Most stripped down set up

Started by NaturalOrthodoxy, November 20, 2018, 07:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atrophist

Nothing extremely sparse and stripped down that I've actually managed to make work in a useful sense, but I did make some recordings that had nothing but the Rucci Minimal Drone (no pedals), a singing bowl and vocals (not my own) that were pretty nice.

Cementimental

Quote from: Duncan on November 22, 2018, 05:50:57 PM
All kinds of things to be done with that set up really but mostly it'd be vocal improvisations and tape fuckery into a mic or just acoustic. Might as well share this video where I'm using that set up for the first few mins
https://youtu.be/Gi_ejn0WVsY

Yeah this is great :)

Duncan

Cheers for the comments.  The sound system and tech staff at that fest were on another level which definitely helps.  I'll probably explore a similar set up like this using an amp and contact mic instead of acoustic voice in future.

PrincessHaultaineIII

One could construct an entire set with a Nintendo DS and the Korg-DS10 cartridge /// I own a little phatty stage ii, and the Korg-DS10 cartridge is easily 20 times more powerful and a twentieth the cost.

the Mater Tenebrarum Dark Interpreter synth is masterful. It has a wide variety of sounds for a single unit. It also looks aesthetically pleasing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK4pfB9Iq_w

The Particle Smasher by Electrolobotomy also makes quite a diverse racket for a single unit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4SusLL-nYA

There is a Teeth Collection 3" https://www.discogs.com/Teeth-Collection-Untitled/release/2244879 where it is supposedly one mic, no amp, no electronics, and the tumbler from a dryer. I am not sure what all that means, but the 3" is astounding.

"What's the use of frequenting Plato, when a saxophone can just as well offer a glimpse of another world?" - E. M. Cioran

duckworship

Out of all the harsh noise sets I've seen and put on, Hell Garbage from Florida is one of few that has made an impression on me. Setup was nothing more but a baby amp, a guitar, and a contact mic along with some other instrument, but had way more variety sound wise than someone with a table full of 20 pedals.

THE RITA HN

One of the most liberating things about having a stripped or semi-stripped down set-up is the fact that you find yourself ultimately being more creative with what's being run through the gear instead of relying on the gear for the creativity.

Cementimental

Quote from: PrincessHaultaineIII on November 30, 2018, 02:11:43 AM
One could construct an entire set with a Nintendo DS and the Korg-DS10 cartridge /// I own a little phatty stage ii, and the Korg-DS10 cartridge is easily 20 times more powerful and a twentieth the cost.

Yes!! Amazing that Nintendo released pretty much the perfect noise/PE synth :D

mosquito

I recorded a track earlier this year by duct-taping a cheap tape recorder onto the intercom speaker of an old rickety elevator inside an old school building that's been there since like 1900. I hit record, turned it on, got in the elevator, rode it up a few floors, then shouted my lyrics at the floor while I scratched at the lid of an aluminum trashcan with a carving fork. No effects or gear, no amplification except for inside the intercom system I guess, no post-process done save for me recording a sample onto the start of the tape from the news on TV. That was pretty stripped down for me.

Cementimental

I recorded a track earlier this year by duct-taping a cheap tape recorder onto the intercom speaker of an old rickety elevator inside an old school building that's been there since like 1900. I hit record, turned it on, got in the elevator, rode it up a few floors, then shouted my lyrics at the floor while I scratched at the lid of an aluminum trashcan with a carving fork.

very highly appreciate this technique and really want to hear!

mosquito

Quote from: Cementimental on December 19, 2018, 08:04:46 PM
I recorded a track earlier this year by duct-taping a cheap tape recorder onto the intercom speaker of an old rickety elevator inside an old school building that's been there since like 1900. I hit record, turned it on, got in the elevator, rode it up a few floors, then shouted my lyrics at the floor while I scratched at the lid of an aluminum trashcan with a carving fork.

very highly appreciate this technique and really want to hear!

Thanks, it wound up being my contribution to the Missing and Exploited Children compilation on Breathing Problem Productions. I may have a copy stowed away if they aren't still being sold.

Electro Surgeon

a baby formula tin and a stick..found on route to show
INNERCITY UPRISING RECORDS
AUSTRALIAN NOISE AND PUNK