Noise utilised by non-noise artists

Started by NaturalOrthodoxy, April 23, 2018, 04:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NaturalOrthodoxy

My apologies if a similar thread already exists.

I've spent today revisiting Cave In's discography following Caleb Scofield's untimely death and realised that (much like his other projects Old Man Gloom and Zozobra) there is an occasional but notable noise presence on many albums (i.e., the second half of the track Controlled Mayhem Then Erupts).

The quality of these passages and the fact that other members/affiliates of this band have worked with people like Justin Broadrick and Dominick Fernow tells me it's probably not someone clueless just randomly hammering at a synth for an "atmospheric" outro but a pretty genuine inclusion of noise elements.

It got me thinking about other non-noise/industrial musicians that have successfully used noise elements in a way that didn't just seem like an afterthought- artists like Tom Waits, GY!BE, Full of Hell, spring to mind but I'd like to know if anyone else thinks about this and has any recommendations.

ConcreteMascara

I think there a number of post-rock, post-metal/atmospheric sludge and grindcore bands that fall within this category.

Neurosis's sample and noise heavy interludes from the early '90s onward set a precedent for that style of music to use noise in that fashion. pretty much any band that tried to bite GY!BE style of epic post-rock mixed with tape music and sound collage has some form of "noise" involved in their sound.

Endon is notable for their harsh noise elements, but there's a history of that in grindcore, going back to Discordance Axis (who had MERZBOW helping out here and there), Narcosis (from the UK) and Mortalized (working with Guilty Connector). I'm sure there older examples in grindcore too.

Also you can find total sound overload from the late '60s/early '70s onward in psych rock where it becomes nothing but guitar noise.

I think maybe the better question is what "normal" bands have full-on harsh noise rather than atmospheric or texture noise...
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

NaturalOrthodoxy

Fair point- I guess I should have clarified that if there are bands out there successfully utilising total noise for certain segments then I'd love to hear it.

I forgot about Narcosis, I was actually in a black metal band with one of their members recently (Cold Fell)

monotome

Guess you are not looking for anything Black Metal related?

Euro Trash Bazooka

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on April 23, 2018, 05:25:32 PM
I think there a number of post-rock, post-metal/atmospheric sludge and grindcore bands that fall within this category.

Neurosis's sample and noise heavy interludes from the early '90s onward set a precedent for that style of music to use noise in that fashion. pretty much any band that tried to bite GY!BE style of epic post-rock mixed with tape music and sound collage has some form of "noise" involved in their sound.

Endon is notable for their harsh noise elements, but there's a history of that in grindcore, going back to Discordance Axis (who had MERZBOW helping out here and there), Narcosis (from the UK) and Mortalized (working with Guilty Connector). I'm sure there older examples in grindcore too.

Also you can find total sound overload from the late '60s/early '70s onward in psych rock where it becomes nothing but guitar noise.

I think maybe the better question is what "normal" bands have full-on harsh noise rather than atmospheric or texture noise...

I think it happened earlier than that. I think about something like Sore Throat / Saw Throat's "Inde$troy" album for instance, which has a really industrial feel. It came out in 1989. I also have a few late 80's/early 90's Brazilian noisecore demo tapes in which the bands don't hesitate to use the words "industrial" to qualify their noisecore and while they won't use samples or synths to make harshnoise, their prehistoric recordings and primitive production make them sound quite close to noise at times. It all gets blurry then, haha.

Also, if you've never heard them, you should check Nikudorei from Japan, they had Kenny/Facialmess in their line-up.

This is probably one of my favourite recordings ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4djQ0d_gqA
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

Andrew McIntosh

Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music" and Hendrix's solo at Woodstock might be the two more common known examples. I also think the sound Mick Jagger improvised on a Moog for Kenneth Anger's "Invocation of My Demon Brother" as a nice example of pre-Industrial.
Shikata ga nai.

Zeno Marx

The Grateful Dead, in their live sets, were doing a segment (later titled on albums and setlists) called "Feedback".  It wasn't just some noisy crap at the end of a song thumbing their noses (think Neil Young with his longwinded, dissonant endings), but it was intentional noise and fucking with sound (later to be known as "Space" and not nearly as aggressive as in the early days).  I believe it was as early as 1968, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out it was even 1967.  You can hear it officially on Live/Dead, and the Feedback track was recorded 1969-03-02.*  There used to be a website where you could look up things exactly like this, but it is gone.  

