Live show reports / comments

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, July 25, 2011, 09:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heretogo

Quote from: Markkula on November 08, 2011, 09:44:04 PM
Thats not the saturday set I was talking about..   Please post a link if there is any? I would love to experience the girl on girl coughing again!

Ah sorry, I guess that's not online, just yet anyway (the above track is probably the Friday set). But girl on girl coughing does sound kinda sexy, when you put it that way!

Ashley Choke

Just returned home from Trauma Fest. Think I've had enough bearded desperate digital delay yelling and gritty visuals for a lifetime. And what the fuck is up with Sweden and Mexican wrestling masks?

Damien Dubrovnik played an absolutely amazing set, turning the sound system problems that more or less plagued all acts on stage into their advantage. Really intense ending. DD would be my pick for best contemporary PE/Industrial live act. Last couple of shows has been truly impressive

Enema Syringe delivered an totally unique and bizarre set, never have I seen so many knobs under almost total control

The lofi harsh noise of me and Tobais couldn't have been more out of place. But playing felt really good and the sheer fun of everybody trying to avoid eye contact and having to tell their honest opinion afterwards was well worth the trip alone

Anatomit must be the contender for most over the top retarded debut ever. Can't say I found the sound very interesting. But the youthful enthusiasm and complete cluelessness sure was charming.

A more simple Stage/PA setup would have done the whole fest and a lot of the performers good. Much respect to Richard and the other organisers for putting so much effort into the weekend

ARKHE

Unfortunately, I missed the Friday evening of the Trauma festival - seems like the party was bigger & better then, whereas Saturday felt a bit... hung over? Also, it's weird that the first day was longer & had more sets than the second; weird way to prioritize. Anyway, it was a good venue, though the sound equipment didn't really stand up to the test. Two scenes (or rather, two rooms, one big and one small - sound was better in the small one). First act I saw was METEK, who seemed to be doing some kind of parody of power electronics, waving his arms and howling with a goofy voice. Didn't seem like he was taking himself seriously. Played for far too long.

Was more fun to watch Klaus, Lukas & T.R. set up their rock&roll set. Klaus = mix of Jimi Hendrix & Masonna; explosive guitar noise with sparse drum abuse by Lukas (the young guy I think is JACKMAN) and straight-forward feedback from TR Kirstein. When I saw the drums I was hoping for some noisecore, but alas... it was good anyway, esp. when the guitar started flying around, strings ripped off etc. A friend of mine, not into noise, came up to me afterwards asking "...what was that?". My reply: modern rock.

Back to the small room, time for KHMER NOIR. Aggressive, abrasive power electronics; black boots, fists in the air, communist revolution, angry beard guy 1 flying into the audience, angry beard guy 2's mic unfortunately not working properly. A brutality that was much needed this night that in the end became kind of nerdy and nice.

The headliner for me that night was TREPANERINGSRITUALEN (angry beard guy 3), which I was very much looking forward to. Hindered by a serious amount of sound issues (soundcheck floated into real performance, first song had to be restarted a few times), some of the atmosphere and attack was lacking once the show actually got rolling. But hell, this was the highlight of the evening. Visceral vocal attack, occult subjects (judgment - crucifixion - cremation - resurrection), heavy rhythmic industrial (with screamed vocals almost approaching industrial metal). Eucharist in piss and shit. Very professional set-up as well, this guy knows what he's doing.

Last but not least was ENEMA SYRINGE's set. Also very rhythmic, but this time the audience was dancing. Pretty fun, with aggressive vocals about noisy neighbors with bad music taste, disgusting pets etc. Party industrial, esp compared to Trepaneringsritualen.

A good night, though it felt a bit anti-climactic (save more bands for second evening next time, ok?). Hopefully this will become a recurring event, with even bigger, heavier & more interesting names.

ConcreteMascara

Tesco USA 10th Anniv. show 11-11-11 to 11-12-11.

Friday night:
FFH + Lussuria - pretty good but not really memorable. I do like FFH's strained, almost hoarse sounding vocals but the sounds here were not able to penetrate the alcoholic fog in my brain. This seemed more suited for a smaller stage because there FFH and Lussuria didn't really have the presence of the later bands.

Kama Rupa - if I saw this performance I don't remember it at all

Omei - Originally I was bummed that Chris wouldn't be playing as Sickness but that was before I heard the sounds. Never have I witnessed such tension and aggression pared with non-harsh music. The vibes were just total depression and anger. I think Mr. Sickness was pacing back and forth on the stage at some point but I can't really remember, either way such a large stage seemed too small to contain him. From here on out the night was excellent.

