low-end crunch, bottom-heavy crackling

Started by Zeno Marx, July 04, 2018, 09:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno Marx

Not necessarily rumblings, but rumblings are welcomed too, if they're dynamic and not merely grumbling along; more of a crackle.  What albums, or tracks, come to mind when you think of low-end crunch?  Also, not to be confused with hazy, low-end, or crude production values.  Those things don't necessarily disqualify a recording, but I'm hoping to also get some recommendations that are dynamic on top of being bottom crunchy.  I suspect this might be more often heard in traditional industrial takes.  That's fine too.  I'm open to it coming from anywhere, even field recordings.  Thanks.

Daniel Menche's Legion in the Walls, and really a few other of his recordings from that early period, are there.

The ambient realm has Lull's Cold Summer.  I was thinking about that album when I was fiending for
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Baglady

Some titles that immediately come to mind...

Zone Nord - Marche Noir /Denrees Diverses LP
Vårtgård - Rått CS (and the Dråp CS as well, but this is the more accomplished of the two)
Hum Of The Druid - Societal LP (which is MUCH more than just rumblecrackling textures, but still) + the self-titled CS on Abisko
Regim - Covered In Blood CS (His most uncompromising tape. The sound of being dragged facedown i a muddy trench for 40 minutes)
and Treriksröset - Sexregler CD (which everyone should have heard, but I need to remind myself to listen to it more often)

Zeno Marx

Hum of the Druid for sure.  The new releases have some great low-end sonics (A Strange Export).  Which reminded me...I neglected to mention Nebris in the original post; a lot of J.Hamilton's recordings are full and crackling, particularly when he's rolling in fire.  Also Einleitungszeit - Aus Der Leichenkammer.  I did a shit job of starting this topic.  I haven't heard any of the others on your list.  Thank you.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

THE RITA HN

Was thinking about some Russell Haswell (Second Live Salvage), etc., but all roads brought me back to OVMN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwFA15Fgh_k

Maybe also DEATH SQUAD - Acoustic Isolation

Understandable, but difficult request as the description of the sound is virtually the core of Americanoise.

Bloated Slutbag

This post is gonna be kinda redundant but will chime in on the Hum Of The Druid, particularly the s/t on Abisko and, just cause they seldom see mention, the two comp tracks from Lake Shark HN #01 and Militant Walls #7- which I think nicely complement the s/t. Subtle depths, ripping texture (Texture the title of LSHN#01.) For me this was a point where the project reached a real epiphany... though in a way I'm glad he moved on as the particulars in question are simply too perfect to revisit.

Torba. Probably my single favorite project in the last few years. Everything is great and like HoTD there is much more to it than crunch, and nor would I say that any one is notably crunchier than the other... but you would certainly not go wrong with recent outings like Gùrvl, ggràn and fjàrn.

Sewer Election. Wreck (of relatively recent note!), Ljungarum Blues, An Ode To Reality. And the Hospital tape. As above, plenty of shit to gentrify the almighty crunch, the full-on riiiiiip, but also a range of nuance and texture, good working through of the channel pan, space, depth.

Of related note- Heinz Hopf. Anything. Starting to approach more wall-ish tendencies, satisfyingly entrenched in filth (and frequent crunch) proper. I liked Ultra Primitiv, much.

Just to mix it up- Dean Hurley, Anthology Resource #1. The David Lynch guy. Not much in the way of crackling crunch or whatever. But one day I had "Electricity #1" through headphones at very high levels and weird static charges started attacking my skull. This actually happened more than once. Freaky shit-
https://deanhurley.bandcamp.com/track/electricity-i

...but there are so many in most any field of classic hn. How bout Incapacitants CCCP & CCPC? Or the more recent Survival Of The Laziest? Or CCCC Rocket Shrine? Perhaps on first blush not entirely devoted to crunch but perhaps just a matter of adjustment of the EQ...

edit
I really like this thread and I hope a lot more will be contributed. Crunch. Harsh noise for the hard of hearing.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Zeno Marx

Quote from: THE RITA HN on July 05, 2018, 08:23:03 AMUnderstandable, but difficult request as the description of the sound is virtually the core of Americanoise.
I hope I don't sound like a dick here, but I've never taken to a lot of Americanoise, including the considered greats.  It's clear I've never heard it like others are hearing it, which is why I remain open to revisiting over and over again.  I both trust in my failing as a listener and in the consensus of many who I respect.  If I heard it like what I'm describing in this thread, I would take to it like flies to shit.

