DARK AMBIENT

Started by bogskaggmannen, March 29, 2010, 10:53:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno Marx

well, ran into an album, and maybe an artist, that will likely end up on my all-time ambient list:
Keith Berry - The Ear that Was Sold to a Fish/Turn Right a Thousand Feet from Here 2CD

Field recordings and piercing digital sounds manipulated into some of the finest ambient/minimalism I've heard in a while. Up there with JGrzinich's Intimations. Neither Berry nor Grzinich would be considered ambient, but they certainly are. They'd also be highly coveted by the more demanding Malignant devotee if they were named something similar to a teenage death metal band. Berry's album on Elevator Bath is of similar great quality, but it is different in style to this 2CD (at least different than CD1).
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

enmity

Quote from: Zeno Marx on June 10, 2012, 06:24:56 AM
well, ran into an album, and maybe an artist, that will likely end up on my all-time ambient list:
Keith Berry - The Ear that Was Sold to a Fish/Turn Right a Thousand Feet from Here 2CD

Field recordings and piercing digital sounds manipulated into some of the finest ambient/minimalism I've heard in a while. Up there with JGrzinich's Intimations. Neither Berry nor Grzinich would be considered ambient, but they certainly are. They'd also be highly coveted by the more demanding Malignant devotee if they were named something similar to a teenage death metal band. Berry's album on Elevator Bath is of similar great quality, but it is different in style to this 2CD (at least different than CD1).

Man, I have never heard of either of these artists, I will have to check them out. Is this material hard to find? If not can you give some links to where this can be purchased... Thanks in advance.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: enmity on June 10, 2012, 06:32:52 AM

Man, I have never heard of either of these artists, I will have to check them out. Is this material hard to find? If not can you give some links to where this can be purchased... Thanks in advance.
Fusetron shows the JGrzinich in stock at at a decent price.  I'm not sure how well Berry is distributed.  I checked a couple places I thought would stock it, but they didn't have it.   Discogs might be your best shot.
a good excerpt here.  really kicks in at 1:22:
http://soundcloud.com/experimedia/keith-berry-the-ear-that-was
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

tinnitustimulus

my personal favorite is 90's 4track era MLEHST, though I'm not sure if it is exactly dark ambient, it seems to be in a more nurse with wound surreal musique concrete territory.  I only have Living Without Feeling, Notes of Obscure Origin and The History Of Mlehst - Chapter 3 cdrs but I attend to get more though i don't know what next. any suggestions?

tisbor

this is a genre i never really explored, i guess i'll take some of the suggestions given here

enmity

Quote from: Zeno Marx on June 10, 2012, 10:07:12 AM
Quote from: enmity on June 10, 2012, 06:32:52 AM

Fusetron shows the JGrzinich in stock at at a decent price.  I'm not sure how well Berry is distributed.  I checked a couple places I thought would stock it, but they didn't have it.   Discogs might be your best shot.
a good excerpt here.  really kicks in at 1:22:
http://soundcloud.com/experimedia/keith-berry-the-ear-that-was

I listened to some of the Grzinich online and watched some of his video work on youtube. This guy is a genius! He really goes all out and I have to give it up to him for being so original. This video http://youtu.be/PPSPtOP3XrM gave me cold chills. I will be purchasing many of his releases soon from his personal website.

Zeno Marx

If you like what you're hearing from JGrzinich, add Seth Nehil, Yannick Dauby, Hitoshi Kojo (also Spiracle), and MNortham to your radar.  I think JGrzinich is at the top of this particular food chain, not only because of his peaks, but also because of his consistency.  MNortham can be a little hit and miss.  Nehil has picked up his game in the past couple of years.  Dauby has wandered off into the world of field recordings.  They're good, but I prefer his work from several years ago over the field recordings.

JGrzinich has a DVD coming out on three labels sometime soon.  If they don't announce it, I'll mention it.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Bloated Slutbag

Olhon have consistently delivered darkly immersive atmospheres, often evoking dread undercurrents flowing through their watery depths. The Lucifugus 10" is I believe their most recent outing and departs a distance from the depths, very raw scrap materials scratching fluttering shuffling in the confines of a  tepid water tank, light atmospheric strokes adding an agreeable touch of class-cum-cheese. But much as I love, Luci has nothing on Sinkhole, perhaps their most critically acclaimed, with acoustic sources sunk deep, deep, down in a murky mire of unrelenting gloom. Those who have experienced, repeatedly,  nightmares involving one's own gradual, inexorable, internment in a watery grave – and who hasn't – may be engaged by a disturbing sense of deja vu. Calls to mind Algernon Blackwood's classic piece of short fiction "The Willows", suggestive horror at its best, conveying a sense of some menacing, nameless horror lurking just below our conscious surface.

As I typed the above I was reminded of another rarely acknowledged wonder, the James Plotkin / Mick Harris collaborative Collapse. This one is rather less atmospheric, more active, muscular even, the repressed horrors surging if never quite boiling over, always verging on of the eponymous breakdown. Straight-ahead, inelaborate execution, at least compared to a lot of things Harris has offered, but better than much of what I've heard from either of these gents individually.

The "sound of engines & industrial mechanisms" thread prodded me into again propping up Vivenza's Aerobruitisme Dynamique – not as a piece of industrial-strength pounding godbeast machination, but rather dark ambiance verite! Vivenza's relentless hammering has always struck this skull as rather ambient in impact, if never particularly dark. Certainly not as dark as you might get from carefully filtered turbine-blackened drone-action. At the right distance, jet engines may sound more soothing than oppressive, but this disc I think strikes the right balance: full-flavored in its implied sound-pressures yet of a fluffy, billowing, cumulonimbus persuasion.

