PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: PedestrianOrgans on March 07, 2019, 02:41:24 PM
Quote from: Baglady on March 07, 2019, 10:21:18 AM
VAT - Bitch Quartet - CS (Everything As Dung)
The last (?) release from this shortlived but fantastic project. Full on harsh noise that relies much more upon the attitude, approach and ATTACK of the fella responsible rather than his skills and ability to carefully structure his zillion layers. Not saying he's clueless behind his gear, but you know... Varied, wild and very angry. Listening to the last few Vat tapes feels like being stuck at a party where someone loses it, and while you're  a bit scared, you still don't want to leave. And it makes me wonder, where are the Crack Fierces, Vats, RoboChanMen etc of today? Has that kind of literally savage yet very convincing breed of noise artist always been rare, or am I just imagining that they were larger in numbers in the past? As much as I can enjoy a thoroughly planned, composed and skillfully recorded noise album, this is what makes my blood boil. We're seeing quite a surge of talents in harsh noise now, but I would like to see more wild oddballs as well. A shame he killed the project and left noise all together just when it started getting seriously great (with this cassette and Bubble Probe on New Forces).

Dang, I wasn't aware that project died entirely... Loved Bubble Probe and am still hoping to find a copy of this one sometime.

Awesome project. I've got a couple of the tapes from 2013-2014, but I haven't listened to them in a while. Will have to dig them out.

I was lucky enough to see him live in June or July of 2014 for the "Rotten Contingent" release show MAPS put on. Absolutely killer set, one of the best of that night! Just relentless blasting harsh noise.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Baglady

Quote from: PedestrianOrgans on March 07, 2019, 02:41:24 PM
Quote from: Baglady on March 07, 2019, 10:21:18 AM
VAT - Bitch Quartet - CS (Everything As Dung)
The last (?) release from this shortlived but fantastic project. Full on harsh noise that relies much more upon the attitude, approach and ATTACK of the fella responsible rather than his skills and ability to carefully structure his zillion layers. Not saying he's clueless behind his gear, but you know... Varied, wild and very angry. Listening to the last few Vat tapes feels like being stuck at a party where someone loses it, and while you're  a bit scared, you still don't want to leave. And it makes me wonder, where are the Crack Fierces, Vats, RoboChanMen etc of today? Has that kind of literally savage yet very convincing breed of noise artist always been rare, or am I just imagining that they were larger in numbers in the past? As much as I can enjoy a thoroughly planned, composed and skillfully recorded noise album, this is what makes my blood boil. We're seeing quite a surge of talents in harsh noise now, but I would like to see more wild oddballs as well. A shame he killed the project and left noise all together just when it started getting seriously great (with this cassette and Bubble Probe on New Forces).

Dang, I wasn't aware that project died entirely... Loved Bubble Probe and am still hoping to find a copy of this one sometime.
He sort of disappeared for a long time. But a year ago or two he wrote me and seemed quite eager to start recording again, but I havent heard from him since.
I really engourage any fan of Vat to seek out the UNPENIS stuff as well. Same unhinged approach but with a slightly wider scope of sounds. The tape on Everything As Dung in particular.

ConcreteMascara

Digging into some Swedish noise, old and new, the past few days.

Ochu - Unproduktiw LP - Verlautbarung - I have limited familiarity with Ochu, having only the Brick Windows tape and a few comps which he's on. While perhaps it's untrue, it feels like with Ochu and so many Swedish artists, if you don't live in Sweden you're not going to get a lot of the tapes. And the old ones rarely show up for sale. but anyways, this mini-LP is excellent to my ears. The sound sources and textures are lightly layered allowing each to shine and do their thing. it reminds me of some of the queasier and more stripped-down Sewer Election releases, but infinitely more laid back. slightly reminiscent of Force Neurotic releases but mostly akin to releases on Jartecknet more than anything else. the second track on the B-side is especially ear-catching with it's bass frequency oriented sound. had to rewind that one a few times. on the whole this record is relatively short and to the point, but the music is so effective and effectively paced it feels extremely satisfying. definitely one that will be getting a lot of plays for the foreseeable future. I think I admire this most because there's such a deft touch compared to my own ham-fisted approach to sound.

Ochu - Brick Windows cassette - Kick Acid - inspired by Unproduktiw I pulled this one from the stacks. a very different feeling than the newest release. much closer to what I think of when I think Swedish full-on harsh noise. lots of churning blasting murk, but not so much hi-freq abuse. the a-side is solid but the b-side is better. One long track that eventually disintegrates into foreboding ambience. real fuckin' nice.

VMS Elit - Fumes CDr - Hologram Label - been wanting to check this project out for a year+ now so happy to finally get something. I love this little resurgence of harsh noise CDrs i've been seeing lately. brings me back to when i first got into noise and CDrs were everywhere. I digress, this little CDr is fucking nasty. tons of super damaged and frayed sounds. like a mouth full of asphalt grit or the sound of tape player on its last leg, blasting for all its worth. layers and layers of damaged sound that's almost rhythmic in it's bumpy texture. is all VMS Elit this good? Because if so, I've been asleep too long.

