Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lloyd jones

Joe D'Amato's absurd and buio omega, both just released on blue ray in uk

david lloyd jones

this is a request.
got two copies of 'nil by mouth', both barely watchable DVDs.
is this my misfortune, bad uk mastering, and also, ?good copy?

Ta david

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: david lloyd jones on February 14, 2017, 04:07:54 PM
Joe D'Amato's absurd and buio omega, both just released on blue ray in uk

Severin has Buio Omega & quite possibly, Absurd.  I'll probably pass on Absurd. I remember it being pretty bad until the very end.  I'll be ordering  B.O. as soon as it's announced. Same with Cathy's Curse. Severin has a killer line-up of releases this year!

Wild Beasts is great! It's not nearly as gory as I expected it to be but all of the animal scenes are pretty incredible.

I'm currently awaiting for Vinegar Syndrome's release of Don't Answer the Phone! to arrive...

david lloyd jones

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on February 23, 2017, 09:57:30 PM

I'm currently awaiting for Vinegar Syndrome's release of Don't Answer the Phone! to arrive...

don't answer the phone is scummy in the same tradition as maniac but less celebrated.
vs should hopefully do this proud.

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: david lloyd jones on February 24, 2017, 02:55:26 PM

don't answer the phone is scummy in the same tradition as maniac but less celebrated.
[/quote]

I haven't checked out the disc yet but the VS release has a nice booklet with imagery from the press book & info on The Hillside Stranglers.

bitewerksMTB

Today:

The Unforgiven- quite possibly the last great western  made other than The Proposition? It's not perfect; it was filmed in Canada rather than Spain or the American southwest & the title was changed from "The Cut-Whore Killings" (how great would that have been?!?).  It's hard to think of another film in which the lead character is everything horrible but still, sort of, likeable. That is, if you can actually like a 'killer of men, women, & children... and everything that has walked or crawled at one time or another'.

Der Todesking & Nekromantik 2- I think DT is probably JB's best film (I haven't gotten to Schramm yet). N2 is well-made but runs too damn long. The highlights are the gory, sexy climax  & the bathtub dismemberment. It's too bad Kopp didn't compose the soundtrack.

Peterson

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on February 26, 2017, 03:08:31 AM
The Unforgiven- quite possibly the last great western  made other than The Proposition? It's not perfect; it was filmed in Canada rather than Spain or the American southwest & the title was changed from "The Cut-Whore Killings" (how great would that have been?!?).  It's hard to think of another film in which the lead character is everything horrible but still, sort of, likeable. That is, if you can actually like a 'killer of men, women, & children... and everything that has walked or crawled at one time or another'.

For a despicable main character, I thought it was pretty cute when the scarred-up prostitute hits on him and he fumbles over his drink. But yeah, essential western, best rainy-evening movie ever.

bitewerksMTB

Horror Rises from the Tomb- Paul Naschy kinda looks like John Belushi.

moozz

Quote from: Peterson on February 24, 2017, 02:51:38 AM
For a reason why Godflesh are overrated, check out the video for "Crush My Soul," also a contender for worst song title. And after seeing the Pitchshifter video, I never need to hear that shit again.
I never saw Godflesh overrated in any way. Sure they are mentioned when people talk about industrial metal but other than that? I loved them since Streetcleaner and think they should be praised much more. A shitty video will not make them overrated.

david lloyd jones

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on February 24, 2017, 10:25:27 PM
Quote from: david lloyd jones on February 24, 2017, 02:55:26 PM

I haven't checked out the disc yet but the VS release has a nice booklet with imagery from the press book & info on The Hillside Stranglers.
[/quote]

as a modern slimepiece, 'the hillside strangler' "biopic" is quite the scummy misogynist scab the subject demands

bitewerksMTB

BLUE SUNSHINE- good drug film from the director of Squirm & Just Before Dawn; if it wasn't for the effective soundtrack, this film would be too campy to watch more than once.
If it's a film you're already a fan of, the Filmcentrix Blu-ray release is the way to go. It comes with the cd ost, a thick booklet, & numerous inserts including a couple of tabs of 'Blue Sunshine LSD'. The flashing grain in some of the scenes adds to the film also.

acsenger

Miss Sloane - just watched this at the cinema. A good movie with an unfortunately Hollywood-like ending, but it luckily doesn't ruin the movie. Sloane is a hyperactive lobbyist in Washington who cares only about winning at all costs. Recommended for those into politics, and for those who like Jessica Chastain -- she's smoking hot as usual.

bitewerksMTB

Last night was BLACK MAGIC 2: REVENGE OF THE ZOMBIES- Shaw Brothers Hong Kong horror. I think this was the first Asian horror film I saw starting out in the vhs trading days. It seemed so wild back then on grainy video and without English subtitles. It is a wild film with breast milk drinking, wounds with worms, hammering nails into skulls to create zombies, & some cheap gore but with everything so visually clear, it just doesn't seem quite so wild. Some of the music is interesting; much of it sounds like what you hear in Italian cop movies but during the black magic scenes, it turns into wailing feedback-type sounds.

I wish more Hong Kong horror would hit Blu-ray especially the films involving snakes & insects.

ConcreteMascara

Re-watched Scanners last night for the first time in 5+ years I think. Was amazed by how many lines of dialogue I recognized from their use as samples. also enjoyed it a lot more than I remember. always love when people are constantly getting blasted with shotguns. you almost get that Verhooven level of blood splurts. and I've said it before but Michael Ironsides should be in more movies....

Re-watched Sicario and No Country for Old Men a couple weeks ago. Love both of them. always a big fan of movies set in the desert with that nice color contrast between dusty browns and tans and the brilliant reds and blues.

Recently watched Nightcrawler for the first time. not sure how I felt about it. I could appreciate Jake Gyllenhaal's performance as an unrepentant sleazeball and his fucked up "relationship" with Renee Russo, but some underlying part of the movie bothered me. watching it with an EMT who criticized all the procedural inaccuracies probably didn't help.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512