Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DSOL

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on September 20, 2019, 04:47:14 PMCandyman - my first time watching this one. it's much different than I expected. '90s goth while escaping a fair amount of the cheesiness of the era. Virginia Madsen is fucking hot! and Tony Todd kills it in every scene he's in. it's a slow build but it's worth it.

Tony Todd is going to resume his role in the upcoming Jordan Peel remake
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

DSOL

"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: THE RITA HN on September 30, 2019, 08:52:29 PM
QuoteSo Sweet, So Dead aka The Slasher is the Sex Maniac
When everything is deconstructed, it's easily the quintessential Giallo film.  Nothing better.
The real holy grail of that film though is the version called PENETRATION which has XXX scenes edited in.

And - if anyone's interested:
http://www.spectacletheater.com/black-gloves-and-razors/

awesome, thanks for posting! if I remember right, didn't you use the audio from this as the main audio on one of The Rita releases? or am I getting my facts mixed up?
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

holy ghost

Quote from: DSOL on September 30, 2019, 11:56:29 PM
John Wick 3- even better than the 1st two

I watched it the other night - I really liked the first one but the second two not so much. I kept hearing this one would be better than the second one but I was just sort of bored after the opening. I mean there was some cool shit happening (especially that fight in the library) but overall....

Currently watching Succession Season Two - I have probably said this before but I hated the first season - I still loathe all the characters but this season is just out of control in how shitty everyone is. Personally I think they've outdone themselves on this one.

Derry Girls - some episodes are hit or miss. The one with the formal dance and the Chinese student was a fucking riot 

Just finished: The Sinner Seasons 1&2 - it was "okay". Not amazing but more enjoyable than a lot of other stuff out there.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: DSOL on September 30, 2019, 11:54:50 PM
Quote from: ConcreteMascara on September 20, 2019, 04:47:14 PMCandyman - my first time watching this one. it's much different than I expected. '90s goth while escaping a fair amount of the cheesiness of the era. Virginia Madsen is fucking hot! and Tony Todd kills it in every scene he's in. it's a slow build but it's worth it.

Tony Todd is going to resume his role in the upcoming Jordan Peel remake

Jordan Peel will remake Candyman?  I never saw the original, but after seeing Peel's recent horror movies, I would be sure to check it out.  In fact, I would be pretty interested to see how he would handle a remake in the first place.

ConcreteMascara

Zeiram - 1991 [dir. Keita Amemiya]
I don't even know how I stumbled upon this films existence but I was buying a DVD of it and it's sequel within a week. Just when I think I know a thing or two about Japanese obscure cinema I find new rabbit holes to dive into. Oh what a glorious information age it is. Anyways, the film plays like a live action anime, although the related anime actually came after; not too far from what Guillermo del Toro's take on The Terminator might look like, but with some HR Giger and Tetsuo the Iron Man influence. The visual effects and aesthetics of the film fucking rule but everything else just barely exists to support them. the heroine is a qt with some personality, the other human characters aren't the worst and the big baddie absolutely rules. he exists to consume and kill and look cool doing it. a perfect bio weapon with a tentacle penis mini-head in his head. it's great if you like goop, early '90s cyberpunk and seeing drum machines used as teleporters and shit. by traditional film critic criteria it fails, but if you just want to enjoy a weird world with cool 90s electronic music and Japanese shit, you'll be satisfied. hoping to watch the sequel tonight.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

bitewerksMTB

Has anyone checked out Joker yet? Not a fan of such things but all of the trailers look interesting.

I finally took a look at a few UK Arrow code B blu's including The Thing and City of the Living Dead. There was a lot of criticism about both due to Arrow not tinkering with the color scheme much. From what I saw, both look excellent esp. John Carpenter's classic; Scream Factory didn't get a scan of the orig. cam. neg & they tinkered with the color. Arrow's release looks much more 'natural'. I can't wait to watch it in full. The Fulci is pretty fucking grainy esp. the outdoors scenes but indoors look very nice. It's maybe my fave Fulci film.