*whoops...Anthem of the Sun bonus tracks, with Feedback present, are from 1968-08-23.

**unrelated, but 68-09-20 sounds a lot like a Muslimgauze release

***speaking of Lou Reed, I bet The Velvet Underground was messing with noise as early as 1966.  A few of those New York minimalists probably were.  Reed didn't come up with that on his own.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Andrew McIntosh

I once read in a book about Pink Floyd that in their early days they'd play student's parties where they'd drug up and just lay on the feedback layers. And now that I'm thinking about it, The Who's famous destruction of their instruments at the end of their sets, which led to a cacophony of electric and acoustic sources creating junk noise. Also comes to mind Cronos of Venom's live bass solos, which were always just pure noise sets.
Shikata ga nai.

breidahl

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on April 24, 2018, 02:47:54 AM
I once read in a book about Pink Floyd that in their early days they'd play student's parties where they'd drug up and just lay on the feedback layers.
Pink Floyd knew (about)/were inspired by AMM in the early days.

Duncan

Always interested in this kind of thing from a live perspective.  Love the stories about My Bloody Valentine turning even the monitors toward the audience during shows to murder them with volume. Especially awesome when you consider the root of their sound is something very lush and beautiful.  LOVE when something like that takes on a violent quality live simply because of extreme volume.

Personally less interested in what happens when someone who knows and likes noise applies it to their rock band, even though it's always nice to hear an unexpected person name check Incapacitants or get an underground band opening for them.  See Sonic Youth etc

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: monotome on April 23, 2018, 10:35:27 PM

I suppose there are probably a fair amount of black metal bands which have proper noise tracks. generally when I think black metal I think dark ambient interludes rather than full on noise, but thinking on it I could come up with the following bands:

Akitsa
Aryan Kampf 88
Flooded Church of Asmodeus (at least the demo cassette)
Ildjarn (depends on what you see as noise)
Reptile Womb
Ride for Revenge

There are probably a few other bands related to Hospital Productions and Bestial Burst that would fit into this category although it almost feels like cheating since a lot of the artists are actively involved in the noise and black metal camps.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

vomitgore

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on April 23, 2018, 05:25:32 PM

This is definitely a good example. Saw those guys live something like 8 years ago and there was one member doing just noise and sample stuff. Pretty nice beating and hammering on sampler, synth and so on, pretty high in the mix at times. Maybe also add stuff like THIS WILL DESTROY YOU to that list?

DSOL

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on April 25, 2018, 04:33:12 PM
Quote from: monotome on April 23, 2018, 10:35:27 PM

I suppose there are probably a fair amount of black metal bands which have proper noise tracks. generally when I think black metal I think dark ambient interludes rather than full on noise, but thinking on it I could come up with the following bands:

Akitsa
Aryan Kampf 88
Flooded Church of Asmodeus (at least the demo cassette)
Ildjarn (depends on what you see as noise)
Reptile Womb
Ride for Revenge

There are probably a few other bands related to Hospital Productions and Bestial Burst that would fit into this category although it almost feels like cheating since a lot of the artists are actively involved in the noise and black metal camps.

I would also add 
Nyogthaeblisz
Ululatum Tollunt
Tetragrammacide
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

Urban Noise

When speaking of BM with Noise we must set a line on what is considered Noise or not. If we speak about noisy BM, ultra raw BM and all that, is it really Noise or "just" noisy? I ear a lot of noise in BM stuff for the rawness but not that much Noise as we expect in the Noise scene.

That's definitly something that interests me. Specially if mixed together in the music and not used only as intros and such.
New Approach Records
www.nghproductions.limitedrun.com
www.newapproachrecords.wordpress.com
www.nekrogoatheresyproductions.wordpress.com

DSOL

Nyogthaeblisz, Tetragrammacide and Reptile Womb all use noise as intros/outros but also incorporate noise into their sounds.

Nyogthaeblisz - Apex Satanist is a good example of them mixing noise elements in the songs
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"