Digipacks, artwork.. bending during winter...

Started by Dr Alex, January 06, 2019, 12:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Alex

I just noticed that some of my Autarkeia and Peaceville digipaks are bend on the side where plastic disc holders are glued. Temperature where I store all my collection of cds, vinyls, tapes and comics are 20 - 24 °C during whole year. Also, all my cds are in plastic sleeves and stored very carefully. Do you have the same problem or how to save cds from bending?

FreakAnimalFinland

I don't see this in any of my Autarkeia digipaks.
But I have seen this with some other releases. Not common feature, but there are always possibility of unexpected manufacturing problems.

(for example: Printed parts being glued too fast after being printed. Paper tends to react on ink of offset or heat of digital print, and would need to let get "back to normal" for day or two before proceeding. Think of glued cardboard getting just fraction of mm smaller over time and curving could happen.)

Recently did trade with one label who had most releases in cardboard covers. All discs were packaged in plastic sleeves inside the cover, and this plastic that was used, reacted with the discs. Sort of melting process where all disc surfaces of every release was therefore textured with scratch like pattern...  Most packaging styles have their advantages and flaws.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FallOfNature

My Autarkeia stuff is fine, but stored in a closet inside plastic slips.

Digipaks are rubbish anyway, and I wish labels stopped making them.

Leatherface

ANDROPHILIA

Quote from: FallOfNature on January 07, 2019, 08:18:48 AM

Digipaks are rubbish anyway, and I wish labels stopped making them.

really?
why?
are usually better and make a more complete object then jewelcases.
certainly depends on the quality
-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

FallOfNature

-difficult to store neatly
-if the teeth in the disc holder break off, you can't replace them
-tendency for plastic parts to come away from the printed parts
-the way some "flatten", and I've received them brand new in shrink in this condition
-I've had them stick together when stored together, due to the method of manufacturing/printing.

I could go on, but I'll take a nice jewelcase CD with well laid out booklet anyday. Digipak CD is usually the very last resort of format choice for me when buying new music. I only keep a few now for completist reasons.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: FallOfNature on January 08, 2019, 04:02:04 AM
-difficult to store neatly
-if the teeth in the disc holder break off, you can't replace them
-tendency for plastic parts to come away from the printed parts
-the way some "flatten", and I've received them brand new in shrink in this condition
-I've had them stick together when stored together, due to the method of manufacturing/printing.

I could go on, but I'll take a nice jewelcase CD with well laid out booklet anyday. Digipak CD is usually the very last resort of format choice for me when buying new music. I only keep a few now for completist reasons.

I used to not appreciate digipak for some of same reasons. But in reality, I don't think I had any digipak tray damaged in my collection. Very few have generated wear. It's mostly digipaks I took into car to listen there.
Many of the flaws are more result of manufacturing errors. It's like complaining LP's are so shit, because someone shipped you one inside cover and now it's all broken and corners bend due bad packaging. Or it was storaged in too moist temperature and now ruined. Such things barely formats fault, rather particular manufacturers flaws. In such case one can claim tapes are shitty as some are dubbed badly. Or LP's are shitty as currently there seems to be growing number of badly cut or badly done metalworks causing crackles and pop way beyond acceptable limit. Or jewelbox CD, where you got quite many releases with defects caused either by cheap manufacturing or shipping (often without jewelboxes). Bend booklets, scratched discs,... not uncommon in underground where many send bulk amounts without jewelboxes.

I used to be highly concerned about if item will age from Mint to " vg+" over the years. Nowadays, not at all. Of course I treat releases with care, but I do not have obsession whether it should be absolute mint. My dislike for autistic nerdy collections wrapped in plastic lead to situation where books and CD's, have signs that it has been extensively listened / browsed, are better than "unopened, unplayed item" for future business transactions. The way I listen CD's, it's hardly get them even in m- condition.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Urban Noise

My only problem with Digipacks is that in some cases the CD is too fucking hard to take out of the plastic holder. But never got one broken.
And many times Jewelcases are so bad it hurts. Happened to be before, made a big order of jewelcases for my editions and that shit was total crap.
New Approach Records
www.nghproductions.limitedrun.com
www.newapproachrecords.wordpress.com
www.nekrogoatheresyproductions.wordpress.com