Hospital Productions: where to start?

Started by sml.lrs, January 02, 2019, 04:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

collapsedhole

i actually didn't really dig the lussuria/alberich collab, which is strange considering how much i like the solo works from each artist.

"favorite" lussuria would actually be the sunken meadow tape, shame its so limited. i remember talking with jim/lussuria about it when he gave me my copy, i have the private edition, and it is actually themed on sunken meadow state park... which is a 'park' on long island on the grounds of what used to be a huge state psychiatric center. the park is really cool as the majority of it is just paved walkways surrounded by 30+ abandoned buildings, many of which you can just walk into - illegally of course.

some favorites when it comes to the more difficult to acquire limited tapes:

age of enlightenment - vampiric treblinka
whorebutcher - libertine
jason crumer - what is love
wilt - winters whore
hair police - fear of sleep
dead machines - full moon
alberich - penis womb
prurient - sexual magic
prurient - oxidation
k.p. - nominating someone
arron dilloway - a foxhole point of view

biggest regret - not choosing to take age of enlightenment - traumatology when dom handed it to me at no fun fest. don't remember what i wanted instead but, fuck...

Baglady

I think most of the highlights I'd pick myself have been mentioned already. Except for ROMAN TORMENT - Masculine Failure LP (2006). Just great harsh blasting. Very typical of its era, but also among its best. Good wholesome fun that still holds up, and definitely my favorite Roman Torment release. Great album title too.

ConcreteMascara

It's interesting to see some of the recommendations here. Some I can agree with, which I'll mention below, and others like the Prurient/FFH collab tape were so disappointing to me. I've sold a decent chunk of my Hospital tapes over the years because a lot of them just didn't do much for me, but I hope those who bought them from me enjoyed them more than I did.

I got really into Hospital in '06 so my favorites pull heavily from '06 to '09. and those just seemed to be really good years for harsh noise releases on Hospital. I also love "proper" techno, and some of the straight on techno albums from 2011 onwards happen to be some of the best techno albums from the past 6-7 years.

So my top recommendations (in chronological order) would be:
Prurient - The History of AIDS CD [2002] - still the best Prurient album.
Deathpile - G.R. CD [2003] - not the best Deathpile imo but still a cornerstone release.
V/A - Field Tales 3xcassette [2003] - a huge amount of material and most of it's pretty damn good. and a nice mix of more established artists of the time with some newer projects. The Urge Within track is probably the ultimate highlight for me.
Pedestrian Deposit - Volatile CD [2005] - some of my favorite US harsh noise that's outside of the MSNP nexus.
Nicole 12/Prurient - Love & Romance 12" [2005] - some of my favorite N12 material. the Prurient material is exceptionally unpleasant and cut very shrilly.
Pedestrian Deposit - Fatale CD [2006] - still my favorite work by Jon, and one of my fav harsh noise albums from the '00s.
Prurient & Kevin Drumm - All Are Guests in the House of the Lord CD [2007] - forgotten/underrated gem. maybe my favorite Kevin Drumm work. played the shit out of this CD from 2007-2010.
Age of Enlightenment - Vampiric Treblinka Cassette [2007] - one of my all-time favorite Hospital releases. harsh noise gem!
Ahlzagailzehguh ‎– Bypassing Time Passing LP [2007] - cut-up harsh noise perfection. loved these silk screened LPs sleeves from this era.
Burning Star Core / Prurient - Ghosts of Niagara box set - I've only had rips of the cassettes but a fucking massive release full of killer material that would act as a precursor to Frozen Niagara Falls and Rainbow Mirror
Kevin Drumm - Imperial Distortion 2xCD [2008] - incredible drone album
Shallow Waters - Equal Eyes LP [2008] - important document of Providence power electronics and high end note for this project.
Final Solution - All New Power Cassette [2011] - my first exposure to this seemingly out of reach project. absolute ripper of a tape.
Silent Servant - Negative Fascination LP [2012] - not my favorite member of the Sandwell District collective, but still an instantly beloved techno album on a label that was expanding it's scope dramatically. this release (and it's success) signaled a clear intent to release techno full lengths regularly on the label.
Violet Poison - Voices From The Hell cassette [2013] - the proper debut for a techno project that evolve into something amazing. you can hear the beginnings of his giallo techno style already.
Shifted ‎– Appropriation Stories 2xLP [2016] - ultra reduced techno by one of the best artists working.
Linekraft ‎– Engineering Analysis Of Inner Death LP [2018] - and Hospital still releases killer industrial music.

[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Zeno Marx

I'm no authority on Hospital, but I'd recommend these to anyone:

Alberich - all
Alberich - NATO-Uniformen 2011
Bone Awl - ...So I Must Take From The Earth And Make It My Own 2006
Kevin Drumm - Imperial Distortion 2008
Jason Crumer - Ottoman Black 2008
Macronympha - Melting Softly Into Time 2005
Skin Crime - s/t 2003
Skin Crime - Ghosts I Have Been 2018
Skin Crime - Case Studies In Early Taxidermy Techniques - (a lazy recommendation, but really, for a noisehead, it's rather necessary)
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.