PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloated Slutbag

Toshiji Mikawa,Hideaki Shimada,Nobuo Yamada,Katsuyoshi Kou ‎– Quasispecies Four lp
My reasons for treating this as Mikawa-led mutation are twofold. First, he did the mastering. Second, I'm a big fan; everything he touches is his, right? There may be third. The loose-fitting, freenoise disposition, with a tendency, at key intervals, toward char-burnt Borbetomania. Self-identified "Borbetomaniac" Mikawa seems the appropriate name-tag, right? The title "Quasispecies" also has a bit of a Mikawa flair to it, just to nudge in a potential fourth. If all this association may be granted, I'd say that Mikawa (with friends in tow) is on to a good thing. Freed of the brutalizations The Mikawa normally compels in its corporeal vessels, Mikawa (and friends) duly exploits the lush dynamic range afforded in the acoustic accomodations of Hatchobori Nana Hari. Nana Hari, to judge from the b/w insert, is a tiny performance space crowded, in this instance, with significantly more gear/junk than human bodies. A word on the bodies. Besides that of Mikawa (electronics), present also are Katsuyuki Kou (guitar, electronics), Nobuo Yamada (metal junk objects) and Hideaki Shimada (violin, electronics). For those keeping score, that adds up to a lot of electronics. But Quasispecies is as much document of the physical space as it is the semi-determinate species of gear/junk/bodies/electronics on offer. Delicate tensions meet surprised convergences, forced together in an awkward if pleasingly grating dishevelment, thanks in no small part to the artfully-broken junk-scraps Senior Yamada keeps unceremoniously dumping into proceedings, succeeding more often than not in disrupting any attempt at forward motion. This is particularly notable on the A-side, wherein the various bodies struggle valiantly to feel each other out- but keep blindly stumbling on equipment, stubbing toes and wapping heads. Most compelling are the dense textured juxtopositions constantly shifting and erupting through their myriad de- and re-formations, for which credit may be justifiably shared out. Through it all, the only consistently delivered events are courtesy the violin of Mr Agencement, perhaps the one to set the tone on the most utterly shrill ranges of extremity- which is obviously just the temptation certain of the cacophony-inclined were anticipating. Halfway through, someone, let's call him Toshiji, seems to grow impatient with all the dilly-dally. Harsher scathing inclinations drag the cacophonous host to properly scorched levels of indignation. At this point, any sense of polite feeling out of bodies goes out the goddamn window, the considered application of volume knob unveiling an almost completely satisfied indulgence of the harsher territories. The B-side is obviously recorded a take or two later, at which point all participants are probably quite deaf, no doubt tripping on ozone fumes. Here there is no pussy-footing. Things blast straight into the redzone – an exceedingly shrill, shriek-laden, redzone - and stay the twenty-minute course. If the physical space is still being documented, that's all good and well, but this shit is brutal, period. Just when you think there is no paint left to peel, a strategic breaking down of the flat-out. Gaps appear in the solid wall of white, earhole incapacitating piercings blast home via singed wave, percussive screech. Which only, of course, serves to augment the greater brutality. The closing half could be that legendary long lost early Incapacitants album- y'know, the primitive, acoustic configuration of Incaps, back before The Mikawa assumed control. (Only partly facetious here- see "Untitled" from T.Mikawa's I, Noise and apologize quick.) Here's hoping there are more Quasispecies in the mutating.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

eyestrain

WANDA GROUP - We All Mutate Around The Mountain (Second Sleep): First checked this guy out after Mazurka Editions dropped the name. I really enjoyed A Slab... and many of the free digital tracks he has around everywhere. I think this one has me the most captured though - for the more aggressive and consuming atmosphere that he's working with... Iancu Dumitrescu's love-child with Dave Phillips. A surreal conglomerate of field recordings (planes overhead, water passing, sounds about the house) and more exacted, brutish sounds (the digital equivalent to bowed cymbals, static hiss panning - rising - falling). Never symphonic, but somehow accidentally so, in that Edition RZ sorta way. Really intense; demanding of high volume, privacy and intoxication-via-the-sounds. Definitely recommended, and the best intro I think you could get. With that polished, minimal and lush aesthetic that Second Sleep always offers.

DAVE PHILLIPS - I See Better With My Eyes Closed / Ich Kann Gar Nicht So Viel Fressen Wie Ich Kotzen Möchte (Absurd/Estranhas Ocupações): Along with the VICTIM! lathe that Yuri released, this is the best pieces of flimsy, square plastic in the house. This one's a very odd and unexpected piece by Phillips. I'm barely familiar at all with his gargantuan discography, so maybe this fits somewhere in the mix, but to me, these seems like a unique experience. A big ball of a fucking mess of deep piano thuds, metal bashing, quasi-80's percussion, the squeals of children or animals or women or I-don't-fucking-know. It's as cantankerous, agitating, and terrifying as DP could get when he turns the volume up. No insects buzzing about the field, but more of a early Schimpfluch-Gruppe sounding moment of non-hilarious experimentation and that dystopian field that his mind seems to dwell in. Holy shit! The best four or so minutes you're likely to get. And you're blown away at the finish to realize this is a live recording!

