Special Interest
July 01, 2022, 07:26:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 564 565 566 567 568 569 [570] 571 572
  Print  
Author Topic: PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS  (Read 3887632 times)
NUDE_MAJA_GOYA

« Reply #8535 on: May 13, 2022, 10:30:17 PM »

V/A - Etat Bruit –Switzerland 5x7” (Scrotum Production – SP0408)

It’s surprising to me – as a Schimpfluch fanatic (to a point) – that this thing is still ‘around’ for ‘decent’ prices.  Five seven inches in a metal box limited to 200 copies, feels like it should be ‘gone’.  Front and back of the case have title / limitation / contents - stickers, clean design works well with the natural corrosion of the film canister - that all the contents perfectly fit within.  Has the ‘play loud’ instructions that often appear, in this case taking the form of “CAUTION: Play Only At Maximum Volume”.  Also tossed in are some earplugs (which even those appear to have custom printed art inside the mini container) and a strip of loose film (seems to be a few frames of some cleaning product).  All avant projects from Switzerland here.  Each record a different color (like candies), and each record having printed art labels and a perfectly cut circular insert, matching paper color.  As a physical object this is perfectly executed.

OP Rechts: Trio work here, the text references to D’Annunzio and the overall word choice suggests a very industrial – as in horrors of society approach.  Clearly recorded material with open space and room for each element.  An approach that sounds like people genuinely listening to each other (assuming it’s ‘performed’ vs ‘assembled’), almost sounds like a dirtier version of 00’s era Japanese Onkyo stuff due to the clarity, but the industrial lineage becomes apparent as the rhythmic and looping aspects fade in – all keeping a sort of uncomfortable decaying research lab sound.  Densities build and dynamics shift intelligently.  The B side opens with explosions, breaking glass, German speech, more extremely well considered texture layering and even sample loops are mixed where they fit with the other sounds instead of having a jarring disconnect in fidelity which can happen especially if you use a low sample rate, and again, has to be stressed, these guys are using their ears, the orchestral layering at the end is very well done.  I’m convinced, wish I had the LP now.

Maggot Bile: This is Roger Baumer, who has done work with Sudden Infant.  It opens with looping plunderphonic grit type stuff.  It’s fine, but I am immediately turned off when people are just messing with records.  I dropped the thread on Sudden Infant when I got burned with too many records of a guy messing with records.  Don’t play a voice fast unless you’re doing breakbeats, and you’re actually making a track in 1992.  It moves to some nice dense tonal movements, but if I have to jump through chipmunk voices, I won’t be back. Which is a bummer, because the gritty tone movement for a majority of the piece after the pointless record sampling - sounds cool.  The other side is menacing tones and pulsing with slightly more chaotic record plundering on top.  Good dynamics (or he’s just pulling from cool techno records), but carefree sampling rarely works for me – not interested in your thrift finds, but the B side is the winner.

Batchas: It’s possible Roger from Maggot Bile is here too.  Tasteful bass frequencies, spoken German on the A, and a buried spoken loop on the B – this is doing what I was hoping the Maggot Bile record would stick to, frequencies interacting minimally, gradual texture shifts, and reserved pacing – but no cute samples.  Kinda reminds me of one of those records you get where you’re like, ok it’s fine, but why press it to vinyl?  No real complaints, but as with essentially all things in life, I do wish there were flanged commando vocals yelling over everything .  

Runzelstirn & Gurgelstøck: This is why I’m listening.  Took me a long time to figure out these tracks were here, used to be a R&G discog (pre discogs) I would reference that just had these track names and format and no further detail.  Who released this 7”?  Where is it?  Years later, oh, it’s in a box.  A side - Ich Sind Etwa 2 (I Are Approximate 2) – Everything you want.  Silence, imperfections and crackles of the canvas, weird moaning, bumping a piano, sudden abstract blasts, castrated phonemes and possessed gurgling blips, blasting split second pursuit whistles, syphilitic accordions going limp, chopping bursts of gagging.  A slap or two.  B side – Appellstück – Great track, more of a raw action sound (A side is that sort of – all your favorite Schimp sounds type tracks).  Aggressive chanting and stomping, some rattling, still cuts to stangled edits, back to a psycho stomping in a room, sections of lightbulb chair slaps, caning the possessed, paddling, impacts of dead biology on TBD flesh states.

