Live show reports / comments

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, July 25, 2011, 09:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiny_tove

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on January 07, 2014, 09:37:35 PM
Did anyone see The Sodality perform this past weekend?

http://colloidalsemantika.blogspot.it/

I was hoping Andrea Cernotto would be involved (he could well be as I didn't watch all the video).

He somehow directed it "off-stage", not sure if at the mixer or what. Anyway people who were there were very happy -also for other projects involved.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

P-K

Noisefest 15/3/2014 Kortrijk Belgium

only saw the second bit due to public transport :

Urpf Lanze : freestyle guitar noodling, boring as hell ! next !

Puce Mary & LR : imho great set, synth, pedals, loops, contact mics, dual vocals, saliva, choking...'not unlike' something DDV would do. good, as expected!

Lettera22 : delivered the goods, highly detailed dynamic noise with a solid composition. a lot of live aktion & manipulation...sounded like a skyscraper, collapsing in slow-motion. beautifull.

Gordon Ashworth : who? seemed to be involved in Oscillating Innards, (who i like) but this was BORING noise. source-loop had a silent cut that really broke the set. next!

Dave Phillips : higly agressive 'vocal' noise (screaming, breating,...), harsh & dynamic ...but with rather preachy animal-abuse video...explicit but since nobody left the room vomiting it lost the point imho. people are desensitized...but, good set!

Consumer Electronics : CE is not Bennett-Sotos-Best...compared to the Broken Flag-set this was weak...rather safe. drinking water, no interaction with crowd, pointless synthnoodling with Best's venom on top...more distorted beats : i feel a 12" on Blackest Ever Black comming up....

awesome venue for this, good pa.

impulse manslaughter

Article about the Belgium Noisefest: http://skylinereviews.com/?p=15046

I had a good time.. favorite sets; Dave Phillips, Lettera 22, Puce Mary/LR & Svartvit..

Ashmonger

Bruital Orgasm: Just like last year we arrived in time to miss the first act, as expected. Well, I don't know anything by this project, so I don't know whether I missed something or not.
Flunitrazepam Haloperidol: Hmm, the moment it started, I had "bowel movement", so I only saw half of their set. Harsh Noise, not bad, but didn't really catch my attention either.
Svartvit: Good! First time I saw him perform. Better than I expected honestly.
Händer Som Vardar: Harsh Noise, but again this didn't do much for me. I also had expected something else, since some of the samples I had heard before are more like musique concrete or something like that and there was nothing like this in this set.
MX LX: Nice, with calmer more atmospheric parts going a bit in the Ambient direction and others with aggressive vocals and noise parts.
Urpf Lanze: Eh?! I really didn't know what this was doing in here. Only thing I could think of is that last year there was a band with retards and now this. There was some humour in it, but not good enough for me. Funny music only works for me if it's really good music and very funny lyrics and jokes or if it's totally over the top in all ways. (So, also fuck those grindcore bands who just dress "funny" and make lame grindcore.)
Puce Mary + LR: GREAT!!! Good music from start to finish and interesting (and partly sexy) performance! Too bad there was only one copy of the Puce Mary + LR LP available, should have grabbed it right away.
Lettera 22: Also very good too! Started calm (which made a friend of mine go away), then got into Harsh Noise (which made said friend come back, wondering whether it still was the same gig, hehe). Anyway, I really liked both parts, good textures, very dynamic. Got the Physical Point 12" which is really good too.
Gordon Ashworth: Despite hearing some people describe his set as boring, I quite liked what I heard. Good Harsh Noise parts with more atmospheric parts/sounds as well, nice.
Dave Phillips: Wasn't too fond of the noise itself and the video, well, I can't say I don't agree with the overall idea of the video, but some of the slogans were too cliché.
Consumer Electronics: I liked the first track, then my interested started to fade. Didn't like his vocals either. Then when the first track with beats (and fucking annoying drumcomputer cymbal sound) started I really had enough. So, I just wandered around and saw some more parts, but meh, didn't like it.

