Food

Started by halthan, April 23, 2011, 06:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

martialgodmask

I really enjoy cooking, it's only over the last five or so years that I've branched out and learnt new things, tried new foods and experimented with new recipes. In particular I like making a good risotto right now, a few people I've spoken to are put off by the "slaving over it" aspect but I thoroughly enjoy spending the time making it and it's well worth it when it's done. My wife and I are vegetarian, I can't remember what meat tastes like, lots of options and alternatives (by which I don't mean Quorn sausages or whatever). I think whether you're cooking with meat or without, a bit of thought and willingness to explore can reap great rewards.

My food "awakening" is probably in most part due to cutting meat from my diet a number of years ago, it has helped me appreciate different combinations more that perhaps I was too lazy to try before. Maybe it's that and growing up/moving out of home etc.!

tiny_tove

I have been mama's pet for many years and apart from creative use of pasta I started learning how to cook when I moved to UK in 1999, first cooking for myself while my ex-girlfriend was away, then also for her during a quite hectic period of her life. I was just following recipies but none of us died.
When I moved back to Italy I started experimenting with quick and practical recipies, stripped down versions of more complex dishes.
My main fun has always been replacing meat with beans and lentils, and mixing Italian flavours with foreign ones.

An easy example of ultra quick goodie is my own version of Mexican food you may wanna help yourself with boxed mexican kits.

Wertham's Tacos de la Santissima Muerte

Ingredients for 2:
- 6 taco shells (or tortillias or lard free piadina, whatever may be heated and conceal other food)
- taco or tortilla seasoning mix
- taco sauce
- 1 Can of Lentils or alternatively put in water the night before 250g of dried lentils (any size will do)
- capers
- green salad
- 8 small paquino tomatoes (alternatively two big tomatoes)
- green olives (alternatively black, but I think they are less tasty)
- calabrese chili (or any strong chili)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 red onion
- grated parmesan cheese
- any sort of tasty cheese (I personally use Valtellina's cheeses or Sardinian Pecorino)
-olive oil
- oregano

Tools:
- microwave
- nonstick  pan
- 1 terrine
- 1 small bowl

Preparation

1 - chop the tomatoes in pieces, wash/dry and slice the salad, grate the "tasty" cheese in medium size and place everything in the terrine with  the capers.
2 - chop garlic in big pieces, chop the onion in little pieces, chop the olives removing the eventual pits,   and chop the chili.
3 – heat the pan with a teas spoon of oil, moving it around to spreading it
4 – pour the onions in the pan and wait until they get golden
5 – pour the lentils in the pan and wait until they get golden
6 – pout 1 cup of water and half bag of seasoning mix, put the fire at lower level, wait 5 minutes stirring every now and then then put garlic, chili, olives and a bit of oregano, then heat and stir until it is completely dry.
7 – Once done pour everything in the terrine and mix everything adding the grated Parmesan cheese and further oregano. Place a cover on top to preserve the heat.
Don't wash the pan yet, you may need it to warm up again the contents.
8 – Heat two taco shells /tortilla at the time in Microwave (1 min at maximum)
9 – Fill everything with what we have cooked and enjoy.

CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

ARKHE

Perhaps time for a new section in Special Interests, next to the Essentials - favourite recipes!

halthan

Quote from: tiny_tove on April 27, 2011, 10:39:48 AM
I have been mama's pet for many years and apart from creative use of pasta I started learning how to cook when I moved to UK in 1999, first cooking for myself while my ex-girlfriend was away, then also for her during a quite hectic period of her life. I was just following recipies but none of us died.
When I moved back to Italy I started experimenting with quick and practical recipies, stripped down versions of more complex dishes.
My main fun has always been replacing meat with beans and lentils, and mixing Italian flavours with foreign ones.

An easy example of ultra quick goodie is my own version of Mexican food you may wanna help yourself with boxed mexican kits.

Ingredients for 2:
- 6 taco shells (or tortillias or lard free piadina, whatever may be heated and conceal other food)
- taco or tortilla seasoning mix
- taco sauce
- 1 Can of Lentils or alternatively put in water the night before 250g of dried lentils (any size will do)
- capers
- green salad
- 8 small paquino tomatoes (alternatively two big tomatoes)
- green olives (alternatively black, but I think they are less tasty)
- calabrese chili (or any strong chili)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 red onion
- grated parmesan cheese
- any sort of tasty cheese (I personally use Valtellina's cheeses or Sardinian Pecorino)
-olive oil
- oregano

Tools:
- microwave
- nonstick  pan
- 1 terrine
- 1 small bowl

Preparation

1 - chop the tomatoes in pieces, wash/dry and slice the salad, grate the "tasty" cheese in medium size and place everything in the terrine with  the capers.
2 - chop garlic in big pieces, chop the onion in little pieces, chop the olives removing the eventual pits,   and chop the chili.
3 – heat the pan with a teas spoon of oil, moving it around to spreading it
4 – pour the onions in the pan and wait until they get golden
5 – pour the lentils in the pan and wait until they get golden
6 – pout 1 cup of water and half bag of seasoning mix, put the fire at lower level, wait 5 minutes stirring every now and then then put garlic, chili, olives and a bit of oregano, then heat and stir until it is completely dry.
7 – Once done pour everything in the terrine and mix everything adding the grated Parmesan cheese and further oregano. Place a cover on top to preserve the heat.
Don't wash the pan yet, you may need it to warm up again the contents.
8 – Heat two taco shells /tortilla at the time in Microwave (1 min at maximum)
9 – Fill everything with what we have cooked and enjoy.

