Post Mortem

Started by Andrew McIntosh, July 19, 2019, 02:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew McIntosh

I have been given to believe the term "Post Mortem" refers to particularly murky, messy sounding Industrial. Until then I was under the impression it was another term for Death Industrial. Looking around, I also get the impression that it applies specifically to certain Swedish projects like Alfarmania, Blood Ov Thee Christ and so on. I found a Last FM list (that I certainly don't take as any gospel) that also mentioned Sickness and Proiekt Hat.

How do people define it, and what are the projects doing it these days? If it does refer to murky, messy sounding Industrial specifically, Swedish or not, I like the sound of what I've heard so far.

EDIT - no apologies if this thread's been done before.
Shikata ga nai.

CannibalRitual

Inventing a new style for every era/country ever.

deutscheasphalt

Atrax Morgue / Kranivm, Spiteful Womb, Aphora, Megaptera, Korpses Katatonik come to mind.
For me personally it would be hard to separate between death industrial and post mortem within one project but certain tracks can certainly fit within one or the other depending on atmosphere.

FreakAnimalFinland

It was mostly used by the swedes back in 80's. I don't think there was originally fixed "style" what it exactly is. Just name to refer all things dark, noisy, raw and brutal related to power electronics and old school industrial, which may have not been "pure" enough to call "P.E.". I don't think I ever heard it widely used before Tommy Carlsson started postmortem newsgroup back in the days of "egroups". Furthermore, Styggelse is probably to credit further popularization of term.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

RyanWreck

I always kind of thought of it as just another personal descriptive tag like calling P.E. "sado-electronics" or "sex-electronics". I guess some Post-Mortem can have an even denser Death Industrial feeling, less clinical and more lo-fi, less movement with more long form experimentation, if any of that makes sense.

cr

Quote from: RyanWreck on July 26, 2019, 07:37:47 PM
I guess some Post-Mortem can have an even denser Death Industrial feeling, less clinical and more lo-fi, less movement with more long form experimentation, if any of that makes sense.

For me, this describes it very well, can't say it any better.