Pharmakon - I've seen Pharmakon about 6 times now? This was easily the best performance. The synths were much sharper and bass heavy, reminiscent of German PE. And as usual the vocals were top-notch. Shrieks that could peel the paint from the wall. People started to get violent and shove each other towards the front which was totally appropriate I though. I was actually hoping for a little more violence. Towards the end she came out into the crowd to finish the set. Everything was perfectly timed and well constructed, it was nice to hear real songs with direction.

my friends and I rushed down the street when Pharmakon ended to get a few drinks before Anenzephalia played. Thankfully we got back to the venue just as Anenzephalia started:

Anenzephalia - the first time I've seen any of the Tesco big names live, I was extremely excited for this. Awesome backing videos of assorted imagery (dead bodies, radio towers, industrial ruin, dead animals) all projected in a very disorienting fashion when combined with the venue lighting. Extremely clear and full sound, making full use of the venue PA. What I liked most was that B. Moloch and W. Herich took turns handling vocal duty. I don't remember what songs specifically were played but it sort of irrelevant. the performance was a total sensory experience. My only complaint was they didn't play Final Pulse but that's neither here nor there.

The ride home my friends and I blasted Ke/Hil's Hellstation to get excited for Saturday, which I will write about later today. 
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Nyodene D

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on November 14, 2011, 04:51:34 PM
Tesco USA 10th Anniv. show 11-11-11 to 11-12-11.

Friday night:
FFH + Lussuria - pretty good but not really memorable. I do like FFH's strained, almost hoarse sounding vocals but the sounds here were not able to penetrate the alcoholic fog in my brain. This seemed more suited for a smaller stage because there FFH and Lussuria didn't really have the presence of the later bands.

Kama Rupa - if I saw this performance I don't remember it at all

Omei - Originally I was bummed that Chris wouldn't be playing as Sickness but that was before I heard the sounds. Never have I witnessed such tension and aggression pared with non-harsh music. The vibes were just total depression and anger. I think Mr. Sickness was pacing back and forth on the stage at some point but I can't really remember, either way such a large stage seemed too small to contain him. From here on out the night was excellent.

Pharmakon - I've seen Pharmakon about 6 times now? This was easily the best performance. The synths were much sharper and bass heavy, reminiscent of German PE. And as usual the vocals were top-notch. Shrieks that could peel the paint from the wall. People started to get violent and shove each other towards the front which was totally appropriate I though. I was actually hoping for a little more violence. Towards the end she came out into the crowd to finish the set. Everything was perfectly timed and well constructed, it was nice to hear real songs with direction.

my friends and I rushed down the street when Pharmakon ended to get a few drinks before Anenzephalia played. Thankfully we got back to the venue just as Anenzephalia started:

Anenzephalia - the first time I've seen any of the Tesco big names live, I was extremely excited for this. Awesome backing videos of assorted imagery (dead bodies, radio towers, industrial ruin, dead animals) all projected in a very disorienting fashion when combined with the venue lighting. Extremely clear and full sound, making full use of the venue PA. What I liked most was that B. Moloch and W. Herich took turns handling vocal duty. I don't remember what songs specifically were played but it sort of irrelevant. the performance was a total sensory experience. My only complaint was they didn't play Final Pulse but that's neither here nor there.

The ride home my friends and I blasted Ke/Hil's Hellstation to get excited for Saturday, which I will write about later today. 

Was a blast running into you... you kept talking about hitting bars after the show though, which I don't know if you were in any condition to do, haha..

- FFH + Lussuria - really cool to catch these acts live. I agree with Frank's assessment and could add that the vocals were mixed to high (they pushed the other stuff out of the mix...).  Really would have loved more drone from Lussuria's end, but I guess they decided during soundcheck to go with overall harsh.

- Omei - also legendary, was really excited.  To be honest, I didn't care for the part with the vocal loops (again, the looped screams were a bit too loud in the mix), but once he spent the last 20 mins of the set doing some nasty synthy death industrial, i can say that I really enjoyed his set.

- Kama Rupa - excellent ritual industrial set.  synths, oscillators, auto-harp and e-bow with some percussion loops and candle-light for the first part of the set.  Then Sean from Cult of Youth started playing trumpet through effects and it was like hearing the horns of the apocalypse.  Seriously hazy apocalyptic ritual goodness... wish they'd play more often.