YSENGRIN - Archivum MMV-MMX (Self-Released): Probably my greatest fascination in metal for the last month or so. Been ogling over Guido's more professional and refined works, but even these early recordings have that charm, that honesty, that passion that is making this project so real for me. There's also the fact that I'm immediately sold on anything bass-centric, so I'm being a little unjust here maybe, haha. Certain tracks seem to be devoid of guitar completely (which I do believe is the future incarnation of Ysengrin anyway). Plodding, drunken drumming carries it all through the maze of Mortuary Drape meets King Diamond meets Unholy meets Master's Hammer perfection. Strong emphasis on organs and acoustic guitar at all the right times. Guido's vocals are an incredible deep rasp; well-pronounced yet utterly indecipherable (and I don't speak French anyway haha). Medieval, but never corny. Gothic, but never corny. Occult, but never corny. I can recommend everything by Ysengrin. To Endotaton probably holds the greatest power for being so precise and methodically perfected. Archivum... though, has a certain mystique and thuggish power that none of the other non-demo works possess.

KrueltyKampaign

Organisation Toth - The Sword Of Creation
What can i say ? After all this years since "The Voice Of T.err.O.r" this one is somehow better. I quite like it. It is different in sound and feeling.

FreakAnimalFinland

SUTCLIFFE JUGEND "Pursuit of Pleasure " LP
4iB
I have been kind of 50/50 whether I should get this. I had been long intending to cut myself loose from fanboy relationship with SJ, hehe. And perhaps I have managed to do that anyways. But I thought if there is possibility to get it easy, and without being too expensive, then I'll check it out.
Now, some years later, rotated it few times. Conclusion is that I can't fully decide what to think about this. It sits well to later days SJ discography, meaning that it is lightyears away from the greatest works. But at the same time so different, that one should not judge it merely against works of '82. I'm tempted to say that there is actually pretty good dose of nice material. Songs made of multi-layered textures of what appears as digital-electronics and multi-effects. Sound is clean and lacks all the filth, but at the same time, between less exciting pieces, there are good tracks. This certainly beats albums like Transgression, With Extreme Prejudice, Fall of the Nature and Pig Daddy. It doesn't go on level of Blue Rabbit. That said, it seems like SJ indeed has gotten stronger again by the time. Probably need to give a chance for SJ/Junko CD!

For some weeks now, almost entire month, been mostly going through tons of metal & punk releases. Mainly because of being so busy, that it has seemed to be waste to listen sound what requires lots of attention to detail. Lots of recorded I know already, and don't lose much when missing a bit of song when running from room to the next or doing mailorder packages... hah.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Human Larvae

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 01, 2015, 08:51:12 PM
SUTCLIFFE JUGEND "Pursuit of Pleasure " LP
4iB
I have been kind of 50/50 whether I should get this. I had been long intending to cut myself loose from fanboy relationship with SJ, hehe. And perhaps I have managed to do that anyways. But I thought if there is possibility to get it easy, and without being too expensive, then I'll check it out.
Now, some years later, rotated it few times. Conclusion is that I can't fully decide what to think about this. It sits well to later days SJ discography, meaning that it is lightyears away from the greatest works. But at the same time so different, that one should not judge it merely against works of '82. I'm tempted to say that there is actually pretty good dose of nice material. Songs made of multi-layered textures of what appears as digital-electronics and multi-effects. Sound is clean and lacks all the filth, but at the same time, between less exciting pieces, there are good tracks. This certainly beats albums like Transgression, With Extreme Prejudice, Fall of the Nature and Pig Daddy. It doesn't go on level of Blue Rabbit. That said, it seems like SJ indeed has gotten stronger again by the time. Probably need to give a chance for SJ/Junko CD!

I was quite impressed by the last SJ show in Berlin last month, very heavy atmosphere. Best set I have seen yet, so I think the next album will be worth getting.

THE RITA HN

QuoteSUTCLIFFE JUGEND "Pursuit of Pleasure " LP

I enjoy the album.  Hard to beat the title.   

pentd

Pierre Schaeffer -- L'Oeuvre Musicale /3xCD (INA GRM)

happen to have a huge pile of "check-these-out" from the last 6 months but this hasn't left my stereo for more than a week, everything has been jazz stuff almost since autumn haha... anyway, quite a mindblowing box, most material sounds like it's hard to pin down the date, and when reading the booklet & seeing the dates my other braincell explodes too. perfect balance between dirty and cleaner sounds. easier to digest than some megalomanic 10cd monsterboxes.... and cant remember if i EVER liked poetry in german but even that is right on.

for music i always get back to monk, jordan and lacy, for sound i can't get enough curtis roads....

