Megaptera/Negru Voda/Peter Nystrom

Started by murderous_vision, February 04, 2010, 07:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murderous_vision

This project, and it's mainstay Peter Nystrom, with his various other projects are among the most crucial. In my opinion at least. I feel it is suitable to mention his name in any forum dealing with Industrial. Very much looking forward to the Negru Voda boxset due this year on Malignant. Where would Death-Industrial be without these contributions?

bogskaggmannen

On a counter note, I have never really understood the "genius" of Peter Nyström. I have yet to hear any of his work that does anything at all for me. Megaptera's first LP was decent (maybe due to BDN worship?) but later works feels too clean and missing the organic feel I enjoy - especially appearent with his later computer made works as Negru Voda. I heard some good talk about the Obscene Noise Korporation LP on Slaughter - can anyone confirm?

Strömkarlen

Quote from: bogskaggmannen on February 05, 2010, 01:21:09 PM
On a counter note, I have never really understood the "genius" of Peter Nyström. I have yet to hear any of his work that does anything at all for me. Megaptera's first LP was decent (maybe due to BDN worship?) but later works feels too clean and missing the organic feel I enjoy - especially appearent with his later computer made works as Negru Voda. I heard some good talk about the Obscene Noise Korporation LP on Slaughter - can anyone confirm?

Maybe this is a Swedish thing? I don't "get" him either nor his love for Ulf Lundell.

Ritual

I have enjoyed some Negru Voda material, but I don't think I've fully enjoyed any NV release in its entirety. Basically for the same reasons mentioned above. Megaptera have done more engaging material, but nothing that truly stands out, for me.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: bogskaggmannen on February 05, 2010, 01:21:09 PM
Obscene Noise Korporation LP on Slaughter ?

Not very good. More noisy, raw, one dimensional, routine job with kind of typical tools. Not bad, but one could list about 1000 noise releases you should buy before it.
I've heard most of his stuff and seen him play live. I would think that it requires soundtrack music / movie approach to really rate them. If you rate them based on "industrial", "noise", etc standards, nothing very special. In context of horror soundtracks... maybe pretty good?
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

drunk

I think the Krystoffer Nyström Orkester cd is very good. Can't remember its name right now.
Into The Grave is probably the best death metal record ever.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: drunk on February 05, 2010, 08:46:19 PM
I think the Krystoffer Nyström Orkester cd is very good.
I find it to be maybe one of the best things he's ever done.  The more surprising thing is that it has held up to repeated listens.  For me, this is where this stuff runs into trouble.  All the movie and cultural samples littering and filling too much space, quickly dating it and causing the entire work to suffer.  First listen?  It can be interesting.  Subsequent listens?  Even by the second listen, they tend to lose all their punch and sound like a series of mundane ideas.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

drunk

Quote from: Zeno Marx on February 05, 2010, 09:13:09 PM
Quote from: drunk on February 05, 2010, 08:46:19 PM
I think the Krystoffer Nyström Orkester cd is very good.
I find it to be maybe one of the best things he's ever done.  The more surprising thing is that it has held up to repeated listens.  For me, this is where this stuff runs into trouble.  All the movie and cultural samples littering and filling too much space, quickly dating it and causing the entire work to suffer.  First listen?  It can be interesting.  Subsequent listens?  Even by the second listen, they tend to lose all their punch and sound like a series of mundane ideas.

You've actually hit the spot here. I've never quite nailed what is it that sounded "off" to me when listening to this guy's music. And it is in fact the goddamn abuse of samples, not just in NV, but in pretty much everything he's been involved in. And you're also damn right about the somewhat "one trick pony" quality to his works when it comes to the music itself. The first listen is great, but then... mmmmmmmm

Regardless, I really liked Megaptera. An early BDN clone some say, but "Curse of the Scarecrow" and "Songs From The Massive Darkness" I think are a really good listen when you're in the mood. Much better than some late BDN at least.

Sorry for my crappy english by the way...
Into The Grave is probably the best death metal record ever.