Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FallOfNature

a few recent watches with comments

The Killing Of A Sacred Deer - not bad, quite original
The Creature Walks Among Us - they fuck with this guy again and wonder why he's pissed
Green Room - average thriller, punks play a nazi venue and encounter some violent folks naturally. violence/gore is high
The Shape Of Water - Creature from the Black Lagoon bangs a chick
Moon - one of the better modern sci fi movies
Nosferatu (w/ Kinski) - best vampire movie ever made
Hellraiser 2 - extremely fun and competent sequel

Eris/Ostia

Walker (Alex Cox, 1987) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096409/

Comedically surreal and very dark political satire thinly disguised as western and set in 1850s Nicaragua. And based on true story. Dialogue has a lot of sample material for European heavy electronics artists criticizing US foreign policies. Highly recommended.

absurdexposition

Quote from: Eris/Ostia on April 29, 2020, 04:18:38 PM
Walker (Alex Cox, 1987) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096409/

Comedically surreal and very dark political satire thinly disguised as western and set in 1850s Nicaragua. And based on true story. Dialogue has a lot of sample material for European heavy electronics artists criticizing US foreign policies. Highly recommended.

I was in the perfect mood the first time I watched this and loved it. I'm scared to ever see it again and have it potentially lose its charm.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

holy ghost

Waco (Netflix): 4 episodes in, actually fairly impressed with how shitty they make the ATF/FBI look and how sympathetic they are to Koresh. I don't remember much about it and would definitely follow this up with some reading.

West World Season 3 - fuckin' hated season two, didn't really feel inclined to continue but my wife wanted to keep watching, fairly into this season's Blade Runner inspired plot.

Homeland - kept up with this one since the beginning and finally wrapped it up, can't say I loved the ending  but I didn't hate it either. I like the last few episodes they harkened back to the old timey cloak and dagger spy shit rather than just presidential politics.

absurdexposition

Quote from: holy ghost on April 29, 2020, 09:56:59 PM
Waco (Netflix): 4 episodes in, actually fairly impressed with how shitty they make the ATF/FBI look and how sympathetic they are to Koresh. I don't remember much about it and would definitely follow this up with some reading.

West World Season 3 - fuckin' hated season two, didn't really feel inclined to continue but my wife wanted to keep watching, fairly into this season's Blade Runner inspired plot.

I highly recommended watching Waco: The Rules of Engagement. Excellent documentary. I was watching it every anniversary for a few years.

Westworld... season 1 is incredible. I didn't hate season 2 - there were certainly parts that I didn't like, but there was enough of the good shit to keep me going. I have mixed feelings about season 3 but am glad to watch it every weekend.
Montreal, QC

cr

So, I think for Walpurgis night, I'll watch Las brujas de Zugarramurdi (Witching & Bitching) again. Will be great fun!

DSOL

"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

online prowler

Quote from: DSOL on May 04, 2020, 04:24:16 PM
The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh

Murder Obsession

The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh is such a great flick. Have Murder Obsession on my to watch list.

DSOL

Quote from: online prowler on May 06, 2020, 04:36:13 PM

Murder Obsession

The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh is such a great flick. Have Murder Obsession on my to watch list.

Murder Obsession was okay - I just started to get into/watch Giallo films other than New York Ripper and some Argento stuff

next I plan on watching Torso and The Case of the Bloody Iris next

I have some more in my watch list on Prime - if anybody has any recommendations I'm all ears 

absurdexposition

Quote from: DSOL on May 06, 2020, 05:34:10 PM
Quote from: online prowler on May 06, 2020, 04:36:13 PM

Murder Obsession

Murder Obsession was okay - I just started to get into/watch Giallo films other than New York Ripper and some Argento stuff

next I plan on watching Torso and The Case of the Bloody Iris next

I have some more in my watch list on Prime - if anybody has any recommendations I'm all ears  

Some of these are definitely better than others.

A Lizard in a Woman's Skin
Amuck!
Black Belly of the Tarantula
Blood and Black Lace
The Case of the Scorpion's Tail
The Psychic
The Red Queen Kills Seven Times
Slaughter Hotel
Spasmo
So Sweet, So Dead
What Have You Done To Solange?
What Have They Done To Your Daughters?
Who Saw Her Die?
Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key
Montreal, QC

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: absurdexposition on May 06, 2020, 06:06:24 PM
I love this movie but some people might find it slow and/or dumb. Definitely one to watch twice for max enjoyment. Also Barbara Bouchet is the ultimate giallo girl.

- Another absolute favorite. Barbara Bouchet as the lead is a huge draw.

These two kind of shit all over all other gialli because the writing and plots seem more grounded and also more fucked up. The police procedural influence really helps.

I'd also hugely recommend Fulci's Don't Torture a Duckling which is a rural giallo. And also has Barbara Bouchet.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

absurdexposition

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on May 06, 2020, 06:20:49 PM
I love this movie but some people might find it slow and/or dumb. Definitely one to watch twice for max enjoyment. Also Barbara Bouchet is the ultimate giallo girl.

These two kind of shit all over all other gialli because the writing and plots seem more grounded and also more fucked up. The police procedural influence really helps.

I'd also hugely recommend Fulci's Don't Torture a Duckling which is a rural giallo. And also has Barbara Bouchet.

Barbara Bouchet and Rosalba Neri are reason enough to watch Amuck!.

What Have They Done To Your Daughters? totally floored me when I saw it. Loved every minute of it. The score, the camera work, the writing, the plot, the pacing, the reveals, the tease of sleaze, everything.

I really need to revisit Don't Torture a Duckling. I think after the Argento classics it may have been the first giallo I ever saw.
Montreal, QC

NerveGas

Quote from: absurdexposition on May 06, 2020, 06:44:44 PM
Quote from: ConcreteMascara on May 06, 2020, 06:20:49 PM

Barbara Bouchet and Rosalba Neri are reason enough to watch Amuck!.

What Have They Done To Your Daughters? totally floored me when I saw it. Loved every minute of it. The score, the camera work, the writing, the plot, the pacing, the reveals, the tease of sleaze, everything.

I really need to revisit Don't Torture a Duckling. I think after the Argento classics it may have been the first giallo I ever saw.

Don't Torture A Duckling is one of the best. I would also recommend All The Colors Of The Dark. A bit different than those that have been listed because there's a psychedelic aspect to it. Stars Edwige Fenich and directed by the great Sergio Martino who did Torso, Your Vice Is A Locked Room And Only I Have The Key, and others. I need go rewatch The Red Queen Kills Seven Times. I have the blu-ray, but didn't give it my full attention last time I watched it. Seemed decent enough.
MAGNETIC IRRITATION RECORDINGS

WEBSTORE - www.magneticirritation.com
CONTACT - magneticirritation@gmail.com

DSOL

thanks guys!

I had a few of those already in my Prime watch list - going to look for the others!

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: absurdexposition on May 06, 2020, 06:44:44 PM

I think it's one that really holds up because it's got more of personal voice than some of Fulci's other work. His big fuck you to the Church, to the superstitious country folk, it's not thinly veiled or anything. It damn near ended his career. It feels much more "real" or "authentic" than the aesthetic exploitation of other contemporary italian films, even if some of the makeup and effects are little lackluster. It was also one of the first giallo I saw but I hope I'm not talking from rose tinted glasses but with some objectivity :P
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512