What's that one indispensable piece of gear in your collection ?

Started by urall, September 13, 2018, 11:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteWarlock

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on November 12, 2019, 05:17:29 PM
Quote from: WhiteWarlock on November 07, 2019, 01:30:00 PM
Me... my spirit... my brain... & Eye... everything else can be somewhat easily replaced or substituted...
(you will realize this for yourself if start having physical problems and/or die)

True, unless you get into making some sort of installation art that continues to play and create music independently of yourself (which is possible).
correct yet it still generally requires "You" somehow... unless you personally train an apprentice... ancient method
have created quasirandomgenerativesequencer that can hypothetically play until something breaks or power goes out...
yet it requires me for doing the system setup & such... & anyone else would be clueless for the most part... unless teach them...
hmmm something for pondering... Thanks for the idea... haven't been thinking about such applications...
Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?
FreakMaker
SynthWizards/N01ZE

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: WhiteWarlock on November 14, 2019, 05:50:10 AM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on November 12, 2019, 05:17:29 PM
Quote from: WhiteWarlock on November 07, 2019, 01:30:00 PM
Me... my spirit... my brain... & Eye... everything else can be somewhat easily replaced or substituted...
(you will realize this for yourself if start having physical problems and/or die)

True, unless you get into making some sort of installation art that continues to play and create music independently of yourself (which is possible).
correct yet it still generally requires "You" somehow... unless you personally train an apprentice... ancient method
have created quasirandomgenerativesequencer that can hypothetically play until something breaks or power goes out...
yet it requires me for doing the system setup & such... & anyone else would be clueless for the most part... unless teach them...
hmmm something for pondering... Thanks for the idea... haven't been thinking about such applications...

I would wonder, then, what the true extent of your influence on the music ultimately would be.  You are correct in pointing out that you would still need to have the plan of how to make the system, and would, most likely, play a part in building it.  However, if the system would then go on to play music completely independent of you, I would think that the longer it does so, the less important you (as the creator) would become.  Alternatively, I suppose that one could also argue that the longer the music plays independently the greater the importance of the creator was - after all, they did make something that was able to operate in such a manner.

I think that Steve Roden did some art installations that center around this idea.  I will have to look into them some more.

doll

picking one piece is difficult. I couldn't imagine getting rid of my Moog DFAM and Mother-32. They show up on nearly everything I record. They compliment eachother well, and are pretty simple, but still deep enough to explore and find new things often. I don't see many PE/noise artists using either one.
baby doll
I am your dog

Into_The_Void

Quote from: doll on February 18, 2020, 07:29:15 PM
picking one piece is difficult. I couldn't imagine getting rid of my Moog DFAM and Mother-32. They show up on nearly everything I record. They compliment eachother well, and are pretty simple, but still deep enough to explore and find new things often. I don't see many PE/noise artists using either one.

I´m definitely interested in the DFAM, it has such a fat and punching sound. Not a very linear one, but really though indeed.

If I have to choose one piace which absolutely I cannot part from doing industrial / harsh noise, I would say it´s my Analogue Heat. Maybe it doesn´t have a strong appeal in the noise circle, still is an amazing machine, with a lot of different solution to characterize, enrich and distort the sound. Plus, work as filter and envelope generator as well, and is fully analogue. A real beast.
Beside that, I usually put a lot of Monotron delay, monotribe and MS20 (both share the same cutoff, which is incredible, and the monotribe has the noise knob which adds a lot of dirt when distort) and, doing harsh noise, my self made metal thing with piezo.
https://sabruxa.bandcamp.com/ (Industrial / ambient)

host body

Quote from: Into_The_Void on February 26, 2020, 06:16:24 PM
If I have to choose one piace which absolutely I cannot part from doing industrial / harsh noise, I would say it´s my Analogue Heat. Maybe it doesn´t have a strong appeal in the noise circle, still is an amazing machine

i love elektron gear and outside of synths thats gonna be my next purchase.

Eigen Bast

That new FM synth groovebox Elektron are doing sounds very interesting. Way more interested in taking that for a spin than the model samples.

As for indispensible gear...man I adore my trogotronic 657. Ive had it 3 years and it always finds a way into my recordings and live set up.

doll

I´m definitely interested in the DFAM, it has such a fat and punching sound. Not a very linear one, but really though indeed.

The DFAM is definitely worth considering. Its an industrial machine for sure. Great for deep pulsing bass, harsh metallic tones, and everything in between.
baby doll
I am your dog

host body

Quote from: doll on February 28, 2020, 08:48:39 PM

The DFAM is definitely worth considering. Its an industrial machine for sure. Great for deep pulsing bass, harsh metallic tones, and everything in between.

I'm really tempted to burn my savings for one. MS20 can do deep pulsing bass and harsh metallic tones and probably i wouldn't need a DFAM to make music, but it just looks so immediate and easy to make sick industrial beats with. With the MS20, i have to search for a sound, then record it into a sampler and do that for like 4-8 times to get a kit. With a DFAM it would probably so much faster.

Kim V

Same here, used both for most of the tracks on Your Truth.
you're just a victim of yourself

Modular Lazvig

Lyra-8 whole banks on my MPC are made of it.  Used in many ways . Whatever I do Lyra is there...

Stipsi

Boss oc2 octaver.
I use this basically in every set up i have/had.
North Central
Mademoiselle Bistouri
Daddy's Entertainment.
PERVERT AND PROUD.

Sektion1

An old beat up dynacord echocord, mainly used it on my synths to get a nice rugged and ripping overdrive

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: NaturalOrthodoxy on September 14, 2018, 05:11:42 PM
korg volca keys. feels like the only synth I'll ever need (outside of appopriating the MS-20 in the studio where I recorded my album)

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?  Has anyone else used it for noise or power electronics?  It looks really great for the price.

Soloman Tump

Quote from: Stipsi on April 25, 2020, 06:19:23 PM
Boss oc2 octaver.
I use this basically in every set up i have/had.

I pretty much always include my Oc3 in a pedal chain, so have to agree with you there.  Can get some serious tones out of it, and a great range from the 3 different modes.