Special Interest
July 18, 2019, 05:00:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 172 173 174 175 176 177 [178] 179 180 181 182 183 184
  Print  
Author Topic: Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.  (Read 620798 times)
absurdexposition
Diehard user

« Reply #2655 on: May 20, 2019, 06:21:54 PM »

last night was the Shameless Blu-Ray of "Four Flies on Grey Velvet" by Dario Argento. One of only two films between 1970 and 1987 by Argento I hadn't seen, I was admittedly a little disappointed. Part of it was the transfer which didn't look good to my eyes. Looked like the whole film had a beige filter on it it which made all of the characters look sick and not in a cool way. And the central blackmailing plot was just not very engaging.

I'd rank this one pretty low in the early Argento category as well, largely unengaging, almost right from the get-go. I seem to remember the transfer I saw having a "beige" look to it, too, but just skimmed through it and it looks "normal".

Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Primitive Isolation Tactics
moozz
user

« Reply #2656 on: May 21, 2019, 11:16:17 AM »

Rewatched The Strange Vice Of Mrs. Wardh. Great giallo from 1971. Any scene with Edwige Fenech is great. Some tasty nudity and throat slashing. Not everything makes 100% sense but Italian cinema is not really known for watertight plots.
Hemwick
moderate user

« Reply #2657 on: May 23, 2019, 05:56:56 PM »

Watched Gozu for the third time and still not quite sure what I watched.  It's a great film but sometimes I feel Miike just tries to out due himself
bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2658 on: May 23, 2019, 09:59:40 PM »

Rewatched The Strange Vice Of Mrs. Wardh. Great giallo from 1971. Any scene with Edwige Fenech is great. Some tasty nudity and throat slashing. Not everything makes 100% sense but Italian cinema is not really known for watertight plots.

The last time I watched S.V. it played like a soap opera to me. Not sure why as previous viewings, I always liked it. I've got a hunch that Arrow or Severin is bound to release a Blu-ray  sooner or later. You know someone has to be looking into it.

This past Saturday night, I watched Andrea Bianchi's trash-giallo, Strip Nude for Your Killer. It's a fun one & the Arrow release has a good docu. about Edwige F. though it's mostly about her unseen Italian comedies.
online prowler
Diehard user

« Reply #2659 on: May 23, 2019, 10:05:35 PM »

re-watched John Wick I & II, a little refresh before I go see the 3rd one
- I wish more cop shows had this noir/LA vibe to them.

True detective season 2
holy ghost
Heavy user

« Reply #2660 on: May 24, 2019, 01:46:58 PM »

True detective season 2

Hmmm, I really tried with that one - I wasn’t crazy about season 3 either. But thank you for your support.

I watched Pet Sematary last night - hadn’t seen it since I was a kid. So goofy. There were a few great scenes. It’s ridiculous to try to do a Stephen King novel justice since his whole write technique is characters grappling with their inner monologue. But hey seeing a 2 year old kid slash an old mans ankle really made my night.
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #2661 on: May 24, 2019, 03:34:03 PM »

True detective season 2

Hmmm, I really tried with that one - I wasn’t crazy about season 3 either. But thank you for your support.

I didn't think season 2 was as bad as everyone made it out to be but I do think it shouldn't have been "True Detective", it should have just been its own mini-series. and they should have done a lot less of those overhead highway shots. But I thought Season 3 was really great because it starts as what feels like a retread but then becomes its own thing.

Personally I've blown way too much $ on movies in the past few weeks. one of the new ones I got was Takashi Miike's "Fudoh: The New Generation" which was fucking bonkers. my friend and I kept asking ourselves how we had gotten this far in life without seeing it sooner. pretty much everything is nuts, but my favorite was the girl who can shoot darts out of a dart tube in her pussy. it's amazing and you need to see it to believe it. she later turns out to have a dick and fucks some other hot chick. tons of people die as violently as possible. it's great!

