Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cr

Quote from: holy ghost on June 27, 2019, 10:48:17 PM
I watched Murder Mystery on Netflix and I'm pretty surprised that I laughed my fuckin' ass off with a movie starring Jennifer Anniston and Adam Sandler with a moustache. But here we are!

ha yeah i loved murder mystery too

was exactly what i needed last friday night

Really? But I think it doesn't matter, I need a good laugh anyway, so I'll watch this.

By the way - any recommended series at the moment? Lots of talk about Chernobyl here and there, so I think this would be good.
I'm absolutely no expert in contemporary series - I started The Man in the High Castle and The Fall yesterday, because they were mentioned somewhere. What else is worth watching in the dark chamber to overcome the heat until winter? Thanks for any recommendations!

aububs

chernobyl, good
the terror, good
atlanta, good
the deuce, good
barry, real good
the assassination of gianni versace, real good
p'tit quinquin + coin coin & the extra humans, real good
too old to die young, real good
twin peaks the return, mind altering

aububs

new peter strickland movie is great. he's currently hitting four for four.

holy ghost

These are the shows I've really enjoyed, I'd reference to CRs inquiry.

The Deuce - great so far
Chernobyl - GREAT
Mindhunter - GREAT
Sabrina the Teenage Witch - I loved it - I will probably lose sketchy edgelord PE points here but what can I say, it was hella fun
Billions - hella fun trash about rich assholes
Homeland - my favourite show in the last decade

I did not enjoy The Man in the High Castle - maybe had I not read the book?
I am also not enjoying Good Omens - I loved the book but overall the show is diverting wildly and losing all the charm of the book. Will I try Good Omens? Maybe....

dodecaphonic

Quote from: aububs on June 30, 2019, 03:48:44 AM

i hope its better then barberian sound studio that was terrible

ConcreteMascara

double feature last night with:
Ruggero Deodato's "House on the Edge of the Park" (1980) This was my second viewing, the first being 3 or 4 years ago. I didn't like it very much the first time but that poster art is soo goddamn good I had to give it another chance. Plus David Hess. "enjoyed" it much more on second viewing. but it also left me wondering what it says about me as viewer to enjoy a film which is essentially 75 minutes of protracted sexual assault and violence. it's bad vibes through and through with no socially redeeming quality. my buddy was nonplussed; my girlfriend and his wife were both thoroughly displeased with it. I had no defense to mount. it's exploitation in the purest sense.

to ease the tension in the room we watched Arrow's Bluray version of "Bride of Re-Animator" (1990) which is just easy fun. It's not as amazing as the first film but it's still really damn good and suffers little from sequelitis. re-animated flesh monsters injected with glowstick green juice will never not rule. and all of the females are hot. except the re-animated old lady. recommended for anytime viewing.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

aububs

Quote from: dodecaphonic on July 01, 2019, 02:51:32 PM

berberian sound studio was one of the best movies of whatever year it came out

you won't like his new one

dodecaphonic

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on July 01, 2019, 07:20:24 PM
double feature last night with:
Ruggero Deodato's "House on the Edge of the Park" (1980) This was my second viewing, the first being 3 or 4 years ago.

is a great film! the sound design in that film is awesome esp, that pool scene -

im pretty sure atrax morgue was influenced by this film, i remember reading somewhere he liked it.

sounds like kind of an awkward group viewing.

dodecaphonic

Quote from: aububs on July 01, 2019, 07:40:53 PM
Quote from: dodecaphonic on July 01, 2019, 02:51:32 PM

berberian sound studio was one of the best movies of whatever year it came out

you won't like his new one

maybe i'll check it out,

I just couldn't get into barberian sound studio, just the way it felt, looked and sounded -

A-Z

berberian is a love letter to italian "weird" cinema of the 70s & early 80s
and it does its pastiche/tribute thing pretty well imo
it could be difficult to watch if one approaches it expecting something other than that though

also an anecdote on topic of ruggero deodato:
jess franco thought deodato was a nice guy but criticised him for making movies that are too violent and overall mean

if your significant others don't dig deodato, next time watch something by kindly grandpa jesús, you guys!

absurdexposition

The Psychic (1977, Fulci)
A great "supernatural giallo".

Tights Worship: Inside the Practices of The Rita (2019, Mike McKinlay)
Amazing short doc on THE RITA. Directed by Sam's brother and produced by Kier-La Janisse (House of Psychotic Women) for byNWR - a curated media site by Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive, Valhalla Rising, Pusher trilogy, etc). Refn is one of my favourite directors, and it's amazing that this connection now exists.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

DSOL

going to see Midsommar tonight - really looking forward to it since Hereditary was one of the better horror movies to come out in the last 5 years
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

ConcreteMascara

last night was my first viewing of "Peopletoys" aka "Devil Times Five" aka "The Horrible House on the Hill" from 1974. a "killer children" film that was a lot of fun despite some highly annoying editing decisions. especially a 5+ minute kill scene in sepia tone and slow motion that was engaging as watching paint dry. I don't want to spoil anything but the kills get very creative after the first, there are some grade A titties and the children are absolutely ruthless. also my personal favorite effect in any film, there's a man on fire sequence. actually a woman in this one. ANY movie that has a man on fire sequence gets a big ratings bump from me. it's a lot of fun and definitely worth a watch.

Monday night was "Superstition" aka "The Witch" from 1982. This one also had some awesome kills but the brutally bad acting combined with the shoe-string budget made it difficult to get through in one sitting. all the elements of a better schlock film are there but it just doesn't come together all the way. however, more than one priest dies an gory fashion so I can't totally disregard it. but of the two, my recommendation is definitely for "Peopletoys".
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

bitewerksMTB

"...a 5+ minute kill scene in sepia tone and slow motion that was engaging as watching paint dry"

What?!? That's the best scene in the whole movie! If you're so inclined, the Blu-ray looks much better than the dvd. I grabbed a copy when Screen Archives or DiabolikDVD had it on sale.

I haven't watched anything lately. Pre-ordered two movies I've never heard of from Mondo Macabro: Killer of Dolls and Woman Chasing the Butterfly of Death.

A-Z

Carne de tu carne (1983)
can't find a way to describe the plot without spoiling too much
wiki labels the directors other film as 'Tropical gothic' and that label fits this one pretty well too
deep dark powers of the psyche unleashed in 1950s Colombia yadda yadda yadda
'dedicated to Roman Polanski and Roger Corman' by the director, and both influences are very evident in the film
I'd also add Ken Russel to the list
technically limited at times, but original, stylish, smart, well written and well acted
unequivocal thumbs up!