Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aububs

Quote from: absurdexposition on April 08, 2020, 12:38:33 AMInvasion of the Body Snatchers (Philip Kaufman, 1978) - I haven't seen the 2007 version but there is no way that this 1978 effort isn't the definitive take. Miles ahead of the 1956 version. It's damn near perfect.

don't forget abel ferrara's attempt. worth a look

PeteHarma

Watched Clive Barkers The Plague last night and i liked it,all pre-9 year olds fall into coma and wake up 10 years later...

martialgodmask

Seven Psychopaths - somehow passed me by until now but I like the mix of Christopher Walken and OTT violence. Bit of a second division Tarantino-style film, the comical bits get a bit much but the comes-full-circle narrative keeps it interesting and it's an easy watch.

Lucky Number Slevin - another one that passed me by and wish I hadn't bothered. Not a good outing for anyone involved.

The Magnificent Seven (2016 version) - so apparently this got re-made huh? The first two acts passed me by to be honest but the final showdown was worthwhile in the end. Not memorable for the actors involved except maybe Pvt. Pyle, but the sheer volume of casualties and bodies falling off horses and buildings and getting arrowed was fun.

By pure coincidence I've spotted a trend so might watch Se7en tonight to keep it going.

online prowler

Got 3 free Mubi 7 day memberships. Howl out if you want one. Lot's of good films running at the moment.

Seven Psychopaths is a quite good psycho action romp. Director Martin McDonagh have so far only produced solid films in my opinon.  

On another note.. Sure miss Keith's insight and film recommendations here. Film thread got a bit weak after him.

deutscheasphalt

Sektion1

Men Behind the Sun ( 1988 Tun Fei Mou )

Japanese terror camp using Maruta as guinea pigs. 6/10

Threads (1984 Mick Jackson)

Nuclear holocaust. 8/10

ConcreteMascara

Stalker [dir. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1979] - I had the rare pleasure last night of having the time and space to watch a long movie without interruption and the energy to do it. This was my first viewing of the Criterion Blu-Ray and compared to my memory of the Kino DVD I had it looks 100x times better. Not sure why that DVD version has held a high value since the Criterion release because this can't be beat visually. My fourth (fifth?) viewing of the film, I like it better now than ever. Despite being dialogue heavy I think you could watch it without subtitles and still enjoy it immensely because the visuals are second to none. as of this morning I could say it's maybe in my top 3 films, definitely top 5.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

NerveGas

Quote from: Sektion1 on April 21, 2020, 11:28:04 AM
Men Behind the Sun ( 1988 Tun Fei Mou )

Japanese terror camp using Maruta as guinea pigs. 6/10

Threads (1984 Mick Jackson)

Nuclear holocaust. 8/10

Threads is an all time favorite. Picked up the Blu-Ray recently. Been a while since I watched that one, but plenty of rough scenes and overall great atmosphere of desperation and despair. Interested to check out similar films such as The Day After and The War Game. Many may be familiar with the latter as being the source of many of Discharge's famous samples.
MAGNETIC IRRITATION RECORDINGS

WEBSTORE - www.magneticirritation.com
CONTACT - magneticirritation@gmail.com

NerveGas

Also, I believe in honor of the newly announced Criterion release of Come And See there have been some big screen showings of it in the city I live in. Sadly due to work and general life bullshit, I missed all of the screening dates. Would have loved to witness this on the big screen as I only have the Kino DVD release which is not the best quality. Still a killer, but can't wait for a high quality release. Looks like it's available for pre-order and will be available in June.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: NerveGas on April 21, 2020, 11:08:15 PM
Also, I believe in honor of the newly announced Criterion release of Come And See there have been some big screen showings of it in the city I live in. Sadly due to work and general life bullshit, I missed all of the screening dates. Would have loved to witness this on the big screen as I only have the Kino DVD release which is not the best quality. Still a killer, but can't wait for a high quality release. Looks like it's available for pre-order and will be available in June.

Never heard of this one before.  It sounds really interesting.

absurdexposition

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on April 22, 2020, 03:46:00 AM

Never heard of this one before.  It sounds really interesting.

One of the greatest movies of all time.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

NerveGas

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on April 22, 2020, 03:46:00 AM

Never heard of this one before.  It sounds really interesting.

