Special Interest
October 25, 2021, 07:17:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Room treatment for home listening  (Read 1118 times)
accidental
moderate user

« on: August 01, 2021, 03:06:25 PM »

I know there are a million threads on different forums about this. So feel free to delete this thread if desired.

What's your experience with "professionally" made acoustic panels (absortion/diffusion) for home listening? Versus home made solutions with different fabrics and furniture? I'm thinking about ordering from GIK Acoustics but it can get really expensive if you're in need of a lot. I've never used factory made stuff before.

My current listening room has turned out to be the biggest challenge ever. Room dimension & room planning along with different wall(floor/ceiling) materials has made this a nightmare compared to all my previous places (plenty of them). It's not even close. Coming from two old apartments with good room dimensions, solid old wooden walls and heavy wood doors. Getting good sound has not been a problem with just some shelves and a couple of curtains.

The problem regardless of speaker placement is that the music is lacking "sound preassure" (not sure how to describe it in english). For rockish stuff and noise this is a nightmare, for jazz or such it's less of a problem though still not good.
Zeno Marx
Overkill user

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 11:08:47 PM »

Plants might help a little.  Adds humidity to the air, so it can help with any static issues as well.  They used to sell foam cylinders you would hang from your ceiling to absorb sound, but they were an eyesore and not practical in smaller spaces.  Have you searched the steve hoffman forums?  That might be a good place to consult.

"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.
accidental
moderate user

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 09:23:52 AM »

Thanks for the reply. I'm aware of plants but they would not be practical in this room. And i think i need other solutions to deal with these problems. I don't care if the room looks like shit as long as it sounds good. I've not searched the Hoffman forum, but i'll have a look (im not registered). I'll go ahead and give GIK a try. Their absorption panels look standard. But i don't know what to expect of their diffusion panels and such.

Zeno Marx
Overkill user

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 10:31:54 PM »

Harbor Freight has cheap foam panels you could cut, and possibly adapt, into acoustic ceiling baffles.  You could also interlock them into cylinders and shapes.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-94635.html

https://www.polyesteracousticpanels.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/acoustic-baffles.jpg

Another idea might be what they use in offices for sound absorption.  Or make your own foldable room divider(s) with fabric rather than hard surfaces.

https://www.standupdeskstore.com/refocus-acoustic-room-dividers

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oriental-Furniture-6-ft-Grey-Double-Cross-6-Panel-Room-Divider-DCSP-6P-Grey/303059390

"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.
accidental
moderate user

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 09:01:51 AM »

Some great advice. I've already been looking at similar room dividers for sound absorption. I'll get info on how they are constructed compared to GIK and choose what i think might be the best.

Those foam panels was something i had not thought about! I can't make a lot of holes in the ceiling when attaching a panel, so those could be a great option in case i can not mount heavier panels. Thanks!
FreakAnimalFinland
Administrator
Overkill user

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 08:44:09 AM »

I have never felt the need of acoustic panels, except in reh place. Vast difference of concrete walls and ceiling, vs. "padded" with acoustic boards was so huge, and made it clear how much help for good sound this was. Mainly for the drums. Formerly everything being hard echo bouncing from everywhere, and then becoming vastly better.
As for home listening, I generally do not have any empty space anywhere, where any sort of acoustic panels could be placed, nor I have noticed any need for them.

Most of the time, when I hear people talk about one specific element, like what type of needle they have in turntable, what speakers they have, what format they prefer in terms of sound quality... It often seems quite odd discussion when very few of small things mean that much if rest is "whatever". Like seeing lately tons of photos of people listening harsh noise with little tape recorders with built in speakers. People listening vinyl on turntable with same needle for decades, and perhaps complaining sound of vinyl "these days".. Or placement of speakers, one somewhere below the sofa, other on top of book shelves.. hah..   It's all "been there, done that" -category for me. When the stereosystem itself is good enough, there is vast improvement, but I can't see myself starting to make "room treatment", sitting on armchair, surrounded by acoustic panels in perfect angle to speakers. I have always concluded, that I don't think artists who made it, or situation where band performed, requires such thing. It may be even counter productive.

For room treatment of home listening, my choice is more books, more records. No hard surfaces on sight, just cluttered stuff.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net
accidental
moderate user

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 08:49:43 PM »

As I think I mentioned, this has never been an issue previous. Previous rooms had the treatment of “stuff” (records, books etc) and sound has always been good enough. Current room is partly filled with stuff but I believe acoustic treatment might improve it. But I don’t expect acoustic treatment to fix the problem altogether.

It’s a small room, worst dimensions, mix of concrete and hollow dry wall. Low ceiling etc. Poor low end. Pushing speakers towards the wall improve the low end, but not enough. It’s a dedicated listening room and I have the possibility of decorating it as I like with the ceiling being the exception.

Has anyone ever tried hanging panels from the ceiling (1,8kg or 3,6kg, 60x60 or 60x120) with Velcro Strips(looking at Command Velcro Strips)? I’ve never used Velcro Strips… I can’t put screws or make holes in the ceiling and it’s not strong enough for heavier weights. They can hold 5+kg on a wall but a ceiling is a different story...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: