Humor in noise

Started by Marko-V, December 03, 2016, 10:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan

That essay was very well written but came off almost exactly as I thought it would: punk/hardcore guy with a toe in noise verbally deconstructs the bits of the genre he thinks are stupid because it's easier than having to accept them for what they are.  In any case, it definitely takes the weight out things when you saw the posts on collective zine forum asking for info on certain noise acts that eventually made it into the piece. Whaddya know?

I think people often forget that humour was always a really important part of nearly every movement that came to influence and inspire noise.  Maybe you could even say that a more serious tint on things is something comparatively recent when you take into account these wider entry points into something like noise?  And yes, there is a level upon which very serious and brooding noise/PE is really funny in its overt seriousness and I'm afraid that is something that is hard to disagree with too.  Humour gets looked at exactly like in this thread so often: can work but is usually just a load of idiots seeking low level attention.  Maybe this is because it IS a vehicle which just lends itself to gutter, knuckle dragging chuckles...low/zero skill levels in audio production (in the context of music) so why expect the authors to be comedic savants?  Really effective absurd/surreal/comedic elements in noise are difficult to find and execute for exactly that reason: it is a real skill that not everyone possesses.

For me, the best examples of these things always lie in noise as incongruous art object (quoting CMS Foundation here I think): x2 lp of people chatting in record stores, edition of 3 lp smashed to bits and repackaged as a cassette, Haters 'wind licked dirt'....all stuff with a real artistic intent but a brilliantly funny and ironic streak running through.

HongKongGoolagong

I enjoyed the Spencer Grady chapter simply because it was very well written with a sense of great mischief and malevolent relish. It makes a change from being called a nazi to be called, what was it, undersexed bedwetters. He is way off mark in his conclusions and Kevin Tomkins of all people would seem to be entirely aware of his own absurdity.

As far as humour in noise goes I find some of the more ridiculous shamanic/physical performers like Crank Sturgeon, Arma Agharta, Monopolka/Massive Ejaculation, Filthy Turd and Evil Moisture can be effective. I think also the line between that stuff and more (on first sight) po-faced and serious artists like The Grey Wolves and Genocide Organ is less than it might first seem. As stated above, it's all pretty funny really.

The worst comedy noise act I ever saw was some wacky nonsense called Unicorn Love who purported to be christians. When overt humour in noise is done badly it can be as truly painful as comedy rock.

GEWALTMONOPOL

Quote from: HongKongGoolagong on December 06, 2016, 09:15:32 PMIt makes a change from being called a nazi to be called, what was it, undersexed bedwetters.

You're a nazi or you can't get laid or both. As old as each other and makes no change at all. Having a go at Tomkins off the back of that dog eared cliché proves what a clueless tool he is. Not unlikely he's one who projects his own issues at others. I wouldn't give a bedwetter like that the time of day, let alone publish his bollocks. Reason enough to not bother with that book IMO.

These delicate guilt ridden flowers who have to excuse themselves for being into industrial by talking shite about it. If they are so plagued by it, why do they persist in hanging around? Just fuck off and leave the playing field for those of us who are actually into this.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on December 05, 2016, 11:46:51 AM
Whatever effort on puts to xeroxing holocaust image grain or spending time with modular synth to get odd electronic signal out, is quite amusing when you simply take one step back and look it from "normal" perspective. Of course this applies to most things in life.

QuoteThe life of every individual, viewed as a whole and in general, and when only its most significant features are emphasized, is really a tragedy; but gone through in detail it has the character of a comedy. (Schopenhauer).

Two different perspectives, really. But there is this need for some people to feel "above it all", by imagining themselves to take an "objective" view of things in order to be more "accurate".

I suppose this is the case with these types who are peeking in on the scene and writing about it. They don't want to dirty their pale hands by actually getting involved and going through the hard yards, they'd rather feel they're wiser and better by keeping back and reporting on it, based on their very valuable insights. Seeing things "humorously" is a bit of a current trend, especially on the internet. "OMG LOL!". Everyone, it seems, is sardonically amused by just about everything that is happening. Everyone's Oscar Wilde these days.
Shikata ga nai.

GEWALTMONOPOL

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on December 07, 2016, 01:31:50 AM
I suppose this is the case with these types who are peeking in on the scene and writing about it. They don't want to dirty their pale hands by actually getting involved and going through the hard yards, they'd rather feel they're wiser and better by keeping back and reporting on it, based on their very valuable insights.

In the parlance of Oscar Wilde's days I think such people would be referred to as dilettantes. Today they are called hipsters. Let them yap by all means but for fucks sake call them out on it and laugh them out of town.

NO PART OF IT

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on December 05, 2016, 11:46:51 AM
Whatever effort on puts to xeroxing holocaust image grain or spending time with modular synth to get odd electronic signal out, is quite amusing when you simply take one step back and look it from "normal" perspective. Of course this applies to most things in life.

QuoteThe life of every individual, viewed as a whole and in general, and when only its most significant features are emphasized, is really a tragedy; but gone through in detail it has the character of a comedy. (Schopenhauer).

Two different perspectives, really. But there is this need for some people to feel "above it all", by imagining themselves to take an "objective" view of things in order to be more "accurate".

I suppose this is the case with these types who are peeking in on the scene and writing about it. They don't want to dirty their pale hands by actually getting involved and going through the hard yards, they'd rather feel they're wiser and better by keeping back and reporting on it, based on their very valuable insights. Seeing things "humorously" is a bit of a current trend, especially on the internet. "OMG LOL!". Everyone, it seems, is sardonically amused by just about everything that is happening. Everyone's Oscar Wilde these days.

I have a very palpable disgust for what passes as humor/commentary/intelligence these days, but you hit on a very important element that allows me to be much less laborious and longwinded than I otherwise would have.  The fine line between being able to make someone laugh and being able to offend/upset someone lies squarely on the basis of TRUTH.  Without the element of truth, everything else falls flat.  If I said all women were purple, it would be neither funny, nor offensive, and this is what stands up when I appreciate any element of humor within surrealism, absurdism, dadaism, satire, etc.  Anything less is a matter of fart jokes and whoopee cushions (although someone may show their true colors with the right prank applied to them).  People who think they're funny usually aren't.  People who think they're funny are maybe more pretentious than the "overly serious" people alluded to here earlier. 

A caterpillar that goes around trying to rip the wings off of butterflies is not a more dominant caterpillar, just a caterpillar that is looking for a bigger caterpillar to crush him.  Some caterpillars are mad that they will never grow to be butterflies.

https://www.nopartofit.bandcamp.com

david lloyd jones

Quote from: GEWALTMONOPOL on December 07, 2016, 01:50:07 AM
I suppose this is the case with these types who are peeking in on the scene and writing about it. They don't want to dirty their pale hands by actually getting involved and going through the hard yards, they'd rather feel they're wiser and better by keeping back and reporting on it, based on their very valuable insights.

In the parlance of Oscar Wilde's days I think such people would be referred to as dilettantes. Today they are called hipsters. Let them yap by all means but for fucks sake call them out on it and laugh them out of town.

ignoring them works as well, as hipsters need the audience to be hip against or towards.
always like what I liked despite others, not displaying in front of others

eraciator

Quote from: GEWALTMONOPOL on December 07, 2016, 01:06:18 AM
Quote from: HongKongGoolagong on December 06, 2016, 09:15:32 PMIt makes a change from being called a nazi to be called, what was it, undersexed bedwetters.

You're a nazi or you can't get laid or both. As old as each other and makes no change at all. Having a go at Tomkins off the back of that dog eared cliché proves what a clueless tool he is. Not unlikely he's one who projects his own issues at others. I wouldn't give a bedwetter like that the time of day, let alone publish his bollocks. Reason enough to not bother with that book IMO.

These delicate guilt ridden flowers who have to excuse themselves for being into industrial by talking shite about it. If they are so plagued by it, why do they persist in hanging around? Just fuck off and leave the playing field for those of us who are actually into this.

They should leave us in our "safe space?"

david lloyd jones

eraciator

Quote from: david lloyd jones on December 08, 2016, 08:29:12 PM
'safe space'?

really!

Yeah you know, they shouldn't say bad things about the music we like, because that's hurtful. Us white men are oppressed too and we need a safe space where we can make art about rapists and nazism without anyone criticising it?

GEWALTMONOPOL

'safe space'?

really!

He's a funny guy. He represents humour in noise.

eraciator

Quote from: GEWALTMONOPOL on December 08, 2016, 10:21:49 PM
'safe space'?

really!

He's a funny guy. He represents humour in noise.

Well that's a lovely thing to say, but from my perspective you've made the funniest contributions to this thread by a large margin. 

GEWALTMONOPOL

...said the troll with 20 troll posts to his name.

eraciator

Quote from: GEWALTMONOPOL on December 10, 2016, 11:20:36 AM
...said the troll with 20 troll posts to his name.

Thanks for the encouragement, I'll try and up my game.

Marko-V

Hmmm... I'm not sure which character is funnier: A) a clueless outsider hipster trying desperately to "get it" or get in, or B) overjealoys scenester trying fiercely to defend the 'purity' of his scene against outsiders.