NOISEXTRA - A podcast about noise

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, May 31, 2019, 12:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W.K.

Quote from: Fistfuck Masonanie on September 17, 2020, 03:46:41 PM
Finished part 1 of the Dom episode and I was impressed, it was very interesting and packed in a lot of relevant information. I have a lot more respect for Dom after listening to this and understanding some of his influences and views. Very much looking forward to part 2.

I guess the alcohol was already heavily flowing in part 2, one of these guys is constantly interrupting Dom which makes it a bit tiresome to listen too because it constantly breaks the flow. Yet it also felt it could go on for an extra few episodes because there is still much that isn't talked about like running hospital productions, running the store, his involvement in techno and how much his initial approaches have been changed over the years. But maybe it's also good to keep some stories untold.
Straight murkin' riddim blud, absolute vile gash

FreakAnimalFinland

I think it was intentionally restricted to the "90's". Theme of Noisextra has been, to deal with mostly older noise, till end of 90's. So only that era of Hospital / Prurient was covered, except a bit of touring etc what happened mostly in first years of millennium.
I think this whole "new wave of USA noise", would be curious to take look now. They do cover it in this episode. So many people came and then disappeared. Masses of people who just disappeared, while many of the 90's noise protagonists are still around.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Zeno Marx

The Orphx episode was good.  More guest talk from an interesting couple.  I've always liked that album a lot.  Had Malignant not taken that chance, I doubt many of us would have heard of them at the time.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Bruitiste

Anyone catch their two-hour video livestream (for Tusk Festival) discussing The New Blockaders?  Missed it unfortunately.

host body

Quote from: Bruitiste on September 29, 2020, 01:00:25 AM
Quote from: host body on September 17, 2020, 10:56:51 AM
I wish they'd make more trashware & actual music discussion honestly. I have no interest in wrestling or obscure movies. Love the Connellys but they should really start their own patreon and leave noisextra stricktly for noise.
The new Trashware with Dilloway is really good, probably my favorite yet.
Anyway, generally agree that more of this and less of the other stuff would be great.  Also don't care for wrestling, I skip those entirely.  The movie ones are sometimes interesting to me due to some dovetailing curiosity about that B- and Z-grade stuff, but your mileage may vary.

I'm currently only on the lowest patreon tier, but will upgrade at some point for a month & download all of the music related patreon exclusives i've been missing out on. If they'd change it so that everyone who donates 5 bucks gets all the music shit & all the wrestling, movie etc. stuff would be for higher tiers I'd happily donate more every month, but as it is the second tier gives you very little and the third tier is a bit too much for me to be on full time.

That said it's still my favourite podcast.

FreakAnimalFinland

Several podcasts have happened. Hopkins was real nice to hear for the very first time. Been reading his work or translations since the 90's, and probably first time I hear him talking about things.

Latest one with mr. Petrus, confirming how to say his last name. My last name is mentioned in episode, and Ass poo is close enough, that'll do it!

murderous_vision

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on December 03, 2020, 07:13:25 PM
Several podcasts have happened. Hopkins was real nice to hear for the very first time. Been reading his work or translations since the 90's, and probably first time I hear him talking about things.

Latest one with mr. Petrus, confirming how to say his last name. My last name is mentioned in episode, and Ass poo is close enough, that'll do it!

Hahahaha, did I say Ass-Poo? Neat.

Bruitiste

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on December 03, 2020, 07:13:25 PM

Can't recall if anyone's asked this before but, if they asked to have you on as a guest, would you do it?  If yes, what record would you want to talk about, or just general history/interview?

FreakAnimalFinland

I have no objections to be interviewed, and open to suggestions, but the more higher profile and visible the "media" is, it may be also wise to avoid certain things. Like obscene noise brutes, who may drag everybody into sewers.

I have all the means of talking about myself (haha) or promoting great noise -  that many doesn't seem to have? From that perspective Noisextra has hundreds of important figures of noise history to cover, who almost never get "publicity" so to say. Plus the utterly crucial old veterans and originators of genre who basically never get their story out there.

This is something what I was thinking while (still..) compiling the noise interviews -topic. It displays clearly the fact, that some guys are appearing frequently in interviews of genre 'zine. Others.. never, or very rarely. This may not be question if artist or band is good and interesting or not. In some cases it is simply that artists refuse interview (Anenzephalia, G.O., etc..). In some cases it may be simply that they have been never asked?!
While Grunt (or related) has appeared in just about every active noise publication currently existing, and there is lots of important creators who have never been properly inteviewed...?

Special Interests podcast will most likely do episode of rare Finnish power electronics/noise. Probably two parts. 90's and early 00's. Including mostly unreleased or widely unheard finnish stuff. Some stories may be told in those.

Fistfuck Masonanie

Randy Yau episode was very good. He has always been one of my favorites from the 2000's and I loved the in-depth detailing of how his sound developed over time. Especially his intertwined interest in engineering so he could build noise devices/instruments. I was very curious why he had dropped off and his answer was kind of funny. Hopefully we get some more work from him in the future which it sounds like is a possibility.

There was a lot of info in the episode, but nice to hear more about 7HZ and his time touring, he had some good comedic stories. Was it the show in Sylvania he said there was act who was a doctor that performed surgery on himself...?

Bruitiste

Quote from: Fistfuck Masonanie on December 10, 2020, 04:32:05 PM
Was it the show in Sylvania he said there was act who was a doctor that performed surgery on himself...?
Great episode and that was certainly a highlight.  Possibly Slovenia, unless I misheard?

PTM Jim

Quote from: Fistfuck Masonanie on December 10, 2020, 04:32:05 PM
I was very curious why he had dropped off and his answer was kind of funny. Hopefully we get some more work from him in the future which it sounds like is a possibility.
Hearing that he never quit and that he is just a procrastinator was the best news.

Eigen Bast

I've been thinking about taking Masonna to guitar center all day

aububs

you should do it imo, before guitar center closes

Eigen Bast

Year End episode is up with everyone's list. Hospital and Chondritic heavy but good choices! In total agreement on the Fuck Mote LP, KILLER release and the remix CD is equally essential.