- Pharmakon - absolutely crushing.  my first time seeing her.  Margaret needs to put out a full-length already, containing mostly material from this set.

- Anenzephalia - really awesome, like frank said.  Klaus and Moloch trading vocals and laying down excellent heavy electronics.  played a lot of new material from the upcoming full-length CD, some stuff from Noehaem and Final Pulse Extension ("this is where the dream dies!")

really excellent night, wish i got to stick around for philly the next day.  worth the 14-hour round trip.

ConcreteMascara

Saturday night:

Saturday was a mess before I ever made it to the show. Do to my own fuck up my friends and I went to the wrong venue first, then drove around aimlessly finally getting there after the first (2?) acts had played.

Jonathan Canady - dark synth music to scenes from All the Colours of the Dark with Edwige Fenech. This could have been great but instead it was just monotonous and repetitive. Also, this could have been Plotkin's set but I couldn't tell. Needless to say I got a drink.

Yellow Tears - one of the most disorienting and unsettling performances I've ever seen. The vocals and samples were so mixed up that I couldn't tell what was going on or who if anyone was talking. There were videos, cowboy hats and overall nauseating vibes. I had to sit down towards the end of this because my head was absolutely spinning.

Ke/Hil - similar to Anenzephalia (not surprising) but less confrontational and more brooding. The videos were great especially at the end when they played Adrenalin. The set started with my 3 favorite songs: Black Snow, Grey Savior and Ephedrin. The sound was massive and the bass could be felt heavy in your chest. Teutonic destruction!

I felt like Friday was a much more solid line-up/event overall but Ke/Hil and Yellow Tears were both exceptional. I'd love to watch some video recordings of the show as there was often so much going on the details just blurred. Maybe the booze had a part in that? hehe. Over all an excellent weekend with which I'm still recovering from.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

martialgodmask

Tues 15/11/11 - Vomir + Iron Fist Of The Sun + Safe + Now Wash Your Hands
Nottingham, Chameleon Arts Cafe

First of all, paying £3.00 for a small glass of cola poured from a Sainsburys own brand bottle in front of your very eyes is a sham, albeit one I should've stood up to at the time. Hindsight.... Anyway, never been to the venue before, it's a little tucked away but as far as venues go it was small but fine.

Now Wash Your Hands - didn't like it. Gimmicky "P.E." about personal hygiene, naff banter between songs and a glittery costume. I don't think he is taking the piss with it, but he comes across like it's all a bit of a joke. According to what I've just read, he is an OCD sufferer for which I sympathise but this project isn't for me and I walked away during the third song.

Safe - this was more like it. Very enjoyable set, some nice heavy waves of noise for what...around 20mins or so? Never heard them before so was good surprise for first interaction. One single composition for the whole set I think, not a lot going on "performance" wise but enough texture in the sound and enough volume that this was enough.

Iron Fist Of The Sun - shamefully, this was the first time I'd ever gotten to see Lee perform, despite working with him in the past. Another 20min-ish set (or so it seemed) and further evidence of Lee/IFOTS as a new leading light for this country. Really enjoyed the set - really tight, empassioned and dark, some fucking great synth sounds in the live setting and vocals perfect.

Vomir - I met Romain before the gig properly started and can honestly say he is a truly nice guy. Like HNW or not, there is no pretense with this guy! Anyway.... gig room wasn't particularly huge but all of a sudden the area direct in front of stage in front of me (I was stood centre stage around middle way back from stage) filled up with people sitting/lying etc. Abrupt beginning, abrupt ending. As expected and as desired. I took up the option of the black bag and can certainly vouch it promotes a very different experience to just standing watching. I think the set was another 20-25mins? and having not moved for the duration my feet felt like they were beginning to burn and my lower legs felt numb. If you can really get into the black bag thing, I think the psychological effects of depravation are very interesting. Thoroughly enjoyable, marred only by what was probably a well-intended heckle of sorts from Now Wash Your Hands which came across as dumb and disrespectful.

So for the most part, great. Alas, I need to go to more gigs.

ARKHE

I demand a report on GOVERNMENT ALPHA + TRERIKSRÖSET in Copenhagen yesterday. Got delayed so I couldn't attend, goddamnit.

Ashley Choke

GA was over the top. Rare display of modern day gadgets being put to good use. The analog fascist in me decided that it's okay for Japs to use fancy digital gear since since hifi is a part of their cultural heritage haha. Really really good show

Treriksrøset was solid. Lagged the last 10% to be all out excellent but still massive and extremely harsh. Good night

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: fin de siècle on November 28, 2011, 11:04:22 PM

GERECHTIGKEITS LIGA it was simply chaotic, disharmonic, bad song-writing, sorry ... to me a little misunderstanding of "creativity".

