SPECIAL INTERESTS #5 (february 2011)

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, February 07, 2011, 12:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew McIntosh

First impression feedback -

A tad disappointed in the lack of glossy cover. The black and white card stock does give it a "fanzine" feel, though. Cover and inner sleeve art is excellent; would love to have a book of this artist's work if such a thing is available. Both the cover graphic and "Rama With The Axe" are beautiful.

Infirmary interview raised my eyebrows. Very interesting but not sure how to accept it - strong hints of "Satanic panic" but coming from his own personal experiences, who knows? Makes me want to listen to his sounds, that's for sure; hope they meet expectations.

Very pleased to read about Bryan Lewis Saunders. This is one of the things I look for in a magazine like this; something different and interesting. His portraits look nice too.

Autarkeia raises a few issues about album vs download that I don't want to get into again, but just to say, I personally think a lot of the ideas he raises are redundant. No disrespect intended and no desire to get him to change his mind, just could not disagree more.

Ah shit, I made a typo on my ad. Classy. Sorry, people.

Really appreciate the expanded review section. It's pretty much at just the right length now; any more would be too much, I think. Really must get that Will Over Matter/Bizarre Uproar album.
Shikata ga nai.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on February 22, 2011, 03:46:13 AM
Ah shit, I made a typo on my ad. Classy. Sorry, people.

Yeah, and I made typo with your name! haha..
Well, I guess saying things like "Inifrmary" in contents list is tolerable.. better than cover.

I made test prints with glossy cover, and due the artwork, I decided to go for offset matte cover. In fact, I think it was more expensive to do that than would have been the "usual" glossy digitally printed cover.  In future, it will depend on type of artwork.

I'm sure Autarkeia and Infirmary are the two who will raise the most eyebrows!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

MT

I have to say the cover material was perfect for the cover art. Somehow they went hand in hand, the picture just had to feel a bit harsher against your hands than slidy gloss picture.

RG

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on February 12, 2011, 02:34:22 AM
A few years down the track I look forward to a special Special release that features the artwork from all previous issues. The standard has been very high since the first edition.

Indeed! Or even just a regular issue devoted to mostly art (new art, not a compilation of past stuff). As you said the quality has been very high, particularly the last two issues, and it would be great to see a whole issue, front to back, filled with this weird & wonderful stuff.

tiny_tove

new issue really nice. con-dom and pacific interviews are worth the purchase, although also the rest is perfect
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Today I received this mag and I read it from cover to cover in two hours. One complaint - it should be 100 pages not 50 :)

Levas

Looking excellent! somehow that rougher feeling of the zine is in a way better than glossy cover etc. I believe the information in there is top notch though had time just to go through a couple of questions with Autarkeia and yes. It really is the interview that "raised the eyebrows" : )

Arvo

I've got all of the issues now and even though I haven't read the Hospital/Tape/Essentials portions yet, I'd say that #5 is the best so far.   

Yama-akago interview was great, I'm always interested in people that were discovered by the noise genre before they discovered the noise genre.   

As for Infirmary, I've hung out with Rick extensively a few times, he is a very caring and honest person.  I'm glad to see that he's back in action.  The LP on SNSE is great but my favorite thing by Infirmary is a self-titled, self-released c40 cassette.  It's not on discogs, and somebody should really reissue it on vinyl. 

SafeWord

Regarding the opening comments in Issue #5 regarding broken english. I actually quite like the broken english and believe it adds a certain literary aesthetic. Hell I am glad and lucky the  whole zine is in English. I also find it keeps me reminded this zine is a colloborative effort that gets produced out of Finland. At the end of the day, despite the broken english I can still understand all texts and points made.

moozz

Quote from: SafeWord on May 13, 2011, 02:11:38 PM
Regarding the opening comments in Issue #5 regarding broken english. I actually quite like the broken english and believe it adds a certain literary aesthetic. Hell I am glad and lucky the  whole zine is in English. I also find it keeps me reminded this zine is a colloborative effort that gets produced out of Finland. At the end of the day, despite the broken english I can still understand all texts and points made.
I guess you could twist the title of one of the latest releases by Mikko to explain this: Beauty of Grammatical Imperfection.

ARKHE

The editor's note made a good point as to why the language should remain uncorrected, the grammar at least (misspelled words & typos = other deal, much much more annoying to read and not hard to correct). The YAMA-AKAGO interview though was in it's own league, language-wise... at times I couldn't follow the answer at all. But that was appreciated anyway. Also her perspective was refreshing, distant from the angry PE/industrial men of the Western world. I appreciate that kind of dynamics, in featuring artists with different mindsets and attitudes. Don't know why I didn't pick this issue up until now...

