Death Metal

Started by seventhcircle, July 15, 2019, 11:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on July 19, 2019, 07:17:31 PM
seeing Tomb Mold in Philly tonight. I've heard nothing but praise here for the band so my expectations are pretty high.

New lp sounds better than digital. High frequencies are distorted on vinyl and make it sound better than "real" recording was. I was surprised that  female at her 20's came to my store and asked for it. She was perhaps equally surprised I had the lp available. It definitely is stand out from mass of current DM. There are several good releases by Blood Harvest label.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

cr

OMM

Maybe Portal is the only one out off the classic DM patterns (nowadays), really dark in each LP, interesting lyrics, dissonants riffs, atonal, extravagant, unique sound, with originals drums sequences... to me one of the best DM bands (even though have a bit BM influence). The rest (from 2000 to nowadays) is the clon, copy or excesive influence of some old.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 19, 2019, 08:03:06 PM
Quote from: ConcreteMascara on July 19, 2019, 07:17:31 PM
seeing Tomb Mold in Philly tonight. I've heard nothing but praise here for the band so my expectations are pretty high.

New lp sounds better than digital. High frequencies are distorted on vinyl and make it sound better than "real" recording was. I was surprised that  female at her 20's came to my store and asked for it. She was perhaps equally surprised I had the lp available. It definitely is stand out from mass of current DM. There are several good releases by Blood Harvest label.

Tomb Mold seriously delivered on Friday. To give a little context, the opener was a Philly local called Botis that played a weird mix of black metal and math rock. I know, it sounds awful but I really enjoyed it. each dude looks like he should be in a different band but they all came together to provide something from leftfield.  the 2nd band, Superstition spent 15-20 munutes giving the sound guy grief to get the sound they wanted, which was apparently to sound like mud. and not in a cool way, just in that perfect way that everything blends together so any good riffs or solos are totally lost. great job guys!

and then Tomb Mold took 10 minutes to get set up, quick soundcheck and then right into crushing the competition. sound was good, songwriting was really fucking good. proper fucking riffs! proper fucking audible bass. reminded me a bit of Convulse meets Slugathor type of sound. the sprinkled little ambient bits in too here and there. also respect to any band where the drummer is the vocalist. the venue is small so it was a nice and proper sweaty shove fest at 100f.

picked up their albums at the show and I have to say while they certainly sound good, I liked the live sound even more.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Zeno Marx

Am I wrong with the impression Tomb Mold is more than less dismissed by many?  I don't know why I feel that, but it's definitely a vibe I get.  I think they're darn great and do so many things really well.  If I have one complaint, it's that they are too quick to leave a great riff or part.  When they drop into a Bolt Thrower barrage or vintage thrash moment, I wish they'd stick with it for a good couple minutes.  There's a part in "Final Struggle of Selves" that is maybe 30 seconds, and it could have rolled for another minute or two.  A great luxury to have that they come through with so many quality ideas that they might be do for some editing.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

holy ghost

Quote from: Zeno Marx on July 24, 2019, 01:02:33 AM
Am I wrong with the impression Tomb Mold is more than less dismissed by many?

I think if you peruses the NWN forum they might not be quite "extreme" enough for the bestial edgelord 666goatfago crowd but locally they're always a solid draw and open up a ton of bigger gigs (they opened the Gatecreeper/Full of Hell tour last year and that was fucking nuts) and from their Instagram they seem to play bigger venues than a lot of death metal bands. My old band played with them, Skullshitter and Radiation Blackbody a few years ago to maybe 20-30 people and now they have a way higher draw locally and on tour as well.

absurdexposition

They're so good live. Had to play after them once and we were all "how the fuck do we follow that?" Definitely the talk of the town wherever they go.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

MagBaX

Death metal and Goregrind are both great genres

urall

Really looking forward to the euro Tomb Mold tour in september. Sounds great on record and from the live vids i've seen live as well.

Current DM playlist includes the new Krypts album (crushing gig i saw a couple of months ago), Pissgrave & Fetid.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: holy ghost on July 24, 2019, 01:23:21 AM
Am I wrong with the impression Tomb Mold is more than less dismissed by many?

I think if you peruses the NWN forum they might not be quite "extreme" enough for the bestial edgelord 666goatfago crowd but locally they're always a solid draw and open up a ton of bigger gigs (they opened the Gatecreeper/Full of Hell tour last year and that was fucking nuts) and from their Instagram they seem to play bigger venues than a lot of death metal bands. My old band played with them, Skullshitter and Radiation Blackbody a few years ago to maybe 20-30 people and now they have a way higher draw locally and on tour as well.

That NWN forum can be so damn toxic. As bad as noise nerds can be, metal nerds are even worse imo. There's some good trading to be had and some good recommendations buried under all the posturing and trolling, but I find it difficult to use that forum more than a couple days a year.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

DSOL

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on July 24, 2019, 04:31:59 PMmetal nerds are even worse

this is true - just read the current Tomb Mold thread
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

seventhcircle

... I think they're darn great and do so many things really well.  If I have one complaint, it's that they are too quick to leave a great riff or part.  When they drop into a Bolt Thrower barrage or vintage thrash moment, I wish they'd stick with it for a good couple minutes.  There's a part in "Final Struggle of Selves" that is maybe 30 seconds, and it could have rolled for another minute or two.  A great luxury to have that they come through with so many quality ideas that they might be do for some editing.

Totally agree with this!

I was never really into Tomb Mold's previous output, but after giving Planetary Clairvoyance a shot, there are definitely some solid riffs riddled throughout the album. There's one riff towards the end of the album title track that I wish just started things off instead of being so short.. I could say this about a lot of the tracks. But i'm glad that the band is improving their sound, and that people are digging it. Good for them!
nothing is precious, bastardize everything

Zeno Marx

RE:  Tomb Mold

Not the right hair length or the correct uniform?  Or coming from a punk background, so not rightist enough (I'll never understand metaleds being conservatives, but that is for another time)?  Responding to Holy Ghost's comment about not being extreme enough.  Who knows if they've been listening to/into death metal as long as anything else, but I can understand, by some quick-judged metrics, why they'd be deemed interlopers...and if so, interlopers who do it better than the true folk (must be irritating).
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

seventhcircle

The Tomb Mold discussion going on in the NWN board got me thinking about the topic of "authenticity" in extreme music.. maybe this calls for discussion in another thread, but I could honestly care less about the association with an individual's background and the art they put out.

If someone makes really well executed power electronics about BDSM and they actually partake in it within their personal lives, great. If the project was only exploring themes of BDSM, and the artist just has a genuine interest in the subject, that's fine too. I can understand the idea that maybe someone would only want to listen to music from artists that actually "walk the walk," but art in general is meant as an outlet for people's interests to varying degrees. As long as the approach is honest and not from some place of posturing/yearn for credibility, i'll at least accept it for what it is.

nothing is precious, bastardize everything

ricjaff

Tomb Mold isn't a bad band by any means, but they don't do anything that stands out personally. I think the new album is better than the previous, but it doesn't have enough character that affects me to keep coming back to it. I will see them live, and soon, but recorded there's no pull.

Having said that i'm really enjoying the new Desecresy - "Towards Nebulae": https://youtu.be/RmjDb0r21G0