I MUST try this !
Remember that tofuchilicoconutmilkwhatever I served for you ?
I´ll make a English translation of the recipe, in a couple of days

tiny_tove

that was hot stuff! please do.

halthan

Here we go

splash of oil
1 tablespoon curry powder
2 onions
3-4 boiled potatoes
1 brick of tofu (about 400-500 grams)
1 can coconut milk
salt
rosemary
1 tablespoon soy
SHITLOADS of fresh chili  ( I used the Lemon  Drop and Starfishiä)
dollop of natural yogurt (but not mandatory)

Pour oil in skillet over medium heat and Fry curry powder carefully.
  Add in chopped chilli, onion and chopped potatoes and tofucubes.
Add coconut milk and spices.Simer over low heat,
until the onions are tender. Finally, yogurt, if you feel like it.
Serve with rice.

A.D.

I wish I had more time to explore some new recipes... also need a bigger kitchen and more space to store spices and other condiments! Both of my parents are pretty damn good cooks, especially my mother who grew up cooking for her family at a young age in Malaysia, but has also adapted to a lot of "Western" cooking. Would like to learn some of the recipes she uses one day.

My girlfriend is vegetarian, so much of what I eat/cook nowadays is vegetarian. Quite enjoy the challenge of adapting recipes to suit her. Although we also have a lot of friends who are vegan, who can't eat gluten, who have particular allergies, etc., so cooking up a big feast for our friends is sometimes a challenge. I'm allergic to all nuts, which presents a big problem when eating particular cuisines like Thai and Indian. I'd probably struggle to go 100% vego, given my love for Japanese food... and smelly cheese.

Haven't eaten anything exceptionally unusual, except for raw horse a couple of times.

Nyodene D

for your veg. girlfriend, make "chicken" parmesan using mashed chick peas or quinoa patties.

Combine 2 cups of cooked quinoa or mashed drained chickpeas with diced onion, mushroom, oregano, basil, a little baking soda and some breadcrumbs and olive oil.  mix it all evenly until it becomes a kind of doughy paste (a bit like making falafel fresh, except without the celery salt and cumin....)

Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and lay the patties (should make 6-8) evenly spread out.  Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown at 350 deg, flipping once about 20-30 mins in.

Top with shredded cheeses (mozzerella, parmesan, asiago, etc) and a nice fresh chunky tomato sauce. 

halthan

Just made this yesterday, such a delicacy !
Next time I`ll just have to use more chili (I had now 3 Lemon Drops & 2 Aji Cristals)

tiny_tove

This week I will introduce you to my own take of Swiss Roestli.
Good you liked that. Bring on the chili!!!

halthan

Just improvised yesteday

1 pack of soysausages
1 onion
250 g fresh mushrooms
1 bell pepper
1 canned tomatoes
4 garlig cloves
5 fresh chilis (this time Starfish)
whatever spices you got in clo
Fry all ingridients in wok-pan,except tomatoes and chili
Add chili, when sausages are golden brown
Add tomatoes and spices and let the fucker stir about 20 min
Voila

Nyodene D

what would you serve this over? rice or just eaten alone?

halthan

Quote from: Nyodene D on May 08, 2011, 12:15:56 AM
what would you serve this over? rice or just eaten alone?
I had it with cous-cous, but anything goes

A.D.

Quote from: Nyodene D on April 27, 2011, 06:11:04 PM
for your veg. girlfriend, make "chicken" parmesan using mashed chick peas or quinoa patties.
Cheers for the recipe! Will give it a shot sometime soon once I've picked up the ingredients. It's not often I get around to making patties of any sort, but for all its simplicity I really enjoy eating D-I-Y hamburgers (or vegie burgers, for that matter).

Nyodene D

made a pretty bomb-ass mild curry today.

3 large sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed and boiled until soft (drain off water)
1 onion
1 poblano pepper (or whatever/ however many chilies you want to use)
6 or so large mushrooms
shredded cilantro (about a handful)
4 cloves garlic
1 can coconut milk (low-fat is nice)
1 can diced tomatoes
Curry powder
Garam Masala powder
salt, pepper
Brown sugar
vegetable oil

1) Peel, dice and boil the potatoes, when soft, drain the pot, transfer potatoes to wok, mash and set aside.

2) In a cast-iron skillet or frying pan, sautee onions, garlic, chilies, cilantro and mushrooms in oil (or melted butter) until translucent.

3) Over medium heat, add the vegetables to the wok and mix into the mashed sweet potatoes. 

4) Add can of diced tomatoes (not drained) and coconut milk and blend evenly into the vegetables. 

5) stir in curry powder, garam masala, brown sugar (about 1-2 tablespoons of each) and then salt and pepper to taste, let come to a boil.

6) Add Sriracha chili garlic sauce, salt, pepper, diced green onion to taste.  It should have a bit of kick, but ultimately be sweeter (garam masala, sweet potatoes, etc).  Serve over rice and with naan bread.  makes about 4-6 servings and is vegan (use oil instead of butter though)....