Infirmary

QuoteInfirmary interview raised my eyebrows. Very interesting but not sure how to accept it - strong hints of "Satanic panic" but coming from his own personal experiences, who knows? Makes me want to listen to his sounds, that's for sure; hope they meet expectations.

I just read your comment. At the time of the interview I was mentally ill (nearly suicidal) and was hallucinating on an anti-psychotic called Seraquil actually believing that angels were floating around in my room because I was trying to contact them and thought it was a response till I realized that everybody hallucinates on seraguil (it wasn't prescribed to me I just tried it out to answer the interview).
  My girlfriend at the time had physically attacked me after convincing me she was ectopically pregnant right before she went to the mental ward and slashing her wrists on top of already old scars. Loving her still, this behavoir becoming a frequent event and I came down with heavy schizo-affective symptoms and a state of unreality caused by severe circumstances.
   Having hallucinated on psychedelic drugs enough to know what's real and what's not + having seen abnormal (paranormal) things from a very young age that were very obviously not hallucinations. It could have very well developed into a very serious form of schizophrenia and state of unreality/disassociative disorder had I not made it to the proper neuro-psychiatrists, because my mind shut down completely it seemed from stress last fall and I started writing a bunch of odd stuff. An ability I didn't have before, but now I can do it at will.   
  At the time of the interview it was total Satanic panic but when I learned the basics of theology from my physicist friend and some books. I was finally able to write off most of the religious poison that had been fed to me in a cult-like sect. of Christianity that I was a member of during junior high school. We were not allowed to have TV's or non-religious music except on cassettes given by the church. The threat of seven demons was always being yelled at us from the pulpit should we leave the church, otherwise known as the fold. We were not allowed to date. I was excommunicated after my behavoir of sneaking out to party had become well-known. All that is old news to me, but did lodge as stressors in my mind.
  Three  weeks ago I had five attacks in seven days that felt like 20-40 minute attempts at possession by unseen entities that tried to make me kill myself with a knife and in the early stages of these attacks they would surface from my subconscious to my mind as a spirit-cobra or serpent. If you've ever felt like you can communicate without talking, this was what was coming at me. Something that could speak without words.. 
  Recently, I started reading a book on psychic self-defense and have been doing very well with no recent problems. There is a thin line between the mystic and the lunatic. The mystic can become a lunatic if the aura is not kept strong, but it is definitely way more complex than that.
    Right now I'm undergoing EMDR regression therapy and have to relive the most severe paranormal events that have happened. Now I face the invisible forces with a deeper understanding and am constantly learning.
  What I have is a lifelong dilemna that I first wrote off as unreality or mental illness (turned out to be just complex ptsd). Now I see it as a gift. When psychology could go no further, it was obscure occult literature that had finally helped me though I'd been reading it for years I only reached for the right book when I was under siege and fearing my own hand knowing that I was trying to deny the truth, but I've seen panic attacks. Nothing in the abnormal psychology books could explain this or anything my doctors said. 
  Sonically, I've been working on a release since the attacks called "The Diagnostic Dimension Of Axes- Operation Of The Invisible Forces". I'm trying to evoke musically the progressive nature of being harassed by what might be five or more entities at once, or appearing randomly to fuck with me.     
  The worst part is over, my true autobiography made a therapist cry yet I feel great for a few weeks now. Knowledge and skepticism is power over self. Music and art is a release of poison in my mind.
  That's all I can really say, I went insane for a good year but was cleared last week of all possible schizo-affective or disassociative disorders. I've been living on couches or in beds with an occasional woman for a few nights at a time & only deriving money from my mastering service and music label, but I am at peace and crawling back to solid ground having left the psychotic woman that I had been living with. She was also haunted by some of the same things I'd seen, including us both seeing a guitar rise and fall at once. I said "see it's not a hallucination", but she eventually went completely insane from terror and fell to the needle and hard drugs.
  All I can do is get back into the workforce after the EMDR sessions are over and continue to build upon my "occult" knowledge and use it for what I see as good, to not stray into the "left-hand path" again.
  Although my recent audio gets darker and darker, it is a release of evil rather than an identity and most people who associate with me in person see me as being clear-headed and strong, not a raging lunatic.

Niko

Never heard of Infirmary but have to check it out. If it's even half as fucked up as your life is, it must be very interesting project. :)
www.obscurex.org Noise, Power Electronics, Industrial & Experimental Label.

Infirmary

It's not, that's why I keep going. Visit Peoria, Illinois for a full night and I'll show you the most fucked up group of artists you have and haven't heard of.
Something in the environment here reminds me of that Masters Of Horror movie "The Thing" or whichever one it was where the town gets possessed and everyone starts brutally murdering each other. That's why I have plans to move to Chicago by the end of the year.

FreakAnimalFinland

Sold out!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net