PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on October 23, 2014, 02:51:16 AM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on October 22, 2014, 09:35:00 PM
Kazumoto Endo And Emanuele Bonini‎ "Rumore Da Ritorno Audio Metallico" CD
Audio dissection
After listening quite a lot of Endo & Killer Bug recently, to me, this appeared as quite lazy and uninspired work. I mean Endo part. Yeah yeah, it's cut here, cut there, burst, feedback, abrupt cut, but goes nowhere, and very few sounds stay long enough to make impact. Lack of saturation is one issue. Another is, that he's done SO much better, that good just ain't enough... But to me, it all changes when Bonini tracks starts. Also artists I listened plenty over the recent months. And to me, for my tastes, Bonini crushes endo 10:0. As simple as that. While realm of sounds may appear fairly similar (which is logical in case of collaboration), compositionally it is entirely different case. Bonini isn't all about short seemingly random cuts of bursts, but he can actually settle on something good for few seconds longer. Even if we're talking about ABC of cut up noise. Like throw in stutter-loop for 5 secs and then unleash heavy duty free form harsh blast with extensive frequency sweeping. We've all heard that, but when you do it with good taste, certainly listen again with pleasure!

Regarding Endo, I think these are mostly fair criticisms, particularly if one goes in expecting something like While You Were Out 2.0. With the Endo mixes, there is certainly no clear progression with anything like an end in sight; though I would hardly say "random", the timing as such is just about my speed. Perhaps one could come away feeling the composer was unsure how to approach an already rather full-bodied mass of sound. Could also depend upon the mileage you get out of the actual materials in play versus, say, how they are cut-up / re-arranged. Personally, every time the full blasts hit with all force, I have a mini-orgasm; try to do too much with that, and I may well feel the composer is over-compensating. As for saturation, the pure blunt force trauma puts that issue to rest.

I fully agree that, as the Bonini mixes progress - and they do (clearly progress) - the full depth of possibility really does come to life.

I thought I'd come back again to explain myself a little better (I hope), re- the Endo.

On review, I find it difficult to believe there are much in the way of "cut-ups" informing the Endo mix. Listen to track 4 and the first clear "cut" comes in after a minute's worth of heavily-distorted metal-bashing racket- hardly the spastic cut-up attack. To get a sense of what a more cut-up approach to this material might sound like, we could refer to his Hard Panning track. Very similar in taste and texture but fairly different in execution, not at all out of place straight after the very high-velocity TEF. Active, dynamic, in a state of constant deformation and recombination, one could gather that more "work" went into Endo's HP submission. But is it any better?

As averred in my initial comments, the Endo mix is (for me) principally about texture. The texture you might get from heavily distorted loads of metal-bashing racket; maybe with a bit of HNW aesthetic thrown in for good measure. One does not really sink into this wall, but is rather disturbed, repeatedly, by the very percussive nature of the constant, off-kilter, hammering. This is in fact a very brutal sound, which to me may only be enhanced the more for any apparent lack of "saturation". A day "reviewing" this and my ears are shot to shit. (And the Bonini mixes are certainly no help in this (in)capacity).

What to add? Aside from my tendency to, er, enthuse, which apparently can't be helped, the principle comment of mine I'd take issue with was in suggesting that this collab finds Endo in his "comfort zone". Given the number of things Endo has offerd in this vein (eg. none that I've heard), it would be safer to say he's, um, NOT in his comfort zone.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

FreakAnimalFinland

I'm not sure what Endo uses here, but compared to lets say some more computer plagued works on Hard Panning, his stuff doesn't appear in same way cut up. I mean, it is short burst of sound, but to me it sounds like it could be someone playing live. Not just short cuts sliced and assembled on computer editing screen? Sometimes the "clumsiness", or maybe rather say simplicity, is more like hammering pedals and play buttons, rather than nerds & software? I may be wrong, but this is impression I got.

But as opposite of cut-up. Todays playlist has great VANESSA AMARA LP (posh isolation), which is epic organ hymns and almost kraut-rock kind of moments, but most of all, continue HIJOKAIDAN "THE NOISE" 30xCD. Discs #7, 8, 9. Can't believe how G R E A T stuff there is. Like disc #7. Fuck. I think better than most albums. But to be part of 30xCD box, it's never going to be recognized among the classic albums of Hijokaidan. Never. I doubt it will be even listened by many people more than once. This is the bad side of overtly huge box-sets. Perhaps at the best Jojo + Mikawa duo works, what are so painful, they are like Japanese noise version of early Sutcliffe Jugend! Feedback. More feedback. Few shrieking vocals. Feedback. Loud raw noise. electronics. Feedback. All high pitched. All ear-bleedingling violent. AAAARRGHH!! If some Hijokaidan fanatic wonder should he buy this box-set or some of the other collaborations or such. Forget the J-pop and jazzy stuff. Invest on THE NOISE!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

SiClark

Caligula031 / L.C.B. ‎– Final Muzik CD-Singles Club 06 (FinalMuzik)

Have been listening to this single a lot recently. Caligula031 is on fine form, L.C.B. I haven't heard before but like his tracks a lot. Looked on discogs and he has a lot of recent releases. Any recommendations of a good release to start with with L.C.B.?