Hemwick
moderate user

« Reply #2662 on: May 24, 2019, 06:35:11 PM »

True detective season 2

Hmmm, I really tried with that one -

Personally I've blown way too much $ on movies in the past few weeks. one of the new ones I got was Takashi Miike's "Fudoh: The New Generation" which was fucking bonkers. my friend and I kept asking ourselves how we had gotten this far in life without seeing it sooner. pretty much everything is nuts, but my favorite was the girl who can shoot darts out of a dart tube in her pussy. it's amazing and you need to see it to believe it. she later turns out to have a dick and fucks some other hot chick. tons of people die as violently as possible. it's great!

I need to find a copy of this I forgot about it.  Full metal Yakuza was great with how wild it got but this sounds fun
EXU
moderate user

« Reply #2663 on: May 25, 2019, 07:34:14 PM »

TWO-LANE BLACKTOP - One of the greatest "pure cinema" masterpieces. I don't even care about cars and even if it's everything they do here you don't have to either. Warren Oates may be the greatest actor ever. Dennis Wison is pretty cool here and it is very sad that it's his only acting credit.
bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2664 on: May 27, 2019, 03:25:31 AM »

Deadbeat at Dawn and Yakuza Law

Both are very highly sophisticated exploitation-action films. One from Ohio and the other from Japan. Everyone involved were well-trained actors with skilled directors using scripts without any screwy logic or stupidity. Both were released on Blu-ray by Arrow Films. I watched them Saturday night; DB first, then YL. I liked'em.
Hemwick
moderate user

« Reply #2665 on: May 27, 2019, 02:12:11 PM »

Deadbeat at Dawn and Yakuza Law

Both are very highly sophisticated exploitation-action films. One from Ohio and the other from Japan. Everyone involved were well-trained actors with skilled directors using scripts without any screwy logic or stupidity. Both were released on Blu-ray by Arrow Films. I watched them Saturday night; DB first, then YL. I liked'em.

Deadbeat at Dawn is one of my all time favorite films.  Jim Vanbeeber knows how to direct and his stunts are too notch.  Highly underrated
DSOL
Heavy user

« Reply #2666 on: May 27, 2019, 06:01:45 PM »

binged the 1st 3 episodes of Chernobyl Friday night, waiting for episode 4 tonight
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 06:08:22 PM by DSOL » Logged

"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #2667 on: May 29, 2019, 05:38:06 PM »

Takeshi Kitano's "Sonatine" from 1993. I got the plots for this and "Hana-bi" mixed up when I picked this one but it was a happy accident since this movie was goddamn great. I've watched A LOT of movies in the last 6 months and this has to be easily in my top 3. I really loved Kitano's debut "Violent Cop" a while back, but this is even better than that. I guess it's his most praised film so I'm not saying anything new. It's enjoyable as a yakuza film, it's enjoyable as a character study, it's a nice way to see Okinawa, it's effective as a meditation on the desensitizing effects of violence, and the score by Joe Hisaishi is beautiful. If you're into Japanese film beyond the exploitation stuff it'll be hard not to like this.

absurdexposition
Diehard user

« Reply #2668 on: May 29, 2019, 05:54:02 PM »

High Life, new sci-fi film from Claire Denis. I'm into her work (Beau Travail is great), and along with Trouble Every Day this one probably rounds out her top 3. A friend I went with summed it up nicely, "Solaris with a sex room."

Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Primitive Isolation Tactics
Hemwick
moderate user

« Reply #2669 on: May 29, 2019, 07:00:59 PM »

Takeshi Kitano's "Sonatine" from 1993. I got the plots for this and "Hana-bi" mixed up when I picked this one but it was a happy accident since this movie was goddamn great. I've watched A LOT of movies in the last 6 months and this has to be easily in my top 3. I really loved Kitano's debut "Violent Cop" a while back, but this is even better than that. I guess it's his most praised film so I'm not saying anything new. It's enjoyable as a yakuza film, it's enjoyable as a character study, it's a nice way to see Okinawa, it's effective as a meditation on the desensitizing effects of violence, and the score by Joe Hisaishi is beautiful. If you're into Japanese film beyond the exploitation stuff it'll be hard not to like this.

Sounds excellent.  The films you post are up my alley.  I've been diving into Asian Cinema over the past year and find it to be my overall favorite experiences with film.  How do you feel about. A Snake of June and Vital? I found them to be abosultey moving and masterfully crafted.
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 174 175 176 177 [178] 179 180 181 182 183 184
  Print  

Jump to: