Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lloyd jones

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on January 26, 2018, 02:54:43 AM
A Woman's Torment is a film that should have rotted away instead of being saved by Vinegar Syndrome. Sure, it's a style of film-making that will never, ever happen again but that's not a good enough excuse to go to all the work of watching this thing. There's some oddball musique concrete sounds in the soundtrack and a pretty good, bloody beating murder with some rapid quick cuts but other than that, it's just ugly, hairy people fucking.

I have Don't Go in the House playing right now...

don't.. is a sleazy delight.
upcoming vinegar syndrome issue of 'prey' might interest.
not seen in a few years but norman j warren part of a grubby 70's uk cinema that includes, 'house of whipcord' , 'virgin witch', and other repressed delights.

bitewerksMTB

Fall Break aka The Mutilator- I can't decide if I like this or not. The lightheartedness makes the gory violence more savage and the characters are all annoying but the 'plot' is pretty out there: A young boy accidentally kills his mother so his dad tries to kill him and all of his college friends at a beach house. That's pretty much it so you get that and quite a bit of violent gore scenes. One of the highlights  are dream sequences of slicing open the young boy's throat & shooting him in the chest with a shotgun.  The film could definitely be worse. I know I saw it on vhs but remembered nothing other than the box art. Recommended for die-hard slasher fans or if you find the Arrow blu for low price.

Once Upon a Time in America- goddamn, this movie is long! At times, it's cartoonish & dull but it's also violent including a rather nasty rape scene in the back of a car.  Watch it after Once Upon a Time in the West when you have an entire week free...

david lloyd jones

have a ton of new films to watch after a trip to film fair on saturday-giallos, euro crime,a perverse looking zebedy colt film and some indonesian things.
also got good reading on films.

bitewerksMTB

don't.. is a sleazy delight.
upcoming vinegar syndrome issue of 'prey' might interest.
not seen in a few years but norman j warren part of a grubby 70's uk cinema that includes, 'house of whipcord' , 'virgin witch', and other repressed delights.
[/quote]

VS is also releasing Warren's film, Terror. That one I've seen & liked. Prey looks bizarre & awful so I'll probably grab it eventually. I'm hoping they'll release Inseminoid.

Last night, I watched Panic in Year Zero from 1963, I think?

aububs

watched House on the Edge of the Park last night. gross movie. it's not good. i liked it.

also watched May which i thought was very good.

cr

I've been ill for the last couple days, so between all the nose blowing and coughing,  I had enough time to watch some movies.

Factotum (Bent Hamer):
Adapted from the novel of the same name by Charles Bukowski. With Matt Dillon as Henry Chinaski. Ok, but not really worth a second watch, at least not for me.

Cape Fear (J. Lee Thompson):
The original from 1962 with Robert Mitchum and Gregory Peck. Complete classic. Mitchum's performance as Max Cady is just great, and scary. I have a double disc set in which the remake from Martin Scorcese is also included. It's been quite some years since I've seen this one. Maybe I'll go for it as well.

Bleeder (Nicolas Winding Refn):
Amazing! Well known around here, I guess.

Emperor of the North (Robert Aldrich):
Fantastic! I think it was already mentioned a few times in this topic. Ernest Borgnine as merciless and sadistic train conductor Shack vs. the hobo hero A-No.-1, played by Lee Marvin. The final battle on the train still leaves me breathless. One of my all time favourites for sure.

And starting right now:
L'arma, l'ora, il movente (Francesco Mazzei):
Italian giallo from 1972. Never seen it before, so I'm quite curious.

bitewerksMTB

[/quote]

can highly recommend Dunkirk.  there hasn't been a war movie this well produced since Saving Private Ryan.  visually, deep blacks, but this digital color correction that has been going on is annoying.  remember The Matrix films and how they appeared green?  well, Dunkirk looks blue, at least on Blu-ray.  amazing sound.  our sub had the house shaking.  anyway, the movie depicts the Dunkirk evacuation of World War II which I knew nothing about.
[/quote]

From the review on blu-ray.com: " Color correction was performed under Nolan's supervision, and the master went through numerous passes before he was satisfied with the image. At Nolan's express direction, the disc was mastered with a much higher average bitrate than is typical of Warner's major new titles—specifically, 33.26 Mbps, with peaks that reach substantially higher."

I wonder why he felt the need to fiddle with it? If it looked fine for theaters, why wouldn't it be fine for home viewing?

absurdexposition

Quote from: cr on January 30, 2018, 10:17:53 AM
Bleeder (Nicolas Winding Refn):
Amazing! Well known around here, I guess.

My least favourite Refn but I'm still not really sure as to why.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

bitewerksMTB

Bleeder may be my favorite but I've only seen the Pusher films once each. I wish all of them would get U.S. blu-ray releases.

I've got a used copy of The Burning on the way. Looking forward to seeing the climax in High Definition! I can't remember if it's a head-splitting or a head explosion. Either way, it's awesome.

absurdexposition

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on February 01, 2018, 02:14:40 AM
Bleeder may be my favorite but I've only seen the Pusher films once each. I wish all of them would get U.S. blu-ray releases.

The Pusher trilogy just gets more brutal with each installment. The third one might be the best.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: SILVUM on February 01, 2018, 02:31:59 AM
I don't give a shit about the surprises etc cus I'm into actual death etc, but can anyone PM me the plot, or ruin it here I don't care, for that Hereditary movie, I need to see if I have to actively stand against whatever fucking point it's trying to make.  Is it genetic propaganda or just useless made up ghost shit?

So you're a big fan of snuff films?

I just watched that trailer, which, looks okay but the articles already heralding it as 'the most terrifying movie ever made, this year' is probably bullshit.

Quote from: absurdexposition on February 01, 2018, 02:46:13 AM

The Pusher trilogy just gets more brutal with each installment. The third one might be the best.
[/quote]

The third film is about prostitution, right? That was my favorite.

I use to own a dvd for the first then rented the other two via Netflix. A local store had a used copy of the set but the discs were all rattling around inside so I didn't want to risk fucked up discs.

aububs

it'll be useless made up ghost shit

can't wait to see it personally but i'm going in cold

total blackout

hype is a killer

bitewerksMTB

I didn't read enough to get the plot but I got the impression it has something to do with whatever looniness being passed down through family members hence the title but it could be something silly as the grandmother's ghost possessing the young daughter. I wouldn't be surprised at that, at all.

The British film, No Blade of Grass, is fun & would be ripe for a remake by some hip, progressive  such as Al Gore. He could cast GX Jupiter-Larsen as the lead as they both wear an eye patch.

Did someone here write about The Hounds of Love? I noticed Arrow released it on bd/dvd. Is it worth checking out?

david lloyd jones

"Did someone here write about The Hounds of Love? I noticed Arrow released it on bd/dvd. Is it worth checking out?"

yeah, a new arrow release, not seen any reviews but cover mentions it as true crime in same sentence as 'snowtown', a hard act to follow.
still, sounded interesting enough to consider.

rocksoff

Didn't blow me away, but Hounds of Love is certainly worth a watch. Just a straightforward abduction film with a great cast and period setting.