Sudden Infant: Joke and Dave Phillips duo.  My favorite Sudden Infant is the more aggressively… almost power electronics moments, I like screaming and unhinged madness.  Here, we get, creepy childlike mumbling and contorted purple faced retching, shortwave, spoken voices, breaking glass, piercing feedback wafting, general uneasiness.  B side, unclear confined metallic space, impact action – a work of self-satisfaction, breathing, neighbors listening to classical, primitive generators in the wall, the meaningless rituals of the modern man’s broken needs.  Shuddering in a box.  I wonder when this was actually recorded

Closing: Filled with massive and fleeting regret after realizing I compromised inadvertent conceptual integrity, by removing and disposing of the ancient insect corpse that was dead on the plastic sleeve for the Runzelstirn record.  It was definitely NOT an intended element, but since there are actual R&G records with dead bugs intentionally featured as art elements, I regretted it moments after throwing the bug away, but as a brief universal gesture – a gift from the madness of reality, I appreciated it.  Update: Oh, found another desiccated larvae, on the Sudden Infant plastic sleeve, gonna swap sleeves (they are generic clear plastic) – thus returning balance to the universe.  The fact that I’m also now picking dried insect legs off my legs, seems right.

Sudden Infant / Brume / Tadpole  – Sperm + Egg 7” (Anomalous Records ‘Tadpole’ – TAD-001)
Whoever Tadpole is drags this down.  Literally worthless tracks tacked on the start of A (kid voice and Casio preset) and end of B (stupid baby noises – seriously you suck Tadpole – baby crying or kid voices are the worst).  I had this record before and ditched it when I liquidated all the Sudden Infant stuff I had that wasn’t doing what I wanted (I kept the Glass 7” and whatever had Rudolf), and the cover sucked.  This copy has a better handmade cover.  Recently had to re-buy it cus I like when Sudden Infant is kinda ‘power electronics’ Industrial (Radiorgasm Side B, “Death Syndrome” on Noise War, “Maxli” on Sensory Deprivation, this is even the same piece – diff recording - as on the Solothurn CD – well, this is 91, the CD is rec 93, and it sounds like the SAME vocals, so not sure, maybe they played this record live vs just doing the vocals… which is lame, sorry – backing tape of vocals when you could just use a microphone and recite your perv nonsense is really weak – and I’d love to be corrected that they just somehow performed EXACTLY the same voice), so had to get this cus it’s just him talking creeper sex talk – kinda like a dorky version of Sodality.  Pitched down spoken word (lyrics on the label) with a good noise blast at the end.  Would rule without the “Tadpole” bullshit.  Brume – he’s ok, I had tons of Brume stuff in highschool, wasted a lot of time with “French Industrial”, I kept picking stuff that wasn’t really what I was looking for (shoulda bought the Le Syndicat tapes….) – no way to tell back then though… But yeah, had like ALL the Brume OEC tapes, the Bandaged Hand stuff, lots of stuff, but so many had such contrast in styles – not in a good way, and too many “funny” moments – which is VERY hard to get right.  With limited funds and getting burnt with tons of DDAA and Brume stuff that sucked, had to give up, sell em and buy better stuff.  I never regret it.  This track, it’s just like juxtaposition cuts, weird sound effects and annoying voices.  Once you listen to enough French academic stuff from the 50’s – 70’s any of this ‘at home’ version of concrete from the 80s+  is not worthwhile.  He kinda does goofy PE here.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 06:01:23 PM by NUDE_MAJA_GOYA » Logged
Zeno Marx
Overkill user

« Reply #8536 on: May 13, 2022, 11:11:41 PM »

