Paypal alternative

Started by Leatherface, December 08, 2018, 10:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theodore

Does anyone knows what happens with Paypal Friends and Family option in EU ? Paypal's info is unclear. Here : https://www.paypal.com/gr/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#r017 says there is no fee for the sender, neither for the reciever ofcource. But if you choose the option you see this text : "No fee to use your Paypal Balance to send to friends and family in the EU." , which to me read as if you use your debit card / bank account there is a fee.

Earlier i sent a Friends payment in EU using my bank account, there was no fee. I remember and checked till some months ago there was one if you sent this way. For example i see a Friends payment from October 2018, to the same country as today, which i paid 1,5EUR extra.

I almost never have Paypal Balance. I use Paypal with debit / bank account. Does this way Friends option have no fee now in EU ?
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

Yrjö-Koskinen

They are a private company, they can do whatever they want. Also, I am a fucking idiot who should be deprived of clothing, food, heat, running water and telephony on account of these things being provided by private companies that can do whatever they want. Just thought I should insert that here, so no one else has to in case the thread takes off in that direction.

In all seriousness, it should be said that PayPal is yet another online product/solution approaching a near-monopoly, getting away with awful behavior simply because there are no decent alternatives.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

MyrtleLake

If in Europe, isn't an IBAN transfer possible?

Theodore

Quote from: MyrtleLake on April 27, 2019, 11:09:12 PM
If in Europe, isn't an IBAN transfer possible?

Dont know about other countries / banks. For my bank see my posts in this thread.

I suspect that probably an EU regulation forced them to not charge but they misguide users that it is for Paypal Balance only so their company avoid losses of small purchases done as Friends and Family or extra unpaid traffic. Most people dont have Paypal Balance.

I ll figure it out with future transactions tried both ways -boring to do tests now- , thought if anyone has more transfers done this way to shed some light on.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

CosmicWeaponOfThule

There are numerous alternatives, the problem is nobody uses them as everyone has become conditioned to use paypal.

THOUSAND YEARS EMPIRE

Salute

FUCK PAYPAL! They banned me for life with no explanation why. And in the transaction I've made (to buy or sell) there were no "sieg heils" in the message section. Would gladly find a usable alternative. I tried Western Union to make a payment to Ukraine and it was a smooth transaction but the fees were quite substantial. But on the contrary to what I remember Western Union to be (yeah like in the 90s/beginning 2000) as an option to send money a very complicated procedure with filling forms and shit, this modern WU transfer was actually very easy.

online prowler

I recommend checking out Transferwise. Only good experience with it.

https://transferwise.com/

Theodore

Was about to transfer from my card as friends / family. EU to UK. They brought back the fee for the sender. Even before Brexit completes. At least I hope it's only for UK and not for transactions to other EU countries too !

Ashmonger

A couple of days ago I did a transfer to Canada with friends/family option and had the same. I think within EU I didn't. I don't really understand why they would charge it outside of EU, but not within EU. Anyway, as buyer it doesn't make sense to buy something using that option anymore then, you're buying the charge anyway and you don't get buyer protection when using the family/friends option...