Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

online prowler

Anyone seen the new Jay & Silent Bob Reboot film? Looking forward to check it out.

DSOL

"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

EXU

Dolemite is My Name - It is good but I was expecting more, don't know exactly what tho, but it was just so "feel good/lightweight" that it seemed like a regular Eddie Murphy comedy... A good one, not the crap he is doing lately, but it echoed a lot of "Bowfinger" feel to me - a movie that I watched ages ago and really liked - so it was a weird viewing experience. But I do reccomend it in the end.

Iron Fist and Kung Fu Kicks - This one is awesome, the doc covers a lot of ground and could easily be 4X the lenght (would be great as a series). Even being so extensive it does not feel much vague because it is fast paced and audio/video are really well used to convey ideas and information, at the expense of the credit subtitles for who's talking that are so fast I could not keep up sometimes. Anyone interest in Fighting movies from oldschool no DTV and recent internet stuff will find something to like, I guess.

The Toys That Made Us Season 3 - Probably my favorite series right now. It is just non stop nerdy fun and nostalgia, even for shit I didn't care about like My Little Pony and Barbie (earlier season). Everything seens well researched, all the talking heads are wacky and interesting and even the worst jokes are passable.

Patton Oswalt: Annihilation - Ok. "Talking For Clapping" was better and this one does have all the gravitas with his wife dying and personal stuff but in the end felt a little "middle of the road" to me, not achieving greatness neither as comedy, dramedy or something else.

holy ghost

The Witcher - mindless goofy shit that doesn't take itself seriously at all - hugely entertaining!! I would read the books after watching this season. TBQH I really enjoyed it.

Netflix Dracula - actually pretty good. Watched two episodes this week and saving the third for the weekend. Not for "purists"!

Easy (Netflix) - some episodes were okay, some were really bad. It took me like 3 months to finish it but I somehow had to see a resolution. I wouldn't suggest it to my worst enemy.

Back to Life (BBC) - really interesting show about a woman getting out of prison and re-adjusting to life on the outside. I'm enjoying it, but finding it's a good story sort of diluted with the comedy stuff.

absurdexposition

Quote from: holy ghost on January 16, 2020, 03:13:04 AM
Netflix Dracula - actually pretty good. Watched two episodes this week and saving the third for the weekend. Not for "purists"!

It feels a little all over the place. Bang is great, though.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

NaturalOrthodoxy

Uncut Gems. An easy 10/10 for me. Perfect photography, set design, costuming. Totally intense and anxiety inducing story. A surprising new side to Adam Sandler, and absolutely incredible music by Daniel Lopatin (Oneohtrix Point Never).

holy ghost

Quote from: absurdexposition on January 16, 2020, 04:25:23 PM
Quote from: holy ghost on January 16, 2020, 03:13:04 AM

It feels a little all over the place. Bang is great, though.

Third episode was definitely out there. I did enjoy their take on it, it was super weird. Definitely had that same visual style as Sherlock which was pretty great. I dunno if I loved the ending but what can you do?

NaturalOrthodoxy

Quote from: theotherjohn on January 17, 2020, 09:27:25 PM
how come no-one is talking about John Travolta's performance in The Fanatic?

Yeah, eminently quotable  - "I HAVE TO POO".

I'm realllly excited for Parasite. I can't pretend I'm a film buff, I'll basically just watch anything A24 makes!

holy ghost

I watched Mary Shelley last night - pretty solid flick, although I was a touch disappointed the legends were not true - her losing her virginity in a graveyard, carrying around Percy Shelleys heart in a bag.... otherwise it was a very interesting film!

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: NaturalOrthodoxy on January 18, 2020, 01:19:47 AM
I'm realllly excited for Parasite. I can't pretend I'm a film buff, I'll basically just watch anything A24 makes!

I just saw Parasite last week, and it was really, really good.  It definitely deserves its nominations for best film of the year!

cantle

Was talking to a friend Friday night trying to remember the name of a film, from the former Yugoslavia featured a prositiute getting revenge of her exploiters/ pimp. Has any one got any ideas for it...?

absurdexposition

Slaughter Hotel aka Cold Blood Beast (1971, Fernando Di Leo) - a great ensemble cast including Klaus Kinski and Rosalba Neri fuel this almost-psychedelic giallo set in a psychiatric hospital. The score is a weak link, but overall this deserves a far higher rating than it has on both IMDB and Letterboxd. Worth it for giallo heads.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

NaturalOrthodoxy

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on January 19, 2020, 06:04:15 PM
Quote from: NaturalOrthodoxy on January 18, 2020, 01:19:47 AM

I just saw Parasite last week, and it was really, really good.  It definitely deserves its nominations for best film of the year!

Excellent! While I'm gushing over A24, I should mention that my wife and I saw Waves on saturday. Absolutely emotionally devastating slice of life, highly recommended.

holy ghost

Castle Rock Season II - Lizzy Caplan is thee worst actress. Her Annie Wilkes voice will haunt me to my grave. Kathy Bates won a friggin' Oscar for Misery, I can't even imagine her sitting at home watching this. Overall the show was ho-hum but I finished it almost out of spite.....