Special Interest
August 16, 2018, 12:10:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 127 128 129 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136 137 138 139 ... 154
  Print  
Author Topic: Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.  (Read 475457 times)
aububs
user

« Reply #1980 on: September 30, 2017, 08:24:41 PM »

i'm not sure if you'd like La Bete. it's kind of pretentious. but when the bestiality hits it just goes for broke like nothing else

mad foxes is definitely a blast. the version i saw was pretty explicit but i still got a nagging feeling it could have been cut
absurdexposition
Heavy user

« Reply #1981 on: October 06, 2017, 04:44:59 AM »

What Have They Done to Your Daughters? 1974, Massimo Dallamano

Been in the queue for a while and pulled the trigger tonight only because of the 'horror' tag on IMDB. That tag needs to be removed. Not horror in the least, but the good thing is that this came out of nowhere and totally floored me at nearly every turn. The score, the camera work, the writing, the plot, the pacing, the reveals, the tease of sleaze, everything. Recommended if you're into Italian crime flicks of that era (with just a hint of giallo).

Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
http://www.screamandwrithe.com
david lloyd jones
Diehard user

« Reply #1982 on: October 06, 2017, 05:43:57 PM »

What Have They Done to Your Daughters? 1974, Massimo Dallamano

Been in the queue for a while and pulled the trigger tonight only because of the 'horror' tag on IMDB. That tag needs to be removed. Not horror in the least, but the good thing is that this came out of nowhere and totally floored me at nearly every turn. The score, the camera work, the writing, the plot, the pacing, the reveals, the tease of sleaze, everything. Recommended if you're into Italian crime flicks of that era (with just a hint of giallo).
an example of giallo with social conscience (relative). there are several films relating to child exploitation/abuse/murder in a similar vein.
bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #1983 on: October 13, 2017, 02:14:54 AM »

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/see-how-old-films-are-restored-and-transferred-to-digital-blu-ray-and-dvd

Vinegar Syndrome!

garbagebody

« Reply #1984 on: October 13, 2017, 09:51:56 AM »

I've been getting through Konstantin Lopushanskiy's filmography and have loved everything I've seen so far. I have his newest film next on the queue after To Kill a Dragon by Mark Zakharov. I also recently watched Valhalla Rising and Gerald's Game. Both of which were tiresome and plodding for me. At least Valhalla Rising was pleasant to look at most of the time.
Deadpriest
Diehard user

Ignorance is strength.

« Reply #1985 on: October 13, 2017, 06:47:57 PM »

Just watched Snake in June for the first time in about 12 years. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 06:49:50 PM by Deadpriest » Logged

My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/
absurdexposition
Heavy user

« Reply #1986 on: October 13, 2017, 07:39:47 PM »

I also recently watched Valhalla Rising and Gerald's Game. Both of which were tiresome and plodding for me. At least Valhalla Rising was pleasant to look at most of the time.

I think VR is one of the greatest of all time. Just a completely brutal film.

Montreal, QC
garbagebody

« Reply #1987 on: October 14, 2017, 11:34:25 AM »

Something about the lack of character development made the brutality seem underwhelming. Bone Tomahawk's brutality for instance felt much more powerful because of emotional investment and the subtlety of the rest of the film. When i watch these newer films i cannot help but find the ultraviolence boring. Maybe i have nostalgia-glasses on but something about the stylized overproduced scenes of violence don't stick with me.
Petrificado

« Reply #1988 on: October 14, 2017, 11:38:50 AM »

Two episodes into the new Netflix show you Mindhunter. Enjoying it so far. David Fincher and serial killers obviously brings high hopes, if this reaches anywhere near the level of Zodiac I'll be impressed.
absurdexposition
Heavy user

« Reply #1989 on: October 14, 2017, 05:35:33 PM »

Something about the lack of character development made the brutality seem underwhelming. Bone Tomahawk's brutality for instance felt much more powerful because of emotional investment and the subtlety of the rest of the film. When i watch these newer films i cannot help but find the ultraviolence boring. Maybe i have nostalgia-glasses on but something about the stylized overproduced scenes of violence don't stick with me.

I'd say there's actually considerable depth to Valhalla Rising. On the flipside, I didn't like Bone Tomahawk so maybe I missed something there.

Montreal, QC
david lloyd jones
Diehard user

« Reply #1990 on: October 14, 2017, 06:07:24 PM »

Valhalla rising definitely has an intensity to it, despite  lack of characterisation-assumed characters were archetypes here, the one eyed main being odin/heathenism.
garbagebody

« Reply #1991 on: October 15, 2017, 05:13:56 AM »

I'll be watching the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre tonight. Somehow I had never got around to watching it. I think I've only seen one of the sequels/spin-offs/remakes when i was a child and never really got into it as a name. This is long overdue.
aububs
user

« Reply #1992 on: October 17, 2017, 12:42:15 AM »

loved this

david lloyd jones
Diehard user

« Reply #1993 on: October 19, 2017, 07:00:39 PM »

loved this

dunno this, is it old, or is it pastiche?
aububs
user

« Reply #1994 on: October 19, 2017, 07:59:33 PM »

it's not old, it's the new film from the guy who made bone tomahawk, and it's not pastiche although the poster is.

looking forward to his next movie too, Dragged Across Concrete
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 129 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136 137 138 139 ... 154
  Print  

Jump to: