Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

host body

Lost Boys, Finnish documentary about two junkies recently released from long prison sentences who travel to Cambodia to do all of the drugs and fuck all of the hookers they possibly can. One is dies in suspicious circumstances and the other one escapes to Thailand to live on the streets, until the documentary director finds him and takes him back to Finland. It was very atmospheric and probably the most POWER ELECTRONICS documentary I've ever seen. The voice over by the director sounded like PE lyrics and the soundtrack was heavy electronics that could well work on a proper PE release. Don't want to give it away but the ending is super depressing, and something I did not expect.

Seriously, everyone on this board should watch it. Features a lot of heavy drug use as well as graphic sex. Can't remember when I last saw anything this nihilistic. Oh and hunt down the uncersored version, it has like 10 minutes of footage that was cut for the TV version.

ConcreteMascara

Saturday night:

Suspiria [dir. Luca Guadagnino, 2018] - finally decided to watch this, going in with no expectations good or bad. if you sidestep the trap of comparing it to the original the whole time I think it's a very good modern horror film and an example of what a good remake can look like. It has it's own visual language, it uses the story skeleton in a new way and the performances are generally strong. I like modern dancing and there's a lot here, although I could've gone for even more! I also enjoyed that this generally felt grounded in reality, especially for the story it was telling, where the original feels like a candy-colored fever dream. My big complaint was the use of digital blood spray, especially towards the end, and some other editing and visual decisions that felt out of synch with the rest of the movie. I also found Tilda Swinton's performance as the old psychiatrist very distracting at times. I think the audience for this is definitely smaller than for the original, but I liked it a lot.

I took the day off yesterday and wound up watching 3 movies almost back to back. can't complain about that!

Horrors of Malformed Men [dir. Teruo Ishii, 1969] - second viewing and more enjoyable than my first since I wasn't falling asleep. I really have to stop starting movies at 11PM after being up for 18 hours already... My understanding is the story crams together several Edogawa Rampo stories into one (maybe too many), which is why the pacing and exposition dumps are a little funky. But honestly everything leading up to the arrival on the island is a lot of fun, a nice mix of amnesia-noir and comedic elements. And then you get to the island and it's titties and deformities and reveal after reveal after reveal. I mean this movie goes hard. It's relatively tame compared to the torture flicks Ishii was doing simultaneously, probably safe to watch with the wife and kids. A quality family romp!

Gamera: Guardian of the Universe - [dir. Shusuke Kaneko, 1995] - I was really disappointed when I missed Arrow's Gamera box set last summer and it immediately stared selling for x4 the original price. I hoped they'd do additional, less limited releases and they did so happy day. I've never seen any of the Heisei era Gamera but I've read so many good things. Well I was not disappointed! For a movie about a flying turtle that fights monsters with its fireball breath and tusks it feels surprisingly grounded. It felt like the seeds for Shin Godzilla were already growing here too. The pace is brisk, the balance of science talk and kaiju action is perfect and tons of innocent people die. What's not to like? Looking forward to the next two films.

Tremors [dir. Ron Underwood, 1990] - fuck I haven't seen this one in 20 years at least. but I watched the shit out of this as kid along with the first two sequels. It's been so long I remembered some of the main story beats but none of the specifics. On re-watch as a somewhat critical "adult" I'd say this is a near perfect movie, and I can't normally stand Kevin Bacon. tight script, solid performances, awesome creature effects, tight pacing, it's got it all. goddamn this movie rules.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

aububs

love the susperia remake

it's like he remade susperia as zulawski's possession

NerveGas

Quote from: aububs on March 23, 2021, 11:03:36 PM
love the susperia remake

Have heard nothing but horrible things about the remake. Possession is one of my all time favorites. So maybe that will motivate me to check it out. Why they even remade Suspiria is beyond me. Didn't that dude from Radiohead do the soundtrack? Fucking weak.  I'm going in with a lot of bias, but I'll give it a fair shot.
MAGNETIC IRRITATION RECORDINGS

WEBSTORE - www.magneticirritation.com
CONTACT - magneticirritation@gmail.com

host body

Quote from: NerveGas on March 24, 2021, 12:27:54 AM
love the susperia remake

Have heard nothing but horrible things about the remake. Possession is one of my all time favorites. So maybe that will motivate me to check it out. Why they even remade Suspiria is beyond me. Didn't that dude from Radiohead do the soundtrack? Fucking weak.  I'm going in with a lot of bias, but I'll give it a fair shot.

I don't know if the disctinction makes sense, but it's more of a reimagination than a remake. It has the same premise and some plot points, but having seen the first will not spoil the remake, it's different enough to stand on it's own. I did like it just fine, it was good for a modern horror movie but naturally nowhere near the original. I didn't even mind ol' lazy eye's music, it fit the movie well. There were a couple of scenes that were really cool and disturbing, like one set in a dance studio. It's well worth watching, much better than say Midsommar or Get Out or other popular horror movies from recent years.

NerveGas

Quote from: host body on March 24, 2021, 02:11:33 AM
Quote from: NerveGas on March 24, 2021, 12:27:54 AM
love the susperia remake

Have heard nothing but horrible things about the remake. Possession is one of my all time favorites. So maybe that will motivate me to check it out. Why they even remade Suspiria is beyond me. Didn't that dude from Radiohead do the soundtrack? Fucking weak.  I'm going in with a lot of bias, but I'll give it a fair shot.

I don't know if the disctinction makes sense, but it's more of a reimagination than a remake. It has the same premise and some plot points, but having seen the first will not spoil the remake, it's different enough to stand on it's own. I did like it just fine, it was good for a modern horror movie but naturally nowhere near the original. I didn't even mind ol' lazy eye's music, it fit the movie well. There were a couple of scenes that were really cool and disturbing, like one set in a dance studio. It's well worth watching, much better than say Midsommar or Get Out or other popular horror movies from recent years.