I really liked the fest again, it's cheap and saw some really nice stuff again. Less people than last year, but well, so be it, I hope to see another interesting edition next year.

Saw Hvide Nætter yesterday. It was blissful. Up there with Puce Mary, I'd say. What made it so great? The two absolutely fantastic build-ups: one in "Transparens" which was turned up to 11 in all regards in comparison with the "studio" recording. and the other from the first sounds of "Ordets Etaper" (which "Transparens" smoothly flowed into) all the way to the entire performance's climax. I need to go into a little bit of detail here: the first half (i.e. two aforementioned tracks) reminded me of Dagda Mor's calmer moments, e.g. "This Sun for Europe!" from "The Border of the Light", thus the build-up was exponential, and when the climax came, it was devastating. The only apt comparison I can think of is an earthquake: first some weak, barely noticeable tremors, then the foreshock, then more tremors, first weak but gradually increasing in strength, and, finally, the mainshock. Like a building gently trembling initially, but when the impact comes, walls shattering, floors collapsing, everything unhinging into chaos. Musically, despite it coming very close to PE/HN, I can't really think of anything similar because while it undoubtedly was chaos, it was a deliberate, intentional, masterfully crafted one. Anyway, I enjoyed the performance greatly, and even some minor technical problems in the middle of the set only made it more charming. Despite (or thanks to?) the venue being half-way in the process of undergoing total reconstruction, the sound was perfect and, most importantly, it wasn't too loud - I could hear every tiny detail with ease. Long story short, every second was worth it, the band are very nice guys, so if you have a chance to see them live, I'd strongly suggest doing so.

With all this said, I'm now looking forward to seeing Croatian Amor next Sunday, will probably share my experience here.

ConcreteMascara

caught Nyodene D / Column of Heaven / Full of Hell show in New Brunswick, NJ on Monday. I figure it's noisy enough to qualify here...

so this was a basement house show with a ceiling so low i kept hitting my head on shit. cramped and personal.

first up, NJ hardcore band Old Wounds. pretty decent hardcore. more clean vocals than i could really get into though. the sound was pretty muddy but that might have been because of where i was standing or the amp set up. great energy from the band though. interested to hear their recorded material

next fucking Column of Heaven - yes! i was really excited for this but my enjoyment was a bit hampered when i slammed the top of my head into a metal beam a minute into their set. their set was all in the powerviolence/death metal vein, none of the noise stuff. really filthy bass playing and some very fine death metal riffs in some of the new material they played. Andrew Nolan got right in everyone's face, which wasn't hard since the space was so small. good shit!

next Nyodene D. It was great to see Aaron perform live again without being wildly intoxicated, so i actually i remembered what everything sounded like. first track with its rhythmic bell chiming was ace. once the vocals came in that awful/wonderful smell of burning electronics started emanating from one of the speakers. as the set went on things got crunchier and heavier, while still maintaining clarity. it's always a pleasure to hear structured p.e. done right. really enjoyed the sounds and the forceful crowd interaction.

finally Full of Hell. i guess they're known for combining noise shit with powerviolence/hardcore. i was instantly taken by how young all these guys looked. and then even more impressed when they stole the show. insane energy and violence. super heavy, super fast, super aggressive. i was flailing around so hard my neck still hurts (probably because im like an old man in a 26 year olds body). never a stop or dull moment in the set, any tuning was done while suitcase analogue electronics pummeled the crowd. the vocalist was a fucking madman too.

all in all this was one of the most exciting and positive shows i've been to in a long while. good crowd, good venue and great performances. Full of Hell is a band to watch and i really hope to hear more rawer material from Nyodene D soon too.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

martialgodmask

Shards Of Ordinance: The Fallout
27/09/14, The Wagon & Horses, Digbeth Birmingham

The night took a disappointing turn almost as soon as it had begun for me - IFOTS confirmed that Shift, Hal and Am Not hadn't made it due to travel problems beyond their control. Fuck. That was a chunk of why I went. Still, plenty of other stuff on so...

