Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holy ghost

Started watching Years and Years last night. I thought they did a great job of capturing the "dystopian future" we're all expecting. It seemed almost like a overly complicated Black Mirror episode at first but by the end of episode one I was hooked. Looking forward to the rest of them.

DSOL

Midsommar was not as good as Hereditary (which I give a 10/10) but was still a good movie. would give it a 8/10
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

cr

Thanks all for those recommended series. Will try to watch most of them. Not sure about Sabrina to be honest, haha. But I must admit I also watched some episodes many years ago, and yes, I think it was funny... In my opinion, only regular Sabrina watchers can get the full edgelord PE points!

DSOL

the new Sabrina show/series is completely different than the original - much darker and not very "kid" friendly. I watched both seasons (so far) and thought it was decent for what it was, which is just basically a teen drama with a lot of dark/satanic/witchcraft overtones...unless Holy Ghost is talking about the original series - then just ignore this

cr

I liked Hereditary as well, so now I'm really interested in Midsommar.

cr

Quote from: DSOL on July 05, 2019, 07:51:27 PM
the new Sabrina show/series is completely different than the original - much darker and not very "kid" friendly. I watched both seasons (so far) and thought it was decent for what it was, which is just basically a teen drama with a lot of dark/satanic/witchcraft overtones...unless Holy Ghost is talking about the original series - then just ignore this

Ah ok, then sorry for my ignorance. I didn't know there was a new Sabrina series, I only know the one from the end of the nineties.

DSOL

Theodore

Two from Jess Franco with Soledad Miranda beauty, Vampyros Lesbos and Eugenie de Sade (1973) -aka Eugenie Sex Happening- . I like Eugenie better. Better movie, story and Soledad more sexy in the role of daughter.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

absurdexposition

Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

ConcreteMascara

saw "Midsommar" over the weekend and I really enjoyed it as well. as someone who has taken a lot of mushrooms and LSD over the years, I think they conveyed tripping pretty successfully without going over the top. visually the film is a pleasure and the gore is top-notch. I didn't find any of the characters to be sympathetic so I enjoyed what came to them that much more. final verdict, if you like "The Wicker Man" but want those hippy-dippy vibes out of it, this is the movie for you.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Acne

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on July 09, 2019, 05:14:51 PM
saw "Midsommar" over the weekend and I really enjoyed it as well. as someone who has taken a lot of mushrooms and LSD over the years, I think they conveyed tripping pretty successfully without going over the top. visually the film is a pleasure and the gore is top-notch. I didn't find any of the characters to be sympathetic so I enjoyed what came to them that much more. final verdict, if you like "The Wicker Man" but want those hippy-dippy vibes out of it, this is the movie for you.

sound editing/score was awesome as well - haxan cloak really getting noisy with some strings

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: Acne on July 10, 2019, 02:42:34 PM
Quote from: ConcreteMascara on July 09, 2019, 05:14:51 PM

sound editing/score was awesome as well - haxan cloak really getting noisy with some strings

huh I did not realize he did the score. I couldn't ever get too excited about his solo work but I guess he does better scoring an actual film instead of an imaginary one?
[death|trigger|impulse]

ConcreteMascara

"Yakuza Law" (1969, Teruo Ishii)
After a month break I'm getting back to the last few DVDs/BluRay of Teruo Ishii I picked up this year. I feel there is a slight issue here, similar to Miike's "Dead or Alive" where the title sequence's montage of extreme violence is the high-point of the film. while it's not really true of either film, the immediate visceral high is hard to meet. "Yakuza Law" is a series of 3 vignettes, each one better than the last (much like "Orgies of Edo"), each full of finger removal, eye-gougings, and frequent bitch-slapping of men and women. much too my surprise there's very little sexual assault and only one brief instance of tit licking, which is goddamn Japanese staple! the vignettes are kinda hard to follow as each are filled with flashbacks with little to distinguish between the current time lines and the past. but ask yourself, are you here for plot driven drama or the fountains of blood and extremity removal?
[death|trigger|impulse]

holy ghost

I binged the third season of Stranger Things - first was good, second season was a pretty huge letdown and this one was fucking great. Great to see them bounce back.

bitewerksMTB

Last night was John Woo's The Killer, gothic Euro-horror The Devil's Nightmare, followed by Fulci's The Black Cat.