MLEHST

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, July 12, 2014, 11:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Project has been mentioned on forum here are there. Not long ago was listening old tape on Spite what was phenomenal works:

Mlehst "Automatic Nonsense" tape
SPITE 06
Discogs says this would be Spite 05, but I trust cover of tape is correct. Two small cards in plastic sleeve and tape between them. Great mix of experimental tape music and noise. I guess its utterly false to say "unnoticed", when Mlehst has so many LP's done and huge discography, but still, when you look at the discography, it costs A LOT of tiny edition releases. Lathe cut records, CDR's, tapes and even vinyl LP's appear often to be like ltd 100? Stuff he is something one could say noise version of electro-acoustic/musique concrete. Perhaps a bit like P16.D4. It has utmost talent, like the best of academic works, but it has neat noisy edge to it. Some tape loops, but more often just collaged and manipulated sounds, noises, etc. The absolute best thing is of course that material is from 1997, and cutting and sound quality doesn't give impressions of computer work. Methods that have been available at this time, are much more difficult, but also result is phenomenal. Too bad that "history of Mlehst" series was also issued just as slimline dvd box packaged CDR's. Those are cheap to get, though. So anyone who's not into hunting old tapes, check out Self Abuse. Perhaps would be also good time to grab those more recent LP releases now when they're still easily available.

Yesterday was listening one of the "new" album, " I Am, I Was, I Will Always Be" LP from 2006. It's intentionally minimal. First track of album is used as source material of 10 other tracks that follow. And result is among laziest and least interesting Mlehst what I have heard. Got one other LP piled for todays listening and few more in shelves waiting. But then wondering who has experience of Mlehst first era (1991-2001) and after return 2005 onwards? I got this feeling the return isn't as interesting as the old works, but don't want to make conclusions based on just couple items from such a vast discography.

Comments? Favorites? Recommendations?
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

"As A Man Thinketh, So He Is In His Heart" LP, 2006. Damn, not good. Not good at all. One could perhaps lean towards saying this is pretty much shit actually. Bad and boring sounds. Drone works are almost ok, but noise sounds are awful. What happened?

audiodissection

My personal favourites are the split cassette w/Crack Fierce on United Syndicate and the "Dancing Pricks" C60 (Muzamuza Records). I recommend the Self Abuse CDr series with selected material from all his works.

THE RITA HN

The MACROSONIC collaboration will always be a masterwork, although my favorite MLEHST work is definitely "Her Single Desire Was Sadistic Pleasure But Emotions Always Betrayed Her".
I can't forget "This Pain Does Not Belong to Me" as well.
Somewhat recently got copies of the more recent "The Longest Lie" and "Arsehole Fever" straight from the source and they are both great.
So many releases are amazing works from this project; an indispensable part of 90s+ harsh noise alongside guys like SKIN CRIME, MACRONYMPHA, SMELL & QUIM, etc.

ImpulsyStetoskopu

I could recommend first of all:
"Dancing Pricks" (MuzaMuza 1996) cassette
Very good collage noise. My favourite work.

"Deep Throat And Felching" (Stinky Horse Fuck 1995) cassette
Very good too. As far as I remember well noisier than mentioned above.

"Breathing In Dead Flies" (Bandaged Hand Produce 1996) LP
Abstract collages. I liked it very much....

eyestrain

Above two posts are great releases. Would also recommend the recent, and very affordable, Horse Hair Whipps 4xC40 which offers up many re-realized pieces.

terminus01

i will be releasing a mlehst cassette entitled "cunt trouble" on monorail in the coming months; it bridges the gap between his newer, digital source material approach and the older surrealist cut-up style of composition. one of the better efforts, i've been sitting on it for far too many months due to financial problems with the label. soon.

cipher chris

The Bandaged Hand LPs are all excellent, as is the newer Mlehst/R&G LP.  'Difficulty In Crossing A Field' is amazing.  The 'Le Main Bandee' tape and tape on Self Abuse are also favourites, but I can pick up virtually any of All's works and enjoy it.  Agreed the Self Abuse 'History Of Mlehst' CDRs are a fine pickup.

A new track and extensive interview (about 10 pages worth) are in the next 'Night Science', available quite soon.

johnny valentine

I am attempting to compile a compilation for release on a multiCD format and trying to track down collectors who may have some of the Bandaged Hand Produce-era Mlehst cassette material.

any help/input appreciated please reply to cairdeandroichoir@gmail.com

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: johnny valentine on November 15, 2016, 09:37:00 PM
I am attempting to compile a compilation for release on a multiCD format and trying to track down collectors who may have some of the Bandaged Hand Produce-era Mlehst cassette material.

Artist himself doesn't have?
I also suggest you to check out what was done by Self Abuse. He reissued a lot of stuff on CDR's. I'd be willing to grab real CD releases of old stuff any time!

HongKongGoolagong

A truly great and unique electronic artist. I have never heard the post-2005 comeback work but have very fond memories of the quality of his sides from the split 7" with Brume, the split LPs with Runzelstirn & Gurglestock and Smell & Quim and the brilliant 'Another Cross To Bear' cassette on the forgotten Vigilant imprint.

Bandaged Hand was a label with an eerie and cold vibration and I can't think of anything else from the '90s that came so close to Broken Flag in its aesthetic.

eyestrain

Quote from: HongKongGoolagong on November 17, 2016, 11:46:53 PM
I have never heard the post-2005 comeback work

Having just discovered Mlehst a few years ago, I've been buying a-plenty since. Mostly, I've got my hands on his more recent output of course. In that, I'd say the quality rises the closer you get to the present date. All the big tape boxes like "Horse Hair Whipps", "Poacher Turned Gamekeeper Turned Poacher", "This Is Your Master Calling", " Cookmaid With Still Life Of Vegetables And Fruit" have been absolutely worth it! And I'd tip my hat to "Dolly Catcher", "Cunt Trouble" and "Roll Rag/Gag Bowl" as well. Was ultra-envious of Night Science catching an interview with All last year. Incredibly talented and interesting artist full-circle. Hope that there is more new work very soon.

johnny valentine

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on November 16, 2016, 02:58:21 PM
Quote from: johnny valentine on November 15, 2016, 09:37:00 PM

Artist himself doesn't have?
I also suggest you to check out what was done by Self Abuse. He reissued a lot of stuff on CDR's. I'd be willing to grab real CD releases of old stuff any time!

The artist famously destroyed all master tapes and copies of Mlehst tapes in a moment of phenomenal lack of clarity! there are other recordings not collected on the Self Abuse series, titles such as "not onamatopiea", "prurient soprano", "kids on fire", collaboration tape with factorX....very small editions mostly traded. Cheeses Intl also had at least one exclusive Mlehst tape albums in the mail-order, name unknown but precursor/tape version of "breathing in dead flies".

These ultra rare items are sought after, owners unknown, not listed on discogs.

terminus01

from 2005 interview with the artist at: http://igloomag.com/profiles/microview-xxx-whiplash-w-mlehst

QuoteSelf Abuse has most of the Mlehst master tapes from the period 1992-1998 so get on to him to re-release those!

would absolutely love to see a fully thorough CD box along the lines of hospital's skin crime set.

SiClark

Hospital have just released -

MLEHST – the difficulty in crossing a field – 2xLP  - if anyone is interested.

http://hospitalproductions.net/shop/