Colossloth - First act on? First act I saw anyway. Didn't do anything for me, uninspired and by-the-numbers.

Ouroborus Collective (Quartet?) - jazz-kraut-frenzy, found it annoying more than anything. The drumming was good, could've perhaps just listened to that for 20mins instead and enjoyed it.

Smell & Quim - the joke was lost on me I think. Maybe it's deeper than it seemed; a mess of "shock-tactics" and try-hardness. Just shit, for me.

Transitional - I'm sure I've seen these guys before, can't remember where but I do remember feeling exactly the same as this time. Boring guitar-driven "post-metal" sound with no great depth to the riffs, drones or programmed drums.

So, nearly called it a night at this point. Wasn't in the best of headspace as it was and the above four acts/groups/whatever had compounded my mood. I'd paid my entry and driven down for it however, and STAB was up next so decided to stick around.

STAB Electronics - fortunately I had stayed and was thorougholy engrossed in STAB's set. Vicious stuttering vocal assault, vile video backdrop etc. Nothing too out of the ordinary in this scene now I guess, but very high quality. Keith casts an ominous presence stalking in front of the stage. Sadly the guy who does Now Wash Your Hands (Nathan?) decided to throw a ping pong lottery ball at Keith's head and some woman felt the need to try and tickle him too. Maybe I'm being a little uptight about it, but why do some people insist on being stupid cunts? At least Keith had someone to direct his closing attack too.

Con-Dom - different set to last time I saw him, just as good this time. Packed into the upstairs room at the wagon, it was loud as fuck and very close quarters. Commanding performance albeit too brief. Very glad I stuck around.

Control - missed the start as again was inside and no apparent stage times pinned up anywhere. Intense and brutal and possibly louder than Con-Dom even. As with Con-Dom just before him and STAB earlier, Control oozed presence. Mantraic lyrics, wave upon wave of layered electronics.

JK Flesh - aah, Justin Broadrick was here! Hadn't seen him to this point, maybe I just missed him around the place earlier but I don't think I'm that blind.... anyway, I'll be quite honest I didn't quite know what to expect or at least it wasn't exactly as I had expected - I think I had confused this and some of his other stuff in my head - packed room and enjoyable set, as it happens. Very beat and bass driven, almost danceable or certainly head-noddable stuff. Mostly laptop with live vocals and feedback, bit of guitar at the end too. Very different to anything else on the lineup but a good enough close to the evening.

So aside from the Unrest guys, there was other stuff listed that I either missed or it didn't happen at all? Dunno. Either way, a bit of a mixed experience for me.

GEWALTMONOPOL

Quote from: martialgodmask on September 28, 2014, 03:28:35 PM
Sadly the guy who does Now Wash Your Hands (Nathan?) decided to throw a ping pong lottery ball at Keith's head and some woman felt the need to try and tickle him too.

Dumb cunts!
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: martialgodmask on September 28, 2014, 03:28:35 PMwhy do some people insist on being stupid cunts?

I find myself asking this very question almost ten times a day.
Shikata ga nai.

GEWALTMONOPOL

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on September 28, 2014, 05:35:04 PM
Quote from: martialgodmask on September 28, 2014, 03:28:35 PMwhy do some people insist on being stupid cunts?

Because the fact that someone has spent time and effort into putting together a set and then travelled to a venue in a far away city to set up and eventually play isn't enough for some people. They just HAVE to turn someone elses sweat and tears into a "LOOK AT ME, WHOOHOO HERE I AM, WOW HOW COOL AM I? LOOK, LOOOOOK!!!" to qualify for that coveted slot at the 4 yearly Cerebral Palsy Olympics.

martialgodmask

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on September 28, 2014, 05:35:04 PM

Agreed, but it would be nice to think that at an event supposedly for like-minded people you could briefly step away from the cuntishness of the outside world. What misguided ideals I have, ha!

