Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lloyd jones

blood brothers is, I think, a Paul Morrissey film.
cannot for the life, remember the forty deuce director-features early/first Kevin bacon appearance.
recent uk release of anthropophagus beast has docu on times square cinemas.

probably agree that ferox is more enjoyable watch. holocaust, whilst a good film, seems to enjoy a rep for it's paracinema qualities that ferox lacks, but, when watching, i never saw a massive difference (esp moral) between the two

aububs

CH soundtrack is better at being a soundtrack than CH is at being a movie. period.

good movie tho.

ferox is crazier.

martialgodmask

Quote from: KMusselman on December 06, 2016, 12:26:23 AM
just finished season one of Stranger Things on Netflix.  i describe it as The Goonies meets E.T. meets Super 8 (the one directed by Abrams.)  I was born in 1970 and grew up in the 80's, probably why I like it.  Cool synthesizer music.  Even heard Joy Division and New Order to name a few.  Check out the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWxyRG_tckY

and opening credits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPDZkbq0Zp8

Add a shade of Eerie, Indiana too but yep really good series that achieves the rare feat of justifying the hype. Roll-on second season.

ConcreteMascara

watched the Poughkeepsie Tapes last night for the first time. not normally a big fan of found footage movies but this one was pretty decent. my buddy is a really big fan so I went into it trying to like it. it's a bit cheesy and some of the shitting writing really undermines the attempt at documentary style. enjoyable enough, the I don't know the next time I'll have an urge to watch it again.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

absurdexposition

Duck, You Sucker (1971)

A relatively poignant opus with an apt alternative title, "Once Upon a Time... the Revolution".

For a film that was apparently made with no political intentions it certainly offers up a massive amount of commentary on revolutions and those operating within the struggle(s).
The sum of the parts might be greater than the whole, however. Some scenes are really stand-out and engaging, others are a bit dull and dragging but I don't think the film would work without them.

Leone's last western. 7/10.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

david lloyd jones

on preview in uk,
movies for men channel have had some very obscure itallo war films from the70's-often bad but hey they are free.
also us war films about Korea- not known to me before as expected gap between ww2 and Vietnam.- some of these films are actually ok as far as b movies go.and if you can forget that the Hollywood hills are not Vietcong territory!

Marko-V

Just went to see the new sci-fi blockbuster Arrival. I had my doubts about it because a story of a linguist trying to solve communication problem between humans and aliens doesn't sound like entertaining piece to me. Conclusion: three stars out of five. Pros: not your typical machismo-big-guns-laserblasts sci-fi opera, quite nice looking aliens and ships, nice sound design and soundtrack. Cons: one of those annoying films with a 'message' so obvious it looked like a fairytale made for kids, gets too sentimental in the end.

Next in my watching queue is Last tango in Paris BD which is quite interesting because of late revelations about the rape scene. Besides I've never seen it even though it is considered a 'classic' (not that I'm obliged to see every film that's considered so).

aububs

just watched Train To Busan the new Korean zombie flick. it gets a bit iffy at the end but if you want a relentless barrage of insane zombie carnage it'll do the job.

absurdexposition

Quote from: Marko-V on December 09, 2016, 10:45:39 PM
Just went to see the new sci-fi blockbuster Arrival. I had my doubts about it because a story of a linguist trying to solve communication problem between humans and aliens doesn't sound like entertaining piece to me. Conclusion: three stars out of five. Pros: not your typical machismo-big-guns-laserblasts sci-fi opera, quite nice looking aliens and ships, nice sound design and soundtrack. Cons: one of those annoying films with a 'message' so obvious it looked like a fairytale made for kids, gets too sentimental in the end.

My thoughts exactly.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

aububs

i loved Arrival. it's a movie about going to the movies.

and i don't mind sentimentality.

thought it was great.

david lloyd jones

no new films to report, but enjoyed the first 20 pages of this stream to remind me of things watched and enjoyed.
look forward to looking bacward into other old pages

impulse manslaughter

I Just watched The Turin Horse; 30 shots, 2,5 hours, b/w, a few minutes of dialogue, no plot, one of the most nihilistic movies i ever saw..

bitewerksMTB

Recently watched The Beyond and Burial Ground in Italian with subs. I couldn't figure out if B.G. was shot in Italian or not. Sometimes, everything seemed to match up but, maybe, it was only those speaking Italian. I didn't pay that close of attention.

I've got Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer bd sitting here waiting to be watched & Don't Go in the House is on the way. Could make a good double-feature one night.

aububs

kettu

-Prime Cut 1972
Lee Marvin is a chigaco bad ass that gets involved with gene hackmans meat and sex slave ring. hilarity ensues. Young Sissy Spaceks first big movie with lots of good 70s nudity.

great scene, I LOL ed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F77renNKji8

-Circus of Fear 1966
Enjoyable mystery movie and not really horror what I was expecting.  Christopher Lee and Klaus Kinski! The movie is  very Brittish, horseteeth charachters and everybody is wearing tweed outfits.

I couldnt finnish the new gladiators, ill try some other time.