Usage of animals in experimental music

Started by Niko, December 18, 2011, 08:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattias G

I am also thinking of that Walter Marchetti LP with pigs and piano. Very good!

emboscado

Quote from: xdementia on December 19, 2011, 05:41:20 AM
my personal favorite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsaaFO_YBFM

Watching again this Vagina Dentata Organ video, I had some sort of epiphany, since his aesthetics reminds me of Genocide Organ, I mean: paramilitary clothing, calix cups and the word ORGAN in the name of the band. They (GO) started around 1988 and this video is four years before.

Probably just a funny coincidence but I'm curious...
e m b o s c a d o

Zeno Marx

Chod has a track or two with wolves howling.  Really nice stuff.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

murderous_vision

emboscado

Quote from: Zeno Marx on December 20, 2011, 04:48:47 AM
Chod has a track or two with wolves howling.  Really nice stuff.

I also remember a track from 'Extreme Music from Women' titled 'Lycanthropy' by Annabel Lee (Blood Axis) which used wolves grunts.
e m b o s c a d o

Strömkarlen

Vagina Dentata Organ – Music For The Hashishins dogs

according to Jordi

I: VAGINA DENTATA ORGAN PRESENTS : MUSIC FOR THE HASHISHINS, IN MEMORIAM OF HASSAN-I-SABBAH. (TRAINED TO KILL/SEXUAL). All you hear on both sides of this LP is the wild growl of a real dog trained to kill. It's violent and cruel. A passionate, and desperate appeal to murder. I call it poetry without rhetoric.

tiny_tove

the dogs used in the (excellent) video L'age d'or looks more shitscared than trained to kill :)
a nyway classic video, one of the most powerful things I have ever seen
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

ddmurph

lots of schimpfluch releases use animal recordings, most obvious being dave phillips ... schimpfluch-commune chiang may (dogs), plus all the insect recordings stuff. there's some dog barking sounds on the raionbashi & kutzkelina - aktion 091216 berlin lp. also, from an interview with rudolf ...

QuoteFOR AN "ARCHITECTS-FORUM" IN TAIPEI I ONCE WAS HIRED, THAT WAS WHILE I WAS GOAT-SHEPERD IN THE MOUNTAINS, I TOOK THREE OF MY GOATS DOWN TO THE BOURGEOIS OPENING-PARTY. THE GOATS HAD SUCH A FUN RAMMING HORNS INTO ASSES OF CHAMPAING SUCKING BITCHES, LETTING GO NEXT THEIR EXPENSIVE HIGHHEELS. I DON'T KNOW WHO WAS LAUGHING HARDER; ME, THE GOATS, OR MY FRIENDS IN THE AUDIANCE. PERFECT PANIC.

MY ROOSTER DID SUCH A WELL AKTION TOO. SO PROUD TO BE ON STAGE. HE KNEW HE IS THE MASTER OF THE CEREMONY, WITH PICK-UPS ON HIS NECK.

... http://www.tinymixtapes.com/features/runzelstirn-gurgelstoslashck

joe colley's hive uses sounds sourced from a beehive

terry fox - labyrinth scored for 11 different cats

haven't heard it but, also, matmos - rat relocation program ...

QuoteA street rat was breaking into our apartment, eating our food and chewing holes in our clothes, skittering across our kitchen in the dark, scuttling inside our walls late at night. Since we already had a pet rat, the prospect of trying to kill one rat while feeding another struck us as intolerable hypocrisy, so we bought a non-lethal 'Have-a-Heart Trap'. After several days of luring the invader closer and closer towards and then inside the trap with peanuts, we captured her. The first track is an unedited recording of the rat protesting its incarceration. The second track is our response, in which the timing and duration of the rat screams from the first track have been preserved. The following morning we took the rat to a wealthy suburban neighborhood and set it free." -- Drew Daniel.

Quote from: Henrik III on December 19, 2011, 01:05:26 AM
Masterful evocative old skool rough artyness by Henning Christiansen:

http://www.soundohm.com/henning-christiansen/symphony-natura/slowscan/

this is incredible, an all-time favourite round these parts. it's up on ubuweb on also ... http://www.ubu.com/sound/christiansen.html

youngnosh

I'm sure there is a skin graft release with dogs on it.
It put me off to be honest!

burdizzo

The Hafler Trio used lambs on 'A Thirsty Fish'. Pretty cool release, too.

Johann

Quote from: Si Clark on December 18, 2011, 08:44:29 PM
I remember hearing one artist who recorded the death rattle of a badly injured rabbit he found in his garden. He put some minimal sounds behind it, it was a bit strange. I can't remember the guy's name, will have a think. Lots of pig noises on the Chains of Death Command tape, that's all I can think of for now.