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on October 24, 2014, 08:02:58 PM
I'm not sure what Endo uses here, but compared to lets say some more computer plagued works on Hard Panning, his stuff doesn't appear in same way cut up. I mean, it is short burst of sound, but to me it sounds like it could be someone playing live. Not just short cuts sliced and assembled on computer editing screen? Sometimes the "clumsiness", or maybe rather say simplicity, is more like hammering pedals and play buttons, rather than nerds & software? I may be wrong, but this is impression I got.

Yeah, that was one impression I was tempted to suggest - I actually deleted the phrase "sounds more like a live-to-tape recording as processed in a live setting" (with reference to both comp and collab tracks). But I just didn't want to assume too much. These are the things of which I do not know and do not care to know. Regardless of what went into the respective Endo offerings, or how they might sound in a larger body of work viz a comp a collab or a prior cut-up benchmark, the impact in isolation is pretty much the same, and-  if you are me- not to be understated.

That said, it does seem apparent that Endo is working through some new gear; something I'd personally welcome. (Endo moving AWAY from laptop; imagine that.) Will be interesting to hear where he goes with this, hopefully within the next decade!

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on October 24, 2014, 08:02:58 PM
HIJOKAIDAN "THE NOISE" 30xCD. Discs #7, 8, 9. Can't believe how G R E A T stuff there is. Like disc #7. Fuck. I think better than most albums.

No difference of opinion here! As put forward in the Hijokaidan thread, even the closing track from disc 7, though essentially a single unadorned feedback tone through which shredded fits of rawness bleat, absolutely scorches.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Dr Alex

Dissecting Table / Sektor 304 - Utopia / Decay LP (DT material is good but nothing special, S304 is absolute masterpiece!!)
Skin Area & Jarl - La Petite Mort LP (I never heard this kind of atmosphere. Very great and very special.)

bitewerksMTB

THE EQUESTRIAN VORTEX 10", Death Waltz Originals- killer death industrial-type  sounds using voice reels from the film "Berberian Sound Studio" plus a woman screaming arranged, etc. by Andrew Liles. Pretty cool. I haven't seen the film so not sure what the connection is.

REGOSPHERE "insomnia" tape, Danvers State Recordings- excellent industrial electronics. I thought I had heard Regosphere before but now I'm not so sure but definitely going to have to check out more.

WHITE POWER comp LP- new bootleg, nothing to add to how great the line-up is. Sound quality is very good! It isn't anything to look at, just white sleeve with 2 loose inserts & cheaper than an original copy of the tape.

Duncan

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on October 29, 2014, 08:55:13 PM
THE EQUESTRIAN VORTEX 10", Death Waltz Originals- killer death industrial-type  sounds using voice reels from the film "Berberian Sound Studio" plus a woman screaming arranged, etc. by Andrew Liles. Pretty cool. I haven't seen the film so not sure what the connection is.

Liles and a few other recognisable names worked on a lot of the sound design etc on that movie.  Also features a very brief cameo from the Bohman Brothers. Good film! Recommend a blast.

bitewerksMTB

GNAWED "Fissures" tape on Manical Hatred- killer heavy electronics with junkmetal, processed vocals, & feedback. I have the recent cd on Malignant waiting to be played next...

collapsedhole

gnawed's malignant cd is much more on the death industrial side, "fissures" is great, much more PE/noisier.. for some reason i thought the project was "hnw" years ago so paid no attention, after receiving that tape though i have slowly been acquiring more of his older work and seem to always be impressed.... the split tape w/ breaking the will is a good one as well.

Levas

The Oval Language - Tapes singles and remixes - Pretty interesting sound of art / noise compilation. It's mostly interesting because it's nicely listenable, dubbed to tapes and then released to cd etc.

Maurizio Bianchi / M.B. - Computers S.P.A / COM.SA - nothing much to say about this. Bleep-blop. Got bored quite quickly.

Michael Idehall - Deep Code - good tape. Rarely something interesting with beats attracts my ears, but this is it. Somewhat dark and damp recording.

