Witch Hunt Season is Open

Started by EXU, February 11, 2019, 09:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GEWALTMONOPOL

Quote from: Strömkarlen on February 13, 2019, 12:07:33 PM
Speaking of people named Miller. Why is never Daniel Miller of Mute getting any shite? He use to engineer Boyds live shows in Europe for crying out loud and released his records. Oh, yeah he is rich and has a lawyer or two...

Also, The Quietus is a wannabe The Wire and isn't going to ruffle the feathers of a major mover and shaker within the independent UK music industry like Mute. They know this and will keep within the safe margins of who they attack. Cold Spring, in spite of it's size, is still enough of an outsider from polite indie label society that TQ risk nothing when having a pop at them. Mute, arguably one of the biggest independent labels in the world, with affiliations everywhere is a totally differen't level. They'll never go there.

Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

eraciator

Quote from: A-Z on February 13, 2019, 12:36:24 AM
Andrew Dymock, 21, and Oskar Dunn-Koczorowki, 17, leading members of Sonnenkrieg Division, a British offshoot of National Action with strong ties to Atomwaffen Division and the O9A, were arrested and charged with terrorist offences after distributing memes suggesting that Prince Harry should be shot as a race traitor.

excuse me, what?

My recollection is that he was charged for incitement for the memes (and possibly other stuff we don't know about) and being a member of a proscribed organisation. The latter is basically terror related.

The former is one to watch for UK people with fringe politics or producers of extreme material. Certainly some of the veterans of Class War have said there is no way they would get away with some of the early issues of their paper now.

eraciator

Bower's been trying to wind people up for the last few years with this stuff. Magick defends itself eh.

EXU

Quote from: GEWALTMONOPOL on February 13, 2019, 04:13:20 PM
Speaking of people named Miller. Why is never Daniel Miller of Mute getting any shite? He use to engineer Boyds live shows in Europe for crying out loud and released his records. Oh, yeah he is rich and has a lawyer or two...

Also, The Quietus is a wannabe The Wire and isn't going to ruffle the feathers of a major mover and shaker within the independent UK music industry like Mute. They know this and will keep within the safe margins of who they attack. Cold Spring, in spite of it's size, is still enough of an outsider from polite indie label society that TQ risk nothing when having a pop at them. Mute, arguably one of the biggest independent labels in the world, with affiliations everywhere is a totally differen't level. They'll never go there.

It's telling that not a word is said about Justin Broadrick links with Skullflower that are stronger than "played some show with them once". JK Flesh is one of the headliners from the Raw Power (pfff...) Festival.

l.b.

i would have more respect for these fucks if they would at least stand by their stupid principles. these articles never make any real conclusions and the sentences always end with wishy-washy bullshit like "is he a nazi? we don't know. should you stop buying his music? i cant say for sure" like fuck you dude, don't waste my time with this shit. hipsters in noise is one thing but stay the fuck out of black metal

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: l.b. on February 13, 2019, 07:23:34 PM
i would have more respect for these fucks if they would at least stand by their stupid principles. these articles never make any real conclusions and the sentences always end with wishy-washy bullshit like "is he a nazi? we don't know. should you stop buying his music? i cant say for sure" like fuck you dude, don't waste my time with this shit. hipsters in noise is one thing but stay the fuck out of black metal

Too late. BM is infested by people like that. Or lets say, their side of metal. I don't know single guy who'd have issues listening Emperor due member stabbing faggot who tried to take advantage of teenage metalhead. I guess they exist somewhere, but I never met one.

It is true, that very few articles make conclusions. I would assume that it is sign of playing it safe. Authors certainly knows that it is enough to raise question, and this question will remain in peoples mind, despite what was the real conclusion - if there was any. Whatever target of accusation will say, the original outrage will be remember. If shit hits the fan, guy who wrote the smear campaign can yell "well, I didn't say he was...", ...like a little bitch.

Remember when mr. 88MM a.k.a. Dagon of Inquisition was accused of... hmm. what exactly? Just about half of metal scene cried over decade old case where man has maybe watched something online. We don't know what it is. We don't know why. But outrage fueled by shittiest metal blogs caused them quite a lot. Even people who generally have some sense, lost their shit over speculation of "what it could have been". As if transgressive underground suddenly turned to be moralist branch of Jerry Springer audience. Repulsive incident indeed.

Equally repulsed, I can not understate how disappointing it is to see someone like Philip Best to apologize (now related to this Bower case) in social media for old compilation tape he did as teenager. Considering that he ain't producing exactly "nice stuff" now either. So what the fuck? What is there to apologize?