Another seldom acknowledged work, at least in the field of darkambient exploration, Pierre Henry's Le Livre des morts egyptien (The Egyptian Book of The Dead), 1988. I accept that few would put this in the darkambient canon, but thematically, it fits. Two decades after Henry gives us his magnum opus, Apocalypse de jean, and more than three decades after he gives us Le Voyage based on The Tibetan Book of The Dead, along comes what I regard as a vastly superior work. Conjuring ominous, spectral scenes of dust-swept corridors traversed by the dead as they hopefully navigate their way through Dislocation...Negation... Judgement... clanking percussives buried in deep cavernous howls. The sound is dense and occasionally very loud, percussive clutter cancelling out the more classically ambient permutations, nevertheless a stellar piece of work – darkambient or otherwise - worthy of repeat listen.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Zeno Marx

BH-40 Anakrid / Warmth collaborative C13

I've been thoroughly impressed with everything Anakrid has done. This tape is no exception. Makes me pine for more dark ambient from him. He's proven he can do it very well, and here he does again. Both sides are high quality. Warmth holds their own. Great looking tape, too. Would like to see them get together and milk an 80-minute CD of similar style.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Black_Angkar

A lot of "dark ambient" is plagued by it being completely generic. Which is why I'm not in to it that much. It's like with wall noise or a lot of harsh for me. There are a few acts who manage to deliver interesting stuff with generic material, but it works better as an element within other musical formats, and I've always disliked the term "dark ambient" being applied to anything that just happens to be dark, slow, relatively abstract soundscapes. Though there are some things here that seem definitely worth checking out. 

I've been dubbed dark ambient a few times and that always feels unsatisfying, as I sort of make the connection to "bad black metal intro". On the other hand I love cheesy synths and Daudi Baldrs too, so I suppose some justice can be applied to the opinion...   

THE SKIN

there would be an endless list to post.

i put some of the best names for me:
BSE
Mariae nascenti
Inade

i want to remember an interesting raw , concrete and creepy Italian ambient : TOMBSTONE

Player One

Quote from: KMusselman on June 08, 2011, 03:40:39 AM
Quote from: Zeno Marx on June 08, 2011, 02:32:34 AM
Not sure where to put this, but Tehom is said to be recording again.  Good news.

I thought he died from a war related illness?

Only for exchanging right and true TeHôM infos:

Siniša died from cancer (metastases), probably war related illness, but this was never confirmed... And his long year's good friend and project partner Miljenko Rajakovic who has with him other project named Principia Audiomatica (and also who work and helped Siniša on 2nd TeHôM album "Theriomorphic Spirits") re-born project 2010.
So, TeHôM project disbanded in 1997. when Siniša died and 2000 was released this "post-mortem" legendary 2nd album. A decade later Miljenko resurrected the project 2010 and now led by the only surviving member to continue the legacy and preserve the memory of his mutual dear friend Sinisa Ocurščak (RIP '97) whose premature death has left a large gap in the hearts of Dark Ambient fans worldwide.. So project goes on.. like also re-borned Principia Audiomatica.  

A long time has passed since any TeHôM output. Marking the first appearance of the returning act is the track "The Magnitude Of Shaking" which he made for the acclaimed Dark Ritual Drone Ambient UK based Kalpamantra Records as well as an appearance on the compilation "Krtrima Sprha", May 2012!!
Appearing on this compilation are some renowned names from this scene such as : Northaunt aka Therradaemon, Gydja, Kammarheit, Herbst9, Sinke Dûs, Collapsar, Blood Box, Peter Bjärgö, Beyond Sensory Experience, Maeror Tri, Vortex, New Risen Throne, Parhelion, Lamia Vox, Deutsch Nepal, Dahlia's Tear, Triangular Ascension, etc...

This will be followed by the brandnew TeHôM long awaited 3rd CD album, now in preparation..as soon will be released also for very renowned label in the scene.. In plans are also 1st Europe and Worldwide live appearances and shows.
Here are also TeHôM 2 videos made this year: "The Shadow Integration", "The Eight Sky"
Check more infos and updates @ www.tehom.org

Zeno Marx

thanks for the link and the update
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

chthonic

A MURDER OF ANGELS
uses lots of analog + old digital hardware like samplers and outboard effects, plenty of warm conversion stages inbetween, especially live. around since 1999, back after a hiatus.

http://www.amurderofangels.com

Invisible War

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on March 29, 2010, 10:21:32 PM
Still I fail to see a lot of the "rivethead" connection, since many of the labels are also responsible for a lot of PE and even noise. Of course, I don't deny the connection that there is. Especially in germany due type of live activity they have.
But what makes it more "mainstream", is something what I do question. What is less mainstream in design of various US labels, even many who do plain noise? Helicopter, Blossoming Noise, Malignant, Hospital, just the name couple?

This is something I've been observing in recent years, the increased popularity of "dark ambient". Ant-Zen is re-issuing the old Lustmord albums. IDM/EBM labels like Tympanik are signing "dark ambient"/IDM crossover bands. I personally have no issues with Ant-Zen, and totally aware that they released early Con-Dom and Deutsch Nepal albums, but it's without question that they are one of the more "mainstream" labels. I don't particularly care, it could even help some labels that release good dark ambient artists, but just something I've noticed.