Death Metal

Started by seventhcircle, July 15, 2019, 11:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ConcreteMascara

currently obsessed with Anatomia's new record Corporeal Torment on Me Saco Un Ojo Records. It's the slowest, most miserable thing they've done yet! I mean the last track of only four is twenty minutes long. and what a glorious twenty minutes. I've been waiting a few weeks for my physical copy so I broke down and started listening to it on Spotify in advance and now it's all I want to hear.

A while ago some people here recommended Cerebral Rot which I really enjoyed. I think they have a new record coming out soon? Looking forward to that.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

FallOfNature

Saw mention of Miasmatic Necrosis on the last page. The guy who runs P2 certainly has an ear for filthy death metal and goregrind. One of the better labels around covering the styles.

Really enjoyed this one he put out awhile. Project of the label owner and Justin Stubbs of Father Befouled etc etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HTCo-kOPOM

Label also did the Cystgurgle LP which is some of the wildest goregrind since LDOH

absurdexposition

Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Abraxxum

If you like Angelcorpse /// old Morbid Angel /// Deicide like DM....

CAMBION - Conflagrate the Celestial Refugium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x21KJa5b_vc

holy ghost

Quote from: absurdexposition on June 16, 2021, 04:20:22 PM
Quote from: FallOfNature on June 16, 2021, 03:59:15 AM
Miasmatic Necrosis

The record is so sick.

It is hella sick. So good!!

Been really jiving with FLUIDS lately. Just perfect for my ears. Too me forever to track those LPs down but finally HHR got them in stock.

New Portal was a nice surprise.  Very good. Haven't delved into it yet too much but "I like what I hear".

Also on Maggot Stomp that Thaetas LP is fucking great. Suffice/Gorguts type stuff. Really into it.

host body

Finnish death metal has been pretty good in recent years, here's some realeses from this year that I've liked:

cadaveric incubator: https://cadaveric-incubator.bandcamp.com/album/nightmare-necropolis
morbific: https://morbific.bandcamp.com/album/ominous-seep-of-putridity
ghastly: https://listen.20buckspin.com/album/mercurial-passages

Into_The_Void

Not really purchasing too much new stuff lately. The new Grave Miasma kicks asses, although I was not enthusiastic about the previous EP, the last "Abyss of wrathful deities" is a big surprise, a very good album in terms of arrangements, sound and lyrics/concept. Another must-buy for me has been the recent repress of Decomposed demos made by Me Saco Un Ojo, a seminal doom/death metal band out of the ´90ies.
New Anatomia (Japan) "Corporeal Torment" is also one of the top releases of the year for me already. Gloomy and filthy slow doom/death metal with a "sludgy Japanese touch" which reminded me a bit of Corrupted´s sound in the feeling. Another very good album that confirms (once more) one of the most prolific, yet interesting death metal bands nowadays.
https://sabruxa.bandcamp.com/ (Industrial / ambient)

holy ghost

I ordered the new Grave Miasma as well - I haven't had my order shipped yet but I'm excited to hear it. I recall not being blown away by the last one, but it might have been just too much stuff coming out at that point. I'm due to give it a re-listen. I am a big fan of everything else they've done.

Would be interested to hear the new Anatomia as well. I find it very hard to keep up with their output, I really enjoyed the split 10" with Undergang. The label they're on seems to have terrible North American distribution so I'll get it eventually.

Speaking of which I nabbed the new Undergang LP recently and it didn't blow me away. I'll have to go back and give it another shot.

New Fluids LP is streaming and I REALLY liked that one. Interesting they wound up on HHR, great distro but almost all the new bands they sign are just.... not very good. I'm very excited to grab the LP when it comes out.

Into_The_Void

Undergang are very good but somehow I have remained a bit behind with their discography. But with "new" are you talking about the live in USA or the last album?
Anatomia have a massive discography with lot of mini-releases, which I also find hard to follow, but all of their releases are from good to excellent (except maybe the 10´´"Shreds of putrefaction", which is a re-release of their demo though, and I remember it as a good record with very poor quality), so at least the albums deserve absolutely a listen.
https://sabruxa.bandcamp.com/ (Industrial / ambient)

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Into_The_Void on July 04, 2021, 05:27:55 PMAnother must-buy for me has been the recent repress of Decomposed demos made by Me Saco Un Ojo, a seminal doom/death metal band out of the ´90ies.
Thanks for mentioning this.  Never heard of it, and I'm liking it.

Quote from: holy ghost on July 04, 2021, 06:03:04 PMNew Fluids LP is streaming and I REALLY liked that one. Interesting they wound up on HHR, great distro but almost all the new bands they sign are just.... not very good. I'm very excited to grab the LP when it comes out.
Do you think they're too prolific?  I really like them, but it feels like I get two updates a week about another release or piece of merchandise.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

holy ghost

Quote from: Zeno Marx on July 05, 2021, 05:38:26 PM
Do you think they're too prolific?  I really like them, but it feels like I get two updates a week about another release or piece of merchandise.

I thought they only had a couple of LPs but I looked at discogs and yeah it's a ton of stuff they have out. I guess that Maggot Stomp stuff is designed to stir the buyer into an orgiastic spending frenzy? I heard about them from a "friend with good taste" a while ago and I haven't been able to pick up any of their releases until now because they'd sell out to quick and wind up on discogs. I get it's 2021 and sick riffs don't cut it anymore but come on.....

ConcreteMascara

A couple of DM albums worth mention, 2 of which I've included my reviews from elsewhere here.