Follows a young kid who joins the Belarusian partisans during WWII. Far from a standard war flick. Closer to surrealist horror at times. I believe in a lot of scenes live ammunition was used. And while I'm sure it's been mentioned on this board before, it's well worth checking out. A proper re-release was long overdue.

Links to two of the recent trailers below. The first is official and I suspect the second may just be a high quality fan made one as it makes no mention of the Criterion release as far as I remember. Could be wrong about that, though. Should give you a good idea of what your'e in for. Highly recommended.

https://youtu.be/QHqtBZVUsxo

https://youtu.be/aGdltVLfbmc

Eris/Ostia

Thanks for the tip on Come and see! Never heard of it, but it seems nothing short of perfect. I first thought it's a new film, but it's already from the 80s. Everything was better back then.

Speaking of which, and on to something completely different, I was a HUGE fan of Queen in my pre-teens and now finally saw Bohemian Rhapsody. It started out alright, but got nauseatingly sentimental towards the end.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Eris/Ostia on April 22, 2020, 04:03:37 PM
Thanks for the tip on Come and see! Never heard of it, but it seems nothing short of perfect. I first thought it's a new film, but it's already from the 80s. Everything was better back then.

Speaking of which, and on to something completely different, I was a HUGE fan of Queen in my pre-teens and now finally saw Bohemian Rhapsody. It started out alright, but got nauseatingly sentimental towards the end.

I was a Queen fan at about that age too, but I didn't care for the movie either.

ConcreteMascara

Saturday my fiance and watched the entire Chernobyl HBO miniseries from last year in one sitting. I don't know what I expected but it was brutal from the start. It's been a decade since my Cold War history classes in college so I couldn't remember a lot of details, so even though I basically know how it resolved (Europe didn't enter nuclear winter) I was still on the edge of my seat so to say for a lot of the stuff between meltdown and finale. I liked that the actors used their regularly accents instead of fake Russian, Ukranian etc. the music was ace. Stellan Skarsgård was a damn pleasure, but so was everyone else. it was also very discomforting how the Russian administration dealt with Chernobyl in comparison to how the US administration is dealing with COVID-19. The State's truth is the only truth the people need right? Also a total accident we watched it into Sunday early morning, which is the anniversary of the meltdown.

Started working through the massive backlog of DVDs and Blurays I own but haven't watched. A lot of them are lousy looking cheap horror reissues I won in a raffle, so I don't even want to watch them. But I've also got Polanski's Repulsion, Kubrick's Barry Lyndon and Lolita and a bunch of Criterion samurai films to watch. luxury problems. so the first two from the unwatched stacks were Carol Reed's Night Train to Munich (1940) and Keita Amemiya's Zeiram 2 (1994).

Night Train to Munich is weird one for two reasons. First, it's almost an alternate version of Hitchcock's The Lady Vanishes, sharing the screen writers, Margaret Lockwood and a lot of plot points/aspects. But that actually works out okay. Second, it was written during the very beginning of WWII and filmed during the first year or so. There's repeated casual discussion of concentration camps in a way that makes them seem just fine, because in fact the writers didn't know the extent of what they were at this point. Combined with the "fun romp" tone of the movie it all seems callous or brash, but truly the people involved just didn't know how bad the whole thing was gonna get. So it's a weird vibe. But it's also funny as fuck as there's lots of poking fun at Nazis in a way that feels like a Mel Brooks movie. Rex Harrison is really great and I'll need to check him out in other stuff. So if you want a fun thriller/romp that deals with Nazis, trains and fast talking Brits during the War this is the one for you.

Zeiram 2 equally silly, but for very different reasons. I think the best way to describe Amemiya's films are tokusatsu with occasional hyper-violence. they're not typically gory but there's always seens of extreme bloodspray. it makes for some strange tonal inconsistencies. his ideas and designs are typically very very cool, but you feel like you're watching a kids show a lot of the time. but as a life-long weeb it's pretty easy to appreciate.

Unforgiven well this one ain't new to me but it was for my fiance. My favorite western, she though it was extremely predictable, with mediocre acting and writing. certainly an interesting perspective on a movie that's almost universally acclaimed for its meditation on violence, pathos and nuanced performances. but i'm just getting a little defensive since I absolutely love this movie.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512