COIL

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, April 13, 2015, 12:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitewerksMTB

I like most of their work except anything that's 'techno'. First few releases are my favorites & the "Black Light District" 2LP is excellent.

I have a couple of cd-r releases on a Russian label that have some really good material on them. I'm guessing they're bootlegs.

This song is a favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0OY59P1ZaU

I love the frantic vocals.

Leewar

Who'll Fall? is still one of the most eerie and unsettling songs ive ever heard.

Bloated Slutbag

The drone stuff is quite enjoyable, certainly no complaints from me, though there is better to be had in the vein...

Like it seems a lot of people here, I'm a big fan of certain strains of Coil.  In my case it is the soundscape-y type things, more often than not those augmented by vocals, whether spoken (Red Queen), sung (Amber Rain), or both (Batwings); or some particularly memorable piece of sampled voice (the mentioned Who'll Fall). I'd go so far as to say it's all in the (vocal) delivery. That is to say, for me Coil at its best when content-driven- "Balance-driven".

Check out "Love's Septic Domain", technically a COH track, but utterly nailed by Balance (and Balance pseudonym Louise Weasel).

That live track posted by bitewerksMTB is another great example- and the first I'd heard of it, thanks!

All that said, probably my single favorite Coil track would be "Paint Me As a Dead Soul" - principally for the soundscape-y elements alone.

The Coil strain that I prefer is I think not entirely unique to Coil. I get very similar wibes from the occasional indulgences of Edward Ka-spel/LPD/Tear Garden, Diana Rogerson/Chrystal Belle Scrodd, and (the very occasional) Nurse With Wound, among others. Soundscape-y type things augemented by vocals that are, for the most part, too clever by half. Ka-Spel would be the obvious contender for ownership of this strain, more so since the departure of The Silverman from LPD... but I'm willing to bet there are any number of artists swimming in similar circles that, due to my English-language constraints, fly straight over my head.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Bob

Looks like brainwashed planes to release allot of the Coil back catalogue
http://brainwashed.com/bark/projects-coil.html

Vanitas

Let's see.It has been several years since the announcement but nothing has really happened yet and It will not likely happen anytime soon either.

davenpdx

In the meantime--as highlighted by this article--a lot of Coil material has surfaced on Archive.org.... enjoy!
Mystery Attacks: updates / sounds
Rouge Label: updates

Levas

So it happens that Mike Tyson and/or his promoters knew Coil before quite a bunch of industrial people

http://animalnewyork.com/2014/time-mike-tyson-entered-ring-coil/

Currently I'm going through his book "Undisputed Truth" so it's quite weird to see most likely unintentional references to industrial scene in his life, but why not.

Edit: his entrance is @ ~2:30

Vanitas

Quote from: Levas on October 19, 2015, 06:26:49 PM
So it happens that Mike Tyson and/or his promoters knew Coil before quite a bunch of industrial people

Currently I'm going through his book "Undisputed Truth" so it's quite weird to see most likely unintentional references to industrial scene in his life, but why not.

The truth isn't that exciting..
https://www.reddit.com/r/industrialmusic/comments/3m3vl6/not_coil/

Vanitas

Levas

Quote from: Vanitas on October 19, 2015, 07:52:14 PM
Quote from: Levas on October 19, 2015, 06:26:49 PM

The truth isn't that exciting..
https://www.reddit.com/r/industrialmusic/comments/3m3vl6/not_coil/

Ah damnit. I was so happy for a few hours... Oh well

NO PART OF IT

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on April 13, 2015, 12:38:44 PM
Of course legendary band what has been discussed everywhere for many decades. But here no topic for Coil yet.

Today listened some COIL cd's. Panic is something I didn't feel very strongly in past. My memories of the recording were plagued by idea of slappy-bass funk industrial, but now listening this after many years it is much much better than I remembered.
There is one track what I don't care much, but overall, very nice. I like works with old fashioned sampled feel. It still has "hand made" feel. Little clumsiness. Something that appears "real". Not just "music made of screen". It adds something very different to the overall feel.

But even more, perhaps the best COIL I know so far: The Angelic Conversation CD. Released in 90's, but originally music from the 1985 film of Derek Jarman. It has certainly more cinematic feel to it. Lots of field recordings. Eerie passages of organs/bow instruments. Spoken word pieces. Acoustic sounds. Very good stuff. I wonder if Coil discography has more of this type of stuff? As I have yet to hear other releases what would be this good.

Then again, actually 90's stuff, Coil vs ELpH ‎"Born Again Pagans" split CD ep is pretty horrid to me. There is very very narrow path of electronic beat music I can stand. There is handful of bands I worship, but mostly this kind of "dance club" stuff makes me irritated. And basically most Coil seems to fit on that category, and no amount of non-musical points of interest makes it possible to digest their later works of such style. ELpH is basically just Coil. But unrehearsed, unconscious. Spontaneous sounds coming out from electronic gear. Some of the short tracks are very warm and light, others has much more darker tone. Easily better than Coil dance track here.

COIL and FOETUS are the only acts I could admit to being influenced by. 

The stuff with "Elph" is apparently them attempting to contact some other demon or astral creature.  It is not supposed to technically be COIL.  I wouldn't base my opinion of them off of that release, aside from the obvious deduction that they're drug-addled occultniks. 