Batchas: It’s possible Roger from Maggot Bile is here too.  Tasteful bass frequencies, spoken German on the A, and a buried spoken loop on the B – this is doing what I was hoping the Maggot Bile record would stick to, frequencies interacting minimally, gradual texture shifts, and reserved pacing – but no cute samples.  Kinda reminds me of one of those records you get where you’re like, ok it’s fine, but why press it to vinyl?  No real complaints, but as with essentially all things in life, I do wish there were flanged commando vocals yelling over everything .  You listen to enough French academic stuff from the 50’s – 70’s any of this ‘at home’ version of concrete from the 80s+  is not worthwhile.  He kinda does goofy PE here.
Batchas had a couple of really good releases, as did another related project, Myiase (aka Myase).  The Bunker Archeology compilation had a solid group of gems on it.  Myiase was slated to do a powerhouse themed work that never went beyond the acceptance phase.  Both projects are recommended.

Harsh talk of Brume, a bona fide great.  Can't agree with you on that score.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 11:14:13 PM by Zeno Marx » Logged

"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.
NUDE_MAJA_GOYA

« Reply #8537 on: May 14, 2022, 07:30:35 PM »

K2 – Tumorartige Veränderungen Der Prostata 7” (Membrum Debile Propaganda – MDP 6000-16)
Almost pointless to review K2 material from 1996 as it’s construction of total perfection.  Hard cut and contrast metallic impact onslaught.  Slight micro fuzz to the clear wax gives a barely perceptible velvety veneer to the whole sound (really you’d only notice if you listen to tons of K2, but the ever so slight softening of the relentless jagged edges sounds good).  K2 is just totally cool sounding almost defeating a need to describe, where it just sounds incredible the whole time – like, is anyone gonna talk while a mountain collapses or do you just observe, long time listeners will hear brief unique executions, but it’s mostly relentless delicacies of impact pleasure – sound shapes he owns and deploys.  The super dense blasts at the end of side A contrasted with motor buzzing really brings it all in, just mastery.  Side B opens blasting with brief fractal anti melody structures appearing before being submerged in liquefied debris, moving on to dried sheet layering with feedback fumes some buried humanoid moments, and when it comes to feedback, his ability to coat the lines in static fuzz makes that which is annoying in other hands/ears, a desired white hot searing.   Horrifying content matter as always with the medical data K2, hard to store tall sleeve, flimsy clear transparencies.  Cool design, but yeah, it lives with the other records of weird shape.

Hands To / Kapotte Muziek – Körperlaute 7” (Korm Plastics – kp 2890, Big Body Parts – bpep 003)
Hands To is – similar to K2 – basically always great.  Total grasp of how the sound is material.  Brief audition would maybe cause an assumption of “lo-fi” but it’s more just total material control – dynamics understanding, how the tape reacts to sound, becomes a body.  Here are three tracks from 1990 using human body sounds, the flow is organic without being any kind of obvious collage or anything annoying, it exists and breathes, not like an Aube source investigation, but more subtly a direct echo of how he approaches the sound itself is in the composition, close and distorted / transformed based on where he is in creating, still - focused on the cellular detail, grains, imperfections, hidden structure.  Building to a locked groove of a perfectly timed heartbeat – which in other hands would be perhaps “precious” is truly subtle and beautiful.  Moving the needle to the last track, unclear buried chants, rattling, an ominous close, the confusion of ritual.  The liners say it’s ALL “human body sounds” – fantastic side of a 7”.  Kapotte Muziek, one of those projects that I just mentally file with “European post concrete avant something”, it’s never bad really, just so dry and unsexy.  Has cool info on the insert about patient hearing during medical procedures.  I’ve woken up during several surgeries, so it is interesting reading about the impact of what is heard unconsciously and how it contributes to the body processes.  Tastefully unfolding mechanical sounds leading to a locked groove, moving the needle – some brief mechanical movements followed by another locked groove, move the needle, best part of this side – almost pretty sounding sort of generator tone / whine.  Great material from KM - as usual, sounds are solid, but something about the really dry approach doesn’t really grab me, but I’ll probably someday realize my error and try to get all their stuff…

