Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

host body

Quote from: Potier on January 11, 2021, 08:34:48 AM
Quote from: host body on January 10, 2021, 12:09:12 PM
Finally got around to watching Possessor, the uncut version.
I think there's generally some misunderstandings surrounding the title of the movie. From what I've read the Possessor Uncut is just an alternative title. There's only one version...

Ha, that's a silly marketing strategy.

Theodore

I am on a mission to watch as much as i can from this list : https://www.discogs.com/Various-Criminalia/release/1208141

This night was The Teenage Prostitution Racket (1975) . Italian -ofcource- . When a movie starts with a grandma and her teen grandaughter hitchiking, entering in a van, and the grandma asks the driver if he wants a 'quick' with the girl, well , my expectations skyrocketed. Movie doesnt have a plot, it's parallel stories of teenagers going into prostitution. Nothing really good, but interesting to watch anticipating what's next, cause it has its moments of ... perversion. Couple doing sex with pregnant teen. Pervert washes his shoe in a bidet filled up with ... brown water. Then take a piece of bread, dippin it into that water, eat it and give to the girl too ! Etc. - Nice girls.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

Balor/SS1535

Black Legion

Interesting old movie about a midwestern Klan offshoot with Humphrey Bogart in one of his first starring roles.

ConcreteMascara

A couple weekends ago I was able to do a double billing of Edge of Tomorrow [aka Live Die Repeat] and Starship Troopers and I feel compelled to offer my stale thoughts.

Edge of Tomorrow [aka Live Die Repeat] - dir. Doug Liman, 2014 - my 3rd viewing and maybe the one I enjoyed most? I saw this one in theaters when it was released because it was described as Starship Troopers meets Groundhog Day and that's about as good of a description as you can get. Sounded fun but I was taken completely by surprise by how good it was! It's the slightest bummer that it's pg-13 as there's no gore, but honestly gore would be out of synch with the visual style of the movie, so it's not really a problem. I was surprised then as I am now how much I liked Tom Cruise in this part, considering I typically flee from any movie he's in post Eyes Wide Shut. I'm waiting for Emily Blunt to do another movie where she's half as badass... But the whole premise and execution of the movie is fun as hell, and for an action movie that nears 2 hours, it doesn't drag at all. As far as modern action movies go this is at the tippy-top for me.

Starship Troopers - dir. Paul Verhoeven, 1997 - I'm sure a big part of why I like Edge of Tomorrow so much is that it constantly reminds me of Starship Troopers. This fucking movie, I must have seen it 40-50 times. When I was a kid there was a year or two where I rented it nearly every weekend from Blockbuster. I just never tire of seeing handsome people kill bug aliens, all while drenched in smirking satire. And over-the-top gore! Can't get enough of that Verhoeven style. The "news" segments in this film do so much to elevate from awesome to indisputable classic. The one down side to seeing it so many times is that as soon as it starts I can close my eyes and basically run through the whole movie in my head. Still, like so much comfort food, I never tire of it.

If you haven't seen either of these movies and like having fun, I recommend them both. If you're too cool for Starship Troopers you may want to ignore all of my movie reviews.

[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Major Carew

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on January 27, 2021, 04:45:57 PM

Starship Troopers - dir. Paul Verhoeven, 1997 - I'm sure a big part of why I like Edge of Tomorrow so much is that it constantly reminds me of Starship Troopers. This fucking movie, I must have seen it 40-50 times. When I was a kid there was a year or two where I rented it nearly every weekend from Blockbuster. I just never tire of seeing handsome people kill bug aliens, all while drenched in smirking satire. And over-the-top gore! Can't get enough of that Verhoeven style. The "news" segments in this film do so much to elevate from awesome to indisputable classic. The one down side to seeing it so many times is that as soon as it starts I can close my eyes and basically run through the whole movie in my head. Still, like so much comfort food, I never tire of it.

If you haven't seen either of these movies and like having fun, I recommend them both. If you're too cool for Starship Troopers you may want to ignore all of my movie reviews.

I was obsessed with that film as a kid. I'll have to dig it out. Still got the VHS knocking around somewhere.

Nuke 'em Rico!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QmvEbphF8c

aububs

me and a friend went to see starship troopers in the theater when it came out and we both hated it. we didn't get at all that it was supposed to be a satire we just thought it was stupid. joke was on us, i guess we were too dumb for starship troopers

absurdexposition

Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

NerveGas

Quote from: aububs on January 28, 2021, 12:47:30 AM
me and a friend went to see starship troopers in the theater when it came out and we both hated it. we didn't get at all that it was supposed to be a satire we just thought it was stupid. joke was on us, i guess we were too dumb for starship troopers

I remember watching it as a kid and being totally blown away by how gory it was. I hadn't yet really been exposed to anything like that. Certainly not the horror/exploitation/gore stuff that I watch nowadays. Also didn't pick up on any of the satire being that I was in middle school. I do think I realized it was a bit ridiculous and over the top at the time, but the gore overshadowed that. Had a friend re-watch it recently and I think I may have to do the same now. I know I owned it on VHS at some point but I think I got rid of it last time I whittled the VHS collection down to more essential stuff.