Quote from: THE RITA HN on July 05, 2018, 08:23:03 AM
Was thinking about some Russell Haswell (Second Live Salvage), etc., but all roads brought me back to OVMN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwFA15Fgh_k

Maybe also DEATH SQUAD - Acoustic Isolation
Thank you.  I will look into these.  I've not heard the Haswell or DS.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on July 05, 2018, 06:59:49 PM
Texture
Great word.  Exact addition to what should have been part of the original post.  I reckon texture is bumped, shoulder to shoulder, right next to dynamics in the scheme of these things, at least for me.  So close in many instances that they can be confused for one another.   When I think of great texture, one example that comes to mind is Sickness - I Have Become The Disease That Made Me, but it has the dynamics as well.  I've been describing it for years as broken peaks that feel like there are then two peaks for every normally perceived one (if a visual is necessary).  Anyway...yeah...texture.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

THE RITA HN

QuoteI've been describing it for years as broken peaks that feel like there are then two peaks for every normally perceived one (if a visual is necessary).

I taught a sound artist work shop last year where we discussed and drew literally on poster paper the graph-like lines and peaks in distorted and heavily gated lines of more abrasive sound.  Discussing drama inherent in texture, etc. we took small segments of one of the student's tracks and looked at it closely to see within the different textures and 'peaks' (great term Zeno by the way) we can achieve the same amount of story through dynamism as the whole piece itself.

Major Carew

Also comes under the category of 'Rumblings' but I think low end crunch would define the vast majority of the Mother Savage tapes I have.Kind of half way between crunch and rumble due to the analogue driven nastiness of say, a lot of 90's Macronympha recordings, but definitely a masterclass is how to deliver powerful,weighty, bottom heavy noise recordings.

The low/mid range punch is the sweet spot for most noise, etc. At least for my money.

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Major Carew on July 06, 2018, 02:25:32 PM
I think low end crunch would define the vast majority of the Mother Savage tapes I have.

Quote from: THE RITA HN on July 05, 2018, 08:23:03 AM
Understandable, but difficult request as the description of the sound is virtually the core of Americanoise.

And just because it needs to be said, that core is manifest in the seminal comp of the same title. Almost everything on MSNP went through what I sometimes called the "Macro meatgrinder", but especially so with Americanoise. No so much presentation of American noise but re-presentation according very particular, peculiar, convictions. Compare to the subsequent Underground USA. The latter is exemplary, the former visionary. (It doesn't hurt that the original Americanoise was released on pro master tape, possibly the only MSNP to be so gifted. Sound is exquisite.)

Such perv-visions doubtless had all kinds of influences, some more readily apparent (or acknowledged) than others. Interesting for instance that the Incapacitants sound changed so drastically (if impermanently) round about this period. Knurl too, tapes like Interdisciplinary Optromorphide, Supravital Mephitis, Preparative Suppletion, Symbioplexus. The cdrs in this vein never really achieved the same punishing crunchdepths as the tapes, though perhaps simply a matter of how the analog-digital transfer was carried out. The lone (and stunning) exception- Acidamide (Harshnoise), possible credit for which might be given the label boss (Stimbox). Just quoting from my entry in the Knurl thread-
https://www.special-interests.net/forum/index.php?topic=6088.msg52743#msg52743
QuoteAcidamide, however. Finally, someone got it right. Or maybe someone just knows how to produce a cd (or cdr). Jagged junked fragments struggle heroically to poke through cumbersome piles of shitbilge. When they do (poke through), and they do so quite a lot, the results are positively ripping- bursting with tense, explosive, fury, bleeding out tell-tale hint of scrapsource in just the right measure, before succumbing to bilge proper. Goooood afternoon.