I had the same impressions when they were performing in Wroclaw Industrial Festival in 2009.

xdementia

Review of Horror Sounds Existence Establishment Halloween Event in the local paper:

QuoteIn a festive tribute to Halloween last Thursday night, five noisicians broadly associated with the death-industrial subgenre gathered at Yes.Oui.Si., "Boston's multi-sensory exhibition space," to perform alternate soundtracks for a series of classic and not-so-classic scary movies projected onto the gallery's wall in lurid color. Xiphoid Dementia imbued Burial Ground (1981), an inane Italian production chock-full of morbid monks and shambolic zombies teeming with maggots — not to mention the antics of a sexually precocious child played by an obviously adult dwarf — with a sense of gravitas it never should have enjoyed. Dementia's pounding, energetic score — far superior, if I recall, to the film's original — provided aural cues essential to the manifestation of cinematic terror.

Zerfallt's sound designs on Alucarda (1978), a stately, atmospheric masterpiece of Mexican cinema, inverted the previous set by stripping the film of its dignity with absurd, repetitive squealing. As the rain turned to snow outside, the Vomit Arsonist played to an increasingly wet, cold, and febrile audience with Titicut Follies, vérité master documentarian Frederick Wiseman's 1967 stark black-and-white visit to Bridgewater State Prison for the Criminally Insane. Meanwhile, Deftly-D, the night's VJ, stalked back and forth clad in a chrome skull mask and a transparent poncho over his hairy torso.

The absurd atmosphere reached its zenith when Xela, a UK native who's taken up residence in Malden, showed Things (1989), surely one of the worst movies all time, shot on VHS cassette. Xela's set, the night's highlight, made the most of the film's inept cinematography by forging a visual/aural dissonance with his masterful sonic manipulation — as his set climaxed, a young woman in the audience fainted and her friends frantically dragged her from the dingy basement. Before onlookers could catch their breath, headliner Reviver hammered the space with a shrill, buzzing onslaught, and a clip of thriller Don't Look Now (1973) flickered on the gallery wall, closing out the evening. It was the stuff nightmares are made of.

Didn't get as many photos/videos as usual but there are some here.

P-K

bimfest,.....2 things that matter on this board:

The Anti Group .....awesome combo of scapes (style Iso-Erotic Callibrations) and visuals ......solid act.

Clock DVA .....legendary, cold, hypnotic, ....and one of the most sinister voices ever that didn't age at all. stripped down & extended versions of Soundmirror and The Hacker without 'raping' the originals. top class......

Järtecknet

Mayhem, Copenhagen 2011-12-16

Body League did their first show. It didn´t really appeal to me. Synth and amplified cymbals. Perhaps it will grow stronger with time.

Witnessed Forza Albino for the second time at Mayhem. Was totally caught off guard the first time. That was probably the best show this year. I didn´t even notice the burning smell coming out of the PA. Haha! No bullshit just focused and minimalistic PE. No drenched vocals or noisy wall sounds. This time it didn´t reach up to the same intensity but on the other hand I knew what to expect.

Seen Damien Dubrovnik several times this year and this was probably one of the duos best appearances so far. They are steadily getting better and is always executed with a sense of deep honesty and sincerity.

Age Coin did rhythmic industrial with some techno/dance feeling to it. Got some Cabaret Voltaire vibes and I think worked out really good.

ARKHE

The KNTN Annual Noise Festival in Copenhagen the other day... a nice evening, I guess. Arriving a few minutes after the first act started (everything started on time, which was in itself a mind boggling experience no delays whatsoever, 11-12 acts between 20.00-01.00), I didn't get any chance to soundcheck or set up my gear with focus, completely my own fault but still slightly frustrating.

COAL opened, new act (live debut?), two-headed heavy Power Electronics unit. Nice and brutal synth sounds & aggressive, suffocated vocals, but all in all far too stretched out. But confident enough for a first performance.

ASSAULT GUARD next, wielding a modified guitar and some fancy electronic stuff. Noise. Can't really remember the details but it was definitely an improvement from the last time, progression pointing straight upwards.

I think KONDITOQUE was next. Massive synthesizer equipment, spaced out techno sounds, some of it pretty good but not my cup of tea. I went across the street to buy a kebab. Tasted much better than the Malmö equivalent. Outside the venue it sounded like a psychotic video game, enhanced by fireworks crackling all over town (early new year's celebration?).