You may like "Queens of the Circulating Library" if you like the Angelic Conversation. 

Also, I don't care much for their "beat shit" either, but to me there's not as much of it as you may think. 

I love the intricacy of their sampled work.  I still don't know how they did it.  I've heard the sample sources.  I know they must've had a pretty top-notch sampler in 1984, and even then, it must've been absolutely tedious to make something like "Ubu Noir" on a Fairlight. 

I enjoy "Love's Secret Domain", despite not liking "Windowpane" and "The Snow" (beat shit/hit singles) as much, still the album is great.  Unreleased Hellraiser Themes, Horse Rotorvator, Scatology; these are among my favorites of their 80s work.  "Chaostrophy" is an amazing track from that one. 

After "Love's Secret Domain" you have the addition of Drew McDowall and Thighpaulsaundra, not to mention some appearances by Rose McDowall, and others.  The pace changed from beats to soundscapes and drones a lot of the times.  If you haven't heard "Musick To Play In The Dark" 1 or 2, I would try it before you dismiss the rest of their work. 

I could keep going and going.  As far as this release of "Backwards", I have ordered it, but it's clearly an unofficial release, and I'm a bit apprehensive.  I'm sure it's been cared for better than some of the other bootlegs, but the cover art is not something that I think COIL would stand for in the slightest, so it could be shabby all around.  PLus, it was techinically finished in 1996, and was supposed to be the end of their "beat shit" so it could go either way. 
A caterpillar that goes around trying to rip the wings off of butterflies is not a more dominant caterpillar, just a caterpillar that is looking for a bigger caterpillar to crush him.  Some caterpillars are mad that they will never grow to be butterflies.

https://www.nopartofit.bandcamp.com

NO PART OF IT

I don't own the live CDs, so this is the first time I have heard this version of "The Universe is A Haunted House"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOlxEezOYlA

Previous to that, an earlier version of it, completely different/instrumental drone, was among the things I wished were released in a studio version.
Now I'm finding that there are several different versions of this track, with widely varied instrumentation. 
A caterpillar that goes around trying to rip the wings off of butterflies is not a more dominant caterpillar, just a caterpillar that is looking for a bigger caterpillar to crush him.  Some caterpillars are mad that they will never grow to be butterflies.

SUBKLINIK

The Hellraiser Themes and Scatology will forever be my faves. A close second to Love's Secret Domain.

Brilliant, brilliant stuff.

HongKongGoolagong

Quote from: NO PART OF IT on October 19, 2015, 10:50:59 PMAs far as this release of "Backwards", I have ordered it, but it's clearly an unofficial release, and I'm a bit apprehensive.  I'm sure it's been cared for better than some of the other bootlegs, but the cover art is not something that I think COIL would stand for in the slightest, so it could be shabby all around. 

The blurb for the Threshold Archive releases states that "Without Balance and Sleaz, there is no official Coil release nor will there ever be again. Nothing that bears the word "Coil" is authorized, official, or sanctioned by Coil, as Coil has ceased to exist" - a point worth making.

Backwards isn't the greatest set of Coil recordings although the last two tracks are magnificent - agree that the cover art is poor but really it's just wonderful to be able to buy this from a high street retailer, and Cold Spring should be commended for their persistence in dealing with Mr Hyde to get this as a more or less legal release with excellent distribution.

NO PART OF IT

Quote from: HongKongGoolagong on October 22, 2015, 08:29:04 PM
Quote from: NO PART OF IT on October 19, 2015, 10:50:59 PMAs far as this release of "Backwards", I have ordered it, but it's clearly an unofficial release, and I'm a bit apprehensive.  I'm sure it's been cared for better than some of the other bootlegs, but the cover art is not something that I think COIL would stand for in the slightest, so it could be shabby all around. 

The blurb for the Threshold Archive releases states that "Without Balance and Sleaz, there is no official Coil release nor will there ever be again. Nothing that bears the word "Coil" is authorized, official, or sanctioned by Coil, as Coil has ceased to exist" - a point worth making.

Backwards isn't the greatest set of Coil recordings although the last two tracks are magnificent - agree that the cover art is poor but really it's just wonderful to be able to buy this from a high street retailer, and Cold Spring should be commended for their persistence in dealing with Mr Hyde to get this as a more or less legal release with excellent distribution.

Jon Whitney was given authorization by Sleazy to release and re-release COIL albums, he claims he was the only one, and he's got papertrails to back him up.  He's probably got the intended cover art for "Backwards" as it was intended to be a 2CD before Sleazy died, there is a quote from him in an interview about it.  I'm glad I get to hear it sooner than later if ever, but Cold Spring has been known to rip off artists for distribution, and Mr. Hyde was only glad to give up the Nine Inch Nails remixes when their fans paid him enough - on mp3 - a format COIL hated.   If Whitney wanted, he could probably sue.  If Interscope Records wanted, they could also probably sue.  I understand that Hyde was somewhat considered a Coil member, but that doesn't explain why "The New Backwards" exists in the first place when Sleazy was still alive.  It's not really "more or less legal" to me.  This is a bootleg with shabby cover art, but a very interesting piece of history that Threshold Archives may never get to, so I bought it anyway.  As a fan, I'm excited.  As an artist, I think this is a disservice.  For what it's worth.