Déficit Des Années Antérieures / Hirsch² – Split 7” (ELECTRIP 05)
DDAA opens with sped up chipmunk voices, then it’s a cute folk song with silly whistle sounds.  Don’t get me wrong, I have a monumental collection of Twee Pop and Shoegaze and Ethereal dreamy stuff, I just can’t stand like funny half clever music, and since I know DDAA are sort of weird, it’s clear they are being precious, which I find unpalatable.  This song IS fine, but like, if you’re making custesy pop – the SONG has to be good, this song is like a sort of go nowhere nursery rhyme with annoying sound effects, and it’s NOT weird enough to be like a NWW creepout, they still are trying to make it a “song” like they can’t pick a side so it’s just forgettable – the more spaced out stuff near the end is better and I wish they had done that the whole time, but it even has stupid pitched voices that sound like babies whining.  Nope.  Hirsch Quadrat is Christoph and Andreas Heemann from HNAS, and this is a gorgeous pastoral atmospheric piece.  Pulsing organ, strings, slow spring hallucinatory too bright sunlight – am I forgetting something – moments.  A brief piece that flows and lives perfectly on the side of a 45, the waves at the end punctuate the path perfectly.  Christoph rules, and literally every piece I’ve heard of him with Andreas is perfect.

John Duncan / Andrew Chalk & Christoph Heemann – Split 7” (Die Stadt – DS22)
I hate that the cover is just some Duchamp imagery, come on guys.  Big John Duncan fan, but I have no interest and a lot of contempt for that whole masturbatory “micro nation” fad, like, where did that wank get anyone? (was it Felix Kubin that was pushing it – can’t remember don’t care – cus again, fuck your precious commentary on politics or whatever, Europe is a mess) - You have failed in your statements.  Not sure really if John is mocking or supporting - "The Elgaland-Vargaland National Anthem".  It’s pitch shifted voices and like a weird screeching moaning annoying voice.  Some drumming.  It’s fine, but does nothing for me.  Old Hive is an Andrew Chalk track from the Crescent tape in 1986, here remixed by Christoph Heemann in 98.  Really goes nicely with the Hirsch² side.  Chalk rules completely, so this is tasteful delicate piano (synth), wisps of droning, moments drift in and out of mundane day to day activities, distant dogs, some talking, perfectly captures a very cinematic space of memories fading out.  To be very clear – this is beautiful atmospheric ambient cinematics, NOT noise at all.  Though you’re an idiot if you don’t respect the ear, this is Ferial Confine.

Zigeunerweizen - ツィゴイネルワイゼン 8”(Flexi) (Asphalt Records – AS-001)
ロマンへの復讐 - Plodding dirgy post-punk.  The singer is singing like normal post-punk mopey vocals, but he totally has light flange on his voice haha.  Lethargic drumming, fuzzy barely there guitar, bass loping along.  Guitarist gets excited for a minute and kinda solos.  色情表現 (エロチシズム) they are more awake now, kinda Black Metal tone to the guitars – but it’s NOT, it’s just gothy post-punk, some synth near the end?  B side -コイン·ロッカー Opens with the unforgivable… baby crying… brief (at the end too.. bastards)… and then drum machine and some thin synths, plodding bass.  I like that the band sounds half awake.  Some real drumming, more kinda thin almost Black Metal guitar, they are leaning more towards the awake side of half awake here, singer even gets agitated and yells.  Has a “noise” freakout synth section – in these kinda things though, the inspiration for freakouts is most likely just the Bela Lugosi guitar, so expect bat flutter noise vs Deep Purple burning amps inspired noise.  I love these kinda bands that only exist on one flexi, no info, I guess no idea of when it was released – could be like 85-93?  E-7026 and E-7027 are additional data points on each side, but it’s not a Kojima flexi, far as I can tell.