Irgun Z'wai Leumi - Klirrfaktor LP - Verlautbarung  - first spin was accidentally on 45RPM and still sounded pretty good, although not as spooky as expected. 2nd spin at correct RPM was much spookier than expected. since I'm not wildly wealthy, all of the Projekt Hat LPs are out of my price range so I can't compare, but this album certainly stands alone in its excellence. been ogling it for ages and finally got it from Skeleton Dust last week. you hear the descriptor "sound of abandoned factories" so many times it almost loses meaning, and then you hear an album like this and you can't think of anything else. hollow and haunted music that puts most dark ambient to shame as far as atmosphere and desolation. looking forward to getting to know this record more fully.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

bitewerksMTB

IRM "Order4" cd (Cold Meat) & "Cult of the Young Men" cd (Annihilvs)- the CM cd is a full-length that is quite excellent ranging from industrial to heavy PE sections. Love the piano sounds. Only complaint is lazy artwork. Nice cover image but that's all. Loose booklet just has lyrics. RK/MB should be kicked in the shins for choosing packaging with no place to store the booklet. The second cd is mainly live work so you get some really frenzied electronics, junk metal sounds, processed vocals, etc. Both releases are recommended & can be found very affordable (Big Loaf aka Groundfault has the live cd for $5 on Discogs or he did...).

Concrete Mascara"Repression" cd (Antipatik)- Jeez, CM just loves torturing electronics. Nasty feedback, some repeated synth tones, highly distorted vocals, some film (?) samples and a lot of static destruction. This new release seems a bit more minimal than the last full-length but I'm not sure. I've pulled the Malignant rel. for a re-listen for comparison. Kudos for no collage artwork!

New Forces

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on March 07, 2019, 07:18:20 PM
is all VMS Elit this good? Because if so, I've been asleep too long.

Yea, it is. New tapes on White Centipede and Idiopathic should be available, get them.
New Forces
https://newforces.bigcartel.com

Kjostad
Breaking The Will
Form Hunter
Cryocene

Zeno Marx

Einleitungszeit - Die Infektion der Geburt 2008 - I don't know if it is because I've been listening to a fair amount of early/mid-90's Merzbow or what, but the noise element of this disc, which is strong and prevalent on this album, has been reminding me of Merzbow's timbre; glass shattering crackle, frying, and dynamic - great industrial and rhythmic elements, as I expect - not sure how I feel about some of the vocal effects; they're almost too cosmic or spacey at times - really good industrial power-electronics album with maybe a track or two breaking the string of power - check out "Die Endgultige Doktrin" the best of everything this album has in its tool chest.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

absurdexposition

Quote from: New Forces on March 07, 2019, 09:32:28 PM

Yea, it is. New tapes on White Centipede and Idiopathic should be available, get them.

Very much enjoyed the latest on Joy De Vivre.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

PedestrianOrgans

Quote from: absurdexposition on March 08, 2019, 12:04:37 AM
Quote from: New Forces on March 07, 2019, 09:32:28 PM

Very much enjoyed the latest on Joy De Vivre.

NEW CDR ON HOLOGRAM, BOSS SHIT

https://hologramlabel.bandcamp.com/album/vms-elit-fumes

Scat-O-Logy

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on March 07, 2019, 07:18:20 PMOchu - Unproduktiw LP - Verlautbarung - I have limited familiarity with Ochu, having only the Brick Windows tape and a few comps which he's on. While perhaps it's untrue, it feels like with Ochu and so many Swedish artists, if you don't live in Sweden you're not going to get a lot of the tapes. And the old ones rarely show up for sale. but anyways, this mini-LP is excellent to my ears. The sound sources and textures are lightly layered allowing each to shine and do their thing. it reminds me of some of the queasier and more stripped-down Sewer Election releases, but infinitely more laid back. slightly reminiscent of Force Neurotic releases but mostly akin to releases on Jartecknet more than anything else. the second track on the B-side is especially ear-catching with it's bass frequency oriented sound. had to rewind that one a few times. on the whole this record is relatively short and to the point, but the music is so effective and effectively paced it feels extremely satisfying. definitely one that will be getting a lot of plays for the foreseeable future. I think I admire this most because there's such a deft touch compared to my own ham-fisted approach to sound.

The crude sound reminded me of the mysterious Finnish industrial noise project HÖH. FA put out this great demo compilation: https://www.discogs.com/H%C3%96H-H%C3%96H/release/10175293

Euro Trash Bazooka

DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

bitewerksMTB

IRM "Oedipus Dethroned" cd (CMI)- other than Martin's vocals being pretty much the same on every track other than processing, this is a pretty excellent release. I was thinking it had some metal abuse but it doesn't. Just lots of nice heavy DI/PE synth-electronics  with the vocals and some mild sampled loops. I'm glad I re-bought this as I obviously didn't give it much of a chance way back in 2000.  Gonna have to dig around for the debut LP next...

