Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bleak Existence

absurdexposition

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on May 07, 2020, 06:51:06 PM
Quote from: absurdexposition on May 06, 2020, 06:44:44 PM
I really need to revisit Don't Torture a Duckling. I think after the Argento classics it may have been the first giallo I ever saw.

I think it's one that really holds up because it's got more of personal voice than some of Fulci's other work. His big fuck you to the Church, to the superstitious country folk, it's not thinly veiled or anything. It damn near ended his career. It feels much more "real" or "authentic" than the aesthetic exploitation of other contemporary italian films

Rewatched last night. I fell asleep (seem to remember also falling asleep the first time I saw it), but all those points you mentioned are absolutely accurate. Very "authentic" feel.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Potier

Over the last few days I have been re-watching some of the Abel Ferrara classics - I guess the ones that are more well-known:

Ms. 45 - a movie I discovered way too late and that I now love. I cannot think of a better actress to be cast for the main character. Some truly epic imagery.
Bad Lieutenant - Keitel makes that movie work all by himself. There really is not much of a story but somehow it works. In a way, for me, the scene that starts with "your tail light is out" is something that is lacking in so many movies that fly the "dirty cop" flag. No prisoners taken. Nothing but damaged goods.
King of New York - Walken, Fishburne, Snipes, Caruso, Buscemi, Argo - drugs, guns, blood - in certain scenes to the point of caricature, what can go wrong? Schoolly D. on the soundtrack - very entertaining still.

I don't think I have seen any of Ferrara's other movies - anybody have any recommendations outside of those 3?

absurdexposition

Quote from: Potier on May 14, 2020, 08:38:58 PM
I don't think I have seen any of Ferrara's other movies - anybody have any recommendations outside of those 3?

New Rose Hotel is likely up next for me when I'm going back to his work.
Montreal, QC

Potier

Quote from: absurdexposition on May 14, 2020, 08:45:13 PM
New Rose Hotel is likely up next for me when I'm going back to his work.

Interesting cast for that one from the looks of it. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

NerveGas

Quote from: Potier on May 14, 2020, 08:38:58 PM
Over the last few days I have been re-watching some of the Abel Ferrara classics - I guess the ones that are more well-known:

Ms. 45 - a movie I discovered way too late and that I now love. I cannot think of a better actress to be cast for the main character. Some truly epic imagery.
Bad Lieutenant - Keitel makes that movie work all by himself. There really is not much of a story but somehow it works. In a way, for me, the scene that starts with "your tail light is out" is something that is lacking in so many movies that fly the "dirty cop" flag. No prisoners taken. Nothing but damaged goods.
King of New York - Walken, Fishburne, Snipes, Caruso, Buscemi, Argo - drugs, guns, blood - in certain scenes to the point of caricature, what can go wrong? Schoolly D. on the soundtrack - very entertaining still.

I would definitely watch Driller Killer if you haven't seen it. Bad Lieutenant is my favorite of his that I have seen, though.
MAGNETIC IRRITATION RECORDINGS

WEBSTORE - www.magneticirritation.com
CONTACT - magneticirritation@gmail.com

ashraf

All 80s and 90s Ferrara is good to great. Of the lesser celebrated, Driller Killer, The Funeral, and New Rose Hotel are top tier.

absurdexposition

Rewatched Fulci's A Lizard in a Woman's Skin last night. Excellent in every regard, just a little too long. The Mondo blu-ray looks incredible.

Also watched Bava's Shock with Daria Nicolodi and that creepy asshole kid.
Montreal, QC

Atrophist

Finished season 3 of Fauda last nite. Loved seasons 1 and 2, and this one wasn't terrible, but nowhere near as good as the previous ones.

What I liked about the show originally was the sense of realism (quite obviously I have no idea if it is really realistic, but it sure feels that way), but in this one they are just rampaging through Gaza pretty much at random, killing dozens of Hamas commandoes without breaking pace. Also the main character Doron (played by one of the creators of the show) is getting more and more annoying, as he has to always be the one who saves the day, gets the girl, has the tearjerking soulful profound moments, etc.

If there is a season 4, I'll probably still give it chance, but only because the first two seasons were so good. If this had been the first season of the show, I'd probably write it off. 

holy ghost

Watched 5/6 episodes of The Plot Against America on HBO - I'm not familiar with the book but I really am enjoying this dystopian nightmare of a show. It's really something. Will definitely check out Phillip Roth for a summer read.

holy ghost

Finally saw Parasite now that it came to my streaming platform. 5/5, definitely worthy of the hype surrounding it. Definitely one of the most interesting movies I've seen in years.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: holy ghost on May 31, 2020, 09:22:52 PM
Finally saw Parasite now that it came to my streaming platform. 5/5, definitely worthy of the hype surrounding it. Definitely one of the most interesting movies I've seen in years.

I have seen this a few times, and it is definitely one of the best films made recently (especially the ending!).  It totally deserved all of the praise/awards that it got.

BlackSunAndSteel

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on June 01, 2020, 08:32:19 PM

I have seen this a few times, and it is definitely one of the best films made recently (especially the ending!).  It totally deserved all of the praise/awards that it got.
Parasite is above average at best. Obviously camera & acting is brilliant but the story is just telling the viewer exactly how to feel about class struggle. No room for interpretation there. It's like being fed the message with a spoon. Also - did the son actually catch this super long morse letter just by pure chance or is this part of the imaginary ending? Please tell me it is...
Morality interests me little with this.

To say that its not real, well then my guy I don't know how to explain all that expensive modular gear I got these days.

I'd rather dominate then be moral in the shadows living by a code thats looking to be outdated.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: BlackSunAndSteel on June 01, 2020, 09:08:19 PM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on June 01, 2020, 08:32:19 PM

Parasite is above average at best. Obviously camera & acting is brilliant but the story is just telling the viewer exactly how to feel about class struggle. No room for interpretation there. It's like being fed the message with a spoon. Also - did the son actually catch this super long morse letter just by pure chance or is this part of the imaginary ending? Please tell me it is...

I think the son actually did understand the message.

A-Z

The Wicker Man (1973)
- totally forgot how awesome it was

The Wicker Man (2006)
- totally forgot how abysmally terrible it was

Midsommar  (2019)
- a bloated artsy-fartsy wannabe The Wicker Man