Schimpfluch-Commune Int. – For The Tasmanian Devils 8”(Lathe) (Cipher Productions – (sic 34))
Obviously it’s all the Schimpfluch guys vs an actual group action.  Runzelstirn & Gurgelstøck, Sudden Infant and Dave Phillips tracks all from 2007.  R&G – Brings us in with a more traditional composition, beast growls merged with humanoid growls, accordion sighs, air expelled from chambers in agitation, some paranoia tones rising.  Sudden Infant, some really weird tapping and vocal ululations, ultra creepy and totally comes across as an alien lullaby.  The DP track, menacing atmosphere, animal groans, impacts of implements, birds in the distance.  Closing out with another R&G – continuing the horrific space of the other two pieces – totally different sound though, queasy atmosphere, chanting, yaps and yips, very ritualistic closing, his whole shaman of awfulness thing I guess.  This lathe plays pretty inconsistantly, wouldn’t work on my nice turntable (weight adjustable Technics), had to use my crapiest cheap portable turntable for it to work, weird.  And this lathe falls apart worse than any other I own, like needle covered in thin fuzz from the surface after playing.  It’s a Peter King, but it’s rough.

Going to go listen to a mountain of techno 12”s now, later.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 09:19:13 AM by NUDE_MAJA_GOYA » Logged
FreakAnimalFinland
Administrator
Overkill user

« Reply #8538 on: May 17, 2022, 03:22:30 PM »

MASS MARRIAGE "Restless" CD
New Forces
These days you get quite often remarks about "guys in balaclavas pushing one finger on MS-20", hehe.. sort of deserved for part of the genre, but in some ways, occasionally ain't that many fingers you need for good industrial-noise of some sorts! This CD has pretty simple structures, often oscillating synth, some vocals, samples, a bit of other things, but one barely needs to re-invent the wheel, if there is a bit of taste and know how, and even the tasty buzzing distortion present in vocals and samples is something that hits the sweet spot for me, and I like this way more than previous things I heard from project.

SEWER ELECTION "Horse Utopie" CD
Ideal
Harsh Noise from S.E. barely needs introduction. It is pretty much what S.E. does at the moment, and if you like it, you'll like this.

ÄIJÄLÄ / NOVA / KANDELIN "Forest" CD
Farfalla
Basically this would be Musta Toteemi with additional female vocalist. Droning electronics and droning singing, simple but excellent nevertheless!

EDGE OF DECAY "Vein of Metal" CD
Aussaat
CD is partly harsh noise type of thing, partly it is the Finn industrial-noise / PE type approach. There are bunch of tracks ( 8 in total ) that are really damn good, like massive ending piece.. and then there are tracks what would have been fine on tape, but do not appear as good as one would hope CD album to be! Surely fans of Finnish noise filth will be satisfied, but if you expect the final touch of sweet ear-candy, I guess CD could have been recycled via analogue tape or something and it would have have extra punch.

V/A Feedback solidarity tape
Finnish noise artists in solidarity for Ukraine.  19 artists from Finland here, and even after there are 5 volumes of KOLARI compilations and 4 volumes of TERÄSSINFONIA, you will have probably almost 10 projects that have not been featured in neither of those series! So this would be another mandatory for those who want to check out the currently active Finnish noise scene. Any why to check? It's brilliant compilation for starters! So good songs here, it's too bad the tape sold so quick. It would probably work out perfectly also as CD compilation. 60 minutes, and I would say there is barely more than couple minutes where it wouldn't be "hit music only", eh eh...
You can check it from bandcamp:
https://satatuhatta.bandcamp.com/album/feedback-solidarity-finnish-noise-artists-in-solidarity-for-ukraine

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net
Stipsi
user

« Reply #8539 on: May 17, 2022, 07:26:04 PM »

Taint: sex sick.
Do i have to say more?
My favourite noise album ever.