Before someone says you don't know, before you take the heat, before you got something to lose... Well, I guess there has been occasion or another. And without doubt will be few more to come. I would hope people to understand that to go agains the current, means friction. You know you are going to right direction when there is friction.

I'd keep my fingers crossed that Bower, like said, will set good example of old English scene to keep his calm. I guess Justin of Cold Spring has. Very much respectable behavior.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

deutscheasphalt

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on February 13, 2019, 09:05:01 PM
Equally repulsed, I can not understate how disappointing it is to see someone like Philip Best to apologize (now related to this Bower case) in social media for old compilation tape he did as teenager. Considering that he ain't producing exactly "nice stuff" now either. So what the fuck? What is there to apologize?

Any source for said apology you could link? Would be interested to read how he phrased it.
When this happens I am often not sure where the pressure for making a public statement comes from, since most of the time antifa and such don't really have any arguments at all. I guess it's just "general fear" of online character assassination or damage to business or artist image. However I agree such apologies or even justification regarding own artwork are very weak, like losing one's face.

PTM Jim

An apology goes nowhere because those whom it is directed at in the first place almost always don't accept it anyway, unless you are on their side and made a "mistake." I was so disappointed when Nyogthaeblisz did their long-winded justification/apology. They are supposed to be a band that says 'fuck you' or nothing at all. I'd rather people push back harder or double down. Saying sorry is going to perpetuate the problem and keep them justifying their calls outs because we look weak and scared. 

l.b.

I guess they exist somewhere, but I never met one.
here in US plenty of "pizza & beer" type metalheads get all bent out of shape about faust

QuoteEqually repulsed, I can not understate how disappointing it is to see someone like Philip Best to apologize (now related to this Bower case) in social media for old compilation tape he did as teenager.
would also be curious to see a link to this or something, not familiar with this particular incident but reminds me of william bennett and mark solotroff feeling compelled to write long facebook screeds in light of the, ah, "fresh attention" as it were

edit: curious also what gets "a pass," plenty of otherwise-lefty types love genocide organ. guys from inade/loki found don't seem to have any problems

deutscheasphalt

Quote from: l.b. on February 14, 2019, 02:45:44 AM
edit: curious also what gets "a pass," plenty of otherwise-lefty types love genocide organ. guys from inade/loki found don't seem to have any problems
As those are like the 2 most popular German exports the widespread audience is not surprising let alone none of the associated groups glorify fascist ideologies and conduct themselves in a relatively private manner. But even if that wasn't the case, the reason why artists are attacked, harassed, cancelled is literally not more than a snowflake being triggered, so "what gets a pass" is totally unpredictable.
Sorry if this is off-topic it seems to be drifting off into general free-speech/censorship bullshit.

HongKongGoolagong

Quote from: eraciator on February 13, 2019, 04:29:28 PM
Bower's been trying to wind people up for the last few years with this stuff.

Releasing records dealing with North African themes for an anti-imperialist record label run by an Algerian guy living in Egypt. Travelling to Texas to collaborate with a virulently and vocally anti-Trump married gay couple. When booked at an old-school industrial festival, hiring a crossdressing shaman to speak in tongues in front of all those insignia wearers. Donating a track to get some kid off the internet's record label started, a label named after a feminist Beyonce song with all the cultural coding that implies.

The "Dylan Miller" pieces are a collaboration between John Doran and Luke Turner to my knowledge.

Strömkarlen

Quote from: GEWALTMONOPOL on February 13, 2019, 04:13:20 PM

Yeah. I'm also ready with the popcorn for the fall-out over Lord of Chaos film. I don't see them pushing that is a film based on a book by Michael Moynihan... but on the other hand with Ridley Scoots company, Vice and 20 century fox involved the  likes of TQ will tread gently.

online prowler

Quote from: HongKongGoolagong on February 14, 2019, 09:13:56 AM
Quote from: eraciator on February 13, 2019, 04:29:28 PM
Bower's been trying to wind people up for the last few years with this stuff.

The "Dylan Miller" pieces are a collaboration between John Doran and Luke Turner to my knowledge.

What is your documentation on this?

Cementimental

Quote from: deutscheasphalt on February 13, 2019, 11:24:23 PM

Any source for said apology you could link? Would be interested to read how he phrased it.

I massively respect that apology and don't for a minute think it's anything he feels pressured into or isn't genuine about, especially considering it was in the context of his posts critical of this whole anti-skullflower thing. I don't see why someone should be expected to still defend and refuse to explain some dumb teenage prank decades later just so a load of nostalgic industrial record collectors can still feel like it was 'real' or whatever.