Andrew McIntosh

Listening again to the Ultra box set and I've worked them out - this is what The Residents would sound like if they went Industrial. I knew I liked this for a reason.
Shikata ga nai.

Grübelschlinge

Quote from: Human Larvae on July 01, 2015, 09:27:45 PM

I was quite impressed by the last SJ show in Berlin last month, very heavy atmosphere. Best set I have seen yet, so I think the next album will be worth getting.

Think the Berlin performance was weak, especially compared to Ramleh in Berlin some months before, as an outstanding show of an old rager still delivering. But maybe different taste here.

manuelM

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 22, 2015, 04:15:55 PM

VOMIR / MIXTURIZER split tape

R.O.N.F.
Vomir is vomir. That's all. Mixturizer on b-side offer much more alive and diverse material. Despite being what you could lump in HNW genre, it has element of thing happening, so 20 mins track offers much more substance. It seems Manuel just returned to activity recently after short hiatus! We'll see if Mixturizer gets back in action too...

thanks, I am back in action... playing and recording sounds in rehearsal room... that's life!! >:)

eyestrain

Arbiter - Negatively-Existent Cell (Fieldwork): A juicy, sub-massive heap of synth pulsations and tastefully-used metal sounds. The perfect soundtrack to a two-part, 20 minute film of apocalyptic decay or aggressive sexual fantasy - or both. Arbiter seems like the step out of the harsh noise rabbit hole that the label is inhabitant of. The first movement holds a darker, subdued presence, whereas the conclusion gets a little more hectic. Violence through glazed eyes. I love Fieldwork's aesthetic (I'm very late to the game here), sound and visual.

Various - Incipit Musica Catolica (Sub Rosa): A look into the enormous reach of Catholic music's stylistics. Touching on Hungary, Germany, Italy and probably more. Saturated with just the perfect amount of grit. All caught up in the male choirs you'd expect, more classical-tinged works and some straight tribal drum work. Wild! Worth it just for the Hildegard of Bingen art on the front.

Vapaudenristi - Tuomittu Vihaamaan (This Means WAR): Love everything I've heard by this project. Perfectly executed RAC-style rock. Ei Maata Ilman Kansaa has had endless replays here. I was thinking how great this 7" was, when I realized my wife was home --- she and the dog were dancing to "Usko Ja Vimma" in the living room, haha. Big hit around the house obviously.

Grübelschlinge

GISM "determination" CD
Couldn't resist to buy and finally after more than 15 years I finally own an official version of one of my favourite Japanese records. Remastering job is done quite good. Interesting how evil and strange the music still sounds today. Artwork???  "privately owned international jew banks finance both sides in a war, making a killing from military spending".

Peterson

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on July 07, 2015, 10:02:28 AM
Listening again to the Ultra box set and I've worked them out - this is what The Residents would sound like if they went Industrial. I knew I liked this for a reason.
Couldn't agree more. Dunno if you've heard HNAS (Hirsche Nicht Aufs Sofa - "no deer on the sofa!"), but at one point, the lineup included all of "classic era" Ultra. I've found them to be very hit-or-miss, but if you're comparing anything by any of these guys with The Residents, I think you'll like at least a few HNAS albums. One of them translates to "Thoroughly Arbitrary," or something like that, and I think they pretty much nail the Krautrock sound and attitude in a way all thier own with the released I've heard and enjoyed. I found the others, well, throughly arbitrary, and pointless. I think HNAS were somewhat taking The Residents a step further, and Ultra was a kind of diseased branch off the HNAS tree.

acsenger

Regarding H.N.A.S., I think I have their Melchior (Aufmarsch Der Schlampen) album, and it was a disappointment. Arbitrary and pointless indeed for my taste. Out of curiosity, Peterson, which album are you referring to that you liked? I had a look at their discography but with my limited German I couldn't find anything meaning "Thoroughly Arbitrary."

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: Peterson on July 10, 2015, 11:14:12 PM
Dunno if you've heard HNAS (Hirsche Nicht Aufs Sofa - "no deer on the sofa!")

I hadn't, although I had read about them, so I had a bit of a listen on YouTube last night. I hear what you mean. Some pretty nice sounding material (their side of the split with Vox Populi), some a little more trying (material from "Tonnenschwer Im Abendkleid", nothing bad but a bit too light for mine), but certainly that, what I could call for want of a better term "essence of music", reminds me of The Resident's minimal melodies, as well as a certain atmosphere that's focused experimental.
Shikata ga nai.