Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aububs

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on March 06, 2017, 11:39:47 PMI've said it before but Michael Ironsides should be in more movies....

michael ironside is in literally hundreds of movies.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: aububs on March 07, 2017, 12:34:00 AM
Quote from: ConcreteMascara on March 06, 2017, 11:39:47 PMI've said it before but Michael Ironsides should be in more movies....

michael ironside is in literally hundreds of movies.

Well he should be in more still... but what I intended to say was he should have larger roles more frequently.

<3
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

aububs

i'd like to see a movie with michael ironside and john saxon as twin brother renegade cops on the wrong side of the law.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: aububs on March 07, 2017, 07:49:46 PM
i'd like to see a movie with michael ironside and john saxon as twin brother renegade cops on the wrong side of the law.

when they're father is murdered by a vicious drug kingpin, two twin brothers must set aside their differences to reap vengeance upon their father's killer.

John Saxon's character is informed at a seedy, rundown local bar. so drunk he can barely accept what he's hearing. Michael Ironside is informed by JS, through the locked door to his psych ward cell. Michael always knew the creeps got him kicked off the force and locked up were still out there killing the innocent. When JS breaks him out, MI now has the chance to get revenge for their father, and maybe even clear his own name....

someone come up with a catchy title and lets pitch this shit!
[death|trigger|impulse]

bitewerksMTB

Watched Devil Times Five a couple of nights ago. I like it enough that I may pick up the Code Red Blu-ray; the best scene (the disturbing beating murder in the basement) looks awful on the DVD. There's a dozen different colors going on. Other than Who Can Kill a Child?, this is my fave 'murderous children' film (Mondo Macabro is releasing the Spanish film later in the year). A great triple feature would be Dx5, Who Can Kill a Child?, and Bloody Birthday... The remake of The Children is pretty good but I'm not sure I've seen the original.

I've scored some great deals on Arrow UK Blu's in the last month or so: Deranged, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (lim.ed. with booklet & extra disc), & Shivers. I'll have to get a new player this summer.

ConcreteMascara

Is the Arrow version of Shivers worth getting? Want to wait for US Blu-ray release, but it's been how long since the Arrow version came out? Kinda getting tired of waiting...
[death|trigger|impulse]

bitewerksMTB

The Arrow UK release was spring of 2016 or so. The first pressing was missing a handful of seconds of minor footage. That was corrected so the 2nd Pressing is fully uncut. Reviews I read before ordering off of eBay is that it looks as good as it ever will (most likely).

I'm not sure when they do it but Arrow does have sales a few times a year. That would be a good time to order unless you come across a cheap copy on eBay (that's where I scored the 3 I listed). My copy was $18.99 with free shipping.

I should have Shivers late this week & there are some who have reported the 2nd pressing disc plays in U.S. machines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfbuRQNXo1c

a_2_g_2

Quote from: cr on February 12, 2017, 05:30:12 PM
After more than 20 years my homemade VHS copy of Ghosts of the Civil Dead is finally fucked.
There wasn't a release on DVD/Blu-ray, was it? Didn't find much about it.
Does anybody know a source where you could download the movie or watch it online?
Thanks!
https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3615349/Ghosts_of_the_Civil_Dead.mp4

cr

Quote from: a_2_g_2 on March 08, 2017, 12:23:09 AM
Quote from: cr on February 12, 2017, 05:30:12 PM
After more than 20 years my homemade VHS copy of Ghosts of the Civil Dead is finally fucked.
There wasn't a release on DVD/Blu-ray, was it? Didn't find much about it.
Does anybody know a source where you could download the movie or watch it online?
Thanks!
https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3615349/Ghosts_of_the_Civil_Dead.mp4

Thanks a lot! But Theodore was already so kind to provide a download link. 

david lloyd jones

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on March 05, 2017, 11:06:34 PM
Last night was BLACK MAGIC 2: REVENGE OF THE ZOMBIES- Shaw Brothers Hong Kong horror. I think this was the first Asian horror film I saw starting out in the vhs trading days. It seemed so wild back then on grainy video and without English subtitles. It is a wild film with breast milk drinking, wounds with worms, hammering nails into skulls to create zombies, & some cheap gore but with everything so visually clear, it just doesn't seem quite so wild. Some of the music is interesting; much of it sounds like what you hear in Italian cop movies but during the black magic scenes, it turns into wailing feedback-type sounds.

I wish more Hong Kong horror would hit Blu-ray especially the films involving snakes & insects.

88films in uk have sub label with about 6of these on DVD/Br combi.
seen four, all fun, and cheap too.

david lloyd jones

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on March 07, 2017, 09:25:05 PM

when they're father is murdered by a vicious drug kingpin, two twin brothers must set aside their differences to reap vengeance upon their father's killer.

John Saxon's character is informed at a seedy, rundown local bar. so drunk he can barely accept what he's hearing. Michael Ironside is informed by JS, through the locked door to his psych ward cell. Michael always knew the creeps got him kicked off the force and locked up were still out there killing the innocent. When JS breaks him out, MI now has the chance to get revenge for their father, and maybe even clear his own name....

surely 'double justice' or 'twice the payback'

bitewerksMTB

Arrow's BD of Shivers looks good & definitely plays in U.S. machines despite packaging saying it's Reg. B

I watched Arrow's dvd of Deranged last night & it's a must-own for collectors of early '70s drive-in horror or movies about the exploits of murderers. It's been a really long time since I last saw this film so I didn't remember much and it was better than I remembered. The corpses created by Tom Savini are pretty creepy especially his mother's & the finale isn't super graphic but fairly realistic. It was Savini's second efx job. Another plus is the booklet featuring text by Stephen Thrower and an interview with Bob "Black Christmas" Clark in which he revels he was the producer and editor of Deranged but had his name removed from the credits.

Criterion Collection re-licensed Peckinpah's Straw Dogs!

david lloyd jones

glad you appreciate arrow's efforts.
like criterion for trash.
I always at least check their releases, with no buys usually die to personal aesthetics.
criterion and bfi have the top end in the bag, (also eureka and Kino lorber for older films)
vinegar syndrome, 88films and arrow are trash end go to's
synapse and monde macabre deserve mention.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: david lloyd jones on March 09, 2017, 09:25:25 PM
Quote from: ConcreteMascara on March 07, 2017, 09:25:05 PM

surely 'double justice' or 'twice the payback'

"Double Justice" with the tagline "THIS TIME IT'S... TWICE THE PAYBACK"
[death|trigger|impulse]

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: david lloyd jones on March 09, 2017, 11:59:50 PM
glad you appreciate arrow's efforts.
like criterion for trash.
I always at least check their releases, with no buys usually die to personal aesthetics.
criterion and bfi have the top end in the bag, (also eureka and Kino lorber for older films)
vinegar syndrome, 88films and arrow are trash end go to's
synapse and monde macabre deserve mention.

One of the things I like best about Criterion is that their aesthetics are almost always top notch. I've got a lot of the laserdisc Criterions, like the Brazil box set and the Se7en box set and they're just beautiful. Some of the stuff re-issued from Criterion's back catalogue have gotten updated art that I'm not as keen on, but the movies always look great and generally the essay's and such in the booklet are interesting. And the fact that they do a 50% of sale twice a year for a month or so is awesome. I imagine they sell a lot of the pricier items then.

Only have a couple of the Arrow releases, but they all look great on all levels. Still a big fan of Blue Underground though. They're releases are often really reasonably priced which is much appreciated, especially when it's the "less important" sleaze.
[death|trigger|impulse]