All your Sisters - Modern Failures - post-rock tape. I don't remember the first All Your Sisters output, but enjoyed this quite a lot

Ashburn County - Our Dead Selves Rise - A Collection - Melancholic and nice piece of work.

Rhume Carabine - Sourire Joie - Various loops, etc. Experimental/industrial music. Wasn't bad though.

Ovna - Chaos et Sexual - from the same label I guess. Green tape. likeable material.

Obšrr - Nustebusiam nebūti - Perhaps the most painful and dark album of this Lithuanian act. Unfortunately he releases only up to 30 tapes every time.

Iron Clad - Strike to Kill - Short, but awesome tape! Pure filth and awesome vocals. I'd say too short, but wel..

Dead Body Collection & J. Adolphe - Deep into the Halls - Very nice collaboration. Wall is not completely static, but also has a very good mood in it. Recommended.

ANDROPHILIA

Nicola Vinciguerra Plays Tomba Emmanuelle

new work from my friend Tisbor is very mature

obscure deep sounds
-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

Ashmonger

Shiver - Black feathers (C40, Cruel Nature Records): Neat layout on this tape. As far as I know it's already sold out (which means some more should have been made). Got this since I quite liked the split tape with Sterile Garden & the advance track that could be listened on soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/cruelnature/shiver-black-feathers). Most of the tape is still the same style as on the split tape with Sterile Garden. Various sounds giving an organic, at times ritualistic atmosphere. However, on this tape there's a couple tracks which do combine this ritualistic, obscure sound/atmosphere with more typical PE sounds and vocals. And it works really well. This is for example the case in the sample track that can be listened to on soundcloud. Check it out.

Kevlar - Alpha Strife (CDr, self released): First thing one notices is the sober yet nice presentation. CDr housed in a big cardboard envelope with logo on it. CDr with logo and a nice insert and logo sticker. Music is really good, oppressive Industrial/Power Electronics, mostly without vocals. Don't know what more to say, aside from "check it out" and "thanks to Gewaltmonopol for recommending this over here, it really got me interested and for a good reason".

Intolitarian - Omnicidal Murderer (single-sided 7", Deathangle Absolution Records): First recording of this Noisecore project from Antichrist Kramer. Good stuff, I also really like the feedback/harsh noise onslaught in the last minute (more or less). Layout looks fine. Quality of the cover is low though. Just normal/thin paper with a one sided print (same as the recently released Reek of the Unzen Gas Fumes & Wertham covers). Also, the center label of the 7" is designed to be a 7" with a big center hole, but instead it's made with a small hole like most 7"s. Even though I know that a lot of shit has been going on at the DAR camp, it's still pity from a label that used to put much emphasis on presentation.

tiny_tove

Quote from: Si Clark on October 25, 2014, 11:14:02 AM
Caligula031 / L.C.B. ‎– Final Muzik CD-Singles Club 06 (FinalMuzik)

Have been listening to this single a lot recently. Caligula031 is on fine form, L.C.B. I haven't heard before but like his tracks a lot. Looked on discogs and he has a lot of recent releases. Any recommendations of a good release to start with with L.C.B.?

he's done a lot of good stuff. my fave actually is its 7"

this is another track we worked on together for a forthcoming cd of him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh_00msRIZQ
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Zeno Marx

Quote from: eyestrain on June 04, 2014, 02:30:38 AM
Niyaz - Nine Heavens (Six Degrees): Following on ZenoManx's mentioning of this album, I streamed it during a long run today. Really a phenomenal piece of Iranian music and the only reason I can think that the average Dead Can Dance fan wouldn't be in to it, is simply the association. DCD has that goth/post-punk past that they wish to shake off, but can't due to a large metal-punk autistic fanbase. They also play big festivals with other trendy acts, while, for instance, Niyaz is playing a concert up in Connecticut in a few days at the "Transformational Healing & Expressive Arts Festival". The whole Reiki-guru association doesn't gel with a lot of folks, heh. Anyway, thanks for the mention, I really, really love this act's music!
trance-inducing  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-5sPQvb1QY  (two more tracks from that recording from the same uploader)
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

E.D.K.W.A.R.

Gloomy midwest day...lots of sleep and coffee..."STRENGTH AND HONOUR", by SATANIC WARMASTER does the job...fuck egalitarianism...'THE BALZING TORCH OF DEATHS MAJESTY!"..sounds great on my newly handed-down 1960s Fishman speakers..surely going to be followed by CD re-issue of Sol Invictus behemoth, "LEX TALIONIS", a true masterpiece of neofolk genre. Crushing dark synths, martial percussion, and some of the most miserable vocals ive ever heard....