PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baglady

KILLER BUG - Shitsuke LP (Skeleton Dust, New Forces)
Laidback and mostly midpaced, and not nearly as hectic as I was expecting. And that's just fine. Cut-up noise for middle-aged parents. Side A is rather spastic and at times wonderfully disorienting in a not so disorienting way (but nowhere near the 90's stuff in intensity). Side b, my favorite, has a wonderful flow to it, and that's where Endos' skills really show, I think. Someone who craves over the top high speed violence might get dissapointed, but this tired fart gives two thumbs up. Such a great vinyl debut for New Forces, too!

david lloyd jones

piero umilliani, OST To Witchcraft 70 or 'angeli bianco, angeli  Nero'.

good itallo mondo soundtrack for entertaining fabricated film of devil worship and other.
the soundtrack is a much better propersition than the film as it stands on it's own.

cr

After many years it seems today is the right time to listen again to some old Einstürzende Neubauten records like Kollaps, Die Zeichnungen des Patienten O.T. or 1/2 Mensch. In the mid-nineties, when I bought those records I was really obsessed with E.N., but after Tabula Rasa it just wasn't my thing anymore.

FreakAnimalFinland

LISTEN AND DIE! 6x LP Box set
Urashima
Great release in many ways. Line-up is pretty solid. It has the big names, but also couple smaller ones. Most of all, everybody delivers. Pretty much all american bands are solid. I think Diktat may be at their strongest here, while Discordance perhaps at their worst. Atrax Morgue is plain insane. Somewhere in fine line of genious and stupid. Iugula Thor doing their better works. Sshe Retina Stimulants too.
My only complaint is basically why so many of these reissues have revisioned artworks. Especially front covers. In context of noise, I can't think of many less interesting things than blatant uniform presentation to utmost minimalism. When you got the same BOLD CAPS font just saying LISTEN AND DIE! in front of big black box... I just think how much better would have been just to use the Slaughter Productions original vision. Great box, what could be then just a notch greater.

VIDNA OBMANA "No Sacrifice" LP
Urashima
1984-1985 material compiled from No Sacrifice For The Weakling (1985 C30 Tape Zeal SS) and unreleased archived music. Not sure how the covers should look here, but as it's barely just re-issue, but more like compilation - and that it looks decent, it's ok!
This could be even the BEST V.O. what I have heard. Even if previous reissue on Urashima was good, I must say this is better! It's the 80's industrial noise in the way I like it most. It has crude sound, but it ain't just trying to be "rubbish". Instead it has innovation and composition and clever usage of all the brutally noise and grim sounds. All what it loses to modern day "aggro" and "filth", it wins simply on being structurally and texturally interesting.

A ton of stuff been on playlist, but not yet time for further comments...
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

david lloyd jones

Quote from: cr on September 10, 2016, 10:47:44 AM
After many years it seems today is the right time to listen again to some old Einstürzende Neubauten records like Kollaps, Die Zeichnungen des Patienten O.T. or 1/2 Mensch. In the mid-nineties, when I bought those records I was really obsessed with E.N., but after Tabula Rasa it just wasn't my thing anymore.

it is always satisfying to revisit old favourites now and again
often bands only namechecked here-neubauten, spk, c93,tg,nww,etc, bands who have 'moved on' or 'sold out' or 'just don't cut it anymore' etc.
mixing the historic with the current is to me the most satisfying.

gabalgabow

Metallica goes HARSH NOISE

I can finally listen to this album without fearing BOREDOM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PndySyDucy4

ConcreteMascara

The Rita / Caligula031- Self Shop cassette
Caligula031 - Private Venus cassette
Caligula031 - Slavetrade2000 CD
needed that Italian touch over the weekend. along with the Domino cassette, these are probably my favorite releases by C031. one thing I really like about the C031 material is that the mastering/style makes it feel like I'm listening to sandpaper. there's rarely consistent or heavy bass, just layers of caustic mid-frequency noise grinding down your ears. frankly it's a bit difficult to listen to too much at a time, especially on headphones.

v/a - Nylon HNW cassette
i first listened to this comp on my last cassette deck which died shortly thereafter. i was getting all sorts of unbalanced sound, flutter and generally shit sound. re-listening now on a fully functioning deck, i can say this a pretty enjoyable collection of walls. i never know how to judge this stuff... generally I like the b-side better since the tracks are a bit shorter and there's more of them.