Like I said I'll give it a shot. Being better than Midsommar and Get Out is a plus. What fucking stinkers those two were. Crap films.

holy ghost

Am I the only one who thought Midsommar was fucking great?

I liked the Suspiria remake too.

I mean when that dude fuckin' hucked himself off the cliff I was HOWLING. Like The Wicker Man but funnier.....

cr

Quote from: holy ghost on March 24, 2021, 07:36:08 PM
Am I the only one who thought Midsommar was fucking great?

You're not the only one, I thought it was great, too!

Haven't seen the Suspiria remake, but I will do soon. I'm a huge fan of the original, so I'm quite curious.

aububs

loved midsommar

amongst other things, one of the best depictions of taking acid i've seen in a movie

speaking of folk horror, this is incoming at some stage. 3hr documentary by kier-la janisse. apologies for the huge image

NerveGas

Watched the new Suspiria. Went in with an open mind. Actually liked the total change of aesthetic. None of the over the top Argento color. Grey and depressing. First 30 minutes were good then it devolved into total nonsense. The ending could have been cool if it wasn't shot like a 90s music video with fucking Thom Yorke playing over it. Ultimately though, I'll say that this movie should be judged on its own merit and it's not fair to compare it to the original. It's clearly going for something else. That something just didn't resonate with me in the least.

As far as Midsommar is concerned... that director can't make up his mind in regards to what type of fucking movies he wants to make. Same with Hereditary. By the books horror or super traumatic drama. And he doesn't combine the styles well at all in my opinion.  I see the potential for crossover and it doesn't necessarily have to be an "either or" situation. But Midsommar felt like it changed tone at the drop of a hat. One minute it's emotionally visceral and the next minute it's basically A24 doing a stupid teenagers making bad decisions slasher style flick. Whatever. I'll hand it to the guy... that cliff scene was fucking insane, and I enjoyed certain aspects of the ending. The rest was a total mess. Haven't seen it since it came out, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

MateriaPrima

Quote from: NerveGas on March 25, 2021, 02:10:54 AM
As far as Midsommar is concerned... that director can't make up his mind in regards to what type of fucking movies he wants to make. Same with Hereditary. By the books horror or super traumatic drama. And he doesn't combine the styles well at all in my opinion.  I see the potential for crossover and it doesn't necessarily have to be an "either or" situation. But Midsommar felt like it changed tone at the drop of a hat. One minute it's emotionally visceral and the next minute it's basically A24 doing a stupid teenagers making bad decisions slasher style flick. Whatever. I'll hand it to the guy... that cliff scene was fucking insane, and I enjoyed certain aspects of the ending. The rest was a total mess. Haven't seen it since it came out, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Personally I actually really liked Hereditary for what it was, thought it had some great elements and visuals. There were some real memorable images, some even iconic. I thought it had a great combination of eerie disturbing and unsettling elements, shocking violence where it counted, and some great surrealistic bizarre imagery and sequences. It really got under my skin. But then again, despite appreciating the genre, I'm not exactly a horror buff, maybe that's why. One of the reasons I liked it was because it isn't your typical horror film.

On the other hand I can't bring myself to watch Midsommar, the general feel I get from the trailer and the images completely turns me off.

TS

Quote from: MateriaPrima on March 25, 2021, 11:39:12 AM

Personally I actually really liked Hereditary for what it was, thought it had some great elements and visuals. There were some real memorable images, some even iconic. I thought it had a great combination of eerie disturbing and unsettling elements, shocking violence where it counted, and some great surrealistic bizarre imagery and sequences. It really got under my skin. But then again, despite appreciating the genre, I'm not exactly a horror buff, maybe that's why. One of the reasons I liked it was because it isn't your typical horror film.

On the other hand I can't bring myself to watch Midsommar, the general feel I get from the trailer and the images completely turns me off.

I liked Midtsommar. On the surface it is actually quite shallow, typical teenagers on holiday goes to shit kinda flick. But at the same time its very strong visually (style being a matter of taste). Personally I felt it was enjoyable enough on that level for me to let the plot take a back seat. The LSD-visuals were on point!

Finished off last night with Die Hamburger Krankheit. Not perfect by any means, but an interesting take on the whole pandemic thing. It's got a really surreal atmosphere, made even more surreal by the sometimes ill-fitting Jean-Michel Jarre soundtrack. Bonus points for the guy in a wheelchair waving a dildo around.
Kropper uten Mellomrom

NerveGas

To be fair both films had potential, and if I'm being honest Hereditary was the better of the two. But I gotta say they still both suffer from an inability to meld different tones together. Just feels like each movie is split into two sections with the latter being the regular not so special horror movie part. At the end of the day...  I'm happy to watch shitty horror movies. Perhaps this weird middle ground just doesn't work for me.

host body

Quote from: NerveGas on March 25, 2021, 04:21:50 PM

To be fair both films had potential, and if I'm being honest Hereditary was the better of the two. But I gotta say they still both suffer from an inability to meld different tones together. Just feels like each movie is split into two sections with the latter being the regular not so special horror movie part. At the end of the day...  I'm happy to watch shitty horror movies. Perhaps this weird middle ground just doesn't work for me.

Agreed 100%. I did like both just fine, but felt that the best part of them were those few scenes that really got under your skin, but what was between them was merely ok. There was not enough tension, which is essential to slow burn horror movies. Suspiria remake had great tension, even if it fell short of true greatness due to some not so interesting side characters and the ending being a bit of a letdown precisely because the tension leading up to it was well done, it just couldn't deliver what I felt was promised.

absurdexposition

Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com