Oh, and just because it's so timely, speaking of the Japan contingent-

MSBR Destructive Locomotion
also- Collapseland

edit
While I'm on this, for yanks influenced by nihons influenced by yanks-
Skin Crime Tsunami
And take you for a drag

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on July 07, 2018, 01:17:48 PM
Acidamide, however. Finally, someone got it right. Or maybe someone just knows how to produce a cd (or cdr). Jagged junked fragments struggle heroically to poke through cumbersome piles of shitbilge. When they do (poke through), and they do so quite a lot, the results are positively ripping- bursting with tense, explosive, fury, bleeding out tell-tale hint of scrapsource in just the right measure, before succumbing to bilge proper. Goooood afternoon.
Not that I want to derail this topic...and not that it would ever amount to more than crickets...but is there a thread dedicated to Harshnoise the label?  I suspect there are enough hidden gems to make it worthy...though...again...likely crickets rather than deserving talk.

I've never heard Acidamide.  Need to.  Can't even find MP3s for it, which is another indicator of how hard Harshnoise was hit.  Burn the books.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Kayandah

Perhaps more bass heavy then low-end crunch but there was a lefthandeddecision CD that was ridiculously heavy on the low end/bass, or at least on my stereo it was. If memory serves me correctly the hidden bonus track was a bastardisation of a modern pop song with noise overlaid, but its been a long time since i listened to it

Bloated Slutbag

Mention of LHD reminded me of Cherry Point Rusted Gut, perhaps less the crunch-heavy crackling more just very full-bodied rumble-thunder. Again mileage to vary as to where one sets the eq / volume knob.

In a similar vein, the Timisoara side of her split with Facialmess (the Facial on this tape is absolutely ripping, so whatever your preference at the appropriate levels heads are very likely to be severed from necks). Again more full-in-body rumble-load than crunch-worthy, but worth mention as this for me defines a certain Timisoara sound. Timisoara produced a tiny body of work that varies quite drastically from one release to the other. But "Genophobia" very nicely reps the live sound- unswerving commitment to very dense, bottom end, heaviness, active dynamic circling cycling layers. The more outputs / amps available the heavier.

As the name Stimbox has lately popped up here and there, crunch-wise I'd suggest SF 1995- the first half. A good deal more crushing than, say, the Crush tape. Released on the Italian b/b shortly after Macro's Crack. (I mention this cause Crack, while still among my favorite Macros, is about as far from crunch as they ever got; more Incaps-esque than Macro to my ear... and apparently to be credited in the main to Stella. Interested parties unable to snag the Crack might refer to the fairly recent Studio 95, which could be outtakes from the same sessions-
https://trianglerecords.bandcamp.com/album/macronymha-studio-95
)

As has been reinforced a couple times, there is so much in the, um, crunch vein, but I think this thread is a great excuse to compile lists of favorites that happen to feature a good amount of the subject at hand.

Quote from: Zeno Marx on July 07, 2018, 08:31:31 PM
I've never heard Acidamide.  Need to.  Can't even find MP3s for it, which is another indicator of how hard Harshnoise was hit.  Burn the books.

I feel your frustration. I was actually frantically searching for the very title just a few years ago to no avail. Bugged the hell out of me that there were no outlets to pursue. None. (Only to discover some months later that I'd had the thing all along, but still...) Yeah, Harshnoise, what to say. So many great releases. Facialmess (total ripper), DCLXVI (ditto), TEF (the only good TEF is a TEF that is actually living), Macronympha (at the edge of the peak), Flatline Construct, Tourette, IDX1274, Ichorous, Phroq, Haters, The Rita,  ... and some interesting obscure discoveries like Metrocide and CJ Borosque... and who the fuck is Pope Joanna... the Sewer Election was the one that led to me nominate the project "Artist most likely to restore harshhead credibility to Sweden"... so on, so forth. Ah well. Better luck next life.
And take you for a drag