Quote from: GEWALTMONOPOL on September 28, 2014, 05:48:10 PMBecause the fact that someone has spent time and effort into putting together a set and then travelled to a venue in a far away city to set up and eventually play isn't enough for some people.

True.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's fun parade, but if you must be a twat, fuck off and do it somewhere else.

GEWALTMONOPOL

Nathan is a well know court jester at gigs and people are long tired of his shit. He's not an arsehole so a stern word or a clip round the ears normally sorts him out. What the cunts problem is I don't know.

I'm glad to hear that STAB defended the Unrest colours well. No surprise that Con-Dom would be good. All in all your report reflect what I expected.

fin de siècle

TOWER TRANSMISSIONS IV 26.-27.09.2014

TOWER TRANSMISSIONS is surely one of the best industrial festivals in Middle Europe. The organizers Eric and Ina have always carefully selected the bands, but this year they excelled themselves with a line-up beyond good and evil. Besides well known bands reliably pleasing the masses (Thorofon, Pain Nail, TNB, IRM), they also invited different projects that are somehow overlooked due to their rareness (Dog Pop, Jarl), respectively new constellations of musicians teaming up only for this event (Nikolas Schreck & John Murphy, Institution D.O.L feat. Magdalena Kiselá, School for Cadavers).

__
DAY 1:

SCHOOL FOR CADAVERS being Jon Ewans and Julian Percy (Last Dominion Lost) inaugurated the first day with a mix of old school synthesizer chaos (from laptop) and violent non-stop guitar noise shredding (reminding a bit of old Sutcliffe Jugend). A good start!

JARL started out with his typical long dark brooding drones becoming quite brutal and noisy in the second half, unusual for Jarl, but surprisingly good.

With PAIN NAIL being more rhythmic and loud the festival atmosphere was suddenly vividly present. Repetitive loops and live noise scratching with highly beautiful moments in the second track, Mikko creating subtle melodies by softly caressing an iron ring with his contact microphone. Some feedback action as a peak ended the 30/35 minutes set, which was the perfect length for it. Overall solid. Somehow I expected more creativity from a band being around for such a long time - with a composition simply based on one loop, each song ended as it began, and the whole thing seemed too easy and predictable for me. Nevertheless good.

NORDVAGR was just drone, which I personally cannot handle. So I spent my time outside chatting, which wasn`t a bad thing since the schedule was anyway so tight with simply too many bands performing both evenings.

To my surprise KE/HIL performed 90% of new material that night (new album to come soon). Their show last year at EPICUREAN ESCAPISM FESTIVAL in Berlin was already amazingly powerful and perfectly composed, and the new material is as demanding. Their set successively built up nicely with subtle throbbing drones and spoken word vocals as we know and love it (Klaus and Brigant always switching positions). The last track, which reminded me somehow of old VROMB, was a subtle, dark and psychogenic intrusion in our minds and the most gripping moment of their set. Highly excited for the forthcoming album!

THOROFON totally rocked the house, brutally energetic and entertaining, but with 1 hour playtime it was far too long. After 2/3rd for me the show was finished, so I left the hall before getting bored, in order to keep an overwhelmingly positive memory in my heart.

__
DAY 2:

DOP POP started the night with excellent Brigant Moloch posing in the role of a TV show moderator (or rather circus entertainer?) entertaining the willing masses craving for media dispersion, which was probably the most wicked & surprising performance of the whole weekend. Musically more harsh and monotonous than I remembered from their records (which I don`t really know that well actually). In the middle of the set Brigant Moloch and Daniel Hoffmann (THOROFON) sang as a duo and started to distribute tiny Jägermeister bottles among the crowd. The idea of a fake "German Biedermann TV show" supposed to be understood as "a criticism of the ultimate consumption and perfection" with a constantly grinning moderator was perfectly staged. Same as the THOROFON set, it was a bit too long, which nevertheless didn`t weaken my impression. Bliss.