Lazrs3

Spiteful Womb - Final Pageant. Been listening to this project for a few months, it's odd as fuck and sometimes I really finish recordings a bit confused and I like that. I have a couple of tapes and a bunch of stuff off the Bandcamp. I'd like to do some sort of overview of the work I have to get to grips better.

Hexenight - Fragile - (nicked the text off my blog)  I confess to not knowing anything about Hexenight, so I've been sitting on doing this review for a while. I've played the album a bit over the last month. The project is two members Brian and Aaron based in Portland, Oregon. There have been two other albums released on their Bandcamp. Frailty was written over a year of frustrations, mental illness and personal tragedies.

From the offset there is a unique, esoteric quality to Hexenight; the opening track Broken Fingernails is ritualistic with a deep, broody sound. The vocals are a tortured, tornado of agonised pain pushed  cleverly into the background, so you're forced to engage with them. The intense instrumentation is repetitive with additions of noise- the distorted resonance of the vocal creates more noise on top of this. Spears builds epic chants and echoing sound that ties in and continues well from the first track. This has a more warped vocal that is undecipherable, and the music again relies on overriding repetition, the beats behind the repetitive chant are intensified from the first ones and work well. There is an impressively restrained use of distorted noise. Follow Me Further moves into an ethereal, shifting Dark Ambient sound, the background is threatening and growls ominously demonstrating some impressive low-level electronics – these factors intensify as aggressive electronics and howling blasts of tunnel noise build A Wooden Effigy. This is where the album intensifies further and further as we head to the finale - Seeking the Sky. This takes a more noise like approach, still using intensified beats and screamed vocals. This further erupts until it suddenly dies off to a song sample creating an emotive end to Frailty.

I'd argue that Frailty is higher level work. The vocals are varied and strong, the work retains mystery and plays with dynamics of sound beautifully to create one of the strongest recordings I have heard this year.

Le Syndicat Faction Vivante - Interaction Sociale. I reviewed a couple of cds for Aussaat and from that they sent me a couple of Discecting Table cds and my first ever vinyl to review, I was in a state of shock, I've never had free vinyl. Now I am over it after a couple of days of live and new release reviewing, I am playing it. All I know about them is they released on Broken Flag in the 80s because I very recently, finally got that box set on cd that was also done on vinyl on Vinyl on Demand. I have more expansive boxes of some of the artists, but Le Syndicat were a mystery to me. But I'd reviewed Entre Vifs who were at one time linked to Le Syndicat and I loved it. This album collects two live performances and is really random and choppy and I like it. In my head it seems really sophisticated as did the Entre Vifs stuff. I like this LP a lot.

Caroline K - Now Wait For Last Year. (Earthly Delights, 1987) Caroline K was in Nocturnal Emissions and died in 2008. I'd heard about this lp on a Youtube Blog that was on about Dark Ambient. Admittedly I have been streaming this off the web, but plan to get it as it's impressive, very atmospheric, beautiful and dark, really love it and want a copy as it's been reissued fairly recently.

Zen Zsigo - Winter Orbit (Vaagner, VAA02) . Solo LP from the Cremation Lily mainman. Very ambient, drone based, kinda like some of the CremationLily stuff of recent years. Gorgeous cover and sounds is all I can say.

Lazrs3

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on March 01, 2019, 03:43:28 PM
Ke/Hil - Syndrome/Antidrome LP - two years late to the party but i finally picked this one up last weekend. it's strange but the first half of it sounds more necro than the first two albums, with lots of heavy bass frequencies, samples of anguished cries in the background and terminator vocals. Then the b-side gets a lot sharper but no less chilly. Only listened to it three times so far and despite lacking a "hit" song, it still seems like their best album yet. It's incredibly engaging despite being relativey low key. If youve waited as long as i have to check it out, wait no more!

I think I got that at the last Unrestival where Genocide Organ headlined or might have ordered in off Unrest after and really loved it, really bleak record. I'd like to check out the other Ke/Hil releases. I wished i'd not only gone the Saturday now and done the Friday when they played at UFoI.

Baglady

ORGANUM - In Extremis - LP (L.A.Y.L.A.H.)
Quite the uneasy symphony of chafing acoustic sounds. Creaky chirping metals, a low pulsating hum and what sounds like something being stuck into an electric fan. Plus alot in between. All together, it sounds very ominous and eerie. Sits right in the middle of TNB, Metgumbnerbone, Ferial Confine and all that, yet clearly in a space of its own. And to these ears, actually not a million miles away from certain Speculum Fight recordings, such as the 15 minute masterpiece "No Season" from the Highball CD. Excellent LP. Had I known how good it is, I might not have waited years just to find a cheap good condition copy, and just bought the first best I found instead. I need to get the rest of the 1980's works as well. Why on earth have I waited with Organum?

DecayingPurity

V/A - Leather (IOPS)
         Awesome presentation. On my third listen in a row. Enough             said.

Streicher / Totenrune (Unrest)
          Truly great tracks from both projects. Timeless sounds.