PUSSYFOOTER was probably the highlight of the evening; incorporating ASHLEY C, ALLEYPISSEr, ASSAULT GUARD + one more guy, they went ballistic with big pieces of metal. Concrete mixer filled with stuff, oil barrels, chains: metal junk fetish as it's called. Nothing new at all but a nice celebration of that oldest industrial tradition. Even throwing firecrackers into the audience and all (forcing me to retaliate with an empty beer bottle, though I'm afraid no-one was hit by it). The venue was filled with smoke and dust afterwards. Invigorating.

CONCUSSIONISTS next, probably, blistering improv-noise with guitars & baritone sax. Very loud and fierce, but approaching my own set I found it harder to focus on others' music.

PUCE MARY was up next with her minimalist heavy industrial approach. Some technical problems I think, but I enjoyed it anyway (also good dynamics in performance, sitting down by the table after the preceding rambunctious rock groups). Vocals a bit low perhaps.

NXFXTX seems to be the outsider in this line-up (besides myself), doing noise in Århus for twenty years. Sharp, drilling sounds from toys and stuff, loud as hell, true to the spirit of noise as being extremely unpleasant (more Japanese than Euro/American in that sense). Not very good though.

So, the "debut" performance as ARKHE, which really doesn't differ that much from what I've been doing as PESTDEMON other than by name. Having little time to rehearse & prepare the weeks before, and no sound check, the gig was bound to fuck up, as it did; got some nice pedal feedback sounds but then the microphone decided not to work, leaving little choice than to cut everything short, just turning up the nobs to eleven and blast everything. Fuck that shit.

Oh wait, CONCUSSIONISTS played after myself. That's why I didn't really notice what they were doing. GIRLSEEKER ended the evening, the only non-industrial band of the event. Cheesy 80's sounding keyboards, a lot of piano, out of tune vocals, awful guitar solos; perverse pop music, very enjoyable in its filthy kitsch. Always nice to end a noise festival with some dance music. The night ended at some bar in the vicinity with cheap beer, dice & a good time w/ the Posh Isolation crew, and the day after with brunch & a visit to the P.I. store (there wasn't any proper merch table at the show so this was the main opportunity to spend some of that hard earned cash from the night before).

edit: unfortunately, LR cancelled his performance.

Matthias

LUST FOR YOUTH/LR/FAMILY UNDERGROUND - GOTHENBURG 13/1

First show at new place in Gothenburg, runned by the fine gentlemen behind the Järtecknet and Ljud & Bild labels. Located in the same building complex as Utmarken, but much smaller. More a traditional rehearsalplace, but perfect for smaller events. Basically two small rooms: one lounge with some places to sit, a bar (filled with Elk Brews of course), records to buy etc, and then the main room with the "stage" placed under a wooden loft. Perfect size, basically like a livingroom. Also important to mention, now access to an proper toilet! Though i sometimes miss shitting in a plastic bag, an actual toilet makes stuff like this so much more convenient...

LR
I've seen Mr. Rahbek live in various constellations, but this was actually the first time under the LR moniker (if you don't count a Puce Mary collaboration in Copenhagen). Starting out with sounds reminiscent of pieces of broken glass being dragged around in a bathtub or something, going on and on and setting a mellow tone for the set. Then finally exploding into heavy electronics with some melodic parts, everything drenched in feedback. Compared to the very cathartic Damien Dubrovnik sets, this felt more restrained and more focused on the actual sounds. Good stuff.

Family Underground
Nice combination of both the more rhythmic stuff they've been doing recently, as well as the guitarbased monotonous parts with singing, going more and more in the psych/garage direction. Best parts was at the end with just a few repetitive chords on the synth being played over and over while the guitar going all out. Hazy music. Overall i think they played for a bit too long and i've seen better FU shows, but they are always good. Be sure to pick up the new album on Turgid Animal.

Lust For Youth
There is few bands i've seen as many times as i've seen LFY, must be close to 20 times at this point. Been fun to follow the band from the very start to see the progression. I think the recent lineup change only made things better, the music has another feeling and it's more dynamic now. A different beat. Show was good, both old songs and a few new songs where played. The new track played second to last will be an instant classic as soon as it get's released, seriously life elevating stuff. With this setting and somewhat new approach, LFY could probably "make it" in the more traditional club environment, i can already now see front rows of girls with wet looks eyefucking these two handsome boys...