Sewer Election -  Att Rita En Massaker cassette
somewhere between Vidöppna Sår LP and Kassettmusik, but with more going on and a loss rhythm tying it all together. very enjoyable bit of dirty Swedish tape music.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

ligature impression

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on September 12, 2016, 06:54:09 PM
needed that Italian touch over the weekend. along with the Domino cassette, these are probably my favorite releases by C031. ...  there's rarely consistent or heavy bass, just layers of caustic mid-frequency noise grinding down your ears. ...
I think that's my favorite thing about this project. It's never like a shitty, blown out tape rip. Recordings sound like a mic'd room rather than straight from the board. The sound of hard walls fits the street trade themes Marco has always focused on. Some thicker sounds on Self Shop and the title track of Bachelorette Party, but still dominating mid-range abuse.

david lloyd jones

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on September 12, 2016, 06:54:09 PM
needed that Italian touch over the weekend. along with the Domino cassette, these are probably my favorite releases by C031. one thing I really like about the C031 material is that the mastering/style makes it feel like I'm listening to sandpaper. there's rarely consistent or heavy bass, just layers of caustic mid-frequency noise grinding down your ears. frankly it's a bit difficult to listen to too much at a time, especially on headphones.

C031are a neglected output of wertham's work.
loved their videos at ufoi this year with their harsh documentary realism.
love the consumer fetishism of the split with the rita-cassette wrapped in a pop sock!
the f&v cd stuff is also well worth looking for as a specific euro themed release

Yrjö-Koskinen

Karjala (which is absurdly expensive on Alko, I need to hit the ferry as soon as possible) and a few shots of Yrttisnapsi tonight..

GRUNT - Recycled (Tape, RRR, 2005)
I was actually going to review 'Myth of Blood', which I recently bought on a mighty fine vinyl, but since my vinyl player has broken down it will have to wait. I've owned this release for ages, but for once there will be none of this "I thought that this was that, but in fact it was this" bullshit. I remember pretty much exactly how this tape sounded when I last heard it, it still sounds just the same, and it's fucking awesome. One side Grunt-style Power Electronics, one side brutal, noisy junk abuse. As most probably know, the Recycled tapes are just that - recorded on old, often commercial, tapes dubbed over and decorated with brown tape and black marker. The only information original to this release is scribblings of "Grunt" and "Recycled". I have to say I was never impressed by the concept as such, but in this case it gets the job done. The material is really great, and one advantage of this model for making releases is that this tape is (as far as I can tell from the RRR Records homepage) still available, eleven years later, to anyone who wants it. And it's a mere $4. My copy was constructed from an old The Yoopers tape, and for some reason I still haven't checked The Yoopers out. I should. If they are even half as good as Grunt is on this tape (which I am sure they are, though the style might be slightly different), it will be worth it.

KOSMODROM - Destination Moon (Tape, Geräuschmanufaktur 2016)
When it comes to the whole HNW thing, I've come into the genre rather late, and with the tired and bored eyes of an old(ish) man. Still, I noticed quite early that DEAD BODY COLLECTION had done some stuff with the genre, at least conceptually, that went beyond the cookie-cutter, nihilism and/or fetishism clichés. Principles such as "pure wall noise" or "no dynamics" makes sense for VOMIR and a select few, but it can't really keep a whole musical subgenre interesting. Enter KOSMODROM, the successor to DBC. I think this might be the beginning of "Harsh Noise Wall with content", which may always have existed, but probably not this explicitly. On this tape you will find  a wall of rather soft-spoken, slightly digital, harsh noise, but there's also very intentional, elaborate synth work going on. These notes and sections express the tape's specific Sci-Fi concept, otherwise presented in the very attractive, pro printed full color cover, complete with a reading list. Much like the elder Aesir slew the giant Ymir, and fashioned the world from his flesh, Kosmodrom has slain the asshole beast of HNW, and created a small cosmos of its flesh. It is not perfect (I might have preferred a wee bit more crunch in the wall'o noise itself, for instance), but it's still great stuff, and somehow innovative.

KOSMODROM - Battle in Outer Space (Tape, Mask of the Slave, 2016)
The second release of Kosmodrom, inspired by a fresh list of movies, songs and writers listed in a nice full color cover. "Battle in Outer Space" is somewhat less wall-y than the debut tape, but basically continues the same pattern of HNW-ish noise, complemented and sometimes broken up by psychedelic synth sections that bring various 50s Sci Fi movies to mind. I can't really shake the feeling that something new is being done to HNW here, which might alter the genre for the foreseeable future. Given that lyrics and samples are scarce in HNW, and seldom meshed with the actual noise wall, some common HNW concepts, like various sexual deviations, have never been believably transferred into the actual music of most projects. Kosmodrom has actually managed to integrate sounds that connect with the concept of the project in an intimate fashion, and once again produced something I would label "HNW with content". I could still do with a wee bit more crunch, but on this tape there is a quasi melodic, electronic fundament that makes this less important than on the first one. I am very much looking forward to what this project, which will probably be fairly prolific, will come up with next. Harsh Noise Wall was never quite this exciting.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

Dr Alex

Thanx for the Kosmodrom reviews, Martin.
Just to be clear for something, no anything is digital on these tracks. Beside usual HNW pedal gear, for space sounds I used various mini oscillators and drone synthesizer pedal. No keyboards are used and mixer is passive, so no effects on it. Also, everything is recorded live without overdubs. You can consider it as "live" tapes. :)
Incoming works are less HNW but more psychedelic. Hope you like it.