Portal - Avow - Profound Lore, 2021 - Portal are obviously no hidden gem or up-and-comers, but I don think it's worth mentioning that their latest album, Avow, is just supremely fucking excellent. 6 songs of absolute hellish descent.

Cerebral Rot - Excretion of Mortality - 20 Buck Spin, 2021 - my favorite death metal release in a long, long time. I'd say it's an improvement on the first album in every way possible. proper review below:

I listened to Odious Descent Into Decay several times around when it was released. I liked it a lot, more than the vast majority of newer death metal albums being released but didn't pick it up until recently. I also took special notice of the shrieking, ugly guitar solos. I only heard Excretion of Mortality for the first time last month (Oct. 2022) and immediately realized I made a huge mistake sleeping on Cerebral Rot. While Odious Descent Into Decay is certainly a great first outing, Excretion of Mortality improves upon it in every way. Better riffs, better solos, better vocals, and better overall production. The opening title track is absolutely infectious, grabbing you by the back of the skull and squeezing until your brain ruptures and your eyes bleed. Everything here captures the absolute putridity of the best films by Lucio Fulci. Similar to Fulci's most disgusting works, this "low art" transcends its origin to become something wholly unique and enduring. In terms of the actual sound, I would point to Realm of Chaos and In Battle There Is No Law! by Bolt Thrower and Symphonies of Sickness by Carcass (but played at half the speed), noticeably in regard to the stampeding drums (Bolt Thrower), the purulent atmosphere (Carcass), and the absolutely wild solos (both bands). I am also reminded of Anatomia's lurching single mindedness. Arguably, there are also nods to the sound of Finnish legends like Abhorrence and Convulse. These are all things I love and Cerebral Rot's evocation of them, intentional or not, wouldn't be enough if the songs didn't stand on their own. But they do, and they stand tall, with the albums finale being the penultimate highlight; the towering colossus of muck and filth that is Crowning the Disgustulent (Breed of Repugnance). At 11 minutes it is the ultimate payoff to this descent into murky depths, utilizing repetition with tension building riffs and atmospherics until reaching its slow-motion zenith  at 7:41, releasing spores of brain melting fungus as a final fuck you. I would also note, there is a lot of this call and response style guitar work between the lead and rhythm which I cannot get enough of, which again is very prominent Crowning the Disgustulent. For my taste this is a flawless album which demands immediate replays and somehow even leaves me wanting more despite its 47 minute run time. I can't wait for what they do next.

Phobophilic - Enveloping Absurdity - Prosthetic, 2022 - favorite album of last year.

I had never heard Phobophilic before seeing them live, opening for 200 Stab Wounds, Undeath and Enforced, but I was extremely impressed with their set. Touring hot on the heels of the release of this album, they sounded tight as hell, striking a balance between quality riffs, twisting songwriting and gloomy flourishes. Picked this up at the merch table immediately after. And I have to say, as good as all of the other bands sounded, Phobophilic was the surprise highlight for me.

Enveloping Absurdity is quickly rising towards the top of my favorite releases of 2022. It's an extremely well paced and well played 37 minutes of death metal, all of which feels and sounds like its part of a cohesive vision. It reminds me of 2 things primarily: Finnish death metal a la Adramelech and Convulse and Starspawn by Blood Incantation. The tinge of gloom and coffin stench and the guitar tone conjure up those Finnish influences, but the pacing, song structures and solos really remind me of Starspawn. They also do a great job of slowing things down and letting the guitars and bass shine. This is not an endless, cavernous blast fest (not that that's not enjoyable on its own terms). I think Phobophilic do a shocking good job of making each track flow into the next giving a sense of unity and flow I'd expect from a more seasoned band. I don't know that I can pick a single stand out track, but my favorite part of the album is the middle stretch from Cathedrals of Blood (Twilight of the Idols) to The Illusion of Self.

I'm not ready to say this is the absolute best album of 2022, but I think it's going to a get a lot more spins than many of the other contenders. So if you're a death metal do yourself a favor and pick this up and go see Phobophilic live!
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

FallOfNature

recent tape from Evulse is great. Even a hint of melodic, almost GBK/Arghoslent style riffing to be heard! (though no doubt the band would hate to hear that)

A lot of recent Brutal Death on rotation too, new album from Excrescence is top notch, raw rough as guts gutter gurgle style ala Pustulated and Colombian bands. Latest Stabbing album has gotten a lot of spins. Their first bored me, and they're considered a gimmick by a lot of people but this one impressed me.

Zeno Marx

Bog Body

I think this gets marketed as death metal, but there's a solid footing in Godflesh there too.  And maybe a little something for the MitB skull servants as well.  The live recording feels less deathy than the official releases.  Translates well live.  I'm into it.

This venue delivering good video and soundboard audio is a nice service.

https://youtu.be/NY-a0_rKMsM
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FallOfNature

latest Stabbing album has been getting some time. Straight forward Brutal Death and the female vox remind me of early Severe Torture. Female members have gotten them a bit of a hype label but I think the music speaks for itself here

new Devangelic ain't bad, they've gone the Sumerian route 100% thematically. I do prefer the claustrophobic sounds of Phlegethon though.

entire latest New Standard Elite batch is gold. That label's curator has a great ear for feral sounding nasty brutal death. Infertile Surrogacy, Excrescence, Ecchymosis and Infectology all fantastic

other recent listens - Sijjeel, Gargling, new Decrepit Cadaver...