Been thoroughly uninterested in watching anything new lately, which is rare. Decided to rewatch all seasons  of True Detective. Season one is obviously classic. Very few dispute that. Season two, however, I stand behind firmly. I was dismissive the first time I watched it, but after a second viewing it is strong as fuck. The only arguments against it are made by holding it up to the first season. Looked at on its own I think it's brilliant. I watched season three when it came out, but haven't made it to re-watching it yet. I was a fan upon the initial viewing, and I welcome the different approaches of each season. I don't need to relive the same storylines over and over. It is similar to the newest season of Twin Peaks. I'm happy that it went down whatever bizarre path it did. I don't need a recreation of its glory days. They can't be recreated. Would feel cheap. Obviously one could go into ideas surrounding the fact that perhaps that was Lynch's message (if he had any), but I'm digressing enough.

May watch Valhalla Rising tonight. Refn is hit and miss with me. When it works it's amazing and when it doesn't, his work is pretty terrible. We'll see.
MAGNETIC IRRITATION RECORDINGS

WEBSTORE - www.magneticirritation.com
CONTACT - magneticirritation@gmail.com

absurdexposition

Quote from: NerveGas on January 30, 2021, 12:08:38 AM
May watch Valhalla Rising tonight. Refn is hit and miss with me. When it works it's amazing and when it doesn't, his work is pretty terrible. We'll see.

Valhalla Rising is goat. I'd be curious to know which ones of his you don't like.
Montreal, QC

NerveGas

Quote from: absurdexposition on January 30, 2021, 02:32:38 AM
Quote from: NerveGas on January 30, 2021, 12:08:38 AM

Valhalla Rising is goat. I'd be curious to know which ones of his you don't like.

I may have exaggerated slightly. Really just Only God Forgives. I didn't even actually finish it. I plan to give it another shot if for no other reason than to have a more informed opinion, but I really just hated it. I also haven't seen Drive since it came out, so I wonder how it holds up. Pusher Trilogy is pretty good. Haven't seen the third one, but enjoyed the first two. I liked Neon Demon a lot, and as I've said before in this thread I thought Too Old To Die Young was pretty much perfect.
MAGNETIC IRRITATION RECORDINGS

WEBSTORE - www.magneticirritation.com
CONTACT - magneticirritation@gmail.com

online prowler

Quote from: Potier on January 11, 2021, 08:34:48 AM
Quote from: host body on January 10, 2021, 12:09:12 PM
Finally got around to watching Possessor, the uncut version.
I think there's generally some misunderstandings surrounding the title of the movie. From what I've read the Possessor Uncut is just an alternative title. There's only one version...

I faintly recall reading that the US cinema version had some of the worst gore cut. Most likely it was done the be able to screen the film to a larger audience.  

host body

It was very gory, some of the most stylish gore i've seen, so makes sense that there's a cut version.

aububs

i watched the uncut version of toy story 2 yesterday where prospector pete casting couches a pair of barbies

Fistfuck Masonanie

The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears

Beautiful homage and artistic interpretation of the Giallo film genre. Visually stunning to the extent that just the sheer detail in each scene is an experience in and of itself. The plot is extremely abstract, at least on the surface, and I can honestly say I don't have a grasp on what actually happened or even who the killer(s) were on my first viewing. The film feels like an Argento/Bava script directed by a surrealist.

The soundtrack also takes a unique approach and utilizes multiple artists re-working older giallo soundtracks into something new. Explained in detail here, https://thequietus.com/articles/18636-various-artist-the-strange-colour-of-your-bodys-tears-review. I had no idea C. Spencer Yeh had been chosen to track a portion of the film among various other artists before watching.

I thought it was worthwhile for the sheer experience of it all and hoping that multiple viewings reveals a more coherent plot. It's certainly an exercise in obsession and excess, so those who despise art that disappears up it's own ass beware!

absurdexposition

Quote from: Fistfuck Masonanie on February 15, 2021, 03:10:19 AM
The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears

I wasn't all that hot on the directing duo's followup, Let the Corpses Tan, but still plan on checking out Strange Color... eventually.
Montreal, QC