Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gefühlloser

Quote from: Harvest on November 06, 2019, 12:48:36 AM
Quote from: Gefühlloser on November 05, 2019, 11:38:01 PM
Quote from: Harvest on November 05, 2019, 10:45:01 PM
Quote from: Gefühlloser on November 05, 2019, 10:20:43 PM
I haven't seen it

then maybe keep your dimwitted opinion to yourself?

Nothing dimwitted about calling out the film industry for the shit it's been doing for decades. I'm not the first one with this opinion, and I certainly won't be the last. Ari Aster is a Jewish director. Sweden is in strange political times, and there are groups of "nationalist" types rising up around the country. What does the film industry often do in these times? This exact kind of shit. If Alex Jones is all you can utilize as a reference then you aren't seeing the bigger picture.

i am literally laughing aloud at my work. you figure E.T. was a ZOG plot to make me eat reese's pieces?

Product placement is another matter, and certainly has influenced people over the years. It's not much different than any commercial, but now a lovable character is doing it! Obviously some films don't have the immediate underlying politically charged message in the same way, and are just mindless entertainment. One of the main characters in Midsommar is named CHRISTIAN. I wonder what that might mean? A Christian being exposed to EVIL PAGAN rituals. The way you respond just tells me that you bow to the idols of cinema, as if cinema can only be entertainment, and nothing more. Meanwhile I can list numerous films, television shows, and documentaries in which thousands of people immediately felt were some kind of propaganda.

Nazi Germany used film as propaganda, the USA has used it as propaganda since before we all were born, the Soviets used film as propaganda. Films don't simply come out at random all of the time, there is frequently some dumbed down, warped view of something current in the social sphere in films, and stupid people gobble it up and ask "is this really a Pagan festival?".

Edit: Ari Aster is some guy that likely has no idea of Swedish culture other than generic (already largely debunked) ideas he's seen without questioning. It's a completely mindless film that doesn't say anything. It's utterly useless.

deutscheasphalt

Quote from: Gefühlloser on November 06, 2019, 07:48:28 AM
Quote from: Harvest on November 06, 2019, 12:48:36 AM
Quote from: Gefühlloser on November 05, 2019, 11:38:01 PM
Quote from: Harvest on November 05, 2019, 10:45:01 PM
Quote from: Gefühlloser on November 05, 2019, 10:20:43 PM
I haven't seen it

then maybe keep your dimwitted opinion to yourself?

Nothing dimwitted about calling out the film industry for the shit it's been doing for decades. I'm not the first one with this opinion, and I certainly won't be the last. Ari Aster is a Jewish director. Sweden is in strange political times, and there are groups of "nationalist" types rising up around the country. What does the film industry often do in these times? This exact kind of shit. If Alex Jones is all you can utilize as a reference then you aren't seeing the bigger picture.

i am literally laughing aloud at my work. you figure E.T. was a ZOG plot to make me eat reese's pieces?

Product placement is another matter, and certainly has influenced people over the years. It's not much different than any commercial, but now a lovable character is doing it! Obviously some films don't have the immediate underlying politically charged message in the same way, and are just mindless entertainment. One of the main characters in Midsommar is named CHRISTIAN. I wonder what that might mean? A Christian being exposed to EVIL PAGAN rituals. The way you respond just tells me that you bow to the idols of cinema, as if cinema can only be entertainment, and nothing more. Meanwhile I can list numerous films, television shows, and documentaries in which thousands of people immediately felt were some kind of propaganda.
...I bet you can't.

Nazi Germany used film as propaganda, the USA has used it as propaganda since before we all were born, the Soviets used film as propaganda. Films don't simply come out at random all of the time, there is frequently some dumbed down, warped view of something current in the social sphere in films, and stupid people gobble it up and ask "is this really a Pagan festival?".
Regimes using film as propaganda medium is irrelevant in this discussion. It doesn't prove your point (that this movie is propaganda) at all.

Edit: Ari Aster is some guy that likely has no idea of Swedish culture other than generic (already largely debunked) ideas he's seen without questioning.
You can't know that at all. You don't know his intention behind making the movie and depicting the imagery and story the way he chose. Also I'd be curious about any articles you know reporting on a mass amount of people being outraged by this portrayal of paganism which they perceive as accurate depiction of history. If your opinion is not based on reports like this it's just your personal feelings talking and nobody here cares about those.