Pervert and Proud
Baglady
Heavy user

« Reply #8540 on: May 17, 2022, 10:39:02 PM »

OCHU - AmokNagen / AbgangsGenom C30 (Hatband, 2022)
I've had this recording on tape for quite some time, but have kept myself from playing it too often, as I wanted it rather fresh when the real deal showed up. It was tough, but now it's finally here. This tape sees Ochu pull on his wellingtons again. It's a nod back to his tape heydays in many ways: plenty of "brown notes", uneasy loops and electric seepage. But his present use of untreated field and object sounds have found their way in as well, preventing this thing from being some straight up retro trip, and instead takes off where Dryparn (Gothenburg Blood Cult, 2008) ended while adding new things to the mix. The atmosphere of it is that of a rundown and mismanaged farm, operated by drooling oafs, bereft of the necessary skills and wits. It's a foul and diseased scenery, folks. Bring odor salt in case you insist visiting. Killer tape!
cr
Diehard user

« Reply #8541 on: May 20, 2022, 03:08:30 PM »

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland link=topic=52.msg96747#msg96747

V/A Feedback solidarity tape
Finnish noise artists in solidarity for Ukraine.  19 artists from Finland here, and even after there are 5 volumes of KOLARI compilations and 4 volumes of TERÄSSINFONIA, you will have probably almost 10 projects that have not been featured in neither of those series! So this would be another mandatory for those who want to check out the currently active Finnish noise scene. Any why to check? It's brilliant compilation for starters! So good songs here, it's too bad the tape sold so quick. It would probably work out perfectly also as CD compilation. 60 minutes, and I would say there is barely more than couple minutes where it wouldn't be "hit music only", eh eh...
You can check it from bandcamp:
https://satatuhatta.bandcamp.com/album/feedback-solidarity-finnish-noise-artists-in-solidarity-for-ukraine

Yes, excellent compilation and lots of new names (at least for me). I was lucky enough to get the tape, but if this would be also released as CD, I'd most probably want to have it too.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 03:12:20 PM by cr » Logged
accidental
user

« Reply #8542 on: May 23, 2022, 05:55:28 PM »

Phill Niblock - Nothing to look at just a record (LP, 1982, India Navigation)
I bought this some years ago and received a cracked lp. Found a supposedly near unplayed copy a while back. But it does play with some noise throughout. Unsure if it's been played by a bad needle or if pressing was not very good. Anyone else with an original of this? This should have been reissued on CD...
AKTI Records

« Reply #8543 on: May 23, 2022, 11:16:41 PM »

Mogao - Finger Pointing To The Moon CD (Satatuhatta)

Rough textures, subdued piano punches and occasional bursts of noise interplay in Mogao`s latest full length that came out not so long ago from the northern Satatuhatta label. While Rajanen's vision sometimes reminds me of beloved experimental projects such as Idea Fire Company or even Ahti & Ahti, I get a feel that Finger Pointing To The Moon is not planned album in a sence that it would pick aesthetical pieces from album or two and combine them to a soup of cultural references.

To me this album feels like a gifted noise artist is starting to open up more and more to different possibilities inside the creative process and I cannot wait to hear what he`s up to next.

Bromp Treb - Bald Eagle Over Food City LP (Artsy)

"The same places, things and people can have many different names depending on who is doing the calling..."

American sound artist Neil "cloaca' Young a.k.a Bromp Treb gets super personal on his latest. He delivers 13 deformed compositions which little by little show us layers of beauty and stagnant melancholy. Bromp Treb takes us through what seems to be a carcass of an American smalltown, each track representing a certain place or a setting. The soundworld of the LP varies from arhythmic loopery (a very common attribute on many Artsy Records releases...) to a drunken one man marching band playing his guts out.

"A fat bald eagle lazily circles above the grocery store parking lot..."

It might take some time to digest Bald Eagle Over Food City but I promise that the experience will be well worth it. This record carries within it a special kind of honesty.