Jeph Jerman did this, it was released as a free MP3 (unedited/processed field recording) along with a few other recordings by some website...i'll have to look to see if i still have the MP3.

R&G released an album that utilized the sound of dogs (reprocessed recordings provided by Stella of Macro) I haven't heard it but maybe someone else could comment on it
http://www.discogs.com/Runzelstirn-Gurgelst%C3%B8ck-Dein-Mund-So-Rot-/release/538860

Dave Phillips uses these sounds really well and has also released some field recordings on CD of frogs/insects etc in thailand (?) maybe i'm wrong.

Another highly recommended cd of insect sounds is 'broken hearted dragonflies: insect electronica" released by sublime frequencies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsKaiR4a5FQ (for a sample)

nyarluna

Tribes of Neurot "Adaptation and Survival: The Insect Project"
a sound experiment dedicated to and inspired by insects.

Designed to have multiple mixing capabilities consisting of a 5",7" and 10" enabling listeners to mix and layer their own unique insect experience utilizing multiple turntables and sound systems.  The CD release features two discs withe the 1st disc containing the vinyl mixes and the 2 disc containing a stereo representation of a single potential outcome of such exploration of the many original pieces.  Listeners are encouraged to try playing the two discs simultaneously on different sound systems for further depth into the sounds of insects.

ConcreteMascara

Ah that Tribes of Neurot release is a good one. An overused to describe would be meditative.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Johann

http://compostandheight.blogspot.com/2009/04/jeph-jerman-putting-rabbit-down.html

Found it, download still works. Text is from the site

"Coming home one evening I found a young rabbit on my front porch. a not uncommon occurrence, there were rabbits all over the yard throughout the day, but there was something different about this one: it didn't run off as i approached it. I got to within a foot or so and it still didn't hop away. i nudged it with my foot and it loped slightly sideways and then stayed put. I crouched down to take a close look and stayed that way for several minutes. The rabbit didn't move. "obviously something wrong here", I thought, and went inside. When i came out a few hours later, the rabbit was nearer my neighbor's house, and still not running away if I came near. It was then that I noticed that it's head was somewhat larger than before, and surmised that something was definitely wrong with it. I wondered if i should do anything, but eventually decided not to and went to bed. The next day when I came home from work the rabbit was in the driveway and I had to swerve to avoid hitting it. I had asked a co-worker who is knowledgeable about animals what she thought and she said it had probably been hit by a car, reassuring me that that didn't necessarily mean that I had hit it. I wondered then if this animal was trying to commit suicide to relieve itself. I got out of the car and went over to look at it again. I'll spare you the details but it was much worse off. I thought about killing it, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. what if it would recover? I went inside.

Coming out again several hours later I found the rabbit prone and barely alive. Putting on some old gardening gloves I picked it up and placed it in a grass-lined hole under a mesquite tree in my front yard. Then I went back in the house and got my recorder. Placing the microphones on either side of it's head I recorded several minutes of the rabbit's laboured breathing. I felt kind of strange about this, but I did it anyway, rationalizing that it was another fairly unique desert sound, and rabbits probably died every day, without me (or anyone else) noticing. By evening the rabbit was dead. I took it out into a large tract of land adjacent my house and buried it.

A number of conundrums presented themselves around this event. Should I have "put the rabbit out of it's misery"? should I have recorded it, or was this a ghoulish act? Should I do anything with the recording, or should I delete it? The recording resided on a shelf in my studio for a couple of years, and I thought about these things every so often. Recently, while working on some other field recordings, I decided that the rabbit recording would fit in with what I was working on, so I mixed it in. All the old questions came up again, and I wondered what to do with the finished piece. I told the story to a couple of good friends whom I was visiting in New York, and they encouraged me to publish the work along with the story. All of this has been compounded by the fact that it is nearing Easter, and images of rabbits are everywhere.

After telling the story to my friends, and expressing my doubts about what I was doing, I was reminded of the old zen story: two monks are walking along a path when they come to a stream, beside which stands a woman who is obviously trying to cross, but unable to do so on her own. the first monk, without thinking, hoists the woman on his back and wades across the river. the second monk follows. after this the two monks walk on. a while later the second monk turns to the first and says "why did you do that? you know that we're not allowed to touch women..." the first monk replies "put her down. I did an hour ago".

So I suppose this piece is my way of putting the rabbit down."- Jeph Jerman

tinnitustimulus

I can't find any information that used to be on his site, but peter b. (ciat-lonbarde) did a performance of putting earthworms on to contacts controlling one his weird synths. the electronic voltages made the worms really squirm. I'd like to see more of this somewhere.

russell haswell - recorded while it actually happened/Wild Tracks - More like Field Recordings, but that includes recordings of flies and ants.