I have other code B movies like The Oily Maniac, Cure, Black Magic 2: Revenge of the Zombies, Savage Three, and will soon have a cheap copy of Tyrannosaur to watch while sitting around. I plan to do some reviewing-type crap on my blog, as well. Photograph the packages, etc. (noise, as well).

aububs

i'm going to see joker today. i'm expecting it to be bad. but low expectations can be good, maybe i'll be surprised

i heard he dances too much

aububs

it was ok. it's all in the trailer, really, if you've seen that. it's mainly good because of the lead performance but it's not a very surprising or interesting movie. it's good as an origin story. not to paint everyone who likes it with the same brush, but there's a certain demographic that will lap it up

i genuinely had a small fear that i might get murdered in the cinema, which was new

martialgodmask

Quote from: aububs on October 05, 2019, 06:08:36 PM
it was ok. it's all in the trailer, really, if you've seen that. it's mainly good because of the lead performance but it's not a very surprising or interesting movie. it's good as an origin story. not to paint everyone who likes it with the same brush, but there's a certain demographic that will lap it up

I think this pretty much sums it up. Good, enjoyable for what it is, strong performance from Phoenix but ultimately a little bit tame.

There's been a lot of hullabaloo about the violence but it's almost like the people most concerned about it haven't seen a "mature" film before, or they are expecting a story within the Batman universe to tone it down a bit because "OoH c0mix thupahero mooovi". Which it isn't.

And it certainly isn't the INCEL call-to-arms that I've seen bandied about either. I suspect most of the detraction will come from people who have read something on Twitter and in turn become an authority on it without bothering to watch it themselves.

Edit: I had no such fears of being murdered, but there were only around 6 people including me in the screening. On opening weekend. Bonkers.

holy ghost

Pet Sematary (remake): wow, what a pile of fucking steaming garbage. Up until the birthday party it was "okay". Interesting visuals, the actual Sematery looked good. Then they completely change the plot to some clownish bullshit, take out all the interesting stuff and you're left with a botched abortion of a film. The first one is terrible/campy/goofy as fuck but might actually be better than this one.

Firestarter: Absolutely awful, but great soundtrack.

American Horror Story (new season): Haters will say they're just ripping off Stranger Things but this show is so goofy I don't even care. It's preposterously fun. Really nice to see Emma Roberts and Billie Lourde in lead roles for this one.

Black Spot: started this French show on Netflix and really enjoying it. Grim dying small industrial town riddled with crime (and... a haunted forest?!?). Good cast, definitely excited to catch a few more episodes.

A-Z

went to see joker because my wife wanted to
Joaquin Phoenix did a great job
other than that it is an attempt to produce Taxi Driver, but based on an IP aimed at junior schoolers
quite predictably, did not work out too well

absurdexposition

Last night at home was The Hills Have Eyes and today at the cinema was Cannibal Holocaust.

2/2 would repeat.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: A-Z on October 06, 2019, 11:10:29 PM
went to see joker because my wife wanted to
Joaquin Phoenix did a great job
other than that it is an attempt to produce Taxi Driver, but based on an IP aimed at junior schoolers
quite predictably, did not work out too well

I really want to see this movie , but your review seems to be the standard (a few newspapers that I read said the same).  It's a shame that the rest of the move apparently could not live up to the quality of Phoenix's acting abilities.

aububs

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on October 04, 2019, 08:56:40 PM
Zeiram - 1991 [dir. Keita Amemiya]
I don't even know how I stumbled upon this films existence but I was buying a DVD of it and it's sequel within a week. Just when I think I know a thing or two about Japanese obscure cinema I find new rabbit holes to dive into. Oh what a glorious information age it is. Anyways, the film plays like a live action anime, although the related anime actually came after; not too far from what Guillermo del Toro's take on The Terminator might look like, but with some HR Giger and Tetsuo the Iron Man influence. The visual effects and aesthetics of the film fucking rule but everything else just barely exists to support them. the heroine is a qt with some personality, the other human characters aren't the worst and the big baddie absolutely rules. he exists to consume and kill and look cool doing it. a perfect bio weapon with a tentacle penis mini-head in his head. it's great if you like goop, early '90s cyberpunk and seeing drum machines used as teleporters and shit. by traditional film critic criteria it fails, but if you just want to enjoy a weird world with cool 90s electronic music and Japanese shit, you'll be satisfied. hoping to watch the sequel tonight.

the anime is better than the live action movie imo

zeiram is fun for all the reasons you mention tho