Baglady
Heavy user

« Reply #8544 on: May 24, 2022, 12:38:08 PM »

Phill Niblock - Nothing to look at just a record (LP, 1982, India Navigation)
I bought this some years ago and received a cracked lp. Found a supposedly near unplayed copy a while back. But it does play with some noise throughout. Unsure if it's been played by a bad needle or if pressing was not very good. Anyone else with an original of this? This should have been reissued on CD...
I have the vinyl reissue from Superior Viaduct, and to my ears it sounds great. No annoying hiss, pops etc. Looks fine as well, true to the original pressing.
Andrew McIntosh
Overkill user

« Reply #8545 on: May 24, 2022, 04:03:04 PM »

Aprapat's "Chimes of Entropy" fucking rules.

"Unless suffering is the direct and immediate object of life, our existence must entirely fail of its aim." - Schopenhauer.
Zeno Marx
Overkill user

« Reply #8546 on: May 24, 2022, 06:02:45 PM »

Ludd Gang - Demo 1999 - anarcho percussion ensemble with minimal electronics and sampled "lyrics" - good stuff, and for when in the mood for something like Militia.

can find it at the great bandcamp page https://sheffieldtapearchive.bandcamp.com/

"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.
MHK

« Reply #8547 on: May 26, 2022, 08:16:19 AM »

Nuori Veri - Kadonnut maailmankuva

Not much to add to the posts a couple of pages above. Very unique take on industrial (is there something similar to this? let us know). Love the hand-made feel and overall ruggedness. Abrupt edits utilized here and there work well. Great vocals, both shouted and spoken. I guess the ones on "Ikuisten ystävien kanssa" are sampled? Where are they from? Anyways, one of the best and FRESHEST things I've heard lately. (CD compilation of the tapes would be more than welcome.)

Mania - Raw Nerves and Unseen Eyes

Worthy swan song to one of the best ever, showing different sides of the project.
FreakAnimalFinland
Administrator
Overkill user

« Reply #8548 on: May 26, 2022, 08:33:43 AM »

That Mania was the last release full approved by living artists. Meaning all final graphics, layout of cd could be modified to be according to his will. It happened like less than week from his sudden death.
(He did approve also FA idea to collect all the FA's Mania tapes into CD release too plus gave the rights to "keep up the legacy" so to say, for all his old works. But those would be happening without the mastermind having possibility to tweak all details into his preferences)

Half Mortal "Faith In Hell" tape
Hospital productions
I had no idea who and what this was. I was half way through a-side and thinking... it could be another Fernow side project!? It is not like prurient, I mean not exactly. Plus what exactly IS Prurient? It is so many things. But nevertheless, the way of doing noises, combining certain type of digital synth tones and rough noises, doing songs, but still being noisy, not songy. Also vocal styles. The abrupt low voice talking moments, some screams. Certain efx.. It seemed like this would be some sort of Prurient collab with someone... but not at all! It's old guitar player of Rorschach, which is pretty damn furious hc band from 90's some most likely remember! I guess I got to check out the LP too. That has been just waiting for turn..

Virile Games "New Legion" 2xtape
Second Sleep
Now checking from the discogs for more info. I was surprised this ain't anything "second sleep related", but actually american guys. Duo consisting Dust Belt guy and K.P., both having several Hospital prod releases. I have vague recollection I got this double tape 2nd hand from someone who didn't like it enough. For me, it is a keeper. It is on the fine line of harsh noise and some "swedish noise", "lettera 22" type of approach back when it came out. Lots of physical scratching and fairly quiet lo-fi clatter and erupting into noise often enough. Two tapes, 50 minutes in total, came out already decade ago. At the time, might have been very much in spirit what was happening a lot. Listening it now, makes it stand out a bit.

Human Larvae ‎"Fever Dreams" tape
Total Black
Since being label responsible for two latest CD albums of Human Larvae, it feels kind of stupid to suggest that tape releases of his would be better. That is wrong word. They are not necessarily better, but there is some a bit more relaxed quality and adventurous attitude when he makes tapes, right? This tape is really a full album. 10 songs, neat packaging, lyrics included, Martin Bladh doing guest vocals&lyrics for one piece. It is like the CD albums are tweaked to perfection. For tapes, he probably does that, but also perhaps there is some unconscious feel that if this is going to be 100 copies tape, there can be something what quite ain't "album hit songs"? More bleak noise pieces or songs that have no technical showmanship, but are just good. CD albums are HL at his finest and most focused, but then this recent tape release campaign, two on Cipher, double live tape of FA and this long tape album on Total Black is strongly recommended! ( If someone missed the double live tape, I don't have it publicly for sale, but at this moment couple copies still in physical store. Inquiry can be mailed and price is still the same..)

