Analog rack-mount mastering equipment

Started by scumwalski, March 26, 2018, 12:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scumwalski

Hi,

I'm looking for any recommendations regarding rack-mount equipment.
I'm toying with the idea of building a small 19", [n]U rack w/ old-school analog gear (such as tube compressors, tube preamps, tape decks, eqs etc.) to supplement my home studio rig. The intention is to run signal through it to saturate the sound with analog fuzz before running it back to digital recording equipment w/ high sampling rate. I've found that particular sound quality to be virtually impossible to reproduce with software.

My initial idea is to be able to divide the signal in two separate audio paths in order to be able to independently process subs/lows w/ bass preamps/compressors, and to be able to do the same procedure with mids and highs using standard amps/compressors. 4-channel I/O parametric eq also seems like a good idea. The cherry on top would be a rack mount tape deck for adding extra grittiness.

I'm not really interested in high-quality, clean-sounding, studio grade gear, quite the opposite. iZotope Ozone is good enough for achieving a selective, hi-tech sound.

Any ideas, suggestions will be highly appreciated. I'm looking for suggestions regarding brands, models, European stores where I can buy affordable 2-nd hand rack-mount gear.

Thanks.

Atrophist

Affordable ART tube preamps, dbx or Alesis compressors maybe? I'm not sure if running the signal through a tape deck would yield desired results, unless you actually record it onto a tape, and then record the playback again into your computer. I mean, of course that can be done but it's pretty time consuming. Analog overdrive pedals on modest settings might be worth investigating?

And here is a seriously ghetto option, but the sound is suitably crappy and the build quality is so shoddy it's almost funny. DO NOT pay more than 80€ tops.

scumwalski

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I actually plan to record the output to tape and then covert it to digital signal. It is going to be time-consuming for sure :)

Also, fuck behringer.