VILGOC, who was actually supposed to be the opener of the evening, but who had technical diffculties in the beginning, finally presented his plain HNW without any modulations – as far as I could guess the sound was exactly the same half an hour later when I came back from outside shortly before the end of his set.

TUNNELS OF AH, who looks a bit like Philip Best, was screaming the same phrases in his microphone over and over with a simple drone as background music. Something to relax inbetween the other strong sets. His backdrop video was only 10 minutes short, so it had to be replayed all the time, which was really annoying. And after pressing the play button for the 4rth time, Ulrich (who took care of the techical things during the event) decided to finally switch off the beamer, which I found very amusing.

I was really looking forward to NIKOLAS SCHRECK & JOHN MURPHY with excitement. With his red buddhist (?) dress NIKOLAS SCHRECK emanated an aura of spiritually and captivated the audience with new interpretations of songs originally sung by women (as I was told). My personal favorite moment obviously was an old RADIO WEREWOLF track conjuring "The journey of death has come to its end (...) Now we are all going west". Beautiful. JOHN MURPHY did a great job managing drums, all background electronics and even vocals at once. Simply great!

IRM presented mostly new material from their latest "Closure..." album, combining the more experimental direction with their typical high pitched synth soundscapes, finally culminating into a wall of noise. Once again IRM manifested themselves as one of the most interesting and creative projects of industrial music.

I am not sure if INSTITUTION D.O.L. is supposed to be some kind of comedy project or some serious matter. However surely something very particular with a sense of "Wiener Schmäh", which we all (non-Austrians) are not able to grasp. Though using the standard power rhythm`n`noise receipies, reminding me of Sektion B, "Barbie B." added involuntary humor with his staccato vocals.

For the THE NEW BLOCKADERS lots of garbage was brought up to the stage, and they did a good job destroying it and eventually throwing it all in the cement mixer, which was standing in the middle of the stage. The backing track gave the realm of chaos a bit of a structure, and after a while it became more and more brutal. Nothing new, but solid, great entertainment.

LUMBAR PUNCTURE ended the festival with solid dark ambient industrial, known from labels like Malignant or Cyclic Law.

FreakAnimalFinland

Photos of day #1 here: http://special-interests-magazine.tumblr.com/

SCHOOL FOR CADAVERS didn't do so much for me. Maybe hectic arrival from delayed travel.. Lap-top processing of vocals, too quiet guitar noise in mix. Toy of the day was monotron kind of synth. Almost everybody used it, heh..

I associate most of JARL too loops. This had much more free flowing feel to it and noisier. Good!

PAIN NAIL. Some problems with ground-hum of cables and whatever was solved quick. Quiet sound on stage wasn't too good for personal mood of playing, but it was mainly about not taking care of monitors early enough. Will have to listen recording, but went as planned.

NORDVARGR set I wouldn't say was "just drone". Although I couldn't catch entire set due just finishing the gig etc. But moments I heard, had surprisingly many industrial elements. Some subtle rhythm elements and quite suffocating and cruel sounds. Also he appeared to generate sounds on stage too. Electronics etc. Which made it more "real", more concrete live gig and not just playback.

New stuff of KE/HIL kills! Better than previous? Well, have to judge it without massive bass-loaded sound of the venue. Very very promising. Good vocals, good sounds. Show ended a little weird. One member apparently wanting to play a bit more, other not. And people waiting whether it was finished or not?

THOROFON was good. Very long set, but good. In end also more dancier stuff came with melodic female vocals. I doubt that was very "old school set" part, but certainly vast majority of their set was Maximum Punishment Solutions kind of sharp and energy filled heavy electronics. Good effects on vocals. Nice trio formation with old analogue synths involved in making sound - although I guess most stuff came from laptop anyways? I watched entire set without problems.

Will upload photos of day #2 and more comments later on...
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

JK-blodrode

saw the debut show of Soft Amour from denmark yesterday. Really atmospheric and dynamic performance with a great ear for details and texture. If anyone is into slightly distorted ambient techno, this new project is highly recommended. first tape availbale now