COIL

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, April 13, 2015, 12:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Of course legendary band what has been discussed everywhere for many decades. But here no topic for Coil yet.

Today listened some COIL cd's. Panic is something I didn't feel very strongly in past. My memories of the recording were plagued by idea of slappy-bass funk industrial, but now listening this after many years it is much much better than I remembered.
There is one track what I don't care much, but overall, very nice. I like works with old fashioned sampled feel. It still has "hand made" feel. Little clumsiness. Something that appears "real". Not just "music made of screen". It adds something very different to the overall feel.

But even more, perhaps the best COIL I know so far: The Angelic Conversation CD. Released in 90's, but originally music from the 1985 film of Derek Jarman. It has certainly more cinematic feel to it. Lots of field recordings. Eerie passages of organs/bow instruments. Spoken word pieces. Acoustic sounds. Very good stuff. I wonder if Coil discography has more of this type of stuff? As I have yet to hear other releases what would be this good.

Then again, actually 90's stuff, Coil vs ELpH ‎"Born Again Pagans" split CD ep is pretty horrid to me. There is very very narrow path of electronic beat music I can stand. There is handful of bands I worship, but mostly this kind of "dance club" stuff makes me irritated. And basically most Coil seems to fit on that category, and no amount of non-musical points of interest makes it possible to digest their later works of such style. ELpH is basically just Coil. But unrehearsed, unconscious. Spontaneous sounds coming out from electronic gear. Some of the short tracks are very warm and light, others has much more darker tone. Easily better than Coil dance track here.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Vanitas

How to destroy angels cound fit into the same category perhaps.Also some tracks like The Sea Priestess from the Astral Disaster album.
Actually Time Machines is also a album worth checking out.

coughinghorse

Scatology is obviously a favorite of mine, in terms of their whole body of work and experimental electronic work as a whole. While I certainly understand that this record is "industrial" and very important for the development of the genre, it strikes me as far too orientated into observations on magick and finding the occult than most industrial music I enjoy. These themes are reflected in the sound, too. Not that this makes the album any less worth checking out, it is just different. Maybe these just reflect my ears, though. Black Antlers is a fantastic side, which is even more occult and less straight-up industrial but worth checking out.

Vanitas

Coil is one of my fav's band and I really can't praise the band enough.The Ape of Naples is the album I have been listening now the most recently.Black Antlers is a great album also.

Zeno Marx

Unnatural History is an essential collection and an essential experimental collection.  One of the all-time great collections of all genres.  If I want to listen to Coil, it's what I usually grab.  For my tastes, the albums lack focus.  Unnatural History II for the novelty of the Hellraiser themes.  The ANS drones are kind of cool, too.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

ANDROPHILIA

is not easy to choose from many excellent works

ambiental and mistical album like Music to play in the dark 1 & 2 are more rappresentative about Coil weltanschauung.
Incredible mix between '90 electronics and ritualistic music is Love Secret Domain album

The apes of Naples is probably the best work. essential and representative

-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

ImpulsyStetoskopu

"Time Machines" is the peak...

coinbender

remote viewer and music to play in the dark 1  are top notch
but then again i really like pretty much everything by them.

HongKongGoolagong

I only love what I still think of as the three real LPs - Scatology, Horse Rotorvator, Love's Secret Domain. Scatology suffers a little from overuse of dated 80s sounds and Fairlight, and LSD has a dancey track on side one that's very much of its time, but they are very powerful conceptual and complete releases.

After LSD Balance's health problems seemed to take a toll on the output. Everything seemed unfinished and scrappy to me in comparison. I quite liked Constant Shallowness Leads To Evil.

The material being out of print due to continuing lack of communication between certain parties is really absurd.

ironfistofthesun

Coil were/are huge for me...im a big fan/collector. They were the first doorway into industrial..then ptv..then tg.

https://youtu.be/yvaWoImv3CE
at their finest ...criminally overlooked and unused version with mick harris (scorn/naplam) on drums

Steve

I must say, as a rather large TG and PTV admirer (at the time), that I never really "got" Coil. The one sided 12" "How To Destroy Angels" was superb but then "Scatology" was a poor collection of songs ... and like Mr. Goolagong says is very dated with the overuse of 1980's technology. After that I never really listened to them and when I did hear their output it just reminded me of "prog" meanderings. Like I say - just didn't "get" it ... I do own a copy of the Clawfist single "Is Suicide A Solution" though .....

burdizzo

Yes, you could be excused for the "prog meanderings" perception, but I still think "Horse Rotorvator" is an amazing album, and their strongest overall release. Perhaps it's nostalgia, but it has some of their best songs - "Anal Staircase", "Blood from the Air", "Ostia", "Penetralia", etc. I also liked "Time Machines" and "Musick to Play in the Dark Vol 1", and elsewhere there are good individual tracks - but "Horse..." can't be beat.
I remember seeing them live in Dublin - it was the last gig before Balance died - and I was actually a little disappointed by the set: a lot of fairly soft-edged stuff, and lyrics about 'soft fluffy bunnies' and the like was not exactly what I was hoping for...

existence decay

Everything through LSD is great, in my opinion. Horse Rotorvator might be my favorite, with "Ostia" standing out in particular as a great song. I need to investigate more of the 90s/2000s stuff.