Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

absurdexposition

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on September 28, 2020, 07:45:54 PM

Scream [dir. Wes Craven, 1996] - My first time watching Scream, although I've seen Scary Movie so many times apparently watching the original was almost pointless. It's crazy how fully Scream became part of the 90s and 00s zeitgeist. I just kept laughing at smiling while watching it, thinking of all the things it influenced and was mocked by. it's kinda nuts. It's honestly a fun slasher and a weird time capsule of the 90s. And goddamn if Courtney Cox wasn't a hot as hell outside of Friends.

My first favourite movie as a kid. Watched it countless times on VHS in the late 90s and knew the whole thing line for line. I've only watched it a couple times since then, but most recently was the uncut laserdisc and I had a blast. Was able to catch more of the cinematic references too.

'80s De Palma

I'm due for a rewatch of Blow Out, but Body Double is amazing.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

CannibalRitual

The Mutilator [dir. Buddy Cooper, 1984] - this one was painful to sit through with its only redeeming quality being extreme gore of mediocre craftsmanship. It'll be a long while before I rewatch this but the gigantic fishing hook through the vagina was an unexpected delight.

Back then I had ordered it on VHS off some list just because of the title. Nothing wrong with this one, I love it!!

Strangecross

Quote from: CannibalRitual on September 30, 2020, 03:01:39 PM
The Mutilator [dir. Buddy Cooper, 1984] - this one was painful to sit through with its only redeeming quality being extreme gore of mediocre craftsmanship. It'll be a long while before I rewatch this but the gigantic fishing hook through the vagina was an unexpected delight.

Back then I had ordered it on VHS off some list just because of the title. Nothing wrong with this one, I love it!!

Yeah Frank, what you didn't like the theme song? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmvJSm7ttFg

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: Strangecross on October 03, 2020, 06:25:40 AM
Quote from: CannibalRitual on September 30, 2020, 03:01:39 PM

Yeah Frank, what you didn't like the theme song? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmvJSm7ttFg

Obviously the theme song takes it leagues above a Carpenter or Argento film but there doofiness of the characters was so overwhelming I had a tough time connecting with them on a personal level XD  .... nah I think I just need to watch it again with someone who will mercilessly mock it with me.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

ConcreteMascara

Lost Highway [dir. David Lynch, 1997] - this was the first proper David Lynch film I saw as a kid after his adaptation of Dune. My friends and I watched the hell out Lost Highway as teenagers which is sort of funny to think about in retrospect since it's a fairly weird movie, but then it does have a lot of classy nudity and violence, which probably helped to keep us coming back. Before last night, the last time I saw it was maybe 2011 or 2012 when I was in grad school, so I was a little afraid it wouldn't hold up to my fond memories. Happily this isn't the case. In some ways I think it might be my favorite Lynch film, aside from Inland Empire. It's definitely got to be the easiest to watch. I would say it feels a bit more tied to its time of release than other films, mainly due to the soundtrack which consists of Marilyn Manson, Rammstein, Nine Inch Nails, David Bowie and Barry Adamson. But instead of a movie that's trying to look cool in the 90s, Lost Highway exudes cool, most notably in everything Patricia Arquette does as a neo-noir femme fatale. And although I still see Bill Pullman as the President the USA only had in movies, he does a great job of being a miserable and paranoid lover having a mental breakdown. And then there's all the other shit I won't even get into for fear of spoiling something for someone here. So the shorthand is, Lost Highway still rules very hard and Patricia Arquette is so hot she can do a striptease to Marilyn Manson and it's still sexy.

immediately after I finally started Twin Peaks: The Return and now I finally get what everyone is so horny for. Strangely enough, it felt like Lost Highway was the perfect bridge between Twin Peaks, Fire Walk With Me and The Return, but I guess I'll have to watch more to find out if I'm completely off my rocker. Also thanks again to Lynch for never skipping on quality tits.

--edited a lot of typos
[death|trigger|impulse]

absurdexposition

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on October 06, 2020, 04:37:18 PM
Lost Highway [dir. David Lynch, 1997] - this was the first proper David Lynch film I saw as a kid after his adaptation of Dune. My friends and I watched the hell out Lost Highway as teenagers which is sort of funny to think about in retrospect since it's a fairly weird movie, but then it does have a lot of classy nudity and violence, which probably helped to keep us coming back. Before last night, the last time I saw it was maybe 2011 or 2012 when I was in grad school, so I was a little afraid it wouldn't hold up to my fond memories. Happily this isn't the case. In some ways I think it might be my favorite Lynch film, aside from Inland Empire. It's definitely got to be the easiest to watch. I would so it feels a bit more tied to its time of release than other films, mainly due to the soundtrack which of Marilyn Manson, Rammstein, Nine Inch Nails, David Bowie and Barry Adamson. But instead of a movie that's trying to look cool in the 90s, Lost Highway exudes cool, most notably in everything Patricia Arquette does as a neo-noir femme fatale. And although I still say Bill Pullman as the president the USA only had in movies, he does a great job of being a miserable and paranoid lover having a mental breakdown. And then there's all the other shit I won't even get into for fear of spoiling something for someone here. So the shorthand is, Lost Highway still rules very hard and Patricia Arquette is so hot she can do a striptease to Marilyn Manson and it's still sexy.

immediately after I finally started Twin Peaks: The Return and now I finally get what everyone is so horny for. Strangely enough, it felt like Lost Highway was the perfect bridge between Twin Peaks, Fire Walk With Me and The Return, but I guess I'll have to watch more to find out if I'm completely off my rocker. Also thanks again to Lynch for never skipping on quality tits.

Just rewatched Lost Highway a couple weeks back. Very good and I can definitely agree with it being a Twin Peaks "bridge".