It's a completely mindless film that doesn't say anything. It's utterly useless.
The fact that you're still arguing about what a shitty propaganda movie this is while admitting not to have seen it in the first place is absolutely comical and makes you seem like a complete fool.

muppet1

Recently watched Richard Fleischer's The Boston Strangler from 1968 and loved it. Gave me the same claustrophobic and bleak feeling as his 10 Rillington Place from 3 years later. Highly recommend 10 Rillington Place as well, as it is an even better film. Fleischer was prolific and his filmography runs the full range of genre film, making the lonely and cold tone he's able to achieve in these two (and I imagine others I haven't seen) all the more impressive. Also of note is the frank discussion of sexual violence, blunt homophobia of the Boston police force, and surreal stylization which crops up from time to time. Heavy use of split screen. Excited to dig deeper into his films of this period - the Wait Until Dark-ish seeming See No Evil, Mandingo, and the organized crime and cop dramas.

Atrophist

Quote from: Gefühlloser on October 31, 2019, 09:28:09 AM
I figure because it's popular I'll ask:

Did anyone here have any interest whatsoever in seeing Joker? Everyone is making this huge deal about it being representative of psychological bullying and physical abuse towards someone leading them into the descent of madness, and committing violent acts like the Dayton shooter or whatever.

I think what is odd about it though, is that it took Hollywood to make a really stupid film about a clown (everyone that admires the film was making fun of mentally ill teens dressing as Joker and Harley Quinn just yesterday) from an overdone comic book series, in a way that isn't actually the original story, for people to have this conversation, lol. To me it's just Hollywood banking on the boom in "incel culture", and in the increase in discussions about bullying, and making everyone to feel sorry for these people so that Hollywood can profit. Some ridiculous people are even saying that Joker represents the H'WHITE man in his own country these days. Some madman that has a feminine laugh because he had his gonads cut off, and so everything is CLOWN WORLD. When it comes to that then you know society is legitimately screwed for good this time.

Power Electronics has been dealing with these subjects for decades. Hell, just watch ANY documentary on ANY serial killer on youtube. Every single one of those killers were sexually abused, or treated like shit as a kid. If the real discussion is to be had on the psychology of the matter, why on Earth would a film like Joker be the one that finally breaks the ice?

Still, did anyone see it?

First film I've seen in the theaters in ages, a friend had some tickets that needed to be used and it was the only one that seemed even remotely interesting.

I don't even understand why it had to be a comic book movie. It was the same story we've seen before all over again, loser gets bullied and abused, then finally snaps and does something terrible. It's not a bad movie but also certainly not worth the hype, either.

Also, I absolutely hated Midsommar. I'll give it some credit tho: unlike many other films I disliked, it stayed with me for days after. But the more I thought about it, the less I liked it. I didnt like Hereditary either, but at least I didn't hate it, I just thought it was overrated and overhyped.

Strangecross

TICK

night of heavy drinking and whatnot so I will have to re-watch this, but it was a real film experience. ill give it 5 bags of popcorn and throw in a condom punctured several times with a hypodermic needle!
serious must watch for fans of z-movie and sov weirdness, but this one is truly unique in that field. Beyond just sleazy, really well paced humor with what I could consider (some) really true to life acting based on my time hanging out with druggies when I was in high school, even though the social service the film revolves around is pretty absurd.

bitewerksMTB

THE JAIL: THE WOMEN'S HELL

grade Z shot on video trash by Bruno Mattei. The first hour is standard WIP fare: showers, beatings by the guards, lots of nudity, etc. but the last half hour turns into a gorefest in the jungle with hootin' an' hollerin' men hunting female inmates then mutilating them when they're caught.  This is a dvd on Intervision/Severin; I may have to grab another Mattei film soon. I really wish WOMEN'S CAMP 119 would get a release!

I've also watched RED RIDING: 1970 and 1980 this week. Tonight, I'll watch the third film. I've seen all 3 films before & I think I've read the book. Definitely recommended if you're into sex crime-themed films. Despite being made for television, I think, these films are quite intense and grim.

