The Noise - Mini Documentary on the Boston Noise Scene

Started by Zodiac, January 07, 2016, 06:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zodiac

Just found it on YT.

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oomAVdZWAVA

Let´s see what you people think about it.

Edit: For the most part, it is 100% hipster overkill. People, who i bet, are against moaning woman in "industrial". I could not resist.
Remember, remember... december.

SiClark

From your description I did not have high hopes for it and some of the acts (mainly the hippy guy singing horribly at the very end) were not what I like to listen to, but some of it was interesting. Looking at the side bar of other videos there are quite a few noise documentaries I will have to watch at some point. Not sure how good they are but will see.

Andrew McIntosh

Switched off after a few seconds. For one thing, the examples given were untalented "free jazz" wannabes. For another, that stupid question "what is noise?" came up. FUCK OFF! It's been over a century since the Futurists declared what Noise is and since then Noise has been defined and re-defined constantly.

I do understand why giving some kind of definition makes sense to the makers of these movies but shit in a bucket, who doesn't understand there is such a thing as Noise in the whole "music" sphere? Who's genuinely that uninformed? It's like asking "what is hip-hop?". To a hip-hop documentary maker that might make sense but to even your casual viewer it's just filler.

Anyway, I'm not interested in "noise" as some kind of general carry-all for anyone who wants to blurt on a saxophone, I know what I want and this ain't it.

This is, though -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_sQMwmYoH0
Shikata ga nai.

GEWALTMONOPOL

As soon as the first saxophone appears you know it's heading south. The people don't even have proper Boston accents and with that goes what could have been an only redeeming feature. Lame!
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

Bigsby

wicked retahded.
i don't think  anybody even mentions Karl Heinz?!
faggots.

holy ghost

Wow you guys really hate saxophones?

I don't think there's any way to do this and not have it come across as total douche fodder even if locally they might be cool people. Although that part where the guy was singing all wack and then climbed into the bass drum, that was fucking terrible....

Bigsby

Noise Vision includes lots of Boston projects

Adrian split time between coasts, so in addition to some Los Angeles stuff his site has a lot of good videos of Boston, New England, and general Northeast regional noise. Lots of touring acts performing in Boston and surrounding areas (Somerville, Cambridge, Allston) as well.

Diagram A, Nurture Abuse, Sharpwaist,  Sewer Goddess, Karl Heinz, 2dead sluts, Stillbirth, Ichorus, Howard Stelzer, Work/Death,...

what's missing? Jessica Rylan, Bereft, Vomit Arsonist,  Xiphoid Dementia,Private Archive, Frkse, Donna Parker, Epaulettes, others I'm sure.

Check it out

https://vimeo.com/noisevision/videos/page:1/sort:date

Bloated Slutbag

A mini-doc which spends the whole time defining noise is probably not intended for an audience with special interests in the field, so I'm not sure I'm qualified to comment. First sidebar link was Milwaukee Noise 2012, which looks a lot more interesting in almost every way. No harm done, thanks for the (indirect) link!
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Zodiac

Yeah. I was drunk as i found (and did watch) this documentary and i said in the first post: i just could not resist (on multiple levels).
It was rather for the fun of it and not for "enlightment" of any sort. About the indirect links, you are welcome folks.
I found vids from Brainwashed next to this: home story with the guy from NWW and one interview like on with DIJ. Totally worth it.

Besides, i am not sure if you guys did ever talk about the "Beyond Ultra Violence" documentary about Merzbow but i found that too
and will watch it the next days.

holy ghost

Quote from: holy ghost on January 08, 2016, 02:02:08 AM

I don't think there's any way to do this and not have it come across as total douche fodder even if locally they might be cool people. Although that part where the guy was singing all wack and then climbed into the bass drum, that was fucking terrible....

I just realized I am totally willing to sit through the 80 minute documentary on the PNW scene so it's not just the idea of a localized documentary, this one just sucked....

xdementia

I lived in Boston for 15 years and worked with most of the people featured in video during the 7 years I was booking shows there. Yes they come from more of the wacky costume noise/experimental field which I would argue is more about "noise" than the other projects mentioned above in the thread which lean more to the "industrial" side of things. Due to the academic culture in Boston (in case you don't know there are A TON of colleges) the academic and free improv noise scene there is huge as is the hipster noise element (which was basically started in Providence that is 45 min drive south of Boston).

The people in the video I know (Marc Johnson, Andrea Pensado, Andrea of Weird Records, Will Mayo) are not at all focused on dark, industrial, power electronics etc. but they are tried and true noise weirdos and dedicated to the Boston scene - although Marc now lives in Philly.

Zeno Marx

yes
Quote from: holy ghost on January 08, 2016, 02:02:08 AMI don't think there's any way to do this and not have it come across as total douche fodder even if locally they might be cool people.
Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on January 08, 2016, 04:05:01 AMA mini-doc which spends the whole time defining noise is probably not intended for an audience with special interests in the field, so I'm not sure I'm qualified to comment.
agreed and agreed.  It's all in the context of who is your audience, and I don't think a doc like that was intended for this crowd.  It's why you don't see similar level/quality articles in The Nation and Newsweek.  Completely different audiences and considerations.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Zodiac

Quote from: Zeno Marx on February 11, 2016, 06:44:44 AM
yes
Quote from: holy ghost on January 08, 2016, 02:02:08 AMI don't think there's any way to do this and not have it come across as total douche fodder even if locally they might be cool people.
Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on January 08, 2016, 04:05:01 AMA mini-doc which spends the whole time defining noise is probably not intended for an audience with special interests in the field, so I'm not sure I'm qualified to comment.
agreed and agreed.  It's all in the context of who is your audience, and I don't think a doc like that was intended for this crowd.  It's why you don't see similar level/quality articles in The Nation and Newsweek.  Completely different audiences and considerations.

Yeah. All true and so forth... i just found it and did watch it. After that, i tought: "Let the guys on SI take part in the fun of watching it...".
Not more. Really. I am a german guy and to be honest i dont have a clue what is going and what not in Boston nor do i care.

EDIT: I just had a funny time watching this. THAT`s it.