"Harsh Noise Wall with content" - I like it!

cutter

Tonight's choice:

Eccitazione Cadaverica - Incubo 1977
This time i choosed YouTube to get to this lovely 14 minutes track, classy Italy power electronics with great whispered vocals. Personally one of my favorites from Italian PE

Grunt - Myth Of Blood CD
Lovely album with really interesting cover/inside artwork, classic Grunt, nothing more to add

Taint - Indecent Liberties CD
This recollection from 2015 contains absolutely briliant tracks, also epic inside art (TIE'EM UP, TAKE 'EM DOWN & THAT'D BE IT)

Others via YouTube:
Sodality - Little Oral Linda
Mauthausen Orchestra - Kiss The Carpet
Nicole12 - Nippon Ballerina Voyeur

Fluid Fetish

Xenophobic Ejaculation- Past Atrocities: Hazy memories of mp3 files I had a long time ago because this album was impossible to find for me for a variety of reasons, WP is the album that got me into XE.  Purity is still my favorite but this is a close runner up, Oi being one of the best and quintessential XE tracks for me easily. Taking a single screeching feedback tone and then having carry through large parts of a song is kind of a XE trademark and on this song it's just vicious, especially the part closing out the track followed by the album title screamed full force then transforming into the samples of the next song.  Selection and combination of sounds is just perfect. Possibly the most aggressive and enraged sounding of all the XE vocal performances? Listening over and over and over...Vala is excellent as well of course but definitely prefer WP. The DVD-R that comes with the release is excellent as well, the XE video featuring plenty of fisting, riot videos, violence, and what looks like clips from the video that was used for the cover of Purity with plenty of interracial debasement. All in a very solid packaging that certainly makes me feel satisified with this release. Listening to WP again right now...

absurdexposition

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on September 10, 2016, 01:27:54 PM
LISTEN AND DIE! 6x LP Box set
Urashima
Great release in many ways. Line-up is pretty solid. It has the big names, but also couple smaller ones. Most of all, everybody delivers. Pretty much all american bands are solid. I think Diktat may be at their strongest here, while Discordance perhaps at their worst. Atrax Morgue is plain insane. Somewhere in fine line of genious and stupid. Iugula Thor doing their better works. Sshe Retina Stimulants too.

Trudged through this a few weeks ago. Utterly annihilating listening experience. The Deathpile side is amazing. Really, most of it is just top fucking notch. Discordance is definitely at their worst and maybe the only true flop of the whole set.

Today's playlist has consisted of:

STEGM - Harm Reduction CS
STEGM - Sugar Shower LP

Two good releases from this project of Ryan Bloomer who is likely no stranger to those on this board, but for the sake of it: currently active as 1/2 of Intensive Care and Scalp Elevator, previously active under his own name, as Piss Horn, formerly behind the kit (and guitar) in Ride At Dawn, and involved with The Endless Blockade near the end of their existence. The Sugar Shower LP has vocal contributions from Dom (Prurient) with some excellent lyrics.

FLATLINE CONSTRUCT / MOZ 10" lathe

Another project of Bloomer's. Solid split, the MOZ material is great. Haven't heard too much of that project but it's always been worthwhile.

BASTARD NOISE - Our Earth's Blood V 7"

Picked this up on a whim when BN played Montreal in 2015. Didn't care for it at first (so it goes with most current BN, in my opinion) but took the time to listen to it again based on some of the key players involved (Facialmess, Government Alpha, Guilty Connector, K2, etc) and it's a worthy listen. 9 very short collaborative excursions into the world of (some of) the Japanese noise masters.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

david lloyd jones

Quote from: Fluid Fetish on September 18, 2016, 04:00:35 AM
Xenophobic Ejaculation- Past Atrocities: Hazy memories of mp3 files I had a long time ago because this album was impossible to find for me for a variety of reasons, WP is the album that got me into XE.  Purity is still my favorite but this is a close runner up, Oi being one of the best and quintessential XE tracks for me easily. Taking a single screeching feedback tone and then having carry through large parts of a song is kind of a XE trademark and on this song it's just vicious, especially the part closing out the track followed by the album title screamed full force then transforming into the samples of the next song.  Selection and combination of sounds is just perfect. Possibly the most aggressive and enraged sounding of all the XE vocal performances? Listening over and over and over...Vala is excellent as well of course but definitely prefer WP. The DVD-R that comes with the release is excellent as well, the XE video featuring plenty of fisting, riot videos, violence, and what looks like clips from the video that was used for the cover of Purity with plenty of interracial debasement. All in a very solid packaging that certainly makes me feel satisified with this release. Listening to WP again right now...

sort of agree.
this id now the third edition of white power I own and as such always love this classic.
vale on cd works well enough, but the DVD after track one does flag, as raw material.
all told though the package and price were value.
video just not as grabbing as aseyvelis on wrath.