WhiteWarlock

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on November 16, 2019, 08:47:55 PM
THE JAIL: THE WOMEN'S HELL

grade Z shot on video trash by Bruno Mattei. The first hour is standard WIP fare: showers, beatings by the guards, lots of nudity, etc. but the last half hour turns into a gorefest in the jungle with hootin' an' hollerin' men hunting female inmates then mutilating them when they're caught.  This is a dvd on Intervision/Severin; I may have to grab another Mattei film soon. I really wish WOMEN'S CAMP 119 would get a release!

I've also watched RED RIDING: 1970 and 1980 this week. Tonight, I'll watch the third film. I've seen all 3 films before & I think I've read the book. Definitely recommended if you're into sex crime-themed films. Despite being made for television, I think, these films are quite intense and grim.
Is this actually renamed Women's Prison Massacre & part of the Emanualle series?
was once banned from Youtube for uploading that Bruno Mattei movie long ago...
long before any great purge era
Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?
FreakMaker
SynthWizards/N01ZE

bitewerksMTB

[/quote]
Is this actually renamed Women's Prison Massacre & part of the Emanualle series?
was once banned from Youtube for uploading that Bruno Mattei movie long ago...
long before any great purge era
[/quote]

No, THE JAlL is a different film directed in 2006.

XXX

was lucky to catch the 4k restoration of Sátántangó yesterday. highly recommended to those with a similar opportunity.

DSOL

not a comic book fan in the slightest, but I've watched the first 3 Avengers movies (going to watch Endgame tonight) pretty cool for that they are. had to read up on the characters to understand the in-fighting and whatnot, I figured they were just good guys who fought bad guys
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

david lloyd jones

Just enjoyed the Arrow blu ray reissue of "Hitchin Hike to Hell "
Despite the upgrade it retains its grubbiNess and lof itself charm.

online prowler

Eyeing in on the to my knowledge latest Shane Meadows production, mini-series The Virtues starring Stephen Graham. Have anyone here seen it?

Checked De Sicca's 1966 Peter Sellers romp After the fox yesterday, it was a smurk blast all the way through. Watched a little of Schizoid anno 1980 a couple of days ago, but had to abort due daily matters. Was good, will finish later on. Kinski does a great shrink in this one. Cannot recall seing this since the age of Moses, had totally forgotten the plot - eventhough it is fairly transparent (anyone seen this series?). Funny thing which I did not understand until now, dragmaster RuPaul had a part there. Laughed out loud when I realized it. Bizarre. Also wolfing mondo films from the early 1960s through to the '90s. Gore, gore, gore. To commemorate Keith I have been going through all our postings here and writing down films I want to watch - either things I did not make or features I need to revisit. My mind is tonnage with things to do at the moment, so a bit scattered, but I do belive it was our usual suspect who talked about Schizoid some time back in connection with a re-issue?      

Next up is re-visit of Irreversible by Noé, This year's Daniel isn't real, Amici Miei aka My friends - a 1975 comedy by Mario Monicelli. Looking forward to see the 20-19 recut of the first said film title. Have anyone here had the chance yet?

holy ghost

I finished Watchmen the other night - I haven't been following critical reception on the twitter but personally I really enjoyed the show a lot. I really liked enjoyed each episode and thought the last one wrapped everything up really well. I hope HBO doesn't green light a sequel immediately, like give that shit 5-10 years. Overall it was great.

I'm watching this show called Easy on Netflix. It's okay. Some of the people on the show are really fucking annoying. Especially the fat dude in the open marriage.

I finally saw Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. It'd been on my list forever. It was pretty good. Fucking bloated. Like this movie did not need to be three friggin' hours. But I enjoyed it! This movie could have cut half an hour and it would have been just fine.

absurdexposition

Quote from: online prowler on December 18, 2019, 10:13:55 PM
Eyeing in on the to my knowledge latest Shane Meadows production, mini-series The Virtues starring Stephen Graham. Have anyone here seen it?

Nice, I'll give this a go soon. I hope there is a final installment of This Is England at some point. There have been hints of a final movie but nothing ever gets pinned down.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com