Patricia Arquette in True Romance, too...

Currently in the midst of attempting a chronological David Cronenberg marathon. Already fucked up by watching his second short first, and totally missing out on Secret Weapons until after Rabid, when it should have been before Shivers.

Crimes of the Future, Shivers, and Rabid exist in this fucked-up Ballardian universe and I liked each of them more than I ever have this time around (first time watching Crimes..., though).

"Fast Company" is on deck for tonight... haven't seen that one yet, but after that it's a good run of pure golden-era DC.
Montreal, QC

NaturalOrthodoxy

Saint Maud

Saw this previewed at the local Cineworld before they announced they were closing, there goes the only reason I have to leave the house at the moment.

Saint Maud is scary. There are maybe only two "scary bits" but the entire film put me on edge. Excellent score and foley/sound design paired with a bleak Northern English seaside setting create a truly uncomfortable atmosphere. Not a groundbreaking film by any means but a really enjoyable Autumnal slow burn horror. Watch this in a cinema if you can.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: absurdexposition on October 07, 2020, 03:28:34 AM

In my family we consider True Romance a masterpiece and regularly watch it on Thanksgiving. It's a weird tradition, especially given the amount of sexy Arquette time, but it's our tradition. Hail Amerika?

Currently in the midst of attempting a chronological David Cronenberg marathon. Already fucked up by watching his second short first, and totally missing out on Secret Weapons until after Rabid, when it should have been before Shivers.

Crimes of the Future, Shivers, and Rabid exist in this fucked-up Ballardian universe and I liked each of them more than I ever have this time around (first time watching Crimes..., though).

"Fast Company" is on deck for tonight... haven't seen that one yet, but after that it's a good run of pure golden-era DC.

I've still got some gaps in Cronenberg viewing, missing all of the non horror films from his early years. I haven't seen Rabid in ages but remember enjoy it. But my hats off to you if you can get through the post eXistenZ territory. I fucking hated Eastern Promises and a A History of Violence so much it makes me mad to think about them. I don't even remember why I hated them so much at this point!
[death|trigger|impulse]

absurdexposition

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on October 07, 2020, 04:20:32 PM

In my family we consider True Romance a masterpiece and regularly watch it on Thanksgiving. It's a weird tradition, especially given the amount of sexy Arquette time, but it's our tradition. Hail Amerika?

Hope you serve it up with a nice slice of pie.

I've still got some gaps in Cronenberg viewing, missing all of the non horror films from his early years. I haven't seen Rabid in ages but remember enjoy it. But my hats off to you if you can get through the post eXistenZ territory. I fucking hated Eastern Promises and a A History of Violence so much it makes me mad to think about them. I don't even remember why I hated them so much at this point!

I remember liking Eastern Promises when I first saw it, around the time it came out, but can't say I remember much of it now. I'm not sure if I saw A History of Violence back then or not, but I wasn't feeling it that much when I watched it a couple years back. I am looking forward to seeing Maps to the Stars again though.

As far as early Cronenberg goes, Stereo (1969) reminded me of a Jess Franco film in some weird way (minus all the sexy times).
Montreal, QC

theworldisawarfilm

I just watched this for the first time last week and I thought it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen! The dialog in particular had me yelling at the television frequently.  Strong distaste for this particular brand of 'Americana' (See also: Wild at Heart which is barely redeemed by some Lynchian darkness. Barely.) Something foul and rockabilly in the air at the dawn of the 90's.

I'd agree, however, about post-eXistenz Cronenberg (whose early films are foundational for me) being almost entirely trash. Found A History of Violence and Eastern Promises both to be a load of wank. The light that burns twice as bright...

host body

Eh, I think latter day Cronenberg is good cinema, but definitely straight. He went from being a transgressive genre auteur to detached & stylish mainstream director, kind of like a thinking mans Christopher Nolan. I'd say his best "new" movie is Cosmopolis, possibly due to it being his own script, but I did enjoy Eastern Promises just fine. I adore Existenz, both because I'm a hot stinking scifi nerd and because I find him making a video game movie hilarious. Lynch for example would never have touched touch video games as a subject matter with a ten foot pole.

I suspect he somehow transferred the twisted half of his psyche to his son at some point in the late 90s.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: theworldisawarfilm on October 08, 2020, 02:51:08 PM

I just watched this for the first time last week and I thought it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen! The dialog in particular had me yelling at the television frequently.  Strong distaste for this particular brand of 'Americana' (See also: Wild at Heart which is barely redeemed by some Lynchian darkness. Barely.) Something foul and rockabilly in the air at the dawn of the 90's.

I guess you're not a big fan of Tarantino films then? Given that he wrote the dialogue for True Romance and it's fairly similar to a lot of his movies... It's certainly an American film if ever there was one. Different strokes for different folks I guess
[death|trigger|impulse]

theworldisawarfilm

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on October 09, 2020, 05:00:11 PM
Quote from: theworldisawarfilm on October 08, 2020, 02:51:08 PM

I guess you're not a big fan of Tarantino films then? Given that he wrote the dialogue for True Romance and it's fairly similar to a lot of his movies... It's certainly an American film if ever there was one. Different strokes for different folks I guess

Oh certainly. Not passing judgment on anybody for digging his stuff. But beyond Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction I can't say I care much for his movies. After Inglorious Basterds I started wilfully ignoring his output. However I did finally see Once Upon A time in Hollywood a month or two back and thought it was a pretty decent flick!

Balor/SS1535

I watched Sinister again last night.  It is definitely one of the darkest mainstream horror movies to come out in recent years, and the soundtrack always amazes me (loops, synth drones, samples, etc.).