Predominance "Obliteration" LP
LOKI
1997 white vinyl LP on LOKI. I Recall it was at first little tough to swallow. Some people might remember Wolverine, pre-Predominance project that is like true (almost) forgotten jewel of heavy electronics / dark industrial. That was really masterful stuff. Then getting first Predominance and its gloomy dark ambient / bleak industrial soundscapes, but occasionally tracks have these down pitched vocals like Whitehouse great white death…
It is really for aquired tastes. However, there ain’t many groups like this. While safe good shouts and screams are fine, some of the more demented vocal styles are tough at first, but eventually most memorable.
What would go down well with dark tones, wolves howling, ritual chanting, pitchshifted vocals, lavey texts used for lyrics,.... black & white cover with skulls, whips,.. Things any gentleman can appreciate.

SOLMANIA "erosion" LP
Urashima
I may be slightly biased to comment as Solmania has such a mythical aura for me. Never before I heard this 1987 tape. Now 3 listenings later, in one hand it is exactly what details make you expect, little lofi, snotty 80’s live recording, but… not a negative remark! Something unexplained quality makes me want to spin it over again. This is not all guitar noise, but these early days Solmania had guitar + several other noise sources plus some screams etc.

GENOCIDE ORGAN 10 x 10"
Tesco
All 10”s are good, but as a wholeness, even better. I am fine with having the complete set, but as a distributor and for sake of having example how good industrial-noise could be, it would be nice to have perhaps some sort of 3xCD set available for anyone who missed the 10”s..?
Back in the day, I used to email GO guys frequently, complaining that how come its only Grunt and Bizarre Uproar who is doing represses of albums, and all the absolute classics of genre is out of print. Eventually some GO and G.W. and Con-Dom and such started to appear. Perhaps not only because of me pestering them about it, but who knows…
While tracks are kind of "misplaced" (in their words), tracks that did not fit into album. Some perhaps conceptually, some due nothing but duration of album etc. there is barely any "leftovers". Some of the tracks here are absolute highlights of GO sound, and would be unfortunate if even when archived, would be heard only by 300 people..

GENOCIDE ORGAN "Live lille 2000" LP
bootleg
Supposedly ltd 66. I bought it when it came out, 2003. Etched metal plates, ”flag” with miss spelled city name, 12 page booklet, everything sealed shut with staples. Little nuggets of old memories about this are that guy who put this out, was paid visit, and part of pressing was… grabbed. Another thing was that band almost appreciated it. If city would have been spelled right, it would have been fairly honorable tribute. I would guess that this level of bootleg of your work is hard to be pissed off. It’s quite something else than cdr’s or cheap pirate copies… Sound is good. Live LP of GO, good sound, some classic songs, but decent versions.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net
MT
Heavy user

« Reply #8549 on: May 26, 2022, 11:06:33 AM »

Various Artists - "Feedback Solidarity - Finnish Noise Artists In Solidarity For Ukraine" tape

Kind of lost who is who while listening to the tape, but the same notion as people above me, each track was really good. There was no dull moments, where you start to think when the track is gonna be over. Tight tracks with little loose ends, to the point. I wouldn't mind a CD press later, even when deattached  from the cause, this is a strong compilation that should be circulated more. A good showcase, once again, to show what's happening in Finlands noise field. Maybe even give it a bit more "accesssible" entry point to Finnish scene, no intimidating provocateurs, focus more on pure noise.
Pages: 1 ... 564 565 566 567 568 569 [570] 571 572
  Print  

Jump to: