Cold Meat Industry releases that still hold up?

Started by 13, May 23, 2016, 04:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I often hear people say that much of the old Cold Meat Industry catalogue has lost its allure. I tend to agree, especially when it comes to the acts that leaned toward Dark Ambient. Not because those releases were particularly bad, but because the style got watered down by the trends of modern sound design. Huge hall-like reverbs, movie samples etc. Now what I would like to do is to turn this discussion around and instead talk about the releases that still come off as fresh and relevant. Any opinions?  

A few CMI releases I still hold in high regard:

Blood Axis - Blót: Sacrifice In Sweden (Mainly for nostalgic reasons)
Brighter Death Now - Great Death & Pain In Progress (my two favorite BDN releases)
Lille Roger - Golden Shower comp (as a fan of the so-called "Death Industrial" this is pretty much as mandatory as it gets...)
Mortiis - Ånden Som Gjorde Opprør (absolutely ridiculous project, but the extreme level of kitsch has somehow saved it from irrelevance)

Yrjö-Koskinen

I've already mentioned elsewhere that I fucking love Cernunnos Woods "Awaken the Empire of Dark Wood" from the CMI sublabel Cruel Moon. Even more primitive than Mortiis, but also lacking the slightly comical aspect.

When I revisit other CMI stuff, I find that I really enjoy most of what I used to enjoy back then. Come to think of it, I'm obviously not sure I even agree with the premise of this thread. Since I took until now to realize that, I will list a few releases anyway.

M.Z. 412 - In Nomine Dei Nostri Satanas Luciferi Excelsi (Not a very cool theme, but good music - dark, sometimes a bit harsher, always interesting).
Aghast - Hexerei Im Zwielicht Der Finsternis (This I actually like better than I did when it was released - back then I found it a bit annoying for some unclear reason. Misogyny, no doubt)
Deutsch Nepal - ¡Comprendido!... Time Stop! ...And World Ending (The points made in the original post have some relevance for this album, but I still think it rocks)

Any Proiekt Hat, even after all that's been said most Mortiis too... And of course the In the Shadow of Death compilation 7". Lots of it, really. To me, the stuff that "doesn't hold up" never really did.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

F_c_O

For me _the_ CMI project is Brighter Death Now, which has been on heavy, heavy rotation here lately. I must admit, I am more into the direct, power electronics side of proceedings but slowly I have started to understand Necrose Evangelicum side of things too. Beyond this, I don't know much of the back catalogue and I'll certainly check any recommendations made in this topic. One thing I know is that I can't stand Mz.412. It wasn't just dated to me but it was simply weak, at least on Burning The Temple of God LP, which I admittedly checked out mainly due to the LP cover.

Which Brighter Death Now releases do you prefer?

F_c_O

Quote from: 13 on May 23, 2016, 07:25:59 PM
Which Brighter Death Now releases do you prefer?
As I said, I like mostly the power electronics stuff so my favourites are May All Be Dead/Obsessis/With Promises of Death.

GEWALTMONOPOL

INSTITUT - Live Like Traitors, Die Like Traitors
INSTITUT - The Struggle Never Ended
IRM - Red Album
IRM - Oedipus Dethroned
IRM - Virgin Mind
IRM - Order4

BDN of course which has been covered already. 
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

Zeno Marx

"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

ANDROPHILIA

Quote from: Zeno Marx on May 23, 2016, 09:58:01 PM
https://www.discogs.com/Vestigial-Translucent-Communion/release/1371931

great act.
seen live a couple of time. very impressive . lost in oblivion...

I think almost the entire catalog remains very relevant
-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

holy ghost

Here's what springs to mind for me: Nihil DLP comp with IRM, Institut etc, IRM "Red Album" and the 4 Stories for a Crucifixion 10", Brighter Death Now "May All Be Dead" DLP.

impulse manslaughter

Besides the ones mentioned above i love all the Raison d'être output

totalabuse

Aside from the obvious like BDN, IRM, Blood Axis' BLOT, Mz412

i would also add:

Sophia (I love the entire discography of this project!)
Proiekt Hat
Deutsch Nepal
Aghast
Mortiis

I actually think CMI is more relevant (in my mind) than ever... I think this kind of dark ambient / semi digital (at times) style is coming back... Maybe some would not see this for the better? I do!

Andrew McIntosh

Brighter Death Now's "Necrose Evangelicum" will always be a favourite album of mine. Utterly fucking perfect. "They were playing gas chamber games...".

MZ 412's "Domine Rex Inferum" is probably the best release of the band and a high water mark of dark/"black" industrial in general. "A plague on both your houses!".

I still love Archon Satani's "In Shelter", especially the highly evocative "Shelter - Offering" - like a mini radio play without dialogue. "We will all become ambient death heads, if not......"
Shikata ga nai.

cantle

Anything from pre 2006 ish I'd say. At least in terms of the newer bands they never did it for me. Never got into Mortis either.

collapsedhole

don't know if i'd say any of the CMI classics still sound "fresh" but after listening for all these years the dated sounds are part of the appeal of the releases i still listen to.

everything already listed is pretty much the good stuff... i would insist that any/all PROIEKT HAT is golden and probably the best PE the label has to offer.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on May 24, 2016, 06:25:04 AM
Brighter Death Now's "Necrose Evangelicum" will always be a favourite album of mine. Utterly fucking perfect. "They were playing gas chamber games...".
Easily my favorite BDN album.

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on May 24, 2016, 06:25:04 AM
MZ 412's "Domine Rex Inferum" is probably the best release of the band and a high water mark of dark/"black" industrial in general. "A plague on both your houses!".
I really wish they would've included tribal drumming more often, like on In Nomine.  They dropped the ball by not doing so.  I don't think their dark ambient/quasi-PE holds up very well because it lacks that layer.  Not to say it isn't decent atmospheric music, but I also don't feel it tends to stand out.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.