Hospital Productions: where to start?

Started by sml.lrs, January 02, 2019, 04:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sml.lrs

Hello everyone. I want to start a journey into the Hospital Productions catalogue. Where should I start? What releases do you think are the most important?

PTM Jim

The catalog is pretty diverse, so what are you looking for soundwise?

sml.lrs

The release I liked most (I listened to 10/15 things) is Alberich - NATO-Uniformen. So noise/power electronics stuff!

theworldisawarfilm

I'll just take this opportunity to say that the Dust Belt 'Ecocannibalism' box that came out in 2017 is a total masterpiece of atmosphere. I donno, something about this release really clicked with me. It's extremely restrained and totally immersive. Even some of the song titles on their own, like 'USA Brownfields,' approach masterpiece status in my mind. Evocative. Loved it.

As for a more 'vintage' HOS release, I think the FFH/Prurient 'Central Park Jogger' is one that makes the short list for modern 'essentials' and I think it goes without saying FFH's 'Make Them Understand' is a canonical release as well.

Eigen Bast

Old Tyme Lemonade VA for a great snippet of the early 00s providence / us noise scene

Some 'classics':
Whorebutcher - Libertine
Deathpile - GR
FFH - Make Them Understand
Viodre - Interpol Alchemi
Jason Crumer - Ottoman Black
Lussuria -American Babylon

Personally, I feel like the label 'peaked' around 2010-2012; seemingly endless run of excellent material from a wide variety of genres. The past few years have been more miss than hit, but there are still great releases (Skin Crime, Strom.ec, Orphx, Akitsa, etc.)

holy ghost

If I had to pick one best of release it'd be Kevin Drumm - Imperial Distortion 3xLP. But I love that minimalist shit and that might not be up your alley.

If I stretched it to a top 5 you could add:

Wolf Eyes - Always Wrong (maybe for me the last Wolf Eyes LP I really loved)
Yellow Tears - The Pissmop LP
Merzbow - Noisembryo reissue
Wolf Eyes & Sickness "There is a part of me you will never know" LP

Soloman Tump

Keen to get hold of the forthcoming Alberich album, hopefully it drops soon.
NATO Albumen and Cassette Works volumes are essentials for me.

There is a lot of the back catalogue I have yet to dive in to, so I will too keep an eye on this thread.

sml.lrs

Thank you all. Will check everything you listed.

totalblack

Prurient - History Of Aids \ all the tape releases
Skin Crime - self titled
Deathpile - GR
Macronympha - Melting Softly Into Time
Ahlzagailzehguh   - Bypassing Time Passing
Kevin Drumm - Imperial Distortion
Yellow Tears - All
VA - Field Tales (One of my favorite comps of all time)
FFH - Make Them Understand \ most of the tapes
Lussuria - American Babylon \ everything
Alberich - everything

I think most of the tapes from 06-12 are good generally, and also most of Doms projects, Vatican Shadow, Rainforest, Exploring Jezebel, Force Publique, etc.. all are worth checking out after going through the other mentioned releases

sml.lrs

Started with FFH - Make Them Understand, I loved it. The next will be  Lussuria ‎– American Babylon. Looking forward!

absurdexposition

Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

collapsedhole

while many of the earlier very limited tapes are necessary framework to grasp the full scope of the labels vision, some stand-out noise/power electronics releases that aren't too hard to obtain:

nicole 12 / prurient - love & romance
deathpile - g.r.
richard ramirez / flatline construct / prurient - collaboration
t.e.f. / prurient / richard ramirez - magnified healing
skin crime - case studies in early taxidermy techniques
prurient - the history of aids
macronympha - melting softly in time
wolf eyes - river slaughter
pedestrian deposit - vestige
viodre - interpol alchemy
ffh - make them understand
jason crumer - ottoman black
k.p. - archaeological
alberich - nato uniformen / pretty much everything
lussuria - industriale illuminato / again, everything - really every single release is top shelf, but i go back to this one most
yellow tears - don't cry
geography of hell - hiroshima 1945 / nagasaki 1945

its hard to pull off a good compilation, especially one of long length but i find these two to be flawless, essential documents:

various: field tales; 3x-cs
various: white eye of winter watching; 2x-cs

cool to see people listing yellow tears - pissmop lp - yes, the classic record for that band, but personally i prefer 'don't cry' - it's just so fucking dark, nightmarish & surreal

PTM Jim

I might as well chime in. I'll keep it in the realm of PE/Noise and won't name the essential re-issues put out lately. Some of my favorite stuff is going to be impossible to find though.

Prurient - Colonialist Nature And Misanthropy
Prurient - Lily Of The Valley / Return Of Happiness
Prurient - The Golden Chamber
Ames Sanglantes - Crackdown
K.P. - Archaeological
Shallow Waters - Equal Eyes
River Magic - Spring Thaw Brings The Fever
Age Of Enlightenment - Holocaust Adventure or Vampiric Treblinka
Force Publique Congo - All
Prurient - Cocaine Death

Already listed:
All Lussuria---Can't go wrong, American Babylon and Standstill being best.
All Alberich---NATO is the best.
All FFH---Make Them Understand is excellent, but I actually prefer the short listen of What's The Difference
Deathpile - G.R.
Skin Crime - boxset
Prurient - History Of AIDS
Jason Crumer - Ottoman Black
Field Tales
White Eye Of Winter Watching
Whorebutcher - Libertine
Interpol Alchemi

Soloman Tump

I see a few people mentioning Lussuria, I am unfamiliar with the solo works.

I purchased the collaboration with Alberich last year (also on Hospital, called "Borgia" but not entirely sure what to make of it yet.

Certainly a departure from the Alberich style I had become used to - perhaps "brutal ambient" could be the style in play?

totalblack

Quote from: Soloman Tump on January 04, 2019, 12:34:17 PM
I see a few people mentioning Lussuria, I am unfamiliar with the solo works.

I purchased the collaboration with Alberich last year (also on Hospital, called "Borgia" but not entirely sure what to make of it yet.

Certainly a departure from the Alberich style I had become used to - perhaps "brutal ambient" could be the style in play?

Lussuria solo works on tape are more akin to early 90s Slaughter prod \ cold meat dark ambient works .... essential are Garden of Seduction, Mists Of Our Silence, Sunken Meadow, hell all of it is great. However the trilogy of tapes \ 2LP American Babylon is a step away from the longform pieces, and is an incredible album. I personally didn't